PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Wildshape Ranger

tricktroller
2014-09-10, 11:13 AM
Hey Folks!

It has been awhile since I've been on here, hope you are all doing well.

I have a character concept that I think would be very useful in a part.

Dwarf Shapeshifting Ranger
ACFs
Trap Expert
Spiritual Connection
Distracting Attack
Arcane Hunter
Champion of the Wild

Now this character is for a low OP game. I don't think we will even have a wizard in the party and since I played the last 6 wizards for the group I don't wanna.

With this character I will be able to be a front line fighter, a scout, and a trap finder. This gives me quite a bit of utility at low levels and even more at higher levels. I am taking the following feats:

1st Alertness
3rd ?
R3 Endurance
R4 Eyes in the Back of Your Head
6th Strong Stomach

He won't be the best fighter or the best rogue at first but after 6th level he will be pretty damn impressive. I plan to go into dark stalker form after 6th for the 3d6 sneak attack.

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to offer any suggestions.

juicycaboose
2014-09-10, 11:27 AM
2 Levels of Deepwarden (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=4) will give you Trapsense and Con to AC instead of Dex

tricktroller
2014-09-10, 11:46 AM
That actually fits pretty well into my idea. Only problem is the +5 BAB. I'd need to take two levels of that after 5 levels of ranger which is when I want to take master of many forms. This game probably won't last past level 10 so it is more important that I get MoMF ASAP.

Darrin
2014-09-10, 11:58 AM
Hey Folks!
1st Alertness
3rd ?
R3 Endurance
R4 Eyes in the Back of Your Head
6th Strong Stomach

I would recommend against Champion of the Wild. Ranger spellcasting offers way too much flexibility. With a wand of CLW, you can be a backup healer. Battlefield control (entangle, impeding stones) and summoning, instant of power, hunter's eye, swift haste... just too many spells that might wind up saving the party's bacon.

If you really need Eyes in the Back of Your Head, take that at 3rd. Actually, Shape Soulmeld: Threefold Mask of the Chimera is better than Eyes in the Back of Your Head. With EitBoYH, your enemies don't get a flanking bonus but they can still sneak-attack you. With Threefold Mask, no flanking and no sneak attack when flanking. (However, if it's a low-op group, I'm not sure I'd enjoy trying to explain how Incarnum works to them.)

Otherwise, I'd recommend a Devotion of some sort at 3rd. Animal, Strength, Knowledge, or Travel Devotion would all work well... probably leaning toward Animal for flight 1/day.

tricktroller
2014-09-10, 01:49 PM
I'd really like to stay away from devotion feats. My group has seen a lot of use from them in several recent characters and I would rather just not use them. I guess I could keep my spells per day and not get the feat, I was just thinking I don't really need spells and the most I will ever have is a first level spell or two. Wands and scrolls will probably be very very rare in this game so that won't matter much either.

RolandDeschain
2014-09-10, 03:16 PM
Wildshape Ranger is a good idea...you should consider two levels of Warshaper if you can fit it in...

Darrin
2014-09-10, 03:21 PM
I'd really like to stay away from devotion feats. My group has seen a lot of use from them in several recent characters and I would rather just not use them. I guess I could keep my spells per day and not get the feat, I was just thinking I don't really need spells and the most I will ever have is a first level spell or two. Wands and scrolls will probably be very very rare in this game so that won't matter much either.

Aha. Well then, Steadfast Determination (PHBII) at 3rd to dump Wis. Or if you want to focus on Favored Enemy: Arcanists, Improved Favored Enemy (CWar) or Nemesis (BoED). The Blind-Fight/Mage Slayer/Pierce Magical Concealment trio might also be worth considering.

tricktroller
2014-09-10, 03:56 PM
This is a very strange game to be honest. Very few wizards in the world due to guns being readily available. In all honesty this is more of a humanoid on humanoid game from what I can tell, so the mageslayer line will probably be useless. Steadfast determination is a lot more useful than I thought actually. When I take a high con form it will increase my will save so there is that going for me.