PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Tricks for a Changeling Rogue

Augment Tab
2014-09-09, 05:58 PM
Might be starting up an old campaign where I played a changeling rogue focusing on using firearms. I've been trying to come up with a big list of dirty tricks and cheap, useful items for the character's bag. This is a character who has, so far successfully, had an answer to every situation in her bag.

Among the large list of ideas I've already got, I wanted to see what those in the playground can or have already come up with. The only guidelines I have are that I prefer it be mundane, but magic weapons and alchemical stuff is okay, as would be something like wands.

The idea of the character is to do everything herself. Spells like True Strike are okay as they make her better at things she already does, but something like Invisibility isn't because it does something she can't do herself. She's also not a fan of magically, forcibly, changing her form. Being a changeling, she is terrified of not having complete control over her appearance and form. She has even opted out of the wizard's War Weaver tapestry and turns down many magic items from the artificer because they would do things that go against this.

So, what can you giants come up with? What have you up your sleeves?

Jeff the Green
2014-09-09, 06:41 PM
Are you just looking for just equipment or other things?

I can't help all that much with the former, but one thing I recommend to all changeling rogue types is Cabinet Trickster. It's a nice little 5-level PrC that gives you detect thoughts as an SLA and some beet new functions for it, but more importantly it turns your minor shapechange into a proper Change Shape, basically turning it into alter self. It's good if you don't want to rely too much on your friendly neighborhood wizard to give you a more effective shape.

Augment Tab
2014-09-09, 06:53 PM
Are you just looking for just equipment or other things?

I can't help all that much with the former, but one thing I recommend to all changeling rogue types is Cabinet Trickster. It's a nice little 5-level PrC that gives you detect thoughts as an SLA and some beet new functions for it, but more importantly it turns your minor shapechange into a proper Change Shape, basically turning it into alter self. It's good if you don't want to rely too much on your friendly neighborhood wizard to give you a more effective shape.

Equipment mostly, but also suggestions on what to do with it all once I have it.

I was looking at Cabinet Trickster, and if I can squeeze that into the build and justify the detect thoughts then I might go for it. The upgraded alter self is nice, but I'm not sure if it'd fit. I've been debating this prestige class for the better part of this character's existence.