PDA

View Full Version : If you got a feat every level, what would could you do?

The Vagabond
2014-09-10, 11:50 AM
This is just me wondering about, I'm just wondering what the folks here could pull off if they got a feat per level, which I would love to see.

Inevitability
2014-09-10, 11:54 AM
Nothing that can't already be done with DCS.

eggynack
2014-09-10, 11:56 AM
I suspect that the difference wouldn't be all that extreme. Most majigs that can be done have a feat saturation point that is less than the number of feats that characters get. With that being said, I'd probably start with either mailman, due to the high number of existing feats along with practical metamagic which can be taken a lot as well, or maybe an AoO tripper build, because there's just a lot you can do along those lines. Also notable are prestige classes with restrictive feat prerequisites, like spelldancer. Those would get quite a bit better, as would feats with a heavy tax.

Rebel7284
2014-09-10, 12:28 PM
You can now play: Wizard 5/Spelldancer 1/Incantatrix 3/IotSV 7/Archmage 3/Loremaster 1?

Edit:
Some other fun prestige classes with a lot of requirements:
Master of Nine
Telflamar Shadowlord
Meditant

StoneCipher
2014-09-10, 12:32 PM
I would think that there would be a possibility of melee actually being able to get some decent functions, and casters would pretty much get diminishing returns on extra feats as compared to melee. Maybe more functionality and survivability but hey after a certain point a Wizard doesn't even need feats, since more feats would be just drowning the cake in icing.

bjoern
2014-09-10, 12:55 PM
I'll second the Mailman idea. With that many feats, you could have arcane thesis in multiple spells. Get practical metamagic multiple times, and a ton of MM feats.
You lay down some insane spells all day long.

Tommy2255
2014-09-10, 01:00 PM
Factotum.

Take Font of Inspiration a bunch as many times as possible (it's limited by your intelligence modifier, but that's going to be high anyway if you're playing a factotum). Cunning Surge all day every day. If you start as something with a racial Int bonus, you can have 20 starting int, 22 by level 8. That lets you take font of inspiration 6 times for 21 bonus inspiration points or 26 total (including the base you get for the class levels). You can use that for half a dozen things, mostly adding int to most checks, but you could just Cunning Surge 8 times in a row every encounter, with a bit of inspiration left over. If you can't figure out how to do something interesting with 8 extra standard actions, then you don't deserve your extra feats. For example, grab a gnome quickrazor and use Iajutsu Focus, slash up anything that annoys you half a dozen times before anyone can blink.

Of course, you *really* don't need more than 8 levels of that, at which point you've only lost 2 BAB, so you could still get 4 iterative by level 20 if you go into a full BAB class from there. Or just stay in Factotum or switch to Chameleon or whatever. All of these are good options.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 01:04 PM
Add me to the list of folks who'd Mailman it up; having a pile of metamagic feats + practical metamagic + arcane thesis would be pretty great.

Sian
2014-09-10, 01:12 PM
Spelldancer 1 on all casters and somehow grabbing access to Immunity towards Fatigue and Ability Damage

nolongerchaos
2014-09-10, 01:16 PM
Feats every would make obnoxious PrC prereqs much less significant. Also feat chains like DMM become much less of a relative investment, as before a cleric would have spent almost half of their feats on it (assuming no cheese), as whereas now they'd have 17-18 more feats over their career. You'd probably also see a fair amount of less used metamagics ("Well I wasn't going to pick up Shape Spell, but I've taken care of the basics and still have 12 feats left, why not?")

Personally I'd probably make a Dread Necromancer. With a feat every level I could both pick up the Corpsecrafting line and some more obscure metamagics for shenanigans that would have otherwise required me to devote most of my feats to.

For example an Illumian Persisting a Fell Frightened Black Lore of Moiled Aura of Terror to Panic anyone who comes within 15 feet and fails their save. Normally I'd be hesitant about spending 4 feats for one spell combo, especially if most of them aren't otherise going to be particularly useful. But now I've got 16 other feats to play with; I could pick up Corpsecrafter and all it's ilk and still have more feats to play with than a regular DN gets over an entire career.

bjoern
2014-09-10, 01:16 PM
Add me to the list of folks who'd Mailman it up; having a pile of metamagic feats + practical metamagic + arcane thesis would be pretty great.

Its making my mouth water.

I feel like yelling "Spaceship!!"

SimonMoon6
2014-09-10, 03:29 PM
I could have 60 extra hit points by level 20! Hooray for Toughness!

dascarletm
2014-09-10, 03:38 PM

Dang it! I was going to make that joke!

Curse you.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 03:48 PM

And then you can gain another 60 over the next two levels thanks to Epic Toughness!

Actually, in this system I probably would use all of my epic feats on Epic Toughness, just to mess with anyone who tried to kill me. I'd eventually have enough that getting hit wouldn't matter.

Tragak
2014-09-10, 03:52 PM
For a mage, I would want to stock up on item creation, metamagic, and Artisan feats to make things like Potions of Extended Haste very easily.

For a swordsman, I would want to get through the Two-Weapon Fighting/Defense chains.

GreatDane
2014-09-10, 04:02 PM

If you're a sorcerer/wizard, take Toughness five times, then Improved Toughness (http://dndtools.eu/feats/monster-manual-iii--76/improved-toughness--1583/) the remaining 15 levels (once your base Fort save hits +2). 315 hit points from feats alone!

Or take your first level in something with a +2 base Fort save and ramp it up to 11 400!

I'll hop on the Mailman truck, or any metamagic build in general; having access to many metamagic feats sounds awesome.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 04:05 PM
If you're a sorcerer/wizard, take Toughness five times, then Improved Toughness (http://dndtools.eu/feats/monster-manual-iii--76/improved-toughness--1583/) the remaining 15 levels (once your base Fort save hits +2). 315 hit points from feats alone!

Or take your first level in something with a +2 base Fort save and ramp it up to 11 400!

I'll hop on the Mailman truck, or any metamagic build in general; having access to many metamagic feats sounds awesome.

Good to know you're joining the postal service :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, Improved Toughness doesn't say anything about whether you can or cannot take it multiple times, so I think that defaults to once-only. Otherwise, I'd definitely pile them on too.

daremetoidareyo
2014-09-10, 04:12 PM
This was my suggested fix for the PHB fighter. Feat per level. And some feats were wrapped together to make them better in general for all classes (precise shot+pointblank shot) (two weaponfighting+two weapon defense) (toughness and toughness +6). (Riding stuff1 + riding stuff 2) It makes fighters super adaptable, it makes fighter a desired dip instead of ridiculous things that wouldn't make sense in terms of fluff.

Rijan_Sai
2014-09-10, 05:20 PM

I got 86!!

Human + 2 Flaws + one feat for Improved Toughness!

I am not the "Great Optimiser" though...I'm sure someone could do better!

Edit: (Sort of) Swordsaged

Although, I agree that IT probably falls under the "once-only" feat policy, as any that are outside of that say so in their "Special" block.
I won't comment on Epic levels, though. At the time of the HP conversation, they were only talking about 1-20.

<_<
>_>
I still win with the "Human + Flaws!"

Techwarrior
2014-09-10, 06:05 PM
I'd make a Two Weapon Fighting/Shield Bashing/Dragonfire Inspiration Bardblade.

sideswipe
2014-09-10, 06:35 PM

or 100 extra skill points!

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 06:51 PM
Actually, I've had a change of heart. I'm now split between an über-Mailman and the DMM cleric to end all DMM clerics:
1st: Twin; DMM: Twin
3rd: Extend
5th: Persist
7th: DMM: Persist
9th: Reach
11th: Ocular
13th: Quicken
15th: DMM: Quicken
17th: Chain
19th: DMM: Chain
Why didn't I list the even-numbered levels? Because at every even-numbered level, I take Extra Turning.
I feel like this is so high in T1 that it becomes a Tier Zero, and breaks the game simply by existing.

ETA: Doing the math now... 10 Extra Turnings, plus a nightstick, and we'll assume 22 Charisma after magic items. That's 50 turn attempts per day. Enough for seven Extended Persisted spells/day, all of them at only one slot higher than normal. Since they last two days each, that means we can have 14 persisted spells at the same time. Or knock that number down to, say, twelve, and have 15 turn attempts left to power Quicken, Chain, and/or Twin.

Garktz
2014-09-10, 07:20 PM
Actually, I've had a change of heart. I'm now split between an über-Mailman and the DMM cleric to end all DMM clerics:
1st: Twin; DMM: Twin
3rd: Persist
5th: DMM: Persist
7th: Extend
9th: Reach
11th: Ocular
13th: Quicken
15th: DMM: Quicken
17th: Chain
19th: DMM: Chain
Why didn't I list the even-numbered levels? Because at every even-numbered level, I take Extra Turning.
I feel like this is so high in T1 that it becomes a Tier Zero, and breaks the game simply by existing.

Then go kelemvor´s doomguide (faerun prc) and get even more extra turning!
Also, no persist before extend ;)

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 07:30 PM
Then go kelemvor´s doomguide (faerun prc) and get even more extra turning!
Also, no persist before extend ;)

That's right, it requires Extend, not just any one metamagic feat. Will edit :smallredface:

The Insaniac
2014-09-10, 10:46 PM
Finally build my totally-not-a-Mongol horsearcher character... with sorcerer... riding my familiar...

Sian
2014-09-11, 01:31 AM
If you have enough feats to get away with it, taking feats for spelldancer and one level of that, and add a spell such as Sheltered Vitality (Spell Compendium) to the mix, you can effectively run a DMM: Persist for what equals 10 turnings per CL, 20 per CL if you Extend the spell first. And as you don't actually need to specify which DMM you take, as soon as you would take two or more its doesn't have a feat tax when hold up against DMM cheese, and you can use your native turnings for something else (Travel devotion anyone?)

NotScaryBats
2014-09-11, 01:56 AM
I would acquire all of the Abyssal Heritor feats, because I enjoy them. They scale off each other, so that would be cool, too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-11, 02:23 AM
The Aberrant feats (http://dndtools.eu/feats/?name=&feat_categories__slug=aberrant&description=&benefit=&special=&normal=&prerequisite=&_filter=Filter) in Lords of Madness can be quite decent if you can afford them. With Warped Mind I'd also throw in Up The Walls and probably a few other psionic feats, depending on the character build.

A Fighter would actually be able to get one of the many weapon style (http://dndtools.eu/feats/?name=&feat_categories__slug=style&description=&benefit=&special=&normal=&prerequisite=&_filter=Filter) feats to come online at a decent level without completely skipping any other feats that would make the character otherwise playable. For example, with Three Mountains you really want TWF, Oversized TWF, ITWF or Gloves of the Balanced Hand, Weapon Specialization: Morningstar, Melee Weapon Mastery (twice if your DM disagrees with the errata), and Ability Focus: Three Mountains. Bonus points if you can manage to include Knock-Down and/or Knock-Back and/or Imperious Command (assuming Zhentarim Soldier) as well.

You could make a Dragonborn Warforged and go Totemist 2/ Psion 3/ Soul Manifester with Adamantine Body, Dragon Tail, Dragon Wings, Jaws of Death, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Practiced Manifester, Improved Dragon Wings, and all the incarnum feats you want.

Spellcasters would get the greatest benefit IMO, as they would just be making an already amazing character even better rather than using it to make a concept actually playable. A Druid could get Greenbound Summoning, Ashbound, Augment Summoning, Natural Bond, Companion Spellbond, and Natural Spell by 6th level. A Wizard or Sorcerer could have tons of metamagic, Easy Metamagic for each of them, Practical Metamagic for each of them, Arcane Thesis a few times, Metamagic School Focus several times, and still have room for plenty of reserve feats, item creation feats, etc.

DeAnno
2014-09-11, 05:07 AM
The sheer amount of luxury one could afford with a feat/level in a Mailman build is staggering. I could have Widen and use it on Acid Rain! I could take Arcane Thesis for Greater Dispel Magic and cast Twinned Chained Greater Dispel on someone and all their items as a 7th level spell. I could play the Fire game and actually have space in my build for Admixture, Searing, and Fiery.

There's so much more too. Residual Magic, Mark of the Dauntless chain or Draconic Reservoir (race dependent), Mindbender dip + Mindsight, DMC Bloodline feat, Reserve Feats, Improved Initiative. There are so many feats I desperately want need that I could get a feat per level and still not have enough.

Remember, if a Mailman could gestalt with absolutely anything, it gestalts with Generic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#warrior) because it wants the feats!

ekans
2014-09-11, 06:03 AM
I feel like the homebrew class that takes this line of thinking to the extreme deserves a mention.

It is also probably my favorite homebrew class, due to how ridiculous it is.

The Bonus Feat
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?335680-The-Bonus-Feat-PEACH-BASE