PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Use magic item/wand/scroll

LucianoAr
2014-09-09, 09:48 PM
i cant seem to find any rules for this, except the rogue archetype that lets you use magic items
at lvl 13 i think.

anyone found anything else?

FadeAssassin
2014-09-09, 10:15 PM
I believe you can only use spell scrolls if they are of a class and level you have.

For Example, a 3rd Level Cleric could cast a 1st or 2nd level spell scroll if the spell appears on the Cleric's Spell List.
They're couldn't cast Animal Friendship, but a Bard of the same level could. But That same Bard couldn't use a Bless Scroll, but the cleric could. And of course the Rogue at 13th Level can cast any scroll.

LucianoAr
2014-09-09, 10:24 PM
I believe you can only use spell scrolls if they are of a class and level you have.

For Example, a 3rd Level Cleric could cast a 1st or 2nd level spell scroll if the spell appears on the Cleric's Spell List.
They're couldn't cast Animal Friendship, but a Bard of the same level could. But That same Bard couldn't use a Bless Scroll, but the cleric could. And of course the Rogue at 13th Level can cast any scroll.

so what about wands? that would really change the way there were used up to now

FadeAssassin
2014-09-09, 10:31 PM
I think it's the same way, but I'm not sure

The only Items I know that can cast spells but be used by non-spellcasters are Weapons that occassionally have spells inlaid in them, like This:

A sentient (neutral evil) greatsword, Hazirawn is capable
of speech in Common and Netherese. Even if you aren’t
attuned to the sword, you gain a +1 bonus on attack
rolls and damage rolls made with this weapon. If you
are attuned to Hazirawn, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic
damage when you hit with the weapon.
Increased Potency. While you are attuned to this
weapon, its bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls
increases to +2, and a hit deals an extra 2d6 necrotic
damage (instead of 1d6).
Spells. Hazirawn has 4 charges to cast spells. As long
as the sword is attuned to you and you are holding it in
your hand, you can cast detect magic (1 charge), detect
evil and good (1 charge), or detect thoughts (2 charges).
Each night at midnight, Hazirawn regains 1d4 expended
charges.
Wounding. While you are attuned to the weapon,
any creature that you hit with Hazirawn can’t regain
hit points for 1 minute. The target can make a DC 15
Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns,
ending this effect early on a success.

And that is official, from Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Sidmen
2014-09-09, 10:56 PM
From the free DM document:

If the spell written on the scroll appears on your class’s spell list, and the spell’s level is one that you can normally cast, you cast the spell successfully. Otherwise, you must make an Intelligence (Arcana) check to see if you can successfully cast it. The DC equals 10 plus the spell’s level. On a failed check, reading the scroll only consumes its magic with no other effect.

There are two wands also in that document, they make no mention of needing to fulfill any requirements to use them. I suspect this is intentional, and wands can be used by anyone unless specifically stated otherwise. Here is one of the wands for reference:

Wand of Magic Detection
While you hold this wand, you can cast the detect magic spell at will, without using any components.

FadeAssassin
2014-09-09, 10:57 PM
Yeah... I forgot to look at the DM's Basic rules. Good Job Sidman.

Sidmen
2014-09-09, 10:59 PM
Yeah... I forgot to look at the DM's Basic rules. Good Job Sidman.

Thanks, though it was entirely accidental. I was literally just looking at the magic items there in another window while planning out my next session (my first real dungeon crawl).

LucianoAr
2014-09-09, 11:23 PM
Thanks, though it was entirely accidental. I was literally just looking at the magic items there in another window while planning out my next session (my first real dungeon crawl).

indeed gj.

following logic, it seems that wands will be available for anyone, and then scrolls will have that ruling.