PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a rogue/lock

Chelios
2014-09-09, 02:16 PM
Hi i must fulfill the role of the scout/skillmonkey/stealth guy in my party.
I love the idea of an archfey pact warlock/rogue. Help me build the pc, please.

Shadow
2014-09-09, 02:20 PM
Hi i must fulfill the role of the scout/skillmonkey/stealth guy in my party.
I love the idea of an archfey pact warlock/rogue. Help me build the pc, please.

Bardlock will fill that role as well as a roglock, and will have a ton more symmetry is doing so. It will also be invariably better at the skillmonkey portion.
The problem with rogue and warlock is that their two defining features do not play well together. You can't sneak attack with an eldritch blast.

Callin
2014-09-09, 02:39 PM
Since when is Eldritch Blast a Defining Feature of the Warlock Class in 5th?

Go Half Elf though for 2 extra skills. (to be on topic)

Chelios
2014-09-09, 02:49 PM

I don't know if i want to go chain pact or blade pact. Adivices?

Shadow
2014-09-09, 03:02 PM

EB is the one thing that allows a warlock to have any sort of consistent at will damage. Without it, a warlock basically sucks unless it goes pact blade. Even then PB doesn't get good until level 12. As this is a multi concept that needs to be workable prior to level 20, and considering SA won't scale well with a multi unless you only want a splash, focusing on EB is the way to go.
But like I said, EB and SA don't play well together.

By going bard instead of rogue:
same HD
better saves
one less skill at level 1
jack of all trades at bard 2 (which rogue doesn't get)
three more proficiencies at lore bard 3 (which now beats rogue by 2)
expertise at bard 3 & 10 (instead of rogue 1 & 6)
full bard casting (minus warlock levels, only 2 needed)
the extra slots per short rest via warlock are actually useful for bard spells known
better at will damage (multiclassed sneak attack will do less damage than invocation powered EBs)
healing and CC for if/when you get caught scouting (at which point SA sucks and EB still functions at full)
Two levels (or a few more) of warlock on a bard is simply and plainly better at being a skillmonkey, and almost (or just) as good at stealth, while being a much more versatile and capable scout than a rogue/warlock would be.

Vowtz
2014-09-09, 03:35 PM
I agree that EB and SA don't synergise and this combination of classes appear to be bad, but even if unoptmized you can still go with darkness + devil sight for auto SA.

Your damage would be weapon + hex + dex + sa damage in one attack/ round. Not good, but maybe acceptable.

Callin
2014-09-09, 04:48 PM
Also if you do go Chain pact you have a built in Invisible (Imp) buddy to always let you get SA off. But I would go that route if Ranged. Use the Imp Poison on your Arrows plus have him sit Invisible at your target.

Yorrin
2014-09-09, 05:54 PM
Or

Blade Pact 6/Rogue x

with a rapier pact blade and second attack from 'lock, with melee focused invocations (Fiendish Vigor, Armor of Shadows) or social focused invocations (Mask of Many Faces, Beguiling Influence). Makes a better "magical" rogue than Arcane Trickster. Admittedly so does straight bard, but straight bard sucks in the damage department, whereas this will keep up nicely.

Person_Man
2014-09-09, 08:20 PM
I agree that Bard/Warlock is superior to Rogue/Warlock.

Way of the Shadow Monk is also pretty awesome for scouting/stealth purposes.

Druid is also surprisingly good at Stealth and scouting, thanks to open ended Wildshape that grants all sorts of benefits. Also, how many enemies really suspect a bat, hawk, or rat, is really an adventurer?

If you do go Rogue/Warlock, I would go Pact of the Blade + Thirsting Blade for the second attack and an additional chance to trigger Sneak Attack, which will either increase your damage output or free up your Bonus Action on most rounds for other purposes.

Assassin Rogue is hands down the best Rogue option, especially if you're just dipping into Rogue. Remember that spells with attack rolls can crit.

Do you know your ability scores? It'll have a big impact on what weapons and armor you should use.

Chelios
2014-09-10, 01:31 AM
I agree that Bard/Warlock is superior to Rogue/Warlock.

Way of the Shadow Monk is also pretty awesome for scouting/stealth purposes.

Druid is also surprisingly good at Stealth and scouting, thanks to open ended Wildshape that grants all sorts of benefits. Also, how many enemies really suspect a bat, hawk, or rat, is really an adventurer?

If you do go Rogue/Warlock, I would go Pact of the Blade + Thirsting Blade for the second attack and an additional chance to trigger Sneak Attack, which will either increase your damage output or free up your Bonus Action on most rounds for other purposes.

Assassin Rogue is hands down the best Rogue option, especially if you're just dipping into Rogue. Remember that spells with attack rolls can crit.

Do you know your ability scores? It'll have a big impact on what weapons and armor you should use.
I have str 8 dex 16 con 14 wis 10 int 12 cha 16.
A warlpck 7 ( pact of the blade)/ rogue ( assassin) 13 deals more dmgs than a pure rogue ( assassin) 20.