PDA

View Full Version : Sceptile (3.5 race)

LostDeviljho
2014-09-09, 09:15 PM
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/archive/3/3e/20100723043400%21254Sceptile.png
•+4 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
•Humanoid (Reptilian, Augmented Plant)
•Medium size
•a sceptile has a base move speed of 40 ft.
•Low-Light Vision
•Scent
•Vulnerability to Fire
•Unburdened (Ex): A sceptile has it's move speed increased 1/2 when unarmored. If a sceptile wears armor of any kind, uses a shield, or is encumbered, it loses this benifit.
•Leaf Blade: 3/encounter, as a standard action, a sceptile makes a single attack. this attack deals 1d12 slashing damage, threatens a critical on a roll of 18-20, deals double damage against creatures with the Earth or Water subtypes (Quadruple damage if the target has both), and half damage against creatures with the Fire or Air subtypes (1/4 damage if the target has both)
•a sceptile has 2 primary claw attacks that deal 2d4 damage.
•a sceptile has a +2 racial bonus to spot, listen, jump, and tumble checks, a +4 to climb and balance (+6 to climb trees), and a +6 racial bonus to hide within foliage.
•Automatic Languages: Draconic
•Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
•Favored Class: Scout, Swordsage
•LA +0

Admiral Squish
2014-09-09, 09:24 PM
I gotta say, if you're gonna keep making these, maybe you should make one big thread to put them all into, rather than however many different ones you'll make.

LostDeviljho
2014-09-09, 09:25 PM
you know what, that's exactly what I'll do! :smallbiggrin:

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 09:35 PM
Augmented Plant subtype seems a little... weird, I guess. And there might be some abuses available from that. It's good that you had the common sense to not give them plant traits, at least.

Two claws for 2d4 is a bit strong, I'd recommend knocking them down to 1d6 each (will is still pretty strong for LA +0 natural weapons).

The description of Unburdened, you might want to clarify it a bit. Maybe "As long as a Sceptile is unarmored, not using a shield, and carrying no more than a light load, it gains a +20 foot bonus to its land speed". Speed*1.5 is much more easily abused than a flat-rate bonus to speed.

Leaf Blade I'm not sure about. The single, powerful attack as a standard action is a little unbalanced, in that it's stronger than it should be at levels 1-5, and after that falls behind full attacks rather quickly. Not really sure about how to fix it such that it's balanced, I guess leave it as-is for now.

If I remember correctly, Sceptile is kinda low on hit points, but also very, very fast. I'd also recommend +4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con, but it's your call as far as ability scores go.

Also, you've been churning these out pretty fast, a lot faster than I could. Go you! Have you considered linking each of them in your signature, much as what most people do with their homebrews?

LostDeviljho
2014-09-09, 09:46 PM
Augmented Plant subtype seems a little... weird, I guess. And there might be some abuses available from that. It's good that you had the common sense to not give them plant traits, at least.

Grass type pokemon. and giving it plant traits would be horrendous wouldn't it?

Two claws for 2d4 is a bit strong, I'd recommend knocking them down to 1d6 each (will is still pretty strong for LA +0 natural weapons).

look at the picture. it essentially has 2 daggers on each arm. i just call it a claw attack for simplicity's sake.

The description of Unburdened, you might want to clarify it a bit. Maybe "As long as a Sceptile is unarmored, not using a shield, and carrying no more than a light load, it gains a +20 foot bonus to its land speed". Speed*1.5 is much more easily abused than a flat-rate bonus to speed.

i actually took it down a notch, the pokemon ability doubles it.

Leaf Blade I'm not sure about. The single, powerful attack as a standard action is a little unbalanced, in that it's stronger than it should be at levels 1-5, and after that falls behind full attacks rather quickly. Not really sure about how to fix it such that it's balanced, I guess leave it as-is for now.

that was actually intentional, as it fit's the actual leaf blade move fairly well.

If I remember correctly, Sceptile is kinda low on hit points, but also very, very fast. I'd also recommend +4 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con, but it's your call as far as ability scores go.

good idea, will do.

Also, you've been churning these out pretty fast, a lot faster than I could. Go you! Have you considered linking each of them in your signature, much as what most people do with their homebrews?

Why thank you! :smallredface:
and i do not actually have a homebrewers signature as of yet, but i wll probably make one soon.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 10:00 PM
look at the picture. it essentially has 2 daggers on each arm. i just call it a claw attack for simplicity's sake.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of balancing it with the other LA+0 natural attack-granting races I know, and none of them break 1d6 for their NAs if they're medium creatures. If it had HD and/or LA then 2d4 for each claw attack would probably be fair. I think that blades made of plant or plant-like material wouldn't deal quite as much damage as metal blades of the same size, unless the Leaf Blade power were being used. But then, I'm only one dissenting opinion, so you don't need to change it on my feedback alone.

LostDeviljho
2014-09-09, 10:05 PM
I think that blades made of plant or plant-like material wouldn't deal quite as much damage as metal blades of the same size, unless the Leaf Blade power were being used.

while they may look like leaves, i'm pretty sure those blades are made of bone and scale. since i don't know anything else in d&d with something like that, i have nothing to compare to.