PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed I need lots of statue-like creatures, what are they?

Oryan77
2014-09-10, 10:17 AM
I'm trying to fill a maze with a mix of normal statues of people with a mix of creature "statues".

I can think of the Gargoyle, Stone Golem, Animated Object, and Caryatid Column, but what other 3.5e stone-like creatures exist that I could use for CR 6 group?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 10:21 AM
Elder Eidolon is a template from Lords of Madness for weird, non-euclidean constructs (it's basically the Effigy creature on LSD), and the fluff has them made of weird-looking igneous stone. Adds 3 to a creature's CR, best used with already strange-looking things (the example creature is a kraken).

Segev
2014-09-10, 10:28 AM
Galeb-dur
earth elemental
stone giant
pseudodragon can use its chameleon-skin to fake it
doppelganger (copying a gargoyle or similar)
mimic
Elder Eidolon (template from Lords of Madness; construct made of noneuclidean geometry that mimics a creature but is made of eldrich stone)
Ghosts or Shadows or other incorporeal creatures can hide inside statues
Roper, if you are willing to stretch definitions one way or another

lytokk
2014-09-10, 10:52 AM
There's always the warforged. While they don't get any bonuses from standing still, they also don't need to breath, and it would be very difficult to spot that they aren't statues. The best part about them is they'll be intelligent enough constructs to use tactics against the group.

The scalamagdrion from magic of faerun it has an aura of silence that extends from its body for a radius of 20 ft. I intend to use it on my group soon, describing hearing breathing from the other side of the door, but once the door is opened, or it hears the group, the sound stops and then guy just holds still until either they spot him breathing or gets close enough to launch his attack, which will be while a player is in the radius of the silence spell, which should be even more fun.

arkangel111
2014-09-10, 10:55 AM
Trick the party. Have them fight some stone statue humanoids in one area. Next face them with more statues but instead they fight animated objects like the bench the statues were sitting on. Then in a third area have everything be inanimate but they face animated bushes. Make sure everything radiates magic so they can't tell what's gonna jump at them.

satcharna
2014-09-10, 01:21 PM
On the PF side, you have Petrified Maidens and Stone Maidens. Undead and elemental respectively. Looks like they would be fairly simple to convert from Pathfinder.

Psyren
2014-09-10, 02:41 PM
You could take a bunch of regular monsters and slap on the effigy template. Effigy Minotaurs, Effigy Dire Lions, Effigy Ogres etc. You can even just paint them white after that.

Shining Wrath
2014-09-10, 03:23 PM
And then Aslan shows up, breathes on the lot, and turns them back to living creatures? :smallbiggrin:

This story's been told, and Flesh to Stone + Animate Object (statue) can give you anything you can imagine. May I suggest a stone Beholder just to cause underwear stains in your party?

Dorian Gray
2014-09-10, 03:30 PM
Glass golem probably works, although I don't know its CR off the top of my head. Ragamoffyns too, if you're willing to play fast and lose, but I think we've mostly exhausted the easier pickings.

Chronos
2014-09-10, 03:39 PM
Dark Sun (2nd edition) had a monster called a styr, which looked like a large stature with four faces and four arms. I can't find anything about them in 3rd edition, though (it doesn't help that they name looks so much like "satyr").

illyahr
2014-09-10, 04:10 PM
And to top it all off, a Green Star Adept from Complete Arcane as a final boss. Have it's base be a Warlock and stand with it's finger pointed. See how long it takes them to realize it isn't a statue with a trap on it. :smallbiggrin:

Rijan_Sai
2014-09-10, 04:20 PM
And to top it all off, a Green Star Adept from Complete Arcane as a final boss. Have it's base be a Warlock and stand with it's finger pointed. See how long it takes them to realize it isn't a statue with a trap on it. :smallbiggrin:

This makes me smile! :smallamused:

Two thoughts that I had before reading ^that:

1) Make sure to have some normal statues around, just to make the party nervous.

2) Possibly include a medusa "sculptor."

esbear42
2014-09-10, 05:00 PM
It might also be worth considering an earth elemental. When the players are getting paranoid, have the earth they are standing on attack them.

malonkey1
2014-09-10, 05:16 PM
One possibility: Petrified soldiers with a trap that casts flesh to stone on them.

Oryan77
2014-09-10, 05:38 PM
1) Make sure to have some normal statues around, just to make the party nervous.

2) Possibly include a medusa "sculptor."

That's exactly what I'm doing and why I created this thread. :smallbiggrin:

I created a Medusa as a boss at the end of a maze and filled her room with statues. That is kind of obvious to a lot of players familiar with Medusas, so I thought it would be a good idea to fill the rest of the maze with normal statues, animated statues, statue traps, and then stone creatures. So they'll never know what they are up against in this maze, and by the time they make it to the Medusa lair, it may not even occur to them that they are about to face a Medusa.

The Viscount
2014-09-11, 12:15 AM
The Marut could pass for a statue, though an extremely ornate one. A Zelekhut of slightly different construction from the sample one could probably pass as well.

Diovid
2014-09-11, 01:32 AM
Wheeping angels?

Bullet06320
2014-09-11, 02:04 AM
helmed horrors
glyph guardians Dragon Mag 302 pg 66
there is also a creature from a dragon magazine that is wall carving but it can leave the wall and attack, I cant find it right now tho.
oooo look at the pretty wall carving, roll for initiative, lol

Chronos
2014-09-11, 09:46 AM
A warlock "statue" with a pointing finger won't work. Despite invocations and Eldritch Blast being spell-like abilities, they still have somatic components.

illyahr
2014-09-11, 09:55 AM
A warlock "statue" with a pointing finger won't work. Despite invocations and Eldritch Blast being spell-like abilities, they still have somatic components.

Not if he has the feat to use it without somatic components. :smallamused:

I created a Medusa as a boss at the end of a maze and filled her room with statues. That is kind of obvious to a lot of players familiar with Medusas, so I thought it would be a good idea to fill the rest of the maze with normal statues, animated statues, statue traps, and then stone creatures. So they'll never know what they are up against in this maze, and by the time they make it to the Medusa lair, it may not even occur to them that they are about to face a Medusa.

A medusa Warlock/Green Star Adept. If you don't look, you get zapped. If you look to see what's zapping you, you get turned to stone. :smallbiggrin: