PDA

View Full Version : [D&D] Who's playing?

Kiero
2007-03-10, 11:31 AM
It's usually a safe assumption to make that most people out there are playing D&D, being the biggest game and all. So I'm genuinely curious as to how many people on these boards are playing, or have played D&D (any edition, as long as it was actually called D&D*). Go with whatever reflects your current status - ie are you playing right now?

Bear in mind its a public poll. If you've got any comments on your choice, post them here.

*I mean every edition that was branded D&D, whether OD&D, AD&D or D&D 3.x. What doesn't count are the hordes of D&D-a-likes or customisations of AD&D1 like C&C, OSRIC, Basic Fantasy, or indeed D20/OGL rules-sets like Iron Heroes, Blue Rose and so on.

Matthew
2007-03-10, 11:52 AM
Played (O)D&D, (A)D&D 1.x, (A)D&D 2.x and D&D 3.x. We play whichever one is suitable for any given Module, but my long term D&D Campaign is House Ruled and Home Brewed (A)D&D 2.x, though I haven't had time to play it for a while.

Ravyn
2007-03-10, 11:54 PM
It's not my first choice, but it's what's there, so yeah. Not something I'd run, though.

Kiero
2007-03-11, 07:23 AM
Again I posted a similar poll on RPGnet (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=312308) and got very different results (though still a lot of people currently playing).

Galathir
2007-03-11, 01:03 PM
I have only played D&D 3.x, but if something else was to catch my interested I wouldn't mind trying it.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-11, 01:59 PM
The second option can pertain to if I used to play avidly but am on a haitus, right? If so, then that's my vote.

Natania
2007-03-11, 02:30 PM
I play dnd and have for 7 years or so.... but I don't have the luxury of it being safe to assume that most people here (holland) play dnd. most people don't know what it is/have never heard of it/assume I mean the movie.... I have to explain constantly!

RandomNPC
2007-03-11, 08:47 PM
i got the ability to pay for my D&D habbit right as the first core books came out for 3.0 i feel kinda bad about it when people talk about DR and whatnot for 2nd i know it was verry different, and now considered unbalanced, but its something i really wanted to experience.

Hypothetical
2007-03-11, 08:52 PM
I just recently found a new DM, who has been DMing for nearly 2 decades, in a world he created using the D&D rules. He's getting ready to start a new series of adventures, and I've already got my Character rolled up. Just waiting now for schedules and such to gel up among the other players he's lining up for the game.

tbarrie
2007-03-11, 11:49 PM
Again I posted a similar poll on RPGnet (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=312308) and got very different results (though still a lot of people currently playing).
Hardly surprising, given that that's a general RPG forum and this is a D&D forum.

(In fact, the percentage of people currently playing D&D over on RPGnet is surprisingly high to me.)

Kiero
2007-04-09, 06:56 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a general RPG forum, rather than only D&D one?

Dan_Hemmens
2007-04-09, 07:02 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a general RPG forum, rather than only D&D one?

I think this is a "general" RPG forum in the sense that it's about "D&D and other RPGs as well." To a lot of people, lets not forget, "D&D" and "RPG" mean the exact same thing.

Oh, and I have played D&D, would do again, but it's not my first choice.

Ranis
2007-04-09, 07:07 AM
It's not my first choice, but it's what's there, so yeah. Not something I'd run, though.

This statement confused me.

I run D&D 3.5 and a Shadowrun game.

Latronis
2007-04-09, 07:36 AM
Played AD&D, AD&D 2ndE, D&D 3.x

i play others sometimes but d&D is easiest to find

Marius
2007-04-09, 07:40 AM
I'm playing WoW d20 at the moment, pretty much the same as 3.5. If fact I'm using some 3.5 books too.

Indon
2007-04-09, 07:41 AM
I'm in between D&D campaigns at the moment (I play 3.5 when I do). At the moment, I'm running an Exalted game.

Irenaeus
2007-04-09, 08:50 AM
I played 2nd edition until the late ninties, then I played about a year with 3rd in 2002. I don't really think I will play it much anymore, but I can still suffer bouts of nostalgia.

I currently play CoC, DG, and sometimes Pendragon, TW2000, Hârn or Feng Shui.

clarkvalentine
2007-04-09, 08:56 AM
I'm currently playing Pendragon, Eberron (D&D 3.5, but I've seen ports to other good systems - I'd love to try it with FATE/Spirit of the Century sometime), and Star Wars d20. I've played a lot of Dragonlance 3.5 over the past four years but that campaign wrapped up a few months ago.

I GM Game of Thrones d20 and Dogs in the Vineyard.

I want to play Warhammer FRP, a Middle Earth game using Burning Wheel, and Qin: Warring States.

Jayabalard
2007-04-09, 08:57 AM
You need a "Yes I've played it, no I'm not currently playing it, maybe I'll play it again in the future option". I'm back on GURPS (which I think is a superior system)

Dan_Hemmens
2007-04-09, 09:01 AM
You need a "Yes I've played it, no I'm not currently playing it, maybe I'll play it again in the future option". I'm back on GURPS (which I think is a superior system)

"Have done, would again" is the second option on the list.

Jayabalard
2007-04-09, 09:22 AM
"Have done, would again" is the second option on the list."maybe I'll play it in the future" isn't the same as "would again" ... I'm actually leaning more to the "not again" category at the moment, but you never know what the future holds.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-09, 09:27 AM
Have played, am playing, will play. I'd use a different system, but this is what everyone knows best, and familiarity lends a lot to the experience.

Lolth
2007-04-09, 02:15 PM
Am playing, actually one of the DM/admins on my online chat (see .sig), and loving it.

I have been playing/running for a long time, many games, but I always find my way back to D&D it seems. While I am curious about M&M, I am mobility limited and no one around here plays.

D&D may not be the gawthiest, l33t3st or kewlest game, but it's the one I enjoy most.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-04-09, 03:04 PM
Got into it recently and am in the middle of a campaign at the moment (make that two, actually). Definitely would play it in the future, although I'm not adverse to trying out other systems as well if the opportunity arises.

Kiero
2007-04-10, 04:25 AM
gawthiest

gawth-what?

Zincorium
2007-04-10, 04:57 AM
gawth-what?

I'm assuming it's a slight mangling of 'gothiest', which isn't really a word either so it's okay to mangle it.

Gothiest would mean 'most goth', and D&D is not nearly as goth as, say, vampire the masquerade.

Which I have played, for a few years when I was an angsty, black wearing teenager. Along with D&D for approximately 50% of my life (20 now, started at age 10).

Kiero
2007-04-10, 05:38 AM
Bleh, never played vampire. Being a suckhead never appealed to me in the slightest. Nor any other stripe of monster, the only White Wolf game I ever liked was Mage. At least then you got to be human.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-10, 08:09 AM
I pretty much play D&D 3.5 nigh-exclusively.
More than one RPG takes more time than I have.
That said, I have played Shadowrun and such in the past and would again. I love Shadowrun trolls.

silentknight
2007-04-10, 06:30 PM
I have played D&D 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. I like it the best.

Ironfist Orc
2007-04-10, 07:14 PM
I started out, (in the long, long, ago,) as an AD&D player, and moved on to other systems when I went to college. [20+ years as a Rolemaster GM.] Since discovering OotS and its fora, I have begun playing in my first PbP game, which is D&D 3.5 based.