PDA

View Full Version : Interacting with objects as part of a move + dash action

DevilsAttorney
2014-09-09, 04:37 PM
In the campaign we are currently running, we came across this "issue": I moved while inside a house and opened a door during that move action (it wasn't locked and opening a door is on the list of actions that can be freely performed while moving). However, I used the dash action to move further and opened a 2nd door during that action. The rule regarding opening doors and such state that it can be done as part of a movement and action. Could I have opened those 2 doors while using move/dash, or would opening a 2nd door require an actual move action on its own?

Shadow
2014-09-09, 04:45 PM
Doesn't sound like you were in a combat situation, so does it matter?
But if it does matter, then the second door requires an action of it's own (or a 3rd level thief), or waiting until next round and that round's movement (with free interaction on the move).

Beige
2014-09-09, 04:45 PM
this is once more a case of logic - can you open a door at a dead run?

I suppose it depends on the door. if you have to stop and pull it towards you then I'd assume you couldn't do it as a dash, as it requires you to stop moving to open or else you'd smash into it.

if it was the kind of door you could push away from you - or break through it - then I'd say go for it :smallbiggrin:

Giant2005
2014-09-09, 04:48 PM
You need to use an action to interact with a second object. It is on page 190 of the PHB.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-09, 07:04 PM
Yeah you only get 1 for free on a turn. Also "Other Activity On Your Turn" has a very important clause:

The DM might require you to use an action for any of these activities when it needs special care or when it presents an unusual obstacle. For instance, the DM could reasonably expect you to use an action to open a stuck door or turn a crank to lower a drawbridge.

The examples give in the sidebar because of this default to just that... examples.

There are a number of vague and shaky elements particularly in the movement part of combat that (through their silence) can be exploited in a number of ways. However it is important to remember here this is NOT a turn based tactical strategy game but scenes that are for the DM to resolve, so all those questions essentially vanish under if the DM is cool with it. Its right there in "How to Play" in the intro chapters of the rules.

DevilsAttorney
2014-09-09, 08:00 PM
Sounds good. Thanks guys!