PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW

Pages : [1] 2 3

No brains
2014-09-09, 09:19 PM
Inspired by my two favorite threads, Simple Q&A by RAW and Dysfunctions in RAW, comes a 'fun-post' that has a distant possibility to become useful. In this thread, we take conundrums of the human condition and seek answers to them in the truest of all wisdom, the Rules As Written. I am most familiar with 3.5's RAW, so that's what I'm going to start this with, but if any other edition of D&D or any other roleplaying system has entertaining answers, feel free to use them.

For the 'flavor' of the thread, let's try to keep this as procedural as possible. This will allow us to swiftly set aside philosophy and let us get back to rolling dice.

Q 1
What is beauty?

Q 2
What is the meaning of life?

Q 3
How can I make a good relationship?

A 1
Blinding Beauty is a supernatural special attack possessed by the Nymph creature on page 197 of the MM. All humanoids within 30 feet of the nymph must succeed on a save (Usually DC17, from the Nymph's Charisma) or be blinded as though by the blindness spell. A nymph can suppress or resume this ability as a free action
Take that Engie!
A 2
A living creature has a Constitution score. Some living things are technically objects because they lack a Wisdom or Charisma score, such as mundane plants. Note that 'living' and 'animate' do not always have to go together...

A 3
See the table on Leadership scores on page 106 of the DMG.

Seek wisdom and have fun.:smallbiggrin:

Dalebert
2014-09-09, 09:34 PM
I LOVE it! This next question is for the lady DMs.

Q 4 Does size really matter?

Red Fel
2014-09-09, 09:53 PM
Sorry to disappoint; you asked for lady DMs, but you got me.

A 4
A size increase affects any special ability the creature has that is affected by size. Increased size also affects a creature’s ability scores, AC, attack bonuses, and damage values as indicated on the tables below. (Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases).)

Q 5
What is love?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 10:02 PM
Q 5
What is love?

"Elixir of Love: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofLove)
This sweet-tasting liquid causes the character drinking it to become charmed with the first creature she sees after consuming the draft (as charm person—the drinker must be a humanoid of Medium or smaller size, Will DC 14 negates). The charm effects wear off in 1d3 hours.

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, charm person; Price 150 gp."

Timballisto
2014-09-09, 10:44 PM
Q 5
What is love?

A 5
Baby don't hurt me.

No brains
2014-09-09, 10:55 PM
A 5
Baby don't hurt me.

A 5 Addendum
Infant giants have no listed statistics and cannot harm or be harmed by anyone.

Snowbluff
2014-09-09, 11:10 PM
I LOVE it! This next question is for the lady DMs.

A 4 Only for attacks rolls and trip attempts.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-09-09, 11:24 PM
Q6 What is virtue and can it be taught?

Val666
2014-09-09, 11:29 PM
What is love?

Shrek is love?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-09-09, 11:33 PM
Q6 What is virtue and can it be taught?

A6: Virtue is an orison, and is available to anyone through proper multiclassing.

Q7: Is there life after death?

Yanisa
2014-09-09, 11:40 PM
A7
Yes, spells like Resurrection and True Resurrection allow you to return to life, even after a horrible death. In addition spells like Reincarnate even let you be reborn.

Q8
Why are we here?

Q9
Are we alone in the universe?

Q10
What does it mean to be human?

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-09-09, 11:51 PM
A 10
Humans
Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Human base land speed is 30 feet.
1 extra feat at 1st level.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

AmberVael
2014-09-09, 11:55 PM
A8

To play D&D.

The D&D game is a fantasy game of your imagination. It’s part acting, part storytelling, part social interaction, part war game, and part dice rolling. You and your friends create characters that develop and grow with each adventure they complete.
PHB, page 4.

A9

Note that in the previously referred to quote "your friends" also exist, thus enabling you to play D&D.
By this we can infer that if you have no friends, you cannot play D&D, thus you have no reason to exist.

A10, Correction, Addendum

Being a humanoid with the human subtype. By use of the Human Heritage feat (Races of Destiny page 152) you do not have to be human to be human.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 11:57 PM
Shrek is love?

Nonono. Shrek is life.

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-10, 01:23 AM
Q 5
What is love?

A 5
Baby don't hurt me.

Aw, I hate it when I show up late to a good joke.:smallannoyed:

... Don't hurt me, no more.

Q11
How can I tell if money can buy love?

And a special answer that is applicable to almost any of these questions

A(nth)
"Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu."

Sith_Happens
2014-09-10, 01:54 AM
A 11

See A5.

Yanisa
2014-09-10, 02:17 AM
A11 Addendum/Correction
It's a question of "how", not if a question of "if".

And how can you tell if love is buyable? When it got a listed price in GP value, most often seen at the end of an item description or in a table wih items. But indeed see A5 where the price is listed for love.

Q12 Since 9 failed me.
Is there life on other planets except Earth?

Eldan
2014-09-10, 02:25 AM
A12
This is a setting dependent question. In most, "Earth" is unknown. There is, however, life on Khorvaire, Toril, Oerth, etc. Going by Spelljammer, several of these have other planets in the same sphere, which generally all have life. Note that "Earth" is theorized to be the home planet of a man named "Ed Greenwood", who met and befriended the wizard Elminster through a portal in his bathroom.

Q13:
What is the speed of light?

gooddragon1
2014-09-10, 02:50 AM
A12
This is a setting dependent question. In most, "Earth" is unknown. There is, however, life on Khorvaire, Toril, Oerth, etc. Going by Spelljammer, several of these have other planets in the same sphere, which generally all have life. Note that "Earth" is theorized to be the home planet of a man named "Ed Greenwood", who met and befriended the wizard Elminster through a portal in his bathroom.

Q13:

A13:
Depends on whether it's quickened or not. If quickened it is a swift action to cast a light (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/light.htm) spell. If not quickened it is a standard action. In some cases light may be slower. Light and some other things are treated as occurring instantaneously. I can say this because of multispell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#multispell). As you can cast multiple light spells in a round to a limit of as many light spells as you have the multispell feat and spell slots then the speed of light is infinite with infinite multispells and spell slots.

Q14:
How much dakka is enough?

Eldan
2014-09-10, 03:10 AM
A14:
The creature with the most HP I can find by a quick look through the Epic SRD is the Devastation Beetle at 2880 HP. Though there could be templates involved, of course. A Paragon Devastation Beetle as 5760 HP and DR 10. Double it for good measure, 11540. Round up a bit... 12000. You should rarely need to deal more than 12000 damage.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-09-10, 03:25 AM
Q13:

How is that a question which can't be answered?

Q 15
What is Art?

Sith_Happens
2014-09-10, 03:34 AM
Q 16

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Q 17

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Q 18

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

gooddragon1
2014-09-10, 03:36 AM

Q 15
What is Art?

A 15:Art Objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm#tableArtObjects)

Q 19: What are feelings?

Heliomance
2014-09-10, 03:40 AM

Q 15
What is Art?

A 15
Art is a type of treasure possessed by some creatures, but more usually found in dungeons and palaces. It tends to have a good GP-weight ratio, and is only useful for selling to acquire funds.

Dalebert
2014-09-10, 06:02 AM

Well THAT's a relief... for my friend, that is, my friend who wanted me to ask that question on his behalf. *ahem*
"Trip attempt" he heh heh.

sideswipe
2014-09-10, 06:19 AM
A 17

depends on the result of his profession woodchuck check.

Eldan
2014-09-10, 06:25 AM
A 17

I'd say "Craft: firewood".

sideswipe
2014-09-10, 06:34 AM
I'd say "Craft: firewood".

true but then he would be a guy making firewood, not a woodchuck as a job.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 08:13 AM
A12

From Lords of Madness:

The tsochari hail from a world distant in space, a cold and lightless place so remote that the sun is little more than a bright star in a black sky.
Sounds a lot like Pluto to me. So if you're using Tsochar, there are aliens.

Jagernaut
2014-09-10, 08:23 AM
Q20: What doth life? Are we just fleshy blips in some meaningless stew of cosmic oblivion? Or is it vice re-versa?

...Sorry, I couldn't resist this philosophical gem.

Snowbluff
2014-09-10, 09:27 AM
A20: Forty two.

Eldan
2014-09-10, 09:46 AM
A 15:Art Objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm#tableArtObjects)

Q 19: What are feelings?

A 19: As per the doom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/doom.htm)spell*, feelings are something that causes the shaken condition.

To expand a bit: emotions are, by calm emotions (www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm), what causes barbarians to rage and enables people to be aggressive. Some Morale boni and a bard's inspire ability, as well as fear and confusion also counts. Empathy, a psionic power, lists Thirst, hunger, fear, fatigue, pain, rage, hatred, uncertainty, curiosity, friendliness and "others".

*The only place in the SRD to use "feeling" to mean emotion, as opposed to the senses, esp. touch

Inevitability
2014-09-10, 10:28 AM
A20: Forty two.

This. So much.

Q21 Can a computer become sentinent?

Q22 Is all this an artificial world created by robots who took over the real world?

Jagernaut
2014-09-10, 10:31 AM
Well played Snowbluff. Well played.

Segev
2014-09-10, 10:31 AM

A4 (alternate): Also not a lady, but I feel the need to point out that size modifiers are a significant part of successful grappling.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-10, 10:36 AM
A21 Animate objects coupled with awaken construct would be able to provide sentience to a computer, in addition to many other pieces of technology.

Dalebert
2014-09-10, 10:39 AM
A 17 As animals, groundhogs (aka woodchucks) are incapable of manipulating objects like a humanoid in order to do a throw maneuver. The best way to answer this is by casting Anthropomorphic Animal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/anthropomorphic-animal) on the woodchuck which would allow one set of limbs to manipulate objects and weapons as well as hands. The question remaining is how big of a piece of wood is an anthropomorphic groundhog strong enough to lift AND throw. The distance being irrelevant to a question of volume/mass, we can focus on improvised weapons to allow the groundhog to pick up the largest chunk it's STR rating will allow and would allow it to throw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/exploration-movement#TOC-Table:-Carrying-Capacity).

A groundhog can get as large as about 30 lbs. This reasonably puts it's STR at about 3 with a maximum carrying capacity of 30 lbs, or it's own weight. This is also the listed strength of a common cat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cat), despite an average cat only weighing about 5 lbs and being considered moderately overweight at 10 lbs. :smallconfused: A creature can actually lift twice it's carrying capacity but we will assume that to throw something, you need to be able to lift it over your head which is limited to your max carrying capacity. Throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. We could consider simple thrown one-handed weapons made of wood in order for it to be a standard action, but this almost certainly would result in a much smaller amount of wood being chucked over the same time period based on the significant weight difference.

It would need to spend an action to pick it up and a full round to throw as a two-handed weapon. Therefore, if a woodchuck could chuck wood, it could chuck about 30 lbs every other round to a distance of 50 ft (the max range of all improvised weapons).

A trivia bonus: The etymology of the name woodchuck is unrelated to wood or chucking. It stems from an Algonquian (possibly Narragansett) name for the animal, wuchak.

Brookshw
2014-09-10, 10:45 AM
A22: No, true seeing and divinations would have established this. Further robots have a much better place well suited to them, Mechanus.

Q23: What is in the eye of the beholder.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-10, 10:50 AM
A23 Depends on which eye. If you're referring to the beholder's primary eye, it has a cone-shaped antimagic field emanation. Its smaller, subordinate eyes also have their own effects.

Inevitability
2014-09-10, 11:32 AM
A23 Endless opportunity to poke it out, become a Beholder Mage, and break the game.

aethel27
2014-09-12, 09:22 AM
Q 24

Who created (the) god(s)?

Dalebert
2014-09-12, 09:36 AM
Q 25 What's love got to do with it? (please excuse the grammar)

What's love got to do with it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8KFlfzk3Y)

sideswipe
2014-09-12, 09:44 AM
Q 24

Who created (the) god(s)?

A 24

E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson
also
Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Richard Baker, and Peter Adkison

source - deities and demigods.

Brookshw
2014-09-12, 09:59 AM
A24: depends on where in d&d mythology you land. An overgod is a good starting point. Other answers include Gary Gygax, David Anderson, and various editors. Further for gods that rose to divinity but started as mortals could be summed up as their parents or the particulars of their ascention. The exception is Garl Glittergold who does not actually exist but is rather an illusion perpetuated by the gnomes (bloody gnomes).

A25: its an targetting element of sorts for identifying who's drawing the short stick in regards to the spell Love's Pain.

Q26: what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Yanisa
2014-09-12, 10:32 AM
A18 & A26
The sound of a monk using quivering palm.

Q27
How young can you die of old age?

Q28
What is the speed of darkness?

Q29
Do three headed fire dragons have heated arguments with themselves?

Okay enough bad puns......

Red Fel
2014-09-12, 11:29 AM
A 28
Darkness
Evocation [Darkness]
Casting time: 1 standard action

Yanisa
2014-09-12, 11:43 AM
I expected the answer, just didn't want to answer my own question to point out:

Q13:

A13:
Depends on whether it's quickened or not. If quickened it is a swift action to cast a light (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/light.htm) spell. If not quickened it is a standard action. In some cases light may be slower. Light and some other things are treated as occurring instantaneously. I can say this because of multispell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#multispell). As you can cast multiple light spells in a round to a limit of as many light spells as you have the multispell feat and spell slots then the speed of light is infinite with infinite multispells and spell slots.

A28
What is the speed of darkness?

A 28
Darkness
Evocation [Darkness]
Casting time: 1 standard action

Terry Pratchett be damned, darkness is as fast as light. :smalltongue:

Q30
So if a Darkness Wizard and a Light Wizard cast the spell at the same time at each-other, who would be faster (and thus win)?

Red Bear
2014-09-12, 11:44 AM
Q27: 72 for Humans (page 109 PH)

Red Fel
2014-09-12, 11:46 AM
A30
Whichever had Improved Initiative.

avr
2014-09-12, 11:49 AM
Q 16

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
A 16
Speak with Plants suggests that ordinary plants have enough sense of their immediate surroundings to answer questions about them, so there is always someone present to hear it.

Yanisa
2014-09-12, 11:51 AM
A30
Whichever had Improved Initiative.

Derp. >_<
And here I was hoping to ask a question in the vain of "what happens if a unstoppable force hits a immovable object". :smalltongue:

Brookshw
2014-09-12, 11:52 AM
A30: That's called counterspelling and darkness wins.

Red Fel
2014-09-12, 11:52 AM
Derp. >_<
And here I was hoping to ask a question in the vain of "what happens if a unstoppable force hits a immovable object". :smalltongue:

Clearly, an opposed skill check. Bull rush, if I'm not mistaken.

Lanson
2014-09-12, 11:55 AM
I expected the answer, just didn't want to answer my own question to point out:

Terry Pratchett be damned, darkness is as fast as light. :smalltongue:

Q30
So if a Darkness Wizard and a Light Wizard cast the spell at the same time at each-other, who would be faster (and thus win)?

A30: irrelevant, light and darkness can be used to counterspell each other, the duel would look like two crazy old men shouting and waving their hands at one another

Edit: wow thread moving fast today

avr
2014-09-12, 11:58 AM
A29 Q29?
Do three headed fire dragons have heated arguments with themselves?

A 29
Red Dragons are 'Always Chaotic Evil'. Chaotic Evil is described as 'hot tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent and unpredictable.' Therefore the answer is yes.

aethel27
2014-09-12, 01:30 PM
A 29
Red Dragons are 'Always Chaotic Evil'. Chaotic Evil is described as 'hot tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent and unpredictable.' Therefore the answer is yes.
Not necessarily a 3 headed Solar Dragon is Lawful Neutral and is there fore to be much less likely to engage in that behavior.

Segev
2014-09-12, 01:57 PM
Not necessarily a 3 headed Solar Dragon is Lawful Neutral and is there fore to be much less likely to engage in that behavior.

What in the multiverse gives you the idea that Lawful alignment prohibits arguing? It actually encourages it, as debate over the laws and what they are, mean, and should be is very common. Moreso than with chaotic alignments, who would be far more likely to resort to force, deceit, or simple "to heck with it, I'm doing it my way" in order to get their way. Less arguing that way; more (likely) fighting.

Inevitability
2014-09-12, 02:09 PM
Let's look at it in another way: If you were glued to two other people, each with their own thoughts and opinions, would you argue with them? Chances are the answer is: 'yes'.

You know, I just got an idea for a human who grafted clones of his own head onto himself (multiheaded template), with the heads constantly claiming that they, and not their colleague-heads, are the original one.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-12, 02:17 PM
Let's look at it in another way: If you were glued to two other people, each with their own thoughts and opinions, would you argue with them? Chances are the answer is: 'yes'.

You know, I just got an idea for a human who grafted clones of his own head onto himself (multiheaded template), with the heads constantly claiming that they, and not their colleague-heads, are the original one.

Reminds me of the Calvin & Hobbes story arc with the Duplicator...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1E97VFNg3T8/SxTmutkGmwI/AAAAAAAAEXQ/T-J37Yw8C34/s800/dup1.GIF

Dalebert
2014-09-12, 02:51 PM
A 30 Improved Initiative is irrelevant since the question specified "at the same time". They have the same initiative roll. Also, they're not counter-spelling since the question said "cast at each other". Since the light spell has no particular effect other than allowing the other wizard to see better and the darkness spell impedes the other wizard, and assuming both failed to resist the effects (creatures get a save), then one has a light spell on his body and the other has a Darkness spell. We'll also assume both made their touch-attack rolls as these are touch range. Since the light spell is not a higher level than the Darkness, it fails to suppress it. The light-inflicted wizard can move away and see better. The darkness-inflicted one cannot. I'd say the Darkness caster wins in an even fight.

Sidenote: A light spell of equal level to a darkness fails to brighten it. I think we can therefore conclude that Darkness is greater than Light in general :smallbiggrin:.

aethel27
2014-09-12, 03:21 PM
Q 31

Can the speed of light be broken?

Q 32

What is terminal velocity?

Fax Celestis
2014-09-12, 03:26 PM
A31 Sure. Quickened light takes a fourth-level spell slot, but is faster than light.

Segev
2014-09-12, 03:33 PM
Q 32

What is terminal velocity?

A 32

300 ft./round. You fall 150 ft. the first round, and 300 ft. each round thereafter. This can be found in the Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm) section of the SRD, under what happens if you can't maintain minimum forward velocity while flying.

aethel27
2014-09-12, 03:58 PM
Q33
Is their such a thing as too much overkill?

dysprosium
2014-09-12, 03:58 PM
Q 34: Who watches the watchers?

Dalebert
2014-09-12, 04:03 PM
Q 33 According to this supplementary material (http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/products/military-scale-weapons-theres-no-kill-like-overkill), no.

Q 34: Who watches the watchers?

A 34 This text from Town Watcher (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-1/town-watcher-halfling-ranger-2)s implies that it would be other town watchers.

The ranger shoots at opponents who attempt to harm innocents or his allies.

Yael
2014-09-12, 08:44 PM
Q35. Are really humans the ultimate evolution among species?

Q36. When light is gone, where it is gone?

Dalebert
2014-09-12, 09:02 PM
Q 37 How many licks does it take to get to the center?

Inevitability
2014-09-13, 03:54 AM
Q38 How does one go to heaven?

flare'90
2014-09-13, 03:59 AM
Q38 How does one go to heaven?

A38: Dying as LG. Or with Plane Shift or Gate.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-13, 06:24 AM
Q 39

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Dalebert
2014-09-13, 07:24 AM
Q35. Are really humans the ultimate evolution among species?

A 35 Definitely not. Almost every other race has advantages over humans including longer lifespans, ability to see in the dark, possibly even magic resistance. Some of the particularly superior races even have a leval adjustment to reflect this obvious superiority. Humans do get an extra feat and extra skill points, but it is strongly implied that this reflects a sort of burning ambition that seems related to their shorter life spans. In other words, humans are out to prove something, reflecting how inferior they feel to the other races.

Q36. When light is gone, where it is gone?

A 36 The duration either ran out or the light spell was dispelled. It's also possible the light spell is just being temporarily suppressed by an anti-magic field.

avr
2014-09-13, 07:52 AM
Q 39

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A 39
One per 2.5'x2.5' area of the head, assuming a medium or small angel. Squeezing seems likely considering the average mosh pit.

Dalebert
2014-09-13, 07:57 AM
This thread seems similar to the Simple Q&A PF thread in one respect. I appear to have already stumped GitP twice. :smallconfused:

avr
2014-09-13, 08:00 AM
Q 37 How many licks does it take to get to the center?
A 37
If the centre is defined as mortal damage to the creature and the licks are delivered with a whip, (2*HP +10)/(whip damage). Whip damage is nonlethal.

avr
2014-09-13, 08:01 AM
This thread seems similar to the Simple Q&A PF thread in one respect. I appear to have already stumped GitP twice. :smallconfused:
Once. (See above)

Yanisa
2014-09-13, 10:19 AM
A 37
If the centre is defined as mortal damage to the creature and the licks are delivered with a whip, (2*HP +10)/(whip damage). Whip damage is nonlethal.

Open to discuss, depends on a lot of factors. I would say one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0322.html).

Dalebert
2014-09-13, 12:03 PM
Fine. I'll answer my own question. I'm probably going to get hair on my palms.

Q 25 What's love got to do with it? (please excuse the grammar)

In order to take the Love Lost (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/campaign-traits/curse-of-the-crimson-throne/love-lost) trait, someone you love must have been brutally murdered.

ezkajii
2014-09-13, 12:28 PM
Q38 How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real?

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-13, 11:07 PM
Q39 Can (a) God create a rock too heavy for him/her/it to lift?

Q40 Why do bad things happen to Good people?

Sith_Happens
2014-09-14, 12:10 AM
A 40

Usually because they rolled low (or an enemy rolled high).

rg9000
2014-09-14, 12:59 AM
Q41:Where do my left socks keep on disappearing to?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-14, 02:44 AM
Q39 Can (a) God create a rock too heavy for him/her/it to lift?

Boccob the Uncaring, as statted in Deities and Demigods, has a Strength score of 24. This means he can lift up to 1400 pounds off the ground, and can push or drag 3500 pounds. Boccob's Create Greater Object ability allows him to create an object of up to 20 cubic feet in volume per divine rank. Osmium is a transition metal with a density of 22.59 g/cm3, the greatest of any naturally occurring element. One cubic foot of osmium breaks 1400 pounds, but only barely. Approximately 2.5 cubic feet of osmium would end up being more than 3500 pounds, being not only so heavy that Boccob could not lift it, but so heavy that he could not move it by any means without resorting to tools or magic.

But that's not using his full creation abilities, not by a long shot. Boccob's divine rank is 17. That means that a single use of Create Greater Object can produce up to 479,484 pounds of solid osmium in one go. Boccob's realm, however, is in the Outlands, a divinely morphic plane. Thus, the volume he can create is tripled, allow the production of 1,438,452.6 pounds of osmium, all in one chunk (incidentally, that is enough to kill a lot of catgirls). Without resorting to spellcasting or the Alter Reality power, Boccob isn't moving this rock anytime soon.

However, the Tarrasque could. As a Colossal creature with 45 Strength, it can push or drag 1536000 pounds of material, just barely enough (even Strength of 44 would not be great enough to move it). Proof that Tarrasque > God.

For the record, our block of osmium? It's a cube 10.06 feet on a side. Yeah.

Yanisa
2014-09-14, 03:02 AM
Boccob the Uncaring, as statted in Deities and Demigods, has a Strength score of 24. This means he can lift up to 1400 pounds off the ground, and can push or drag 3500 pounds. Boccob's Create Greater Object ability allows him to create an object of up to 20 cubic feet in volume per divine rank. Osmium is a transition metal with a density of 22.59 g/cm3, the greatest of any naturally occurring element. One cubic foot of osmium breaks 1400 pounds, but only barely. Approximately 2.5 cubic feet of osmium would end up being more than 3500 pounds, being not only so heavy that Boccob could not lift it, but so heavy that he could not move it by any means without resorting to tools or magic.

But that's not using his full creation abilities, not by a long shot. Boccob's divine rank is 17. That means that a single use of Create Greater Object can produce up to 479,484 pounds of solid osmium in one go. Boccob's realm, however, is in the Outlands, a divinely morphic plane. Thus, the volume he can create is tripled, allow the production of 1,438,452.6 pounds of osmium, all in one chunk (incidentally, that is enough to kill a lot of catgirls). Without resorting to spellcasting or the Alter Reality power, Boccob isn't moving this rock anytime soon.

However, the Tarrasque could. As a Colossal creature with 45 Strength, it can push or drag 1536000 pounds of material, just barely enough (even Strength of 44 would not be great enough to move it). Proof that Tarrasque > God.

For the record, our block of osmium? It's a cube 10.06 feet on a side. Yeah.

But can't Boccob just use magic again to increase his strength score? or when that fails, shapechange?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-14, 03:14 AM
But can't Boccob just use magic again to increase his strength score? or when that fails, shapechange?

Without resorting to spellcasting or the Alter Reality power, Boccob isn't moving this rock anytime soon.

But yeah, he could just Alter Size and/or use ability-enhancing magic and/or Shapechange into the Tarrasque, so I suppose he'd be able to do it.

Yanisa
2014-09-14, 03:23 AM
But yeah, he could just Alter Size and/or use ability-enhancing magic and/or Shapechange into the Tarrasque, so I suppose he'd be able to do it.

Missed that line, sorry. Still why is he allowed magic to create the rock, but not allowed magic to pick up the rock? Your rules seem arbitrary. :smalltongue:

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-14, 11:57 AM
Missed that line, sorry. Still why is he allowed magic to create the rock, but not allowed magic to pick up the rock? Your rules seem arbitrary. :smalltongue:

Well, Create Greater Object is a salient divine ability. So it's not a spell, nor is it an SLA or (Su); it functions in an AMF, and ignores SR. They certainly don't seem like (Ex), but they're divine powers rather than spells. It's not actually clearly defined what they are, but they're described as being similar to feats.

No brains
2014-09-16, 01:13 PM
Q38 How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real?
A 38
Mirror, Small Steel is listed on page 126 of the PHB in the Equipment chapter. There is no mention of eyes in this chapter.

Q41:Where do my left socks keep on disappearing to?
A 41
Depending on the size of your socks, a DC 10 or 20 sleight of hand check could make them disappear or be lifted from your person without notice.

Thank you everyone for your contributions!:smallbiggrin:

Dalebert
2014-09-16, 02:33 PM
Q 42 What if God was one of us?

dextercorvia
2014-09-16, 02:42 PM
A 42

Then according to page 38 of the DMG it is incredibly unlikely that he would earn XP for encounters that were an appropriate challenge for our party, and likewise, we are too low leveled to earn XP for an appropriately CR'd challenge for him.

Chaosvii7
2014-09-16, 02:42 PM
Q 31

Can the speed of light be broken?

The speed of light in feet/6 seconds is roughly 163928509. Greater Teleport has no limit on range, meaning that a Teleport that spans greater than about 31,000 miles an hour will be faster than the speed of light.

No brains
2014-09-22, 07:55 PM
Q 43
What is that smell?

Q 44
What is the point of life?

Q 45
I can has cheeseburger?

Q 46
Why?

Q 47
Why not?

Q 48
What is the saddest thing in the world?

Q 48
How can I know if I have made an ethical choice?

Urpriest
2014-09-22, 08:14 PM
Q 48
How can I know if I have made an ethical choice?

A 48

By purchasing a Phylactery of Faithfulness (DMG).

Rubik
2014-09-22, 08:15 PM
Q49: What is best in life?

Urpriest
2014-09-22, 08:24 PM
Q49: What is best in life?

A49:

The highest level power in the Life Mantle is True Metabolism.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-22, 09:02 PM
A 43

From page 314 of Monster Manual:
Scent (Ex): This special quality allows a creature to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

dextercorvia
2014-09-22, 09:19 PM
A 45

Yes. A good meal costs 5sp according to the PHB.

jiriku
2014-09-22, 10:27 PM
Q 43Q 48
What is the saddest thing in the world?

The crushing despair (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/crushingDespair.htm) spell can inflict despair.

An invisible cone of despair causes great sadness in the subjects. Each affected creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls.

Crushing despair counters and dispels good hope.

Material Component
A vial of tears.

Arguably, greater degrees of sadness are modeled with Wisdom damage. The last judgment spell (BoED 102) kills evil creatures and sends them to an afterlife of punishment. Those who save against it instead take 3d6 Wisdom damage "as guilt for their misdeeds overwhelms their minds." Creatures whose Wisdom is reduced to 0 would be so sad that they lost consciousness.

No brains
2014-10-03, 05:08 PM
Q 49
Why do fad threads dies so fast? :(

Q 50
What gifts should I get for my friends and famil?

Q 51
Do you have stairs in your house?

Q 52
How can i make an engine that runs at near, equal to, and above 100% efficiency?

Fax Celestis
2014-10-03, 05:10 PM
A51 Yes, how else would I go up a level?

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-03, 06:11 PM
Q 53: What is the riddle of steel?

dysprosium
2014-10-03, 07:11 PM
A50: Though it may be a social faux pas, you could always re-gift your elven gift from your first level of Ruathar.

A52: The spell spell engine can exchange one prepared spell for another at 100% efficiency.

danzibr
2014-10-04, 08:09 PM
And grapple!

Q54
Is there a set whose cardinality is strictly between that of the natural numbers and real numbers?

No brains
2014-10-04, 11:11 PM
A54
Item sets have a number of different magic items that have synergetic effects. Usually the number of items in these sets goes from 2 to 6.

Yael
2014-10-05, 03:12 AM
Q55 Is there anything stronger than love?

Sith_Happens
2014-10-05, 03:18 AM
A 55

Yes. However, I'm too lazy to actually look up what love's STR score is so for now the only example I'll name is Pun-Pun.:smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2014-10-05, 03:31 AM
I don't know if it was aready asked, but...

Q56: what is the meaning of life?

The speed of light in feet/6 seconds is roughly 163928509. Greater Teleport has no limit on range, meaning that a Teleport that spans greater than about 31,000 miles an hour will be faster than the speed of light.

A31: also, a sufficiently long Commoner Railgun

Sith_Happens
2014-10-05, 03:52 AM
A 56

Life (n) – a quality possessed by creatures with both Constitution scores and hit point totals above -10.

Yael
2014-10-05, 08:23 PM
Q57 Is there always a bigger one?

Snowbluff
2014-10-05, 08:43 PM
Q57 Is there always a bigger one?

A57 Depends on whether or not you use the rules for sizes over epic.

The Viscount
2014-10-05, 10:15 PM
A 49b If fad threads have an old age of only a few weeks, it would explain death by old age.

Q58 What is truth?

Raven777
2014-10-05, 10:36 PM
A58 The only kind of fact someone can state when they fail their saving throw upon entering a Zone of Truth.

heavyfuel
2014-10-05, 10:50 PM
Q 59

does everything really depend on the frame of reference?

Heliomance
2014-10-06, 03:48 AM
Q 59

does everything really depend on the frame of reference?

A 59 The term "frame of reference" does not, to my knowledge, appear in any official D&D rules text, so it seems unlikely that anything should depend on it.

No brains
2014-10-17, 05:20 PM
Q 60
Why shouldn't I worry about the man who practiced 1000 different kicks 1 time?

Q 61
Why worry about the man who practiced 1 kick 1000 times?

heavyfuel
2014-10-17, 06:11 PM
A 60 & 61

Practicing kicks don't award XP

The Viscount
2014-10-18, 10:17 AM
Q 62 What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Necroticplague
2014-10-18, 01:43 PM

A62
The sound of a Greater Thunderclap performed with one hand for the somatic component is "a loud noise equivalent to the peal of thunder".

Inevitability
2014-10-18, 03:32 PM
Q 63 How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?

No brains
2014-10-18, 03:49 PM
A 63
An equivalent amount to the value of their treasure based on their CR with possible quest completion bonuses.

Although not exactly RAW, Mongol hordes would not collect boards because they live in yurts. They would more likely have 10-foot poles than boards.

No brains
2014-11-12, 01:30 PM
Q 64
Why is it that basic English grammar ends up twisting the Gordian RAI/RAW Knot even tighter?

Q 65
Lol, how do I shot web?

Q 66
Or bows for that matter?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-12, 01:34 PM
A 65: In the same manner as attacking with a net, except it has a maximum range of 50 feet, a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than you.

Chronos
2014-11-12, 02:41 PM
A 66: By making a ranged attack roll against the bow's AC. If the bow is currently being wielded, you will also need the Ranged Sunder feat.

No brains
2014-11-13, 01:04 AM
Q 67
How is babby formed?

How is babby formed?

How girl get pregnet?

Inevitability
2014-11-13, 02:50 AM
A 67 Read the BOEF.

Venger
2014-11-13, 03:26 AM
Q68What is question 69?

Red Fel
2014-11-13, 03:39 AM
A 64 The Speak Language skill only requires a single skill point per language, and unless a character is illiterate, includes the ability to read that language. Thus, a single skill point investment is sufficient to consider someone "fluent" in a language.

Deciphering obtuse RAW is a challenge generally ranging from Tough (DC 15) to Formidable (DC 25). To consistently perform a skill check on such a challenge, one might need anywhere from 5-15 ranks in the skill.

Being fluent in English (or whatever language you're currently using), you have the equivalent of one point invested, or one skill rank.

I think you can see the problem.

Heliomance
2014-11-13, 04:12 AM
A 64 The Speak Language skill only requires a single skill point per language, and unless a character is illiterate, includes the ability to read that language. Thus, a single skill point investment is sufficient to consider someone "fluent" in a language.

Deciphering obtuse RAW is a challenge generally ranging from Tough (DC 15) to Formidable (DC 25). To consistently perform a skill check on such a challenge, one might need anywhere from 5-15 ranks in the skill.

Being fluent in English (or whatever language you're currently using), you have the equivalent of one point invested, or one skill rank.

I think you can see the problem.

Except you never make Speak Language checks. It has no associated atttribute, and is never rolled. The roll to interpret RAW would be a Decipher Script roll.

Necroticplague
2014-11-13, 05:29 AM
Except you never make Speak Language checks. It has no associated atttribute, and is never rolled. The roll to interpret RAW would be a Decipher Script roll.

Then what does skill focus(Speak Language) do?

Heliomance
2014-11-13, 05:44 AM
Then what does skill focus(Speak Language) do?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Judge_Worm
2014-11-13, 05:51 AM
Q70: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A69: (question not numbered) The feat Skill Focus (Speak Language) gives you a +3 bonus on all checks involving the Speak Language skill.

Heliomance
2014-11-13, 06:21 AM
A 70
A 17

There are no checks involving the Speak Language skill. The feat does nothing.

ranagrande
2014-11-13, 07:17 AM
A 70

If it has the Throw Anything feat, a woodchuck can chuck an amount of wood up to its maximum carrying capacity as an improvised weapon.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-11-13, 08:53 AM
Q71:
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

On that note...

Q72:
Where's Waldo?

Raven777
2014-11-13, 09:08 AM
A71 & A72: Wherever Discern Location (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernLocation.htm) tells you they are.

Venger
2014-11-13, 09:15 AM
A71 & A72: Wherever Discern Location (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernLocation.htm) tells you they are.

just make sure you don't use "locate city."

that way lies madness.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-13, 12:22 PM
Q73 Rate pain on a scale of 1 to 10.

Venger
2014-11-13, 12:24 PM
Q73 Rate pain on a scale of 1 to 10.

that one's easy

A73

1 green spine
2 red spine
3 flaw seeker
4 spine of rain
5 spine of snow
6 spine of mist
7 spine fighter
8 perfect of the south wind
9 perfect of the south wind
10 august perfect of roses.

Dalebert
2014-11-13, 12:47 PM

For a more detailed answer, you can check earlier in the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18087954&postcount=37).

Similarly, this one may have been asked before but I don't recall. Please forgive.

Q 74 If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Heliomance
2014-11-13, 01:04 PM
A 74 The Listen DC for a falling tree is not listed anywhere, so it's debatable if it makes a sound even if someone is there to hear it.

Shalist
2014-11-14, 03:23 AM
Q 75

Why do birds suddenly appear, ev'ry time you are near? (I mean seriously, you can't go anywhere without a massive flock of carrion birds showing up...What's with that?)

Venger
2014-11-14, 03:41 AM
q 75

why do birds suddenly appear, ev'ry time you are near? (i mean seriously, you can't go anywhere without a massive flock of carrion birds showing up...what's with that?)

crebain from dunland!

supermonkeyjoe
2014-11-14, 06:20 AM
Q 75

Why do birds suddenly appear, ev'ry time you are near? (I mean seriously, you can't go anywhere without a massive flock of carrion birds showing up...What's with that?)

A 75 I bound Malphus this morning

I found a wand of Summon Nature's ally

Contingent spell: Summon elysian thrush when you are in line of sight.

dascarletm
2014-11-14, 09:55 AM
Q 75

I took spell thematics.

flocks of carrion birds was... a poor choice

Venger
2014-11-14, 10:09 AM
where does were-murder of crows come into the equation?

it's probably why birds suddenly appear every time you are near.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-14, 11:55 AM
Q76 Am I?

Q77 Ay, where the Party At?

Q78 How long has this been going on?

Q79 And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Q80 Why are there so many....songs about rainbows?

Q81 Why do fools fall in love?

Q82 Who wrote the Book of Love?

Inevitability
2014-11-14, 03:34 PM
A 82 According to Wikipedia the great eldritch library of knowledge, a group of wizards known only as the Valor Project wrote the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Ernir
2014-11-15, 10:37 AM
And grapple!

Q54
Is there a set whose cardinality is strictly between that of the natural numbers and real numbers?

A54
No. The cardinality of natural numbers and real numbers is the same due to rounding rules.

Q76 Am I?
A76
Yes, the player and its role is defined on page 4 of the Player's Handbook.

Q77 Ay, where the Party At?

A77
See Discern Location. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernLocation.htm)

Q78 How long has this been going on?

A78
The Player's Handbook was first printed in July 2003.

Urpriest
2014-11-15, 02:44 PM
Q79 And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

A79 Since Ghostwalk was never updated to 3.5, nor was its content mentioned in any later sourcebooks, it can be concluded that WotC failed in their attempt to get players to trade their heroes for ghosts.

Denver
2014-11-15, 02:49 PM
Q83 Why do some people insist on waiting for twenty minutes (200 rounds) before they swim, if they have eaten food?

Venger
2014-11-15, 02:59 PM
A83 Some people actually play with encumbrance.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-11-15, 03:20 PM
A79
Yes, the Ghostwalk campaign setting makes ghost PC's quite viable especially if you play with the "No Calling" Option.

All about ghosts starts on page 7, the no calling varient is on page 12.

Q83 Why do some people insist on waiting for twenty minutes (200 rounds) before they swim, if they have eaten food?

A83 Some people actually play with encumbrance.

Sacred cow from previous editions that was based on otherwise fine writers basing rules on a flawed understanding of human biology.

Venger
2014-11-15, 03:31 PM
Sacred cow from previous editions that was based on otherwise fine writers basing rules on a flawed understanding of human biology.

regardless of the rules' accuracy or lack thereof, the question isn't that they're unrealistic/too realistic, it's whether it makes the game more fun, which they do not. people want to bean count exciting things, like how many negative levels they're inflicting or how many dice their mailman gets to hurl, not how many cans of sardines they're lugging around.

Curmudgeon
2014-11-15, 03:39 PM
A79 Since Ghostwalk was never updated to 3.5, nor was its content mentioned in any later sourcebooks, it can be concluded that WotC failed in their attempt to get players to trade their heroes for ghosts.
You appear to have overlooked the Ghostwalk v.3.5 Update, available here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a).

nyjastul69
2014-11-15, 03:46 PM
regardless of the rules' accuracy or lack thereof, the question isn't that they're unrealistic/too realistic, it's whether it makes the game more fun, which they do not. people want to bean count exciting things, like how many negative levels they're inflicting or how many dice their mailman gets to hurl, not how many cans of sardines they're lugging around.

Those things may make the game fun for some, for others, those things may not be as relevant. Encumbrance is a fairly important aspect of the game, IMO. I haven't ever played a game where encumberance was not a factor.

Venger
2014-11-15, 04:12 PM
Those things may make the game fun for some, for others, those things may not be as relevant. Encumbrance is a fairly important aspect of the game, IMO. I haven't ever played a game where encumberance was not a factor.

Okay. While I certainly don't aim to take away encumbrance from you if it's something you enjoy, in my experience, it's never been something that's added to my circle's experience. We don't really say "hey, remember the time you were carrying too many cords of rope, and then I had to take one from you so we were both under encumbrance? good times" to one another, but I'm sure that comes up in some groups.

I'm perfectly willing to admit encumbrance is realistic, but I don't see how it's important. Would you explain what you mean?

As far as it not being a factor, mules are only 35gp, and they can probably carry all your crap around for you starting at 3rd or 4th level, so it's pretty easy to make "not a factor" even in a group whose DM insists on it

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-15, 04:21 PM
I'm perfectly willing to admit encumbrance is realistic, but I don't see how it's important. Would you explain what you mean?

Encumbrance, food supplies, etc can be vital in the right game (such as when everyone is a first-level expert), not to mention fun. I played a mini-campaign a few months ago which revolved around a party of villagers delivering mail to surrounding towns; our main challenge was making sure we had enough food to make the journey from one town to the next (thankfully, one of us was a dwarf with Str 15, so encumbrance wasn't too much trouble), and it was one of the best games I've ever played in.

Venger
2014-11-15, 04:30 PM
Encumbrance, food supplies, etc can be vital in the right game (such as when everyone is a first-level expert), not to mention fun. I played a mini-campaign a few months ago which revolved around a party of villagers delivering mail to surrounding towns; our main challenge was making sure we had enough food to make the journey from one town to the next (thankfully, one of us was a dwarf with Str 15, so encumbrance wasn't too much trouble), and it was one of the best games I've ever played in.

I can understand that. But if that's your goal, it seems to me, D&D probably isn't the best system to simulate it. That sounds like a dogs in the vineyard game or something to me.

BrokenChord
2014-11-15, 04:38 PM
A79 addendum: As Hero Builder's Guidebook was never updated to 3.5, it's arguable whether players even have heroes to trade for ghosts.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-11-15, 04:53 PM
For the record I was referring to the 20 minute rule being inaccurate in reality.

Previous editions=Folksy wisdom of previous generations.

otherwise fine writers=your grandmother (or whatever authority figure told you about the rule)

The rule may stem from a minor disasvantage recently eating applies to serious athletes, but most theorize it came from pool owners wanting to keep sticky food fingers out of the water or people like camp councilers that just wanted a quick break from lifeguard duty after lunch.

Venger
2014-11-15, 05:06 PM
For the record I was referring to the 20 minute rule being inaccurate in reality.

Previous editions=Folksy wisdom of previous generations.

otherwise fine writers=your grandmother (or whatever authority figure told you about the rule)

The rule may stem from a minor disasvantage recently eating applies to serious athletes, but most theorize it came from pool owners wanting to keep sticky food fingers out of the water or people like camp councilers that just wanted a quick break from lifeguard duty after lunch.

I think that part was clear.

My intention was to reply in an appropriately facetious manner citing seemingly irrelevant rules requiring the necessary leaps of logic we've been doing so far.

My implication was that, since swim is a str check, eating some trivial amount of food would put you over encumbrance by a pound or two and you'd need to wait until you'd voided your bowels until you could make a swim check at your highest possible bonus.

the rule (swimming after eating) may also have to do with pool owners wanting to prevent people from casting befoul in the pool, since if you just ate lunch and are going swimming, you may not feel like getting out again 20 minutes later.

No brains
2014-11-15, 09:54 PM
People, please remember that this is a high-procedure thread.:smallbiggrin:

Actually, I have a better idea! Whenever you want to post outside of the typical format, do something weird like zalgo morphic text, typing backward, adding superfluous bullet points, something special. It keeps the 'air of "mystery"' theme going well!

Venger
2014-11-15, 10:13 PM
People, please remember that this is a high-procedure thread.:smallbiggrin:

Are you being serious?

the answer is obviously no, but I'm going to act as though you were, much like the thread as a whole

Actually, I have a better idea! Whenever you want to post outside of the typical format, do something weird like zalgo morphic text, typing backward, adding superfluous bullet points, something special. It keeps the 'air of "mystery"' theme going well!

ok

SiuiS
2014-11-16, 12:05 AM
[
Q 52
How can i make an engine that runs at near, equal to, and above 100% efficiency?

Shadow craft Mage and greater shadow something or other to creates Guards and Wards.

Q 53: What is the riddle of steel?

"How does a sword mean?", sword sage flavor text from time of battle.

Q 61
Why worry about the man who practiced 1 kick 1000 times?

One thousand successful kicks means one thousand successful uses of either; snap kick, jump kick, flying kick or similar martial feats, putting this man at minimum sixth level and high enough optimization to succeed against level appropriate encounters as a mundane character.

The sound of one hand clapping is a parable about the issuance of sound without thought, as one must move when doing sword work. It is often used when conditioning for iaido, and iaijutsu rules are found in the oriental adventures supplement.

Q 64
Why is it that basic English grammar ends up twisting the Gordian RAI/RAW Knot even tighter?

Because Speak Language does not actually affect your Profession (Lawyer) skill despite both applying in theory, much the same way Profession (actor) does not replace bluff or disguise.

Q68What is question 69?

What does skill focus (Speak language) do.

Up to their carrying capacity if used as an improvised weapon.

Books not updated to 3.5 are grandfathered in and do not need to be updated.

A79 addendum: As Hero Builder's Guidebook was never updated to 3.5, it's arguable whether players even have heroes to trade for ghosts.

Books not specifically updated to 3.5 do not need to be updated. They are considered RAW compliant and any issues involving nonexistent feats or skills in specific entries as requirements do not change that.

No brains
2014-11-16, 01:45 AM
Are you being serious?

the answer is obviously no, but I'm going to act as though you were, much like the thread as a whole

ok

:wink:
BEST JOB!

Q84
How can it be so wrong when it feels so right?

SiuiS
2014-11-16, 01:55 AM
A84 Alignment is not a moral system, and all alignments recieve equal treatment as well as equal validation and ethical viability.

Urpriest
2014-11-16, 11:47 AM
You appear to have overlooked the Ghostwalk v.3.5 Update, available here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a).

Books not updated to 3.5 are grandfathered in and do not need to be updated.

Books not updated to 3.5, or (in this case) updated in such a way that few people on this forum are aware of them, do not have sufficient popularity to have convinced the gaming community at large to trade their heroes for ghosts.

SiuiS
2014-11-16, 01:45 PM
Books not updated to 3.5, or (in this case) updated in such a way that few people on this forum are aware of them, do not have sufficient popularity to have convinced the gaming community at large to trade their heroes for ghosts.

I concede that.

The Viscount
2014-11-16, 11:27 PM
Q80 Why are there so many....songs about rainbows?

Q81 Why do fools fall in love?

A80Bards compose songs about great deeds. A large number of prismatic [x] spells exist, the more powerful ones will likely be subject of song.

A81The PHB says that a character with low wisdom can be foolish or lack common sense. Thus fools have low wis. A low wis character has lower will saves, and thus is more likely to fail the save against charm person and similar enchantment spells.

Q85 Why am always hungry?

Venger
2014-11-16, 11:29 PM
A85 Because when I invited you over for dinner, all those buffalo wings were actually just an illusory feast.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-17, 06:35 AM
A85 Because when I invited you over for dinner, all those buffalo wings were actually just an illusory feast.

Huzzah! Party at Venger's, free wings an beer!

Venger
2014-11-17, 04:41 PM
Huzzah! Party at Venger's, free wings an beer!

Yes, everyone's invited to my magnificent mansion. Please try to ignore all the freeloading silver keys, neither I nor my unseen servants can figure out how to get rid of them.

Q86What is it like to be the bad man?

Chronos
2014-11-17, 09:07 PM
Q 87:

How is a raven like a writing desk?

Curmudgeon
2014-11-17, 09:45 PM
A 87

Ravens and writing desks match in Alignment (Neutral), Organization (solitary), and Advancement (none, or "—").

heavyfuel
2014-11-17, 10:04 PM
A 86

Being evil makes you subject to a number of rules that normally don't affect good or non-evil character. Notably, you have the PHB's Paladin and both his Detect Evil and Smite Evil ability which will make you easier to identify and hit. If you're a Cleric, that means you channel negative energy instead of positive energy which means you Command Undead instead of Turning them, and that you also convert spells into Inflict spells instead of Cure spells.

If you're a Divine Caster, it probably means you can't cast spells with the [Good] descriptior, although there are some exceptions.

Basically, there are a bunch of good and bad things that come from being evil in D&D, and since most of them are a matter of personal opinion, they are outside the scope of this thread. I suggest you make a new one to discuss them.

Elricaltovilla
2014-11-18, 02:25 AM
Q 88

How do I get her to go out with me?

Heliomance
2014-11-18, 02:30 AM
A88: Dominate Person.

Lady Serpentine
2014-11-18, 05:53 AM
A88: Dominate Person.

Isn't dominating her more appropriate for after you start going out?

Q89: If you can cure wounds, does that mean that they are a disease?

Edit: Q90: If 'cure light wounds' is a spell, what form of Light causes wounds? And does this affect the answer to the question re: Darkness and Light casters?

Petrocorus
2014-11-18, 08:15 AM
Yes, everyone's invited to my magnificent mansion. Please try to ignore all the freeloading silver keys, neither I nor my unseen servants can figure out how to get rid of them.

Could you enlighten me about this thing with Magnificent Mansion and silver keys?

Q86 What is it like to be the bad man?
A 86: Behind blue eyes?

Q 88
How do I get her to go out with me?

A 88: Cloak of Charisma + Eagle's Splendor + display of your WBL.
Plus, potentially, PAO into a "bigger" yourself.

GreatDane
2014-11-18, 08:19 AM
Q 87:
How is a raven like a writing desk?
A 87
According to polymorph any object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), a raven is entirely unlike a writing desk, as they share no characteristics. Indeed, a raven transformed into a writing desk would remain that way for only 20 minutes.

Dalebert
2014-11-18, 08:43 AM
Q 91 Is it better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all?

heavyfuel
2014-11-18, 09:10 AM
A 89

No. HP and Diseases are different things, with their own entries in the PHB or DMG. Also, Diseases must be cured by Remove Disease or Heal spell.

A 90

Some spells, like Radiant Assault from SC have the [Light] descriptior and cause damage, however, a Cure Light Wounds spell would still only cure 1d8+CL (max +5) hit points.

avr
2014-11-18, 10:24 AM
A 91
Yes; the Nymph's Kiss and Lichloved feats can only be taken by those who have 'loved' appropriately.

Inevitability
2014-11-18, 11:15 AM
Q92 What sets man apart from beasts?

Q93 For whom does the bell toll?

Chronos
2014-11-18, 11:57 AM
A 92:

Humanoids and magical beasts differ in almost all of their features and traits. Humanoids have a d8 HD, while magical beasts have a d10. Humanoids have medium BAB progression, while magical beasts have full BAB. Humanoids have a single good save, usually Reflex, while magical beasts have both Fort and Reflex. Humanoids are proficient in all simple weapons, and with the armor it is described as wearing, or by class, while magical beasts are proficient in their natural weapons and in no armor. Magical beasts also have darkvision and low-light vision. The only feature they have in common is 2+int skill points per HD, and the only trait in common is that they both eat, sleep, and breathe.

On the whole, humanoids are inferior to magical beasts.

Dalebert
2014-11-18, 12:03 PM
A 93 In an alarm spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alarm), it's the caster's choice whether only he can hear it or everyone within hearing distance.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 12:08 PM
On the whole, humanoids are inferior to magical beasts.

However, they (in almost all cases) have significantly lower base ECLs, which means they advance through character levels much more quickly.

Petrocorus
2014-11-18, 12:39 PM
Q92 What sets man apart from beasts?

A92 Addendum If we understand the questions as "What sets sentient beings apart from animals?", then the answer is that animals have an Intelligence of 1 or 2, while sentient being (including some Magical Beasts) have 3 or more in Intelligence.

Inevitability
2014-11-18, 02:48 PM
Q94 Is it better to be loved or to be feared?

Q95 What is best in life?

Venger
2014-11-18, 04:08 PM
Could you enlighten me about this thing with Magnificent Mansion and silver keys?

Yeah, sure. I've been making this joke in a couple of different threads:

Silver key's capstone ability, "mastery of doors" allows you to walk through stuff like arcane locks, phase doors, passwalls and such as though you were one of the characters originally designated. This leads to you being able to enter a variety of effects that have no other way of getting in there, such as mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, which is one of the examples the rules texts uses.

Consequently, whenever I talk about a mordenkainen's magnificent mansion spell, I mention the number of freeloading silver keys who are there just hanging out for the free grub.

A94 The only mechanical effect deriving from being loved is being subject to a love's pain when your admirer is blasted by an enemy love's pain spell. Fear effects debuff enemies and make them run away. Clearly it's better to be feared.

Petrocorus
2014-11-18, 04:30 PM
Yeah, sure. I've been making this joke in a couple of different threads:

Silver key's capstone ability, "mastery of doors" allows you to walk through stuff like arcane locks, phase doors, passwalls and such as though you were one of the characters originally designated. This leads to you being able to enter a variety of effects that have no other way of getting in there, such as mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, which is one of the examples the rules texts uses.

Consequently, whenever I talk about a mordenkainen's magnificent mansion spell, I mention the number of freeloading silver keys who are there just hanging out for the free grub.

I ... I was actually picturing literal silver keys. Not Silver Key Dwarves. Heck, this is why we don't like dwarves, they don't respect other people's privacy.

Urpriest
2014-11-18, 04:39 PM
Q94 Is it better to be loved or to be feared?

A94 No. An Elixir of Love is a first-level spell effect (based to a great extent on Charm Person), as is Cause Fear. Since Cause Fear only lasts 1d4 rounds while an Elixir of Love lasts a matter of hours, we can conclude that Cause Fear is otherwise a more powerful effect from the perspective of the caster, and thus needs a shorter duration for balance.

Endless Query
2014-11-18, 07:49 PM
Q95: How am I going to stop some mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

zergling.exe
2014-11-18, 11:29 PM
Q95: How am I going to stop some mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind?

A95 The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work... *sounds of heavy machine gun fire* use more gun. *sounds of grenades exploding* *looks to the explosion and smiles* (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI)
-The Engineer

You do this by using the Crafting rules in the Player's Handbook on pages 70 and 71 to create firearms from the Dungeon Master's Guide on pages 145 and 146.

Note that if your setting is not sufficiently advanced you may not be able to actually make these.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 11:49 PM
Note that if your setting is not sufficiently advanced you may not be able to actually make these.

Alternately, wands of Scorching Ray and Fireball could do the trick.

Inevitability
2014-11-19, 01:51 AM
Q95 What is best in life?

Cough.
The cake is a lie.

Urpriest
2014-11-19, 01:32 PM
A92 Addendum If we understand the questions as "What sets sentient beings apart from animals?", then the answer is that animals have an Intelligence of 1 or 2, while sentient being (including some Magical Beasts) have 3 or more in Intelligence.

A92 Further Since beasts no longer exist and men do (in 3.5), it can be concluded that edition changes are what separate the men from the beasts.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-19, 02:09 PM
A 95

Ethereal Jaunt
You become ethereal, along with your equipment. For the duration of the spell, you are in a place called the Ethereal Plane, which overlaps the normal, physical, Material Plane. When the spell expires, you return to material existence.

An ethereal creature is invisible, insubstantial, and capable of moving in any direction, even up or down, albeit at half normal speed. As an insubstantial creature, you can move through solid objects, including living creatures.

No one can tear that which is ether.

A92 Further Since beasts no longer exist and men do (in 3.5), it can be concluded that edition changes are what separate the men from the beasts.

And here I thought that was why crowbars were standard adventuring gear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#crowbar).

zergling.exe
2014-11-19, 02:16 PM
A 95

Ethereal Jaunt

No one can tear that which is ether.

And here I thought that was why crowbars were standard adventuring gear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#crowbar).

Being ethereal does not protect you from other ethereal creatures (like the ethereal filcher ethereal marauder).

Heliomance
2014-11-19, 02:43 PM
Q 97 What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Q 98 What is the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-19, 04:48 PM
A 98: What's in the rest of the Tome of Battle errata?

Alternately, are Dragonwrought Kobolds true dragons?

Shining Wrath
2014-11-19, 10:31 PM
Q 97 What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Q 98 What is the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?

A97 54.
A98 Who wants to know?

SiuiS
2014-11-20, 12:16 AM
A 91
Yes; the Nymph's Kiss and Lichloved feats can only be taken by those who have 'loved' appropriately.

Objection: neither feat requires love – one requires intimacy but not sex by necessity and the other requires perverse rituals.

Love subjects you to Love's Pain and Love's Lament, which means it is likely not better to have loved and lost. This is why PCs rarely have family or friends.

Cough.
The cake is a lie.

I is what is best in life, as unlike the other letters, it is designated of the ego which powers a character class (Psion). Only those four letters are in life, so RAW that's the best we have.

A97 54.
A98 Who wants to know?

Objection: this is not RAW.

Petrocorus
2014-11-20, 07:02 AM
This thread is Epic!
But i dare you to solve this one:

Q 99: Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Chronos
2014-11-20, 11:13 AM
Q 100: Why?

Lightlawbliss
2014-11-20, 02:10 PM
A100: Because!

No brains
2014-11-20, 05:59 PM
People, please remember that this is a highly procedural thread. Or if you don't then please remember the ridiculousness tax for speaking out of format.
:biggrin:

This thread is Epic!
Say this in some context that gives me credit and not only do you win three tax-free posts, I'll gladly sig it!:smallsmile:

A 100/46
Because RAW rulings guarantee a consistent, if consistently ridiculous, framework from which the game can be played.

Petrocorus
2014-11-20, 07:00 PM
[COLOR="#FF0000"]
Say this in some context that gives me credit and not only do you win three tax-free posts, I'll gladly sig it!:smallsmile:

Do you mean something like this:

This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.

?

No brains
2014-11-21, 05:11 PM
Do you mean something like this:

This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.

?

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101207025935/mk_/images/5/5e/Shao_Kahn.jpg
OUTSTANDING!

I may edit it for brevity or to include a link to the thread, but if you prefer, I can preserve its original staged format. :smallbiggrin:
Thank you.

Milodiah
2014-11-21, 05:15 PM
Q101: Is there truly such a thing as free will?

No brains
2014-11-21, 05:28 PM
A 101
While there is no article or definition specifically on "Free Will", there are a lot of context clues that imply that "Free Will" is what a creature possesses when not under a few different spells or effects that usually mimic spells of the Enchantment school.

Venger
2014-11-21, 05:31 PM
A101Charm person is a 1st level spell.

Given the average percentage of a settlement's population that is in possession of wizard levels and assuming an elite array, a 1st level NPC wizard will have 4 1st lvl slots a day. 5 if he's an enchanter, 6 if he's a focused specialist.

This will enable him to (potentially) charm 6 people every single day. more if you take wands and/or scrolls into account.

Scale the numbers up for larger settlements with population caps high enough to allow 9th lvl casters and the same is true of dominate, though he has more slots and higher DCs.

Conclusion, literally everyone would be dominated in very short order, especially the casters themselves in case someone else tried to dominate them later and/or they did some crimes, so they can honestly testify (and ping on spellcraft/aura sight/etc) as being dominated.

However the prevailing command would likely be "act normally until xyz trigger" so as not to invite suspicion.

So none of have free will, but we think we do. Which is pretty much the same thing.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-21, 05:32 PM
A101: Yes. All characters have a Will save and do not need to expend resources to acquire or use it.

Petrocorus
2014-11-21, 06:57 PM
I may edit it for brevity or to include a link to the thread, but if you prefer, I can preserve its original staged format. :smallbiggrin:
Thank you.

Feel free to do as you prefer, honestly, i was not completely sure of what you meant.

The Viscount
2014-11-21, 07:16 PM
This thread is Epic!
But i dare you to solve this one:

Q 99: Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

A 99: "A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to his bard level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people[...]."
This is about a notable person but a minor detail, so a DC 30 bardic knowledge check.

Venger
2014-11-21, 07:19 PM
Q102 How is there any wood left?

Urpriest
2014-11-21, 07:25 PM
Q102 How is there any wood left?

A102 Trees are living objects. Not being creatures, they cannot be reduced to negative hit points, and thus cannot die.

Petrocorus
2014-11-21, 07:26 PM
A 99: "A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to his bard level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people[...]."
This is about a notable person but a minor detail, so a DC 30 bardic knowledge check.

Thank you. Happy to see that.

Denver
2014-11-21, 07:41 PM
Q103: What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? Does something gotta give?

Venger
2014-11-21, 07:44 PM
Q103: What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? Does something gotta give?

A103 Force effects offer no special efficacy against obdurium and provide no advantage in bypassing its hardness.

Petrocorus
2014-11-21, 07:50 PM
A103 Force effects offer no special efficacy against obdurium and provide no advantage in bypassing its hardness.

Q 103 Continuation: Is it possible to break magic items, like Immovable Rods?

Venger
2014-11-21, 08:06 PM
Q 103 Continuation: Is it possible to break magic items, like Immovable Rods?

A103 (b)

Yes. talk to a forsaker or blackguard or some other fool who actually took improved loot smashing sunder.

No brains
2014-11-25, 04:15 PM
Q 104
Help! I'm an evolving life form of the phylum cordata and I need desperate assistance optimizing my build for my environment!

Urpriest
2014-11-25, 04:32 PM
Q 104
Help! I'm an evolving life form of the phylum cordata and I need desperate assistance optimizing my build for my environment!

A 104

Consider the Spinemeld Warrior PrC (Magic of Incarnum) for putting your developing spine to good use.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 04:39 PM
... SNIP ...
Objection: this is not RAW.

If the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy be not RAW, I don't want to be Write.

No brains
2014-11-26, 12:30 PM
Q 105
If rays usually only need a ranged touch attack to hit, why is it a manta ray needs a regular melee attack to hit?

Curmudgeon
2014-11-26, 12:40 PM
A 105

Manta Rays have no ability to cast Wraithstrike (Spell Compendium, page 243) because their Advancement entry of "5-6 HD (Medium)" precludes adding Sorcerer, Wizard, or Assassin class levels.

Heliomance
2014-11-26, 02:48 PM
A103 (b)

Yes. talk to a forsaker or blackguard or some other fool who actually took improved loot smashing sunder.

Or an Artificer, of course. They can actually get some use out of breaking it.

atemu1234
2014-11-26, 07:13 PM
Or an Artificer, of course. They can actually get some use out of breaking it.

Only a moderate amount, however.

Milo v3
2014-11-26, 07:51 PM
Q106 Who is the fairest of them all?

Venger
2014-11-26, 08:49 PM
A106 Ivory Flesh is a 1st level spell. it can be had trivially.

Renen
2014-11-26, 10:23 PM
Q 107
To be or not to be?

TheTeaMustFlow
2014-11-26, 11:46 PM
A 107: Given that to be means to be statted, and to be statted means to be killable, it is clearly better not to be.

Q 108: What is the Form of the Good?
Q 109: Who will bell the cat?
Q 110: Who is John Galt?
Q 110 Addendum: Why won't John Galt shut up?
Q 111: What is the relationship between mind and body?
Q 112: What happens next?

Chronos
2014-11-27, 12:25 AM
A 108:

Good comes in many forms, such as a lantern archon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm#lanternArchon), leonal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/leonal.htm), or solar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelSolar)

A 109:

This would be a task well-suited for the Unseen Servant produced by a collar of perpetual attendance (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c).

A 112:

The character with the next-highest initiative count takes his or her turn, or if the previous character had the lowest initiative count, the next round starts with the character with the highest count.

Renen
2014-11-27, 12:52 AM
A 107: Given that to be means to be statted, and to be statted means to be killable, it is clearly better not to be.

The lady of pain got **** figured out!!

A 111
Dominant. The mind wins.

Mind Over Body [General]

Your ability damage heals more rapidly.
Prerequisite
Con 13.
Benefit
You heal ability damage and ability burn damage more quickly than normal. You heal a number of ability points per day equal to 1 + your Constitution bonus.
Normal
You heal ability damage and ability burn damage at a rate of 1 point per day.

Q 113
What is your name?
Q 114
What is your favorite color?
Q 115
What is your quest?

Inevitability
2014-11-27, 01:51 AM
Q116 Does the end justify the means?

ericgrau
2014-11-27, 10:00 AM
Q116 Does the end justify the means?

A116
Yes: http://postimg.org/image/rr1kwnohf/

No brains
2014-11-28, 03:19 PM
A113
A character's name is described on page 108 of the PHB in Chapter 6: Description. It is mostly a role-playing element used for flavor.

A114
Search Format Error The favored (favorite) weapon of Garl Glittergold is "Arumdina".

Q 115
Quest is the name divine casters prefer for the spell Geas/Quest. More generally, a quest could refer to the goals of an adventure or campaign.

Renen
2014-11-28, 03:34 PM

A 101
Yes. But only until mindrape finishes casting.

Heliomance
2014-11-28, 05:29 PM

A 101 No, Iron Will costs a feat. Other ways of obtaining it without paying a feat cost, such as the Otyugh Hole, have their own associated costs. The only way to get free Will is through DM fiat.

No brains
2014-12-05, 09:24 PM
Q 117
Who you ganna call?

Q 118
What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Q 119
Are you a bad enough dude to save the president?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-05, 09:28 PM
A 117
The Hunter of the Dead prestige class is on page 42 of Complete Warrior.

atemu1234
2014-12-05, 09:33 PM
A119 Dutiful Guardian is in Drow of the Underdark, page 50.

Q120 How does one teach another to dougie?

Petrocorus
2014-12-06, 07:06 AM
Q 117 Who you ganna call?

A 117 Addendum: You're average Cleric with his Turn Undead ability is the first one to call. If he's not enough, you can then call Hunters of the Dead, Knights of the Raven, Radiant Servants of Pelor, and other specialists of undead busting.

Q 121: How to get away with murder?

Heliomance
2014-12-06, 07:48 AM
A 117 Addendum: You're average Cleric with his Turn Undead ability is the first one to call. If he's not enough, you can then call Hunters of the Dead, Knights of the Raven, Radiant Servants of Pelor, and other specialists of undead busting.

Q 121: How to get away with murder?

A 121: The Murder of Crows is in Tome of Magic, p87. If your DM allows you to become a Were-Murder of Crows, I believe that would qualify.

Chronos
2014-12-06, 10:31 AM
A 118:

Good quality meals, which cost 5 GP per day, differ from common-quality meals, which cost 3 SP per day, primarily by the inclusion of pastries or other desserts. Extrapolating from this, a single dessert should cost in the vicinity of 2 GP. Thus, what you would do for a Klondike bar would be to pay 2 GP, or to render other products or services of equivalent value.

ericgrau
2014-12-06, 10:41 AM
Q120 How does one teach another to dougie?
A120. Perform (dance) covers all varieties of dance. You don't need anyone to teach it to you, you simply put ranks in it. However the DMG has optional rules on training where you may need downtime and/or gold to give to a trainer who teaches you the skills you gain when you level. Likewise there are fudge rules where if you put in your backstory or roleplay learning the dougie, the DM may choose to give you a +2 to bonus to perform (dance) checks related to the dougie.

This one is kinda sad because there are 3 rules for it and this really is how it works. Sad in that there are obscure rules for every tiny little thing and they aren't organized anywhere near each other. Covering everything is good I suppose. That they are obscure and on multiple different pages to address one 5 second comment by a player isn't good.

Lightlawbliss
2014-12-06, 12:51 PM
A 118:

Good quality meals, which cost 5 GP per day, differ from common-quality meals, which cost 3 SP per day, primarily by the inclusion of pastries or other desserts. Extrapolating from this, a single dessert should cost in the vicinity of 2 GP. Thus, what you would do for a Klondike bar would be to pay 2 GP, or to render other products or services of equivalent value.

good quality meals are 5 SP, not GP, and your math is made correct by saying 5 SP - 3 SP = 2 SP, so the Klondike Bar is 2 SP (If you assume the Klondike Bar is the entire dessert.

atemu1234
2014-12-06, 01:19 PM
Q122: How do I get rich, quick?

ericgrau
2014-12-06, 01:49 PM
A122 NPCs have the most loot for their CR based on the NPC WBL tables. Some monsters also have triple standard treasure, but they tend to be a little strong for their CR.