PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Gitp Makes: The Gladiator [3.5]

Teapot Salty
2014-09-09, 04:08 PM
Hey guys. I've always wanted to try doing this, so I will. I have seen a bunch of "Gitp makes X" things, so I figured, why not give it a shot (and it will help give me some experience with tables, but that's beside the point) I'm going to impose a few restrictions though, to give it some structure:

1: Let's make this a base class, using the concept of "Gladiator" as the slate.
2: First poster determines basic fluff, fallowing gladiator idea. Second poster determines saves and base attack bonus. Third poster determines the main ability scores (str, dex, cha/dex, con, int/Str, int. Etc.) Fourth poster chooses skills/skillpoints, fifth poster does proficiency, and every poster thereafter determine special class features. Sound Simple enough? Go nuts.

EDITS: I like what extra anchovies has added for their two cents, though the It's supposed to be fluff man, geeze anyway, I forgot to add that skills/skill points should be chosen by the fourth poster, so that's edited in. Also, 5th poster is doing proficiency.

Incidentally, I will change fluff to better accept the class features if need be, don't let any of the fluff here stop you posting class features, provided you fallow the basic str/cha thing.

-------------------------------------
Some take up the arms for glory, some are dragged into the arena, but all Gladiators share a lethal talent with weapons and showmanship. Striking enemies in ways to cause the most pain possible, using the fury of the crowd to egg him on and inspire doubt in his enemies.

Abilities: As a Gladiator is both a warrior and a showman, strength and charisma are important to him, and he has many class features based on them. A Gladiator might also benefit from a high wisdom or intelligence score.

Base attack bonus
Fortitude
Reflex
Will
Special

+1
+2
+2
+2
It's Just Good For Business
Arena Prowess: Reflex Saves
Arena Trick: 1 Strike

+2
+3
+3
+3
Evasion

+3
+3
+3
+3
Arena Prowess: Critical Confirmation
Bloodhound

+4
+4
+4
+4
The Crowds Roar: Double Attack and Damage
Lesser Gladiator's Talent
Spectacular Strike

+5
+4
+4
+4
Battle to the Death 1+cha/day

+6/+1
+5
+5
+5
Retreat is not an Option

+7/+2
+5
+5
+5
Arena Prowess: Intiative
Arena Trick: Two strikes

+8/+3
+6
+6
+6
Battle to the Death 2+cha/day
The Crowds Roar: +30 speed, Mettle
Blade Rush
Improved Spectacular Strike

+9/+4
+6
+6
+6

+10/+5
+7
+7
+7
Greater Gladiator's Talent
Crowd Pleaser

+11/+6/+1
+7
+7
+7
Battle to the Death 3+cha/day
Arena Prowess: Opposed Checks

+12/+7/+2
+8
+8
+8
The Crowds Roar: Improved Mettle
Greater Spectacular Strike

+13/+8/+3
+8
+8
+8

+14/+9/+4
+9
+9
+9
Battle to the Death 4+cha/day
Arena Trick: Boost or Stance

+15/+10/+5
+9
+9
+9
Arena Prowess: Opportunity attack and Damage

+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+10
+10
The Crowds Roar: Take 10
Master Gladiator's Talent

+17/+12/+7/+2
+10
+10
+10
Battle to the Death 5+cha/day

+18/+13/+8/+3
+11
+11
+11

+19/+14/+9/+4
+11
+11
+11

+20/+15/+10/+5
+12
+12
+12
Battle to the Death 6+cha/day
Arena Trick: Boost or Stance
Juggernaut

Hit dice: 1d10+constitution modifier

Skills: 4+int modifier(*4 at first level) The Gladiators class skills (and key abilities of each skill) are:
Climb (str), Craft (int), Handle Animal (cha), Intimidate (cha), Jump (str), Listen (wis) Preform (weapon drill) (cha), Ride (dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (wis), and Swim (str)

Class Features:

Arena Trick(Su): At level 1, the Gladiator selects 1 strike maneuver from any list that is 1st level. At each level he may switch this strike maneuver to any other that a swordsage of his level could cast. At level 7, this increases to two strike maneuvers, and at level 14, this increases to 2 strike maneuvers and 1 boost or stance, at level 20, this increases to 2 strikes, 1 stance, and 1 boost. A maneuver takes 5 rounds to recover in order to be used again.

It's Just Good Business: Gladiators are expensive, and trained gladiators even more so--having them dying off every match would cost several fortunes to replace. At first level, Gladiators may deal nonlethal damage with lethal weapons. When they do so, they may opt to make a Perform (Weapons Drill) check against the victim's AC: on a success, it looks to any outside observer that they inflicted real damage to the opponent, who gains a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff checks to feign injuries/weakness or play dead for the rest of battle.

Arena Prowess (Ex):
All the strength, endurance, and agility in the world are not enough to keep a gladiator alive if he does not know how to use them. Some gladiators rely on their cunning and wits to see how to best apply their talents, others resort to gut senses and intuition, and some even use their flashy personalities to swing the crowd—and thus often the fight—in their favor. At 1st level, a gladiator must choose whether they rely on cunning, intuition, or flair to survive the grueling challenges faced in the fighting pits. If they choose cunning, they add their Intelligence modifier as an insight bonus to their Reflex saves. If they choose intuition, they instead add their Wisdom modifier as an insight bonus to their Reflex saves. If they choose flair, they add their Charisma modifier as an insight bonus to their Reflex saves. At 3rd level, they also apply the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to rolls made to confirm critical hits. At 7th level they add the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to Initiative checks. At 11th level they add the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to any check made to oppose an enemy’s bull rush, disarm, feint, overrun, sunder, or trip attempt. At 15th level, they add the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls made whenever they make an attack of opportunity.

Evasion [Ex]: At 2nd level, the Gladiator gains Evasion as a bonus feat.

Bloodhound (Ex): Once you shed blood, the Gladiator WILL find you. Starting at 3rd level, the Gladiator may smear blood no older than 24 hours onto his cheeks in order to gain the Track feat to find the owner. The Gladiator must have caused the bloodshed for this feature to work.

Spectacular Strike [Ex]: At 4th level, whenever the Gladiator confirms a critical hit, the creature is also dazzled. At 8th level this increases to shaken, and at 12th level, it increases to blindness. A creature will still be affected by this, even if they are immune to criticals.

Gladiator's Talent (Ex):
Starting at 4th level, a gladiator learns how to further use their skills, both mental and physical, to frighten their foes, make a well-placed, crippling attack, or anticipate the next few moments of the fight.

A gladiator who chose Flair at 1st level can, as a swift action, attempt to demoralize all adjacent foes. Enemies receive a +2 circumstance bonus on their level checks to resist this form of intimidation. At 10th level, this ability also affects foes 10 ft away, but foes 10 ft away receive a +4 circumstance bonus on their level checks instead of +2; enemies adjacent to the gladiator still only get +2. At 16th level, this ability affects all foes within 15 ft. Enemies 15 ft away receive +6 on their level checks, enemies 10 ft away receive +4 on their level checks, and adjacent enemies receive +2 on their level checks. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1+the gladiator's Cha modifier.

A gladiator who chose Cunning at 1st level can, as a standard action, make a single melee attack against a foe within reach. If it hits, the attack deals normal damage and the gladiator chooses one of the target's physical ability scores. If the gladiator chooses Strength or Dexterity, the target takes 1d6 ability damage to that ability score. If the gladiator chooses Constitution, the target instead takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage. If the attack misses, the attempt is wasted. A 10th-level gladiator instead deals either 2d4 points of Strength or Dexterity damage, or 1d6 points of Constitution damage. At 16th level, a gladiator deals 2d6 Strength or Dexterity damage, or 2d4 points of constitution damage. Creatures that are immune to critical hits due to having a homogenous form, such as oozes, are not affected by this ability; creatures that are immune to critical hits for a different reason, such as undead and constructs, can still be affected by this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1+the gladiator's Int modifier, and can only be used against a specific creature once per hour.

A gladiator who chose Intuition at 1st level can, as an immediate action, move 5 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity. This movement ignores speed penalties terrain such as rubble, but not impassable terrain such as a wall. At 10th level, they may instead move up to 10 feet as an immediate action. At 16th level, the movement increases to 15 feet. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1+the gladiator's Wis modifier.

The Crowd's Roar(Ex): A Gladiator is so used to the cheers and jeers of the crowd that even imagining hearing it sets his heart racing. At 4th level, double all of the Gladiator's morale bonuses to damage rolls and d20 rolls. At 8th level, the Gladiator gains +30 ft movement speed to all of his forms of movement if he has a morale bonus. If he has a morale bonus, he also gains Mettle. At 12th level, he gains Improved Mettle if he has a morale bonus. At 16th level, while he has a morale bonus, he can take 10 on any d20 roll, even if he's threatened or making an attack roll. Even if he takes 10 on the attack roll, he still rolls to determine if he can threaten a critical hit.

Battle to the Death (Ex): At level 5, the Gladiator may choose one creature who has no less than his current level - 2 in hit dice. Both the Gladiator and the Creature take a -6 penalty to Hit AC. Both the Gladiator and the creature gain DR 5/- to anything else attacking them. This effect lasts for 3 rounds. The Gladiator may use this 1 + CHA Mod per day. He gains another use every 3 levels.

Retreat is Not an Option: A Gladiator fights all the more fiercely against terrifying opponents. At 6th level, whenever a Gladiator is subject to a fear effect, she draws from her reserves of courage and faces it. A shaken Gladiator negates the penalties and actually gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks against the source of fear; a frightened Gladiator furthermore ignores the compulsion to run away and ignores difficult terrain and other natural impediments when drawing near the enemy; a panicked Gladiator gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and never cowers (thus, it may act even if there is no chance to escape, but may only target or act against the source of her fear). Penalties to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks still apply on the Gladiator for any creature of object that is not the source of fear (except for cowering). If the Gladiator manages to defeat or destroy the source of fear, she is healed from the condition.

Crowd Pleaser [Ex]: At 7th level, a Gladiator may make a Perform (Weapons Drill) check in the middle of the battle with a DC of 10 + CR of the lowest level creature. If passed, the Gladiator makes all nearby allies within 30ft gain a +1 morale bonus to all die rolls for 1 round, and all enemies within 30ft take a -1 morale penalty to all die rolls. This takes an immediate action.

Blade Rush (Ex): Once every 10 rounds, a 8th level Gladiator may attack every creature around him, using the AC of the weakest enemy.

Juggernaut (Ex): At level 20, the Gladiator becomes a pinnacle of the arena. The Gladiator gains a +2 STR Bonus and once per encounter, may enter into blade fury mode, which allows him to attack 5 times with no penalty on each iterative attack. This mode lasts for 5 rounds.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 04:38 PM
Fluff? It's a gladiator. There's your fluff. Doesn't matter if they were a slave or a professional, it's the same skill set.

I'm also going to throw in my two bits for how the mechanics should work:

Good BAB
Good Fortitude save, poor Reflex and Will saves
d10 hit die, 4+int skills/level (make sure Bluff, Intimidate, Sense Motive, and the stealth skills are on the list)
Progressively increasing bonus to saves vs fear, eventually resulting in immunity to fear
Probably give them Mettle at some point (between 4th and 10th level)
Fighter bonus feats at 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th
Two free Exotic Weapon Proficiencies at 1st level, maybe a few more at higher levels (5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th, maybe)
Ability to make untrained Knowledge checks, but only for the purpose of identifying creatures/creatures' weaknesses; +1 bonus to ID creatures for every four class levels (+1 at 4th, +2 at 8th, etc). This represents the knowledge they gained of exotic beasts either by fighting them or by seeing others go up against monsters in the arena
Sneak attack +1d6 at 3rd, +2d6 at 8th, +3d6 at 13th, +4d6 at 18th
At 1st level, they choose either to focus on intuition or to focus on cunning. Focusing on intuition gives Wisdom synergy, focusing on Cunning gives Int synergy. Adds the chosen bonus to Reflex saves at 1st level, to crit confirmation rolls at 3rd, to initiative at 7th, to opposed checks (e.g. from bull rush or trip) at 11th, and to attack rolls for attacks of opportunity at 15th. Similar to the Warblade's Int synergy, but adds to initiative instead of to damage vs flat-footed/flanked enemies, because there's already a Sneak Attack progression.
Uncanny dodge and Improved Uncanny dodge in there somewhere.

That's probably a good place to at least start, I think. Seems a little powerful, but it's a wholly nonmagical class.

1pwny
2014-09-09, 06:34 PM
Nice! I get BAB and saves! 20 BAB and all good saves! (read the OP)

Zaydos
2014-09-09, 06:40 PM
A gladiator is a showmen and a warrior thus obviously they should have Strength and Charisma.

Amechra
2014-09-09, 06:43 PM
4 + Int, with a copypasta of the Barbarian skill list.

OK, fine, they get Perform (Weapon Drill), Diplomacy, and Sense Motive too.

gr8artist
2014-09-09, 09:51 PM
Thought I was the first guy in the class features group. Oops.
Proficient with all simple weapons, and all martial and exotic weapons from a single weapon group (such as light blades, axes, or projectiles).
Proficient with light and medium armor, even though no one ever uses medium armor.

The best gladiators were living legends, idealized and exemplified. As such, our gladiator class should gain a class feature to reflect the exaggeration of a particular style or method of fighting.
We can call this feature his Prowess. He may re-train his Prowess with 1 week's worth of work, 8 hours a day. At higher levels, this becomes 1 hour per day for 1 week, and then 8 hours of work in 1 day. Possibly even 4 hours in 1 day at max level.

Feral Prowess: Bonus to intimidation and combat maneuver checks, gets extra attacks and actions on a charge or under other circumstances like tripping.
Invulnerable Prowess: Bonus to AC and saves, small bonus to DR.
Nimble Prowess: Bonus to precision damage, sneak attack, and acrobatics/tumble checks.
Marksman Prowess: Bonus to ranged damage, attack rolls, and spot checks.
Commander Prowess: Bonus to aid another, flanking, giving cover to adjacent allies.
Mageslayer Prowess: Bonus to saves and change some of armor/shield bonus to deflection. Some bonuses to the DC of concentration checks he provokes.
Reckless Prowess: Bonus to attack and damage rolls, initiative checks, and movement speed.
Monstrous Prowess: Bonus to threat range and critical multipliers, and intimidation checks.

Re-word and balance as appropriate for 3.5, since I'm a PF main. Suggested bonuses are 1/4 BAB. BAB, not level, so multiclassing still works.

Alternatively, give him the option to pick other class features, like teamwork feats, barbarian Rage, inspire courage, sneak attack, monk damage progression, etc.

Edit for not realizing I was supposed to do proficiencies instead of features.

Teapot Salty
2014-09-09, 11:00 PM
Thought I was the first guy in the class features group. Oops.
Proficient with all simple weapons, and all martial and exotic weapons from a single weapon group (such as light blades, axes, or projectiles).
Proficient with light and medium armor, even though no one ever uses medium armor.

The best gladiators were living legends, idealized and exemplified. As such, our gladiator class should gain a class feature to reflect the exaggeration of a particular style or method of fighting.
We can call this feature his Prowess. He may re-train his Prowess with 1 week's worth of work, 8 hours a day. At higher levels, this becomes 1 hour per day for 1 week, and then 8 hours of work in 1 day. Possibly even 4 hours in 1 day at max level.

Feral Prowess: Bonus to intimidation and combat maneuver checks, gets extra attacks and actions on a charge or under other circumstances like tripping.
Invulnerable Prowess: Bonus to AC and saves, small bonus to DR.
Nimble Prowess: Bonus to precision damage, sneak attack, and acrobatics/tumble checks.
Marksman Prowess: Bonus to ranged damage, attack rolls, and spot checks.
Commander Prowess: Bonus to aid another, flanking, giving cover to adjacent allies.
Mageslayer Prowess: Bonus to saves and change some of armor/shield bonus to deflection. Some bonuses to the DC of concentration checks he provokes.
Reckless Prowess: Bonus to attack and damage rolls, initiative checks, and movement speed.
Monstrous Prowess: Bonus to threat range and critical multipliers, and intimidation checks.

Re-word and balance as appropriate for 3.5, since I'm a PF main. Suggested bonuses are 1/4 BAB. BAB, not level, so multiclassing still works.

Alternatively, give him the option to pick other class features, like teamwork feats, barbarian Rage, inspire courage, sneak attack, monk damage progression, etc.

Edit for not realizing I was supposed to do proficiencies instead of features.

Dude it's fine. Though your features need some elaborating I'm not about to say no to a good idea when you thought that's what you where supposed to do. (Although I'm not throwing in Extra Anchovies as I'm considering their post more on the advice spectrum)

dragonjek
2014-09-09, 11:02 PM
It's Just Good Business: Gladiators are expensive, and trained gladiators even more so--having them dying off every match would cost several fortunes to replace. At first level, Gladiators may deal nonlethal damage with lethal weapons. When they do so, they may opt to make a Perform (Weapons Drill) check against the victim's AC: on a success, it looks to any outside observer that they inflicted real damage to the opponent, who gains a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff checks to feign injuries/weakness or play dead for the rest of battle.

spikeof2010
2014-09-09, 11:59 PM
Battle to the Death (Ex): At level 5, the Gladiator may choose one creature who has no less than his current level - 2 in hit dice. Both the Gladiator and the Creature take a -6 penalty to Hit AC. Both the Gladiator and the creature gain DR 5/- to anything else attacking them. This effect lasts for 3 rounds. The Gladiator may use this 1 + CHA Mod per day. He gains another use every 3 levels.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 12:16 AM
(since my first post was a laundry list of suggestions, I'll further elaborate on my favorite one from the list here. Count this one as my contribution, the others can be added or excluded at the discretion of later posters :smallbiggrin: )
Arena Prowess (Ex):
All the strength, endurance, and agility in the world are not enough to keep a gladiator alive if he does not know how to use them. Some gladiators rely on their cunning and wits to see how to best apply their talents, others resort to gut senses and intuition, and some even use their flashy personalities to swing the crowd—and thus often the fight—in their favor. At 1st level, a gladiator must choose whether they rely on cunning, intuition, or flair to survive the grueling challenges faced in the fighting pits. If they choose cunning, they add their Intelligence modifier as an insight bonus to their Reflex saves. If they choose intuition, they instead add their Wisdom modifier as an insight bonus to their Reflex saves. If they choose flair, they add their Charisma modifier as an insight bonus to their Reflex saves. At 3rd level, they also apply the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to rolls made to confirm critical hits. At 7th level they add the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to Initiative checks. At 11th level they add the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to any check made to oppose an enemy’s bull rush, disarm, feint, overrun, sunder, or trip attempt. At 15th level, they add the chosen ability modifier as an insight bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls made whenever they make an attack of opportunity.

On the class table, these can be represented as multiple entries. Arena Prowess (Reflex saves) at 1st, Arena Prowess (Confirmation rolls) at 3rd, Arena Prowess (Initiative) at 7th, Arena Prowess (Opposed checks) at 11th, and Arena Prowess (Attacks of opportunity) at 15th.

ETA: If you decide to not include this one because I've already made some suggestions, I'd be okay with that.

Teapot Salty
2014-09-10, 12:31 AM
(since my first post was a laundry list of suggestions, I'll further elaborate on my favorite one from the list here. Count this one as my contribution, the others can be added or excluded at the discretion of later posters :smallbiggrin: )
Arena Prowess (Ex):

On the class table, these can be represented as multiple entries. Arena Prowess (Reflex saves) at 1st, Arena Prowess (Confirmation rolls) at 3rd, Arena Prowess (Initiative) at 7th, Arena Prowess (Opposed checks) at 11th, and Arena Prowess (Attacks of opportunity) at 15th.

ETA: If you decide to not include this one because I've already made some suggestions, I'd be okay with that.

Suggestions are not the same as contributions, therefore you still get to contribute.
And a suggestion from myself, these features that Extra has look like they could be used to do some cool effects beyond what they added: Flair can intimidate as a swift action at level 10, Intuition They can take a 5ft step as there being attacked. I dunno, it seems like something that we can build the whole class on if we chose.

Kamai
2014-09-10, 12:34 AM
The Crowd's Roar(Ex): A Gladiator is so used to the cheers and jeers of the crowd that even imagining hearing it sets his heart racing. At 4th level, double all of the Gladiator's morale bonuses to damage rolls and d20 rolls. At 8th level, the Gladiator gains +30 ft movement speed to all of his forms of movement if he has a morale bonus. If he has a morale bonus, he also gains Mettle. At 12th level, he gains Improved Mettle if he has a morale bonus. At 16th level, while he has a morale bonus, he can take 10 on any d20 roll, even if he's threatened or making an attack roll. Even if he takes 10 on the attack roll, he still rolls to determine if he can threaten a critical hit.

spikeof2010
2014-09-10, 12:35 AM
Bloodhound (Ex): Once you shed blood, the Gladiator WILL find you. Starting at 3rd level, the Gladiator may smear blood no older than 24 hours onto his cheeks in order to gain the Track feat to find the owner. The Gladiator must have caused the bloodshed for this feature to work.

Arena Trick (Su): At level 1, the Gladiator selects 1 strike maneuver from any list that is 1st level. At each level he may switch this strike maneuver to any other that a swordsage of his level could cast. At level 7, this increases to two strike maneuvers, and at level 14, this increases to 2 strike maneuvers and 1 boost or stance, at level 20, this increases to 2 strikes, 1 stance, and 1 boost. A maneuver takes 5 rounds to recover in order to be used again.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 12:46 AM
Suggestions are not the same as contributions, therefore you still get to contribute.
And a suggestion from myself, these features that Extra has look like they could be used to do some cool effects beyond what they added: Flair can intimidate as a swift action at level 10, Intuition They can take a 5ft step as there being attacked. I dunno, it seems like something that we can build the whole class on if we chose.

Hm, I like both of those concepts. Maybe an ability gained at 4th level that becomes more powerful at 10th and 16th levels? Those are all currently dead levels, after all (or at least they were when I was typing this). Flair could be intimidate all adjacent foes as a swift action, increasing to all foes within 10 feet at 10th level and all foes within 15 feet at 16th level. Cunning could be a precision attack of some sort, maybe +Int modifier to attack and +1/2 class level to damage; at 10th level it applies to all attacks they make during their turn, and at 16th level it instead applies to all attacks they make until the start of their next turn (so it also applies to AoOs they make). Intuition could be move 5 feet as an immediate action without provoking AoOs and ignoring difficult terrain (potentially forcing wasted enemy actions), increased to 10 ft and 10th level and 15 ft at 16th level. All three would be usable 1+(chosen ability modifier)/day, minimum 1.

Looking just at those, Flair seems like it's the strongest, followed by Cunning. Maybe Flair's ability would be made with a penalty on the Intimidate check (-2 or -4, I dunno) and Intuition's could have more uses/day than the others?

Teapot Salty
2014-09-10, 12:49 AM
Hm, I like both of those concepts. Maybe an ability gained at 4th level that becomes more powerful at 10th and 16th levels? Those are all currently dead levels, after all. Flair could be intimidate all adjacent foes as a swift action a number of times per day per point of Charisma bonus, increasing to all foes within 10 feet at 10th level and all foes within 15 feet at 16th level. Cunning could be a precision attack of some sort, maybe +Int modifier to attack and +1/2 class level to damage; at 10th level it applies to all attacks they make during their turn, and at 16th level it instead applies to all attacks they make until the start of their next turn (so it also applies to AoOs they make). Intuition could be move 5 feet as an immediate action without provoking AoOs and ignoring difficult terrain (potentially forcing wasted enemy actions), increased to 10 ft and 10th level and 15 ft at 16th level.

Looking just at those, Flair seems like it's the strongest, followed by Cunning. Maybe Flair's ability would be made with a penalty on the Intimidate check (-2 or -4, I dunno) and Intuition's could have more uses/day than the others?

-2 at adjacent, -4 at 10 ft and -6 at 15ft? I dunno about cunning, I't just a damage boost at the end of the day, maybe ability score damage would work better, like 1d4 at 4th, to 1d8 at eighth and 1d12 at tenth, to a chosen physical?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 12:56 AM
-2 at adjacent, -4 at 10 ft and -6 at 15ft? I dunno about cunning, I't just a damage boost at the end of the day, maybe ability score damage would work better, like 1d4 at 4th, to 1d8 at eighth and 1d12 at tenth, to a chosen physical?

Hm. Constitution damage is (almost) always going to be better than Strength or Dexterity damage, maybe 4th level could deal 1d6 to Str or Dex or 1d4 to Con, and then at 10th level it could deal 2d4 (Str or Dex) or 1d6 (Con), and then at 16th it could deal 2d6 or 1d8?

The penalties you suggest for Flair's ability seem pretty fair. Maybe instead of penalties to your check, it would be more easily adjudicated by giving enemies within range a bonus to their level checks based on how far away they are from you (e.g. regardless of your level, adjacent foes get +2, foes 10 feet away get +4, and foes 15 feet away get +6, but you can only target adjacent foes at 4th).

Now it seems like Cunning's is the strongest, but that may be because it has the most direct affect. Demoralizing all of the mooks within 15 feet can mean a lot, especially if you're stacking fear effects to panic them (or force them to cower... ouch). And being able to negate BBEG's full attack or targeted spell could be the only thing keeping you alive. Changing Cunning's effect to ability damage is nice, because now one of them (cunning) is best against single foes, one of them (flair) is best against multiple foes, and one of them (intuition) is primarily defensive.

ETA: To ensure that Intuition's isn't just used to get movement+full attacks, maybe it could only be usable when they would be subject to an effect/attack created by an enemy? This would still allow them to move out of the radius of a fireball or dodge a full attack, which is what it seems like what it should do.

Teapot Salty
2014-09-10, 01:04 AM
Hm. Constitution damage is (almost) always going to be better than Strength or Dexterity damage, maybe 4th level could deal 1d6 to Str or Dex or 1d4 to Con, and then at 10th level it could deal 2d4 (Str or Dex) or 1d6 (Con), and then at 16th it could deal 2d6 or 1d8?

The penalties you suggest for Flair's ability seem pretty fair. Maybe instead of penalties to your check, it would be more easily adjudicated by giving enemies within range a bonus to their level checks based on how far away they are from you (e.g. regardless of your level, adjacent foes get +2, foes 10 feet away get +4, and foes 15 feet away get +6, but you can only target adjacent foes at 4th).

Now it seems like Cunning's is the strongest, but that may be because it has the most direct affect. Demoralizing all of the mooks within 15 feet can mean a lot, especially if you're stacking fear effects to panic them (or force them to cower... ouch). And being able to negate BBEG's full attack or targeted spell could be the only thing keeping you alive. Changing Cunning's effect to ability damage is nice, because now one of them (cunning) is best against single foes, one of them (flair) is best against multiple foes, and one of them (intuition) is primarily defensive.

ETA: To ensure that Intuition's isn't just used to get movement+full attacks, maybe it could only be usable when they would be subject to an effect created by an enemy? This would still allow them to move out of the radius of a fireball or dodge a full attack, which is what it seems like what it should do.

I guess you could say that the intimidate penalties are *sunglasses* Flair. I like what you suggested for Cunning. Although it does feel like a buff. Maybe we strictly do uses per day over giving a bonus to damage, cause a d12 to physical (d8 for con?) is really scary at level 10. Intuition is starting to look mediocre at best. I feel like it should have an offensive function as well.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 01:10 AM
I guess you could say that the intimidate penalties are *sunglasses* Flair. I like what you suggested for Cunning. Although it does feel like a buff. Maybe we strictly do uses per day over giving a bonus to damage, cause a d12 to physical (d8 for con?) is really scary at level 10. Intuition is starting to look mediocre at best. I feel like it should have an offensive function as well.

At tenth level, actually, the ability damage that I suggested would be 2d4 Str or Dex or 1d6 Con. It's not until 16th level that it's 2d6 Str or Dex or 1d8 (maybe 2d4) con (progression is 4th/10th/16th). Having the Int synergy also means more skill points so it might be worth making that one a bit less powerful. And now that you point it out, giving the Intuition ability an offensive use would be good. Removing the conditional modifier makes it usable to move a bit and still full attack, and would especially be useful because it ignores difficult terrain. I suppose it could be fluffed as anticipating an opponent's movements, which can be an asset both offensively and defensively.

ETA: Suggested name and fluff for the ability.

Gladiator's Talent (Ex):
Starting at 4th level, a gladiator learns how to further use their skills, both mental and physical, to frighten their foes, make a well-placed, crippling attack, or anticipate the next few moments of the fight. [proceeds to explain crunch]

Teapot Salty
2014-09-10, 01:32 AM
At tenth level, actually, the ability damage that I suggested would be 2d4 Str or Dex or 1d6 Con. It's not until 16th level that it's 2d6 Str or Dex or 1d8 (maybe 2d4) con (progression is 4th/10th/16th). Having the Int synergy also means more skill points so it might be worth making that one a bit less powerful. And now that you point it out, giving the Intuition ability an offensive use would be good. Removing the conditional modifier makes it usable to move a bit and still full attack, and would especially be useful because it ignores difficult terrain. I suppose it could be fluffed as anticipating an opponent's movements, which can be an asset both offensively and defensively.

ETA: Suggested name and fluff for the ability.

Gladiator's Talent (Ex):
Starting at 4th level, a gladiator learns how to further use their skills, both mental and physical, to frighten their foes, make a well-placed, crippling attack, or anticipate the next few moments of the fight. [proceeds to explain crunch]

Ugh your making me wright it out? But:
:belkar: Laziness pays of right now
which is to say, I'll do it tommarow.

gr8artist
2014-09-10, 01:36 AM
Not to nitpick your conversation, but I was under the impression that Dex damage was often preferred against larger, beefier monsters. Con basically just lowers their health, which is essentially HP damage, but massive dragons and giants and such often have <10 dex, so it doesn't take much to incapacitate them that way.
In an arena setting, this is obviously not true, but strength damage would probably be preferred, so that you could win but have it still be showy without slaying your opponent (and costing his owner/manager a lot of money), all the while reducing the danger you are in.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 01:58 AM
ETA:

Not to nitpick your conversation, but I was under the impression that Dex damage was often preferred against larger, beefier monsters. Con basically just lowers their health, which is essentially HP damage, but massive dragons and giants and such often have <10 dex, so it doesn't take much to incapacitate them that way.
In an arena setting, this is obviously not true, but strength damage would probably be preferred, so that you could win but have it still be showy without slaying your opponent (and costing his owner/manager a lot of money), all the while reducing the danger you are in.

True, but by the time a gladiator is able to deal the 10 dexterity damage necessary to paralyze a dragon, a wizard can cast Shivering Touch with Reach Spell applied up to 4/day before bonus spells, or Empowered Reach Shivering Touch up to 3/day before bonus spells. And the 3d6 from Shivering Touch is much more likely to deal the requisite 10 dexterity damage than is the gladiator's 2d6.

Ugh your making me wright it out? But:
:belkar: Laziness pays of right now
which is to say, I'll do it tommarow.

Nah, I have the brainpower to do it right now, so I'll type out a tentative version:

Gladiator's Talent (Ex):
Starting at 4th level, a gladiator learns how to further use their skills, both mental and physical, to frighten their foes, make a well-placed, crippling attack, or anticipate the next few moments of the fight.

A gladiator who chose Flair at 1st level can, as a swift action, attempt to demoralize all adjacent foes. Enemies receive a +2 circumstance bonus on their level checks to resist this form of intimidation. At 10th level, this ability also affects foes 10 ft away, but foes 10 ft away receive a +4 circumstance bonus on their level checks instead of +2; enemies adjacent to the gladiator still only get +2. At 16th level, this ability affects all foes within 15 ft. Enemies 15 ft away receive +6 on their level checks, enemies 10 ft away receive +4 on their level checks, and adjacent enemies receive +2 on their level checks. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1+the gladiator's Cha modifier.

A gladiator who chose Cunning at 1st level can, as a standard action, make a single melee attack against a foe within reach. If it hits, the attack deals normal damage and the gladiator chooses one of the target's physical ability scores. If the gladiator chooses Strength or Dexterity, the target takes 1d6 ability damage to that ability score. If the gladiator chooses Constitution, the target instead takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage. If the attack misses, the attempt is wasted. A 10th-level gladiator instead deals either 2d4 points of Strength or Dexterity damage, or 1d6 points of Constitution damage. At 16th level, a gladiator deals 2d6 Strength or Dexterity damage, or 2d4 points of constitution damage. Creatures that are immune to critical hits due to having a homogenous form, such as oozes, are not affected by this ability; creatures that are immune to critical hits for a different reason, such as undead and constructs, can still be affected by this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1+the gladiator's Int modifier, and can only be used against a specific creature once per hour.

A gladiator who chose Intuition at 1st level can, as an immediate action, move 5 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity. This movement ignores speed penalties terrain such as rubble, but not impassable terrain such as a wall. At 10th level, they may instead move up to 10 feet as an immediate action. At 16th level, the movement increases to 15 feet. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1+the gladiator's Wis modifier.

ETA2: The 4th-level ability is called Lesser Gladiator's Talent, the 10th-level ability is Greater Gladiator's Talent, and the 16th-level ability is Master Gladiator's Talent.

CinuzIta
2014-09-10, 02:21 AM
I haven't read the whole thread as I'm a but in a hurry but until I do, here there are my two cents:

- Proficiency with simple and martial weapons and with the Net. Proficiency with light and medium armors and with all shields.

- Scaling DR x/-.

- Scaling ability that inflict bleeding damages.

- Combat style bonus feats: 2 weapon, board and sword and 2 handed.

OR

2 weapon, board and sword and some sort of mystical blind sense ability (I'd Personally love to play as an Andabata)

Cheers!

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 09:59 AM
I haven't read the whole thread as I'm a but in a hurry but until I do, here there are my two cents:

- Proficiency with simple and martial weapons and with the Net. Proficiency with light and medium armors and with all shields.

- Scaling DR x/-.

- Scaling ability that inflict bleeding damages.

- Combat style bonus feats: 2 weapon, board and sword and 2 handed.

OR

2 weapon, board and sword and some sort of mystical blind sense ability (I'd Personally love to play as an Andabata)

Cheers!

Hm. I think instead of proficiency with the net, they should get any one Exotic Weapon Proficiency at 1st level, and maybe get extra EWPs at higher levels.

A bonus feat progression also makes sense. I think it would be better to leave it open-ended to allow more specialization, or develop more than just those three feat paths. Maybe Übercharger, Shield-bashing, TWF, throwing, tripping, and AoO/Robilar's Gambit? Possibly four or five feats for each at levels 2/5/8/11/14? Some suggestions, in order:

Übercharger: Power Attack, Power Lunge, Headlong Rush, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper
Shield-user: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Agile Shield Fighter, Shield Charge, Shield Slam
Two-Weapon: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Double Hit, Two-Weapon Rend, Two-Weapon Pounce
Throwing: Power Throw, Brutal Throw, Throw Anything, Neraph Throw, Storm of Throws
Tripping: Improved Trip, Sand Snare, Knock-Down, Curling Wave Strike, Vae School (but usable with any weapon)
AoO: Combat Reflexes, Expert Tactician, Clever Opportunist, Deft Opportunist, Robilar's Gambit

Teapot Salty
2014-09-10, 10:20 AM
Hm. I think instead of proficiency with the net, they should get any one Exotic Weapon Proficiency at 1st level, and maybe get extra EWPs at higher levels.

A bonus feat progression also makes sense. I think it would be better to leave it open-ended to allow more specialization, or develop more than just those three feat paths. Maybe Übercharger, Shield-bashing, TWF, throwing, tripping, and AoO/Robilar's Gambit? Possibly four or five feats for each at levels 2/5/8/11/14? Some suggestions, in order:

Übercharger: Power Attack, Power Lunge, Headlong Rush, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper
Shield-user: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Agile Shield Fighter, Shield Charge, Shield Slam
Two-Weapon: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Double Hit, Two-Weapon Rend, Two-Weapon Pounce
Throwing: Power Throw, Brutal Throw, Throw Anything, Neraph Throw, Storm of Throws
Tripping: Improved Trip, Sand Snare, Knock-Down, Curling Wave Strike, Vae School (but usable with any weapon)
AoO: Combat Reflexes, Expert Tactician, Clever Opportunist, Deft Opportunist, Robilar's Gambit

I was thinking more along the lines of you chose between mermilo, retiarius, etc. and gain bonus features because of the choice. I was thinking something like retiarius getting to drag things and knock them prone and mermilo would be a basher sort of thing.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 10:34 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of you chose between mermilo, retiarius, etc. and gain bonus features because of the choice. I was thinking something like retiarius getting to drag things and knock them prone and mermilo would be a basher sort of thing.

Hm, so unique class features instead of feats? That would certainly work, and would have more interesting fluff to it. Looking at a list of gladiator types (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_gladiator_types), it seems like the ones that would make interesting characters are as follows (with their general fighting style listed):

Bestiarius: beast-fighter; bonuses with reach weapons, when fighting enemies with Int 1 or 2, and when fighting larger foes

Dimachaerus: Two-weapon fighting

Hoplomachus/Murmillo/Provocator/Samnite/Secutor/Thraex: Sword-and-board, with some bashing stuff

Retiarius: Net-and-trident

Laquearius: Lasso and dagger, similar to Retiarius

Equites/Sagittarius: Mounted combat

Velites: Throwing, especially javelins

Teapot Salty
2014-09-11, 02:51 PM
Once this is done I do believe that this should be playtested on the forum

spikeof2010
2014-09-15, 08:43 AM
Blade Rush (Ex): Once every 10 rounds, a 8th level Gladiator may attack every creature around him, using the AC of the weakest enemy.

JKTrickster
2014-09-15, 10:06 AM
So uh....does this guy not have a HD value? :smalltongue:

Let's go with D10 how about that? :smallbiggrin:

spikeof2010
2014-09-16, 01:14 AM
Spectacular Strike [Ex]: At 4th level, whenever the Gladiator confirms a critical hit, the creature is also dazzled for 1 round. At 8th level this increases to shaken, and at 12th level, it increases to blindness. A creature will still be affected by this, even if they are immune to criticals.

Crowd Pleaser [Ex]: At 7th level, a Gladiator may make a Perform (Weapons Drill) check in the middle of the battle with a DC of 10 + CR of the lowest level creature. If passed, the Gladiator makes all nearby allies within 30ft gain a +1 morale bonus to all die rolls for 1 round, and all enemies within 30ft take a -1 morale penalty to all die rolls. This takes an immediate action.

Evasion[Ex]: At 2nd level, the Gladiator gains Evasion as a bonus feat.

Vhaidara
2014-09-16, 07:12 AM
Retreat is Not an Option: A Gladiator fights all the more fiercely against terrifying opponents. At 6th level, whenever a Gladiator is subject to a fear effect, she draws from her reserves of courage and faces it. A shaken Gladiator negates the penalties and actually gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks against the source of fear; a frightened Gladiator furthermore ignores the compulsion to run away and ignores difficult terrain and other natural impediments when drawing near the enemy; a panicked Gladiator gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and never cowers (thus, it may act even if there is no chance to escape, but may only target or act against the source of her fear). Penalties to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks still apply on the Gladiator for any creature of object that is not the source of fear (except for cowering). If the Gladiator manages to defeat or destroy the source of fear, she is healed from the condition.

I will not deny, I stole this completely from T.G. Oskar's paladin retool, but I just prefer this to fear immunity.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-16, 12:14 PM

I will not deny, I stole this completely from T.G. Oskar's paladin retool, but I just prefer this to fear immunity.

Ooooh, I like this. Reminds me of the Crimson Mist ability that barbarians get in the Conan RPG.

Also, @spikeof2010: the effects from spectacular strike should probably have durations. Someone being permanently shaken is a little... odd :smalltongue:

Teapot Salty
2014-09-16, 01:06 PM
Thank you trickster for adding the hitdice. Anyway we still have a few dead levels, and we need a capstone (or we should have one)

spikeof2010
2014-09-17, 03:04 AM
Juggernaut (Ex): At level 20, the Gladiator becomes a pinnacle of the arena. The Gladiator gains a +2 STR Bonus and once per encounter, may enter into blade fury mode, which allows him to attack 5 times with no penalty on each iterative attack. This mode lasts for 5 rounds.