PDA

View Full Version : Power of Fluff: Cybernetic Warlock

CyberThread
2014-09-09, 09:14 PM
Basic idea. Fluff can trump any bland effort. While we often chew at mechanics fluff while often thought of as easy can make a world of difference as far as something being cool and new for a player. .

In this example I will be using a warlock to make something that might come from eberon or shadow runner. A cybernetic implant class while doing nothing to the actual class.

So here we go a few key tries. '

Corporate Agent

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/134/9/2/gunner_girl_advanced_by_concept_art_house-d65a8oi.jpg

Charged Resources(spells): You gain access to various abilties, in your low key knowledge you have dabbled in the various incarnations of electronic manipulation. These manipulations include the ability to distract eninimies, create false images with light, and releasing pheromones that make others more willing to follow your suggestions. This resources require charging time, and once expended must wait to re-energize during rest periods when your body shuts down.

Cybernetic Implants(Invocations): These are dependable implants that grant you abilties to manipulate yourself or the world around you, using a constant biometric feed, these are low powered devices that can be consistently used, unlike charged resources, while not as powerful, these will never fail you.

Cybernetic Sight(Eldritch Sight): Your eyes have been modified, when you decide to, you can detect "magic " altering your vision to detect the world around you that can not be observed by the naked eye.

Eyes of the Rune Keeper: Your knowledge base has been upgraded, you understand all written forms, due to the buggy nature of this implant, it has yet been upgraded to understand verbal speech.

Repelling Blast: You have further enhanced and altered your Cybernetic Blast ( Eldritch Blast), adding components to your gun that increase the force output, knocking others away from yourself.

Company Sponsors(Otherwordly patron): These are the main supporters of the industry, with the private technology having grown so large and powerful, large armies no longer are a thing, when small bands of agents can get so much done. You have chosen one of these sponsors to gain certain abilties, while also being an employee of them.

The Old Way: (old one): This company prefers an old fashion approach to doing things, manipulating things around them and provoking options this company will provide its agents with entry and abuse of the modern weakness that electronics have.

Expanded Resource List: You have access to a special technology of this company, your charged resources, grant you items that provide illusory killing forces, and taking away the free will that many falsely believe they have.

Awakened Mind: Your cybernetics, grant you access to the mind web, deeper into those that are locally around in the net, you can provide one way messages hidden from the verbal and hard world. Due to all electronics being written in the same code, you do not actually need to know the targets known languages, as their own implants will give them basic understanding.

Pact of Knowledge(Tome): You have grown and chosen your dedication of technology, unlike others who may want a mechanical pet, or a weapon, you have chose the power of the mind. Your brain has been implanted with access to the world data banks, with this access, you have learned methods that take longer then the usual charged resources but have become high tier cybernetic implants. Using this longer method, you are able to use certain charged resources unlimited times due to energy saving methods. (Ritual casting)

Madfellow
2014-09-09, 10:53 PM
It's a valiant effort, but really you can take any fantasy concept and re-fluff it into science fiction (That's not a Paladin, that's a Jedi! Completely different!). Likewise, you can take any sci-fi concept and re-fluff it as fantasy (Eberron comes to mind). I don't think you have to go to so much trouble. Just handwave it at superscience and call it a day.

Yorrin
2014-09-09, 11:09 PM
I've actually been doing Warforged Warlock = Ironman since 3.5, and it's worked beautifully in just about every edition. The main thing lacking so far in 5e is a reliable means of at-will flight within the warlock class, but I'm sure I'll figure out something eventually.

CyberThread
2014-09-09, 11:30 PM
It's a valiant effort, but really you can take any fantasy concept and re-fluff it into science fiction (That's not a Paladin, that's a Jedi! Completely different!). Likewise, you can take any sci-fi concept and re-fluff it as fantasy (Eberron comes to mind). I don't think you have to go to so much trouble. Just handwave it at superscience and call it a day.

I heavily agree, but the problem is that many folks are far to literal (Am looking at you DM's), that class is only for blah blah bah, or setting blah blah blah. An lack the strength to refluff things.

Fluff is a toolbox, not a rulebox.

Yenek
2014-09-10, 02:35 PM
Now the big question is:

Do they still run off Cha?
3.x Artificer (which this resembles most) only did because Use Magic Device was a Cha check (it's now a Thief Rogue's class feature, and has no check), and 4e Artificer run off Int and Con entirely. Cyberlock's new fluff makes Cha make somewhat less sence than, say, Int.

IAmTehDave
2014-09-10, 03:24 PM
Now the big question is:

Do they still run off Cha?
3.x Artificer (which this resembles most) only did because Use Magic Device was a Cha check (it's now a Thief Rogue's class feature, and has no check), and 4e Artificer run off Int and Con entirely. Cyberlock's new fluff makes Cha make somewhat less sence than, say, Int.

You have to control the Cybernetics, or they will control YOU!
(Cha = force of personality, remember)

CyberThread
2014-09-10, 03:46 PM
I think therefore it does. Still very cha focused much like a sorcerer

Hydra98
2014-09-10, 05:58 PM
Awesome :3 Fluff it up!
http://beachpackagingdesign.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/uncategorized/2007/11/04/fluff.jpg

Grinner
2014-09-10, 06:02 PM
I heavily agree, but the problem is that many folks are far to literal (Am looking at you DM's), that class is only for blah blah bah, or setting blah blah blah. An lack the strength to refluff things.

Fluff is a toolbox, not a rulebox.

I'm not deriding your efforts here, but there's a point at which you would just be better off with a classless system. The point of a class is to constrain character concepts; you're clearly at a point where you need no such crutches.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-10, 06:11 PM
Oh man that Cyber-Warlock is such a badass, look at her blasting awa-wait is that a Santa hat?

I feel like the 30 seconds preceding when this picture was taken would be a very interesting story. :smallbiggrin:

In seriousness though, I absolutely agree that refluffing like this is great fun, and lets you play in all sorts of settings beyond the standard anachronistic fantasy medieval Europe. Maybe the DMG or some future DM book will offer an example of such fluff paradigm shifts.

For my part, I would play a barbarian whose rage and natural armor class features were fluffed as neurostim implants and a nanoweave reinforced skeleton. Beast totems would be new implants that he added as he adventured, e.g. retinal implants for Eagle totem perception boost. Combine that with a monoedge axe (keen?) and we'd be good to go!

CyberThread
2014-09-10, 07:59 PM
Oh man that Cyber-Warlock is such a badass, look at her blasting awa-wait is that a Santa hat?

I feel like the 30 seconds preceding when this picture was taken would be a very interesting story. :smallbiggrin:

In seriousness though, I absolutely agree that refluffing like this is great fun, and lets you play in all sorts of settings beyond the standard anachronistic fantasy medieval Europe. Maybe the DMG or some future DM book will offer an example of such fluff paradigm shifts.

For my part, I would play a barbarian whose rage and natural armor class features were fluffed as neurostim implants and a nanoweave reinforced skeleton. Beast totems would be new implants that he added as he adventured, e.g. retinal implants for Eagle totem perception boost. Combine that with a monoedge axe (keen?) and we'd be good to go!

Ill work on that tonight :)

IAmTehDave
2014-09-10, 11:41 PM
Awesome :3 Fluff it up!
http://beachpackagingdesign.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/uncategorized/2007/11/04/fluff.jpg

I did not know the right one was a thing. Strawberry Fluffernutter... http://aintnogod.com/ipb/uploads/gallery/album_17/gallery_298_17_1280.gif

Hydra98
2014-09-11, 05:21 PM
Cyber keep it up, I would like to see more Fluff :D
Perhaps finish this add in the rest of the pacts and such

CyberThread
2014-09-11, 06:14 PM
Nah, am just diong starter sets, not full on projects. Enough to inject things with a enough flavor, that those that want to , can easily managed things from their own tables.

This is an exercise, not a full blown project :)

CyberThread
2014-11-06, 04:08 PM
Okay, this project is finalized, this is as far as I will go with it. I did a touch up, and added two more items. Hope you folks have enjoyed it.