PDA

View Full Version : Empire! The Pink Tide Festival, 446

lt_murgen
2014-09-10, 12:55 PM
Once roughly every 100 years, a rare event occurs in the Jeweled Cities. The twin moons of Telluris appear in the sky very close to one another and shine very brightly. This triggers a bloom of a special kind of plankton, which fill the warm shallows. At night, the plankton glow with a gentle pink light, tumbling and rolling with the waves. It is a harmless, beautiful sight. Local customs say it is an excellent time for romance to bloom as well- for both the young and for relationships in need of renewal.

AQUA has invited all the leaders of Telluris and their families to come for a vacation to the Islands for that week. It will be a chance to relax, to reconnect with friends, and to enjoy themselves. There are numerous private lodges and bungalows scattered around the islands, so the vacation can be as public or private as they desire. Catamarans and dugouts will be at their disposal to convey them to any location they desire.

The AQUA leadership promises daily tours and events for the entire family to enjoy. They include kid-friendly sea turtle encounters, magic shows, and animal sightseeing tours. For the young adults there will be music and dancing in multiple throughout the day and into the evening. The more adventurous can try Jielf on several courses, multiple free-running paths through the hills and mangroves, and guided reef diving. Deep see fishing for shark and marlin and tours of the volcanic outlfows of the Old Man Island are available as well.

Lord_Burch
2014-09-10, 06:29 PM
Odd, do you not think, that these moons of ours move so strangely? Even with the assistance of our marvelous looking glasses, I cannot make heads nor tails of their cycles, spoke a red-haired man with pale, borderline deathly skin, but with bright, inquisitive green eyes.
You and the skies, Jason. You practically begged me to let you join me here, just for the moons., smirked a twenty-something woman with black hair and an olive skin tone.
Aw, you wouldn't have wanted to come without me, Cass. You know, I heard from one of the crewman-
Enough, Jason. sternly spoke a matronly woman with steely gray hair- Councilwoman Bernadette Gaspard, the replacement for Giroux.Cassandra is enough trouble without you and your stories fanning the flames. And as for you, Cassandra, rounding on her. Stay out of trouble. You have all of the temper of your namesake, and the same amount of common sense. I have my own meetings to attend to.
Hey, I'm an adult now, and a Princess besides! You can't control me! , she shot back heatedly.
By the law, yes, but not by me and certainly not by the Dauphin or by the Lady.
Cass turns around and storms off, too angry to refute those two- probably true- statements. Jason sighs and hurries after her, while Gaspard sniffs and walks away, accompanied by a single guard. The other follows discretely behind Jason, clad in a civilian military uniform, but with a sword at his waist.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-10, 08:51 PM
Jabari Ignafar looked around at the beautiful island flora and fauna from atop a large rock he had just climbed. His eyes also wandered over and appreciated the beautiful native women who wore just about the right amount of clothes in his humble opinion. If one was going to wearing clothes anyway. He himself was dressed in a very Islander fashion, the trends having taken hold in Emerald City where he spent most of his time and his parentage affording him the funds to stay in touch with the latest fashions. His golden-bronze skin, shimmering with a metallic sheen and his slightly pointed ears marked the fae heritage of his father and the dark eyes and sharp facial features accentuated his Woodwind heritage.

"I bet every other couple on the islands is probably on their way to the Pink Tide shore to get a good spot before dusk but not us, no we gotta go play Jielf with all your stupid friends," a voice came from behind Jabari and he turned around.

"First off, we ain't no couple, just cause our parents want us to be don't make it so, and second no one said you had to come Myra," she'd been complaining all day but hadn't left despite his best efforts to get her to realize that mistake.

"Oh drop the pirate speech Jaba, just because we're on the islands and you're in that silly getup doesn't make you Pirate King Grumby."

The girl, a pretty Alorese native and the granddaughter of former Speaker Aluic Shaeldtae was looking quite crossly at her companion. She was dressed in a more Alorese fashion, though even in her more southerly-styled clothes Islander heritage bled in. She was preparing to launch into another complaint and point against the Woodwind boy when a voice interrupted her.

"Jaba! You made it!" another young man was racing up to Jabari from the other side of the rock from Myra.

He was dressed in the simple style of the Hrathanese and his darker skin and light hair spoke to a Tuorkey origin.

"Manni!" Jabari shouted back, hoping down from the rock.

As the two young men greeted one another with arm grasps and playful rough housing Myra came out from behind the rock and cleared her throat.

"Oh, uh, Manni, this here's Myra Shaeldtae, her grandpappy was the big Speaker years back and her pa stuck her with me to watch over. Myra, this here's Manni Kethmik, his ma's-"

"The Guildmaster for the Old Guild in Hrathan," Myra finished, her face twisting up in a mixed look of concern and discomfort.

Manni looked a little ashamed and tried a smile to lighten things but before he could speak Jabari was already clapping a hand on his back.

"Hey don't mind her, let's go Jielf!"

With one last look of apology Manni followed his friend off to the Jielf courts leaving Myra behind.

"Typical boys," Myra said with a huff, choosing not to follow them to the courts and instead make her way to one of the parties on the beach hoping she might find someone with a little more finesse among the other visitors to the island.

***********Elsewhere***********

A small, inconspicuous to an untrained or unknowing eye party of older men and women moved through the crowd of people on the Islands. Two women and one man, all three in their fifties stayed close together while a few other, younger members of their party fanned out through the crowd, seeming to enjoy the revelry of the occasion. They were dressed in Triumviral style and their features would not be amiss in a Senate meeting but the only truly distinguishable characteristic among them was the man's odd choice in companion, an Ayavan cave cat draped over his neck.

The woman who seemed to be in charge, Tuorkey if they were indeed all Triumviral, approached a porter and whispered something.

"Might we speak with the head of FATS and associates? I come as representative of the Triumviral Guilds."

Jabari Ignafar (m) - 21 year old Senator's grandson from Woodwind. Half Nyroth faefolk, half Woodwind

Myra Shaeldtae (f) - 17 year old daughter of Triumvrial Reserve Minister Malyn Shaeldtae and granddaughter of former Speaker Aluic Shaeldtae. Alorese.

Manni Kethmik (m) - 18 year old son of Guildmaster Bil Kethmik of Hrathan-Tuor

Guildmaster Thu Jaranda (f) - 44 year old Guildmaster out of Woodwind.

Guildmaster Jengo Murumbi (m) - 53 year old Guildmaster out of Genivana

Guildmaster Bil Kethmik (f) - 55 year old Guildmaster out of Hrathan-Tuor

Aedilred
2014-09-10, 10:57 PM
Only a few years previously, the Carmine delegation might have been regarded as an invasion force. Three ships had made the journey, ensigns and bright flags fluttering in the wind, but for the first time in two generations, this was an official diplomatic visit. Although two of the ships were over fifty years old, they looked good, newly renovated, and their hulls caulked with kelp-olive oil, while the names of the three vessels gleamed as if newly-painted: Queen Amber, Jonas Rex, Summers' End.

While the royal family were proud of their islander heritage, most of them had never set foot on the islands. Others were returning home after a long absence. On the flagship were the twin children of Amber Grant, Tempest and Jonas, now very advanced in years, together with Tempest's sons and grandson. The king stepped off the Jonas Rex when it docked, along with his Eyrecradian wife and his twin sons, clad for once in silk to take account of the warmer climate, rather than heavy wools and furs. The two boys stared about them in wonder at the colourful landscape, and the king raised an eyebrow as if to say "so this is what all the fuss was about."

From the Summers' End stepped the captain, Jogay, a tall and striking man with some of the angular features of a Jarrlander, but a strong chest, webbed fingers, and casual good looks common to Tangarotha, a large two-handed sword strapped across his back. He was met on the dock by an islander woman of apparently similar age, to whom he gave a knowing wink, then fished a ruby the size of a boy's fist out of a pocket and tossed it to her by way of greeting.

King Alfmark, 50
Melhib Benxia, his wife
Alfwyn and Alfmyr, their twin sons, 16 (unmarried)
Queen Tempest and her twin Jonas, 80.
Atheldynn, Tempest's elder son, 53
Adrianna, his wife, 54
Elwyr, her younger son, 45 (unmarried)
Athelwyr, Atheldynn's son, 21
Seirwynn, Atheldynn's cousin, 35 (unmarried, under close supervision)
Lyra Shaeldtae, his wife, 18
Jodoc, Aotrou a Kriestiez (goblin)
Aikaterina, Ireiarchon Teinanaxe, 21
Captain Jogay Morris (41) and his crew

lt_murgen
2014-09-11, 11:56 AM
The woman who seemed to be in charge, Tuorkey if they were indeed all Triumviral, approached a porter and whispered something.

"Might we speak with the head of FATS and associates? I come as representative of the Triumviral Guilds."

The porter looked carefully at the group. They could see the calculation in the young man's eyes. "Yes, you will be wanting passage into the City of Pearl, then?" He said brightly and loudly. "Dock 16 has a coaster by the name of 'Setting Duck'. Captain Vug is making twice daily trips in to Pearl. For free, of course." With a lower voice he added, "The captain can handle any special requests you need."

The king stepped off the Jonas Rex when it docked, along with his Eyrecradian wife and his twin sons, clad for once in silk to take account of the warmer climate, rather than heavy wools and furs. The two boys stared about them in wonder at the colourful landscape, and the king raised an eyebrow as if to say "so this is what all the fuss was about."

"Greetings, Jarrow!" A loud vocie boomed from across the dock. A tall older man of mixed Islander descent smiled and waved. With him was a woman, clearly of Raanekan descent and striking for her late middle age. Hanging back was a man bearing features of both parents, but with a pale complexion and sullen demeanor.
The man spotted the Dowager Queen and her brother working their way down the ramp. "Cousins!" He yelled and rushed over to them.

OOC: This is Tarn Grant-Tremblor Adite, Dame Dusari Adite, and their son. Also known as the Raanekan branch of the family.

The Grant Compound was one of the largest structures built when the capital of Pearl was reconstructed. It was done partly as a peace offering, partly as a needed defense structure. It sat on a point that stuck out into the main deep sea channel into Pearl and welcomed visiting ships with graceful melding of a half-dozen architectural styles. It looked flowing an elegant, but the outer façade was supported by strong inner walls and excellent lines of sight for the heavy artillery concealed about the grounds.

http://www.weddingsonthefrenchriviera.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/imagechateau_new.jpg

Cousins of the Grant family were welcome to stay there. Cousins, in the islander term, meaning those connected by blood or by the trials of life. A good portion of the family were already gathered there.

Martin Grant-Tremblor, his wife Yvinia, and their two adopted sons Maximillian and Gilligan, were present. Their eldest daughter, Ginger, stopped by daily. Often, she had her husband, the Skipper-General Andust Fitzrion, in tow. She was determined that he have fun for a change. Her parents doted on her, even more so when she told them she was pregnant with their first grandchild!

Hawkeye Grumby, his wife Doris Robson, and their three children occupied another suite. Hawkeye was an old, old friend from a line of old friends, stretching back to the original Skipper and his pal the Professor. John Francis Xavier, Margaret Jane, and Henry Braymore

Tumberink Grumby and his wife Huang Pei-Mei had their flagship “Sister Wind” moored nearby. Tumberink was a Senior councilmember, so he was busy meeting with other dignitaries. But Pei-Mei was as determined as Ginger that her husband relax and have fun. Their three children were Phillip, Dominique, and Emmanuel.

Lord_Burch
2014-09-11, 05:29 PM
Councillor
Striding purposefully up to the docks, Gaspard surveys them with an air of authority. Happening to see a young dockworker loitering nearby, she walks up to him, "I require passage to Pearl City, on urgent business to speak with the leaders of AQUA and Celero, if possible, on urgent business from the Silver Moon* Find me a ship to get there- there'll be a half-moon** in it for you. Tell the captain I can pay, if necessary.

*Official short name of the state formerly known as the Bordeux Concordant.
**The "moon" is a denomination of Silver Moon* coin- cast in silver, with an eagle on the front, and smooth on the back.
*It feels really weird to say this, now. I may yet revert back to saying "Bordeusi".

Cassandra
Finding Cass standing at the edge of the beach, staring out into the sea, Jason slips an arm around her shoulder.
C'mon, Cass. You always wanted to visit the islands, didn't you? Always wanted the freedom they offered. Well, you're here! Why sit here and stare?
I... I don't know, really. I've always been confined by the court- one misstep and I'd ruin everything. Hell, Grandmother drilled that into my head often enough.
And no one's watching you know. C'mon, I've heard they've got great parties here...
As he leads her off, he glances up and sees the Alorese. His face briefly tightens into one of distaste, before assuming one of careful detachment.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-11, 10:45 PM
The porter looked carefully at the group. They could see the calculation in the young man's eyes. "Yes, you will be wanting passage into the City of Pearl, then?" He said brightly and loudly. "Dock 16 has a coaster by the name of 'Setting Duck'. Captain Vug is making twice daily trips in to Pearl. For free, of course." With a lower voice he added, "The captain can handle any special requests you need."

"Many tanks and much obliged yung mon," the man with the Cave Cat answered.

The trio made their way towards the docks to find the 'Setting Duck' and the woman who had not yet spoken finally voiced herself.

"They're sure to know about it, they're the plum explorers found the place, Vug's probably the damn ringleader, wasting time like this when we should be burning shipments and sending messages is why this deal was a bad idea from the start."

"Hold your tongue, FATS has worked right with us for right at 15 years, you don't burn something like that over mystery shipments."

"I ain't seen Pei Mei at da Emerald since dey stahted shippin in, but I'm sure big momma FATS knows and she a smart mom, she knows we need ta talk."

The short conversation seemed to quiet the discontent and the three made their way to the docks, finding the designated ship and boarding it, asking one of the crew for an audience with the captain. Shale likely would recognize them from dealings over the years.

Cassandra
Finding Cass standing at the edge of the beach, staring out into the sea, Jason slips an arm around her shoulder.
C'mon, Cass. You always wanted to visit the islands, didn't you? Always wanted the freedom they offered. Well, you're here! Why sit here and stare?
I... I don't know, really. I've always been confined by the court- one misstep and I'd ruin everything. Hell, Grandmother drilled that into my head often enough.
And no one's watching you know. C'mon, I've heard they've got great parties here...
As he leads her off, he glances up and sees the Alorese. His face briefly tightens into one of distaste, before assuming one of careful detachment.

Myra noticed a young couple on the beach, dressed in finery, foreign nobles probably. They were making their way by her and she raised a hand in greeting,

"My Lord, My Lady, begging your pardon, but might either of you know where the festivities are centered? My date ran off to play Jielf and I was told this beach was set to be a party but it seems rather barren," she smiled, hoping not to offend, having missed the look of distaste earlier.

Aedilred
2014-09-11, 11:21 PM
"Greetings, Jarrow!" A loud vocie boomed from across the dock. A tall older man of mixed Islander descent smiled and waved. With him was a woman, clearly of Raanekan descent and striking for her late middle age. Hanging back was a man bearing features of both parents, but with a pale complexion and sullen demeanor.
The man spotted the Dowager Queen and her brother working their way down the ramp. "Cousins!" He yelled and rushed over to them.

OOC: This is Tarn Grant-Tremblor Adite, Dame Dusari Adite, and their son. Also known as the Raanekan branch of the family.

"Tarn! It's been too long!" Atheldynn walked over to give him a hug, followed rather more slowly by the rest of the family. Tempest was leaning on her younger son: while Jonas had needed a cane for over sixty years, it was unclear whether his sister actually needed the support, or if it was just overprotection by her son - or a desire to lull observers into a false sense of security.

"They've done the place up a bit, at least," she muttered. "It was still a floating junkyard last time I was here."

Atheldynn continued talking to his cousin, ignoring her for the moment. "This is the problem with the Games no longer being in Raaneka: we don't have the excuse to come and visit even every now and again any more. How is Amber? Anguryn writes occasionally and seems to be enjoying herself." He eventually yielded to Tempest's prodding and stood aside so she could greet her cousin properly.

Amber is Tarn and Dusari's daughter, who was - although we didn't get the chance to do anything with it - in the very early stages of a relationship with her cousin Anguryn (one of mine) at around the time Zap left - so I guess 25 years IC (time goes quickly!)

lt_murgen
2014-09-12, 08:08 AM
"I require passage to Pearl City, on urgent business to speak with the leaders of AQUA and Celero, if possible, on urgent business from the Silver Moon* Find me a ship to get there- there'll be a half-moon** in it for you. Tell the captain I can pay, if necessary.

A young man wearing a hat festooned with blue feathers* eargerly replies, "OF course sir! No problems, sir! There are catamarans and coasters leaving on a regular basis to move our honored guests between islands. No payment is required. Catamarans are smaller, so they can only take 6 to 8 passengers. But they are faster, since they can travel through the shoals. Coasters take roughly two hours longer, as they are confined to the deep channels.

May I inquire how many will be travelling with you?"

The short conversation seemed to quiet the discontent and the three made their way to the docks, finding the designated ship and boarding it, asking one of the crew for an audience with the captain. Shale likely would recognize them from dealings over the years.

Sure enough, Shale joined them in a quiet cabin as soon as the rowing tug cast off its line and the sails were unfurled. He carried some kind of sea bird with him, setting it carefully on a stand near the door.

He nodded to each, "Welcome. We'll be in Pearl in about three hours. The wind is keeping us to the deep channel, so we have to take the long way." He sat down and poured himself a drink from a pitcher on the table, indicating for them to help themselves. "It must be serious for you to come all this way. I'll send a note ahead" he said, pointing to the bird, "but I need to tell them how pissed off you are, and why."

"Atheldynn continued talking to his cousin, ignoring her for the moment. "This is the problem with the Games no longer being in Raaneka: we don't have the excuse to come and visit even every now and again any more. How is Amber? Anguryn writes occasionally and seems to be enjoying herself." He eventually yielded to Tempest's prodding and stood aside so she could greet her cousin properly.

Amber is Tarn and Dusari's daughter, who was - although we didn't get the chance to do anything with it - in the very early stages of a relationship with her cousin Anguryn (one of mine) at around the time Zap left - so I guess 25 years IC (time goes quickly!)

You don't know when she was born, do you? I did invent a son as well, so I am trying to reconcile relative ages. I also assume the girls are in a stable, adult relationship?

"The pair of them seem quite happy and inseperable. It's like having another daughter!" He smiles. His wife Yvinia gives a slight smile as well, but there is a certain wistfulness in it. "They wanted to be here, but Amber is a major financier of berunda ranchers, and its whelping season. She just couldn't leave."

Meanwhile, the sullen young man stepped up to give Tempest a perfunctory kiss. "Auntie. You really should tour the new city. They incorporated so many new techniques. see that windmill across the channel? It pumps..." [/COLOR] Off he went, describing the clockworks and pumps, channels and flow directions, and so on, long after Tempest's eyes glazed over. She knew Tarn's son by reputation. He spent most of his time in research and study of a wide variety of subjects, but seldom was seen in the Raanekan court.

Elemental
2014-09-12, 11:00 AM
If the observations of the people on shore were correct, it appeared that the King of Ashenia had succumbed to international pressures and gotten a ship, and it appeared that he had spared no expense for its construction. The sails were of gleaming white and deep scarlet with the main sail bearing the coat of arms of Ashenia, the hull decorated with gilding and painted designs and the figurehead a finely carved rendition of a rearing horse in solid teak. Of course, the sailors were all Cree with a few Celerese here and there. Ashenites were land people, they weren't foolish enough to try and manage a ship.
As such, the ship moored safely with the finely dressed Ashenites and their guards standing respectfully out of the way. Zhela Toranath, a tall middle aged woman dressed in a robe of brown and white silk as well as three younger women in fine dresses and a fifth woman wearing a grey dress and hooded cloak of the same material to obscure her features descended from the ship as gracefully as they could manage. The half dozen guards that followed them managed to do a much better job of it and they weren't even trying.
Flanked by their guards, they started to make their way to the Grant Compound in the hopes of finding the Skipper-General there so that they could properly pay their respects. As they did, Zhela took the opportunity to reiterate on a previous "discussion" she had had with the princesses.
"Remember girls, this trip might be for fun and as a chance for the three of you to get away from court, maybe meet a nice young man. But you'd better be careful how you meet said nice young man. Get up to anything you shouldn't, and I swear by the spirits I'll marry you to the lucky fellow so you can have the pleasant experience of introducing your grandfather to his new grandson-in-law."
"We've gone over this a dozen times already Aunt Zhela. We're grown women, we don't need a chaperone."
"If you say so Adrianna. But remember, you have two nations watching to see who you marry. Don't stuff this up."
"Not to worry Aunty. I have no intention of falling for some handsome island boy. Though, that one over there is particularly handsome..."
At this, the three girls laughed and Zhela rolled her eyes in mock resignation.
"I swear, when I left Ashenia all those years ago, you three were perfect little darlings. And I'm sure I used to be fun. Where does the time go?"

-Zhela Toranath
-The unidentified individual
-Princess Ambryn (19)
-Princess Salline (18)
-Princess Adrianna (18)

lt_murgen
2014-09-12, 01:11 PM
At this, the three girls laughed and Zhela rolled her eyes in mock resignation.
"I swear, when I left Ashenia all those years ago, you three were perfect little darlings. And I'm sure I used to be fun. Where does the time go?"

The group was ushered to a portico overlooking the harbor. A group of men were hitting Jielf balls out into the bay, while a group of women lounged nearby. A few were donning their vests as the Ashenian delegation stepped out into the sun.

Andus himself greeted them. He was a handsome man, distractingly so. After making a passable attempt at a formal Ashenian greeting, he broke into a smile. “Greetings! I am honored you chose to attend our inconsequential festival.” He gave each of the girls a devastating smile. “My porters tell me you came here directly. Thank you. But please do not stand on formality. Our hope is for you to find some bliss for a time. We have ample accommodations for your party. What is your desire? Food, music, dacing? Perhaps only a chance to lie in the sun undisturbed for a time?”

But before the girls could answer, a racket distracted the group. A half dozen toy balls, oranges, and a couple of belaying pins come clattering down a nearby ramp from above, followed by a man in his early twenties. Several younger children clung to his arms, legs, and his bare chest and back.

“Gilligan! We have guests.” A half-Quill half-Islander man scolded.

“Dear, he was entertaining his cousins.” A beautiful Guilderene woman said from her lounger.

“I’m sorry, dad, but I was juggling for them when they decided to play “climb the mast” with me as the ship.” The young man replied. He shook off a few of the younger ones, pointing to the lost juggling balls. He shot them a severe look when they complained, and they scurried about collecting the objects as he quickly donned a proper vest. Too slow, however, for the girls not to get a good look at him. He was tall and lean, with bronze skin and piercing green eyes. His dark hair was done in tight braids, and streaked with red and purple. Along the right side of his face was a tattoo similar to his fathers, and across his broad, muscular chest were patterns of green and white lines and dots.

“Well, round them up and take them back to the gardens! I’ve got money on the longest drive here!” A slightly older man replied. It was clear the two were brothers, almost identical images of each other.

Andus Fitzrion, Skipper General of AQUA, and his wife Ginger. Ginger one of three children adopted by Martin Grant-Tremblor.
Martin Grant-Tremblor, governor of the Salterri colony of Neimedland. Half Islander, half Quill; and his wife, Princess Yvinia of Guilder.
Martin’s other sons, Maximillian and Gilligan. All three children are from Tzaltec lands.

Oh, and here is Andus in his informal outfit, so you understand when I say he is distractingly handsome
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/10/05/1226159/149123-111008-putt.jpg

DurkBlanston
2014-09-12, 01:47 PM
The Caercian delegation was relatively small, with one war picking up and another still being settled fully along with the multitude of appointments being made over provincial councils and Protectorships many of the prominent members were stuck still at the homefront and only those with little obligation had had the freedom to take a Sterk ship to the Jeweled Cities of AQUA, a potential neighbor in the nearing future, to begin to develop relationships.

The ship was rather barebones in accompaniment, the Sterk sailors being most prominent followed by the Pavonian mercenary recruits who had been assigned guard duty and the small bunch of Caercia young adults who were coming to act as ambassadors, unaccompanied by any Caercian Councilors owing to the business on the homefront and the relatively light weight of the Festival they were attending.

The ship docked and the guests discharged themselves to join the festivities, splitting into two groups, the first composed of the relatives of the Caercian branch out of Sterkelv and the second of those of Wyrmarian origin.

Octavio Caercia, Heir-Protector of Sterkelv, 24 (unmarried)
Brutus Caercia, Heir-Protector of Wyrmar, 16 (unmarried)
Rosa Caercia, First daughter of the Protector of Sterkelv, 13 (unmarried)
Claudia Caercia, first daughter of the Protector of Wyrmar, 20 (unmarried, formerly betrothed to Marevain Earthguard)
Astrid Gundarsan, niece of the Protector of Sterkelv, 23 (unmarried)

I don't think I'm likely to spend an action on attendance this round but I'll probably attend something next round, I say that because I was wondering if you might want to set up either some trades or marriages with the Bloomenwald Isles being right next to Bjurnja meaning we're soon to be neighbors and all and I like what you've come up with that I've read. (Plus it seems in style to have some Islander floating around in your royal tree so I don't want to get left out of the trend :smallwink:)

I also had some ideas about the Bloomenwald that I wouldn't mind talking to you about too.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-12, 02:55 PM
Sure enough, Shale joined them in a quiet cabin as soon as the rowing tug cast off its line and the sails were unfurled. He carried some kind of sea bird with him, setting it carefully on a stand near the door.

He nodded to each, "Welcome. We'll be in Pearl in about three hours. The wind is keeping us to the deep channel, so we have to take the long way." He sat down and poured himself a drink from a pitcher on the table, indicating for them to help themselves. "It must be serious for you to come all this way. I'll send a note ahead" he said, pointing to the bird, "but I need to tell them how pissed off you are, and why."

"This," Guildmaster Kethmik said, drawing a small vial from a pouch at her hip, "Is the point of our concern."

The vial was filled with a thick purple liquid that clung to the sides as the Guildmaster gave it a shake and sloshed its contents.

"We've heard it called Grape Lotus Syrup and it seems to be growing popular as a vice, but no Guildman is selling it and from what we've gathered its origin is that of the latest discovery of AQUA. We wanted to speak with our friends and allies about where exactly its coming from, and what exactly it is."

"We ain't got no problems wit people takin dey medicine how dey sees fit to take it, but we be writin da prescriptions ey mon?" Jengo added.

"And yes, we wished to ensure future shipments of the Syrup come through Guild avenues as is customary," Bil nodded her head in agreement with Jengo's statement.

Reggiejam
2014-09-12, 08:52 PM
Loris arrived on the Islands alone, or, as alone as royalty could arrive. No other notable members of the Varinel family or the other nobles or aristocracy had joined her on her trip, not even her sister Kyria who was still preparing intensely for the Battle of Wits over Sanctuary. Loris should have been doing the same, some would say, to which Loris would reply that she was doing just that. The Battle tested a potential heir on every aspect of rulership and faith was a keystone and while she may have known the Faith of the Mother better than her sister she did not herself feel that simply being more adept than her sister would secure her victory in the Battle, itself designed to ensure a high minimum level in all categories was assured.

After a long trip overland and a much shorter sailing on a Celerese ship that had been docked in Woodwind's Emerald City during which she had spoken to the diverse Radurjic and Children crew on matters of faith she eventually arrived on the islands and made landfall to much relief. Being landlocked certainly limited one's "sea-legs" as they were called.

Walking among the Islands she had enjoyed the salty, sunny, tropical freedom, a far cry from the extreme climates of the surfaces of Faedas and the dim glow of the under-realms. But she did not dally long. After a while of quiet enjoyment and reflection she approached a porter.

"Might you know where I can find the Eldest Child Linden Flint?"

Rain Dragon
2014-09-13, 12:02 AM
Why?

Apiskaupus Thuidans gently ran a claw through the water. Myriad small scales on his torso dimly reflected the starlight.

If any were to tell me my entire world would be instantly unrecognizable upon meeting a Haljan female, I would think them rather... crazy, for lack of a better word.

Though in truth his worries were much larger than just one Haljan. Aipiskaupus did not think of the unrest in Halja, the change of leadership or even the western lands where he had spent much of his time recently. Much could be said for working through one's problems one at a time, yet no matter how many solutions he would find for the first issue he wished to tackle, it would not leave his mind. Aipiskaupus almost hadn't noticed the waves slowly tugging his shirt and waistcoat further out to sea. With one pincer he tossed them inland, though it was far too late to keep them from getting wet to begin with.

"Are you not intending on assisting with these formalities?" Ainiveous smiled wryly at the Haljan as he placed the signed Peace Pact documents into a satchel.
"How I did not notice you there, I shall never know. No, though it is one of my final acts as Kaiser, let it instead be one of the first things my Uncle officially handles. His inexperience should amuse you, I would expect."
Ainiveous did not seem amused, though it was nigh impossible to tell with the Orthyknin.
"A question, High Prince, if I may."
"Of course. Though, such formalities are unnecessary as I am simply in charge of my people whereas you are Head of the Council for the Province of Halja. Well, after you officially step down. Kaiser."
Aipiskaupus clickes his pincers a few times before raising an antennae slightly at Ainiveous.
"How do you deal with change?"
For the first time that Aipiskaupus could remember, a brief hint of emotion showed on Ainiveous' face.
"For the Orthyknin, no matter how much changes around us we never truly have to deal with great change, for we ourselves never will change much."

With that, he left the Haljan alone on the beach.

((OOC - Aiskaupus' airship is nearby and safely tied down. Its small crew are, um... somewhere.))

EDIT - Initial post was from a mobile device. Fixed numerous issues.

((OOC note - Aipiskaupus is wearing a leather belt with belt pouch.))

lt_murgen
2014-09-13, 08:54 AM
"And yes, we wished to ensure future shipments of the Syrup come through Guild avenues as is customary," Bil nodded her head in agreement with Jengo's statement.

Shale took the vial, opened it gingerly and stuck in the tip of his pinkie. He tasted the single drop he extracted, then quicky spit it out and took a huge drink, to rinse out his mouth.

"Grape Lotus. No doubt." He replied grimly. He quickly wrote out a note and attached it to the bird, sending it on its way.

"We have nothing to do with it. This stuff makes sominorum look like coffee." He said grimly. He went on to recount the tale of the "Child of Fortune" and how it lost crew to that narcotic. "It took 6 months for the crew they recovered to break the addiction. We have been pushing to interdict the entire chain. The Skipper finally ordered a small fleet built for that, but it won't be ready for another few years."
He seemed angry. "I've called a meeting. We need to talk."

"Might you know where I can find the Eldest Child Linden Flint?"

A middle aged woman wearing a bright blue feathered hat (and little else, to Lois' eye) directed her to specific location on the Isle of Birds, another short voyage across the archipelao. The sea was much less disturbed as the catamaran crossed the sparkling blue shallows. It was even beautiful with the many shoals of coral and tropical fish.

The Isle of Birds was, as she recalled, controlled by the religious aspects of AQUA culture. It was a heavily forested island full of songbirds and seabirds. The Isle of Amber was a small port on the rocky shores, and it was a quick uphill walk to the home she sought.

It was a small sanctuary and lodge for the Children of Kina. It's interior court featured a large statue of the Goddess. People of many nationalities were present. All defined by the simple weighted scarf wound about one wrist. There, she found Linden Flint.

Linden was bedridden. His face was pale and he had sunken features. Still, he was awake and alert. He greeted her by name and title, and then spoke warmly, "My cousin in faith. How good it is to see you. I have long desired to meet such a devout Child."

QuintonBeck
2014-09-13, 12:48 PM
Shale took the vial, opened it gingerly and stuck in the tip of his pinkie. He tasted the single drop he extracted, then quicky spit it out and took a huge drink, to rinse out his mouth.

"Grape Lotus. No doubt." He replied grimly. He quickly wrote out a note and attached it to the bird, sending it on its way.

"We have nothing to do with it. This stuff makes sominorum look like coffee." He said grimly. He went on to recount the tale of the "Child of Fortune" and how it lost crew to that narcotic. "It took 6 months for the crew they recovered to break the addiction. We have been pushing to interdict the entire chain. The Skipper finally ordered a small fleet built for that, but it won't be ready for another few years."
He seemed angry. "I've called a meeting. We need to talk."

"I told you this stuff was dangerous," Thu said quietly.

"Damn mon, dat sounds to be mighty powerful juice," Jengo said, eying the vial with wary interest.

"This certainly seems dangerous. I have connections with the Council and Jengo has his fleet, we would be happy to assist you with any sort of interdiction."

How are things going with the New Federation thing?

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-14, 10:22 AM
Now.

At the declaration of this word the Nix'darum rose from the sea, stoic and in formation, waiting for further orders.

It is time to speak with our neighbors; we have much to discuss.

The march of footsteps in unison could be heard from far of the coast, but no one knew why.

The'ye going to look around a bit, maybe make some friends, maybe not.

keeping it short, I want to leave somethings open.

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-14, 11:29 AM
A short distance further down the beach from where the Nixdarum had arisen, a trio of figures spot them. A massive booming voice calls out "Halt! Who goes there?"

A booming reply echoed up towards the trio,

"We are the Nix'darum! We wish to converse with your leaders!"

A fanfare begins to play, a national anthem perhaps? Its song seems completely vocal, strange.

lt_murgen
2014-09-14, 05:40 PM
"This certainly seems dangerous. I have connections with the Council and Jengo has his fleet, we would be happy to assist you with any sort of interdiction."

How are things going with the New Federation thing?

Shug remained non-committal until they reached Pearl. He pulled his ship alongside the "Sister Wind" and all the concerned parties were in Huang Pei-Mei's cabin. Most of the senior pirates of FATS were present, but it was she who spoke.

"First, please understand that we value our working relationship with your guilds. In the last decade and a half, we all have profited greatly." She bowed slightly to Jengo. "If I have been inattentive to any issues between our groups, I apologize. I will strive to do better." She turned more business-like. She held up the via "The grape-lotus is a powerful narcotic. If one was to consume this entire vial in one sitting, their mind would never recover. We want to keep it contained. But your presence confirms what we feared. Someone else is attempting to spread it."

"We will step up our efforts to keep ships from the shores of the Bloomewald. But we need help tracking the source."

We are crashing and burning on the Federation. Can't find a third. Trying to work with Morph on a couple of other ideas, though."

"Stay right there!" calls back the largest of the figures. "Gripsqueak, go and inform the Duke that there are... somethings here to see him."

The smallest of the three figures dashes off down the beach.

Word spread quickly that some strange creatures were coming out of the water. Luckily, John LaFitte, a senior couniclmember, happened to be nearby, and sprinted over to see what was all the fuss.

When he saw the creatures, he called to a porter, "Have the Deep Horn sounded. I want Gonzo and Snuggles over here as quickly as they can swim."

He approached the creatures, arm out to one side, "Greetings, sentient beings! I am called John. I am one of the leaders of this land."

QuintonBeck
2014-09-14, 06:48 PM
Shug remained non-committal until they reached Pearl. He pulled his ship alongside the "Sister Wind" and all the concerned parties were in Huang Pei-Mei's cabin. Most of the senior pirates of FATS were present, but it was she who spoke.

"First, please understand that we value our working relationship with your guilds. In the last decade and a half, we all have profited greatly." She bowed slightly to Jengo. "If I have been inattentive to any issues between our groups, I apologize. I will strive to do better." She turned more business-like. She held up the via "The grape-lotus is a powerful narcotic. If one was to consume this entire vial in one sitting, their mind would never recover. We want to keep it contained. But your presence confirms what we feared. Someone else is attempting to spread it."

"We will step up our efforts to keep ships from the shores of the Bloomewald. But we need help tracking the source."

We are crashing and burning on the Federation. Can't find a third. Trying to work with Morph on a couple of other ideas, though."

"Well met again Admiral," Bil inclined her head.

"Me an my boys ain't much for trackin but I know da Old Guild got its ways."

"Indeed that's true," Thu said quietly, "The Network can find most anything, but we have no agents on or near Bloomenwald and they couldn't find the origin of this when they first looked, it's why we came to you."

"Do you have any idea who might be trying to run it under us both like this? Any leads to follow up on? The Guilds are of course happy to help our friends, but as Master Thu said, we've been unable to track it on our own."

Well, that sucks. As offered before, the "minor state" offer still stands. I've given it some more thought and I was thinking if you did want to join it wouldn't have to be so much a "joining" as a formation of a sort of additional Confederation within/over the Triumvirate. I Democratic Coalition of Free States type deal where the Triumvirate remains the Triumvirate and Celero and AQUA remain Celero and AQUA but mechanically we'd get the bonuses of a united Federation. Essentially it would establish what the 1st Int'l Council was sort of looking to accomplish on a smaller scale and the fluff for it as a federation wouldn't be the same as the Triumvirate is as a federation.

After all, when the Triumvirate started out it was more of a Confederation moved to Federation by zab, Imp, and I deciding we wanted it to and using Zhuang to accomplish that but signing additional allies into a NATO type Federation that was based out of the Triumvirate's structure but was itself an evolution/mutation would be kinda cool. Obviously we'd be keeping hands to ourselves on all counts except where discussed and agreed to.

That's assuming your talks with Morph don't conclude in a positive way. My thing is simply knowledge that the Triumvirate is finished expanding through conquest and wanting to spread the massive successes of the Federation to friends and allies now instead of conquering enemies since that's really the only way we'll get the chance to "expand" anymore and I've always enjoyed working with you even when not officially part of anything. Obviously more and new is cool, but partly as a GM keeping the rules simple won't hurt my feelings either :smalltongue:

Think about it at least and either way is fine, but I'm flexible with working different things/ideas.

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-14, 07:11 PM
"We are the Nix'darum! I am their leader, Dorum; it is a present occurrence that we might meet here."

Dorum raises his hand and the fanfare stops,

"We have come to learn about the world around us. What is it that you lead, John?"

Aedilred
2014-09-14, 07:45 PM
You don't know when she was born, do you? I did invent a son as well, so I am trying to reconcile relative ages. I also assume the girls are in a stable, adult relationship?

"The pair of them seem quite happy and inseperable. It's like having another daughter!" He smiles. His wife Yvinia gives a slight smile as well, but there is a certain wistfulness in it. "They wanted to be here, but Amber is a major financier of berunda ranchers, and its whelping season. She just couldn't leave."

Meanwhile, the sullen young man stepped up to give Tempest a perfunctory kiss. "Auntie. You really should tour the new city. They incorporated so many new techniques. see that windmill across the channel? It pumps..." [/COLOR] Off he went, describing the clockworks and pumps, channels and flow directions, and so on, long after Tempest's eyes glazed over. She knew Tarn's son by reputation. He spent most of his time in research and study of a wide variety of subjects, but seldom was seen in the Raanekan court.
That's what I've been assuming, yeah. It seems to be what Zap was aiming for so I've tried to honour his "last request". She would be 44 by this point (b.402). Does Tarn's son have a name?

"I'll make sure we get a full tour," Elwyr said, sensing his mother had reached her limits of patience. "There might even be some ideas we can take back to Jarrland." The king gave a nod of agreement.

"We have a few plans in mind for building works. Our construction projects were delayed by the wars and other considerations, but we're hoping to get a lot done in the coming years. The port AQUA built for my uncle has been excellent, but we think it's time to expand it even further." He smiled slightly. "Guilderenes like to speak as if they're the greatest naval power in the east. We're hoping to... challenge that perception."

lt_murgen
2014-09-14, 08:22 PM
[COLOR="#FF0000"]"Do you have any idea who might be trying to run it under us both like this? Any leads to follow up on? The Guilds are of course happy to help our friends, but as Master Thu said, we've been unable to track it on our own."

She looked pensive. "We have two working theories. First, it isn't someone from AQUA. The Skipper and his pet rat LaFitte offered the Bloomenwald as a prison to half a dozen leaders. Any one of them could be sending folks to investigate it. But if they are, those smugglers are good- we can't catch them."

Shale Vug added, "And why it would be turning up in the Triumvirate, we don't know."

Pei-Mei nodded, "Only small doses are showing up, and in widely varied communities. It is almost as if someone is testing to see what groups are affected by it. Which is our second thought. Someone is trying to turn it into a weapon."

"But that would take some serious money, and connections in both AQUA and in the areas it is turning up."

Again she nodded, "If you aren't bringing it in, and we aren't, then it has to be someone with enough pull to fool your people and the officials."

Not entirely certain where I want to go with this yet. I like the idea of doing to some group what Britian did with opium imports to China, but I don't know if I can pull it of. I might use it for internal politics, maybe.

"We are the Nix'darum! I am their leader, Dorum; it is a present occurrence that we might meet here."

Dorum raises his hand and the fanfare stops,

"We have come to learn about the world around us. What is it that you lead, John?"
""The people of these islands. There are four of us who make decisions. I am one of them."

"Guilderenes like to speak as if they're the greatest naval power in the east. We're hoping to... challenge that perception."

I decided he should be called Devdan, one of the founders of Raaneka. He was born 100 years to the day from the original Devdan's birth

Tarn snorted, "The Guilderne think they are the best at everything." He caught his wife's look, and decided to be political, "but they have a lot to be proud of. Still, the Naval Academy here on the islands produces the best ships and pilots in the world. Have for decades. I'm sure you could recruit some shipwrights and navigators easily."

The sullen young man, Devdan, caught the conversation, "But they're falling behind! Airships are the way of the future. I reading a dissertation on the aerodyamic properties of various tanned animal hides and..." he started rambling something about elepahnt versus whales...

"Yes, well, the Guilder Academy of Clever Minds has done wonders for research. You might nee some kind of academy of your own, Elwyr, if you want to take Guilder on head to head."

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-15, 07:01 AM
"Hello then John. We have only recently awoken from a strange stasis, and we know nothing of this world."

The other Nix nodded to confirm,

"We are deeply estranged from our place in the world, it has been decided that coming here was the best method of contact."

Dorum went to shake John's hand when another group appeared and spoke,

"You speak as if you hold authority over me, how presumptuous."

A loud clicking noise rose from the Nix behind him; were they perhaps laughing?

"I am Dorum, I guide these people. The people I lead are the Nix'Darum, who were silenced in ages past by vicious evils. We held then, and control now our stretch of sea; it is our only dominion left.

There comes a sad moan from the Nix, it is a forlorn sound, almost as if they were in pain,

"Now John, who is this?"

Elemental
2014-09-15, 07:13 AM
The Ashenites at the Grant Compound

"Greetings to you as well Lord Andus. A chance to be in the Sun is exactly why I came here. Over a decade underground makes one long for light, even if you were with good company. Inconsequential though you claim your festival to be, the invitation certainly came at the right time.
"Nevertheless, rest will have to come between other matters. I've got these three to watch."
Even though Zhela had mentioned them, the three girls behind her clearly had their minds on something else.
"The Princesses Ambryn, Salline and Adrianna. Their parents thought the opportunity for travel would be good for them. As such, I get the unenviable position of chaperone."
At this, they snapped back to paying attention and pretended to smile meekly.
"Though I would have liked to have brought more of my nieces and nephews, part of me is glad that I only have to handle these three. There's a reason I never married."
She dismissed the girls and as a group they went off into the garden to watch the game of Jielf, stopping every so often to admire an exotic flower or tropical bird.
"Now that that is over with, I should inform you that our luggage will be arriving shortly as well as a gift from my father. He apologises that he is unable to attend due to his advanced years and wishes that I discuss affairs of state in his stead if at all possible."

Meanwhile, over in the garden...

"They certainly weren't lying when they said Islander men were handsome."
"You've got your eye on one, haven't you? I can hear it in your voice."
"It's that man, the one they called Gilligan, isn't it? 'Bryn, I think we should talk to Aunty about him tonight. I won't lie, I'd be pretty jealous if he falls for you, but you need to find someone quick, before Tamriel writes another epic about you."
"That's your problem 'Bryn, you're too nice to him. If it were me, I'd have sent Cousin Athelmere around to 'discourage' him months ago."
"Are you sure? It's a bit sudden don't you think?"
"Honey... Your parents never even met each other before their wedding celebrations. At least you'll get to talk to the man before we see if Aunt Zhela can make things official."
Adrianna picked a flower and placed it in Ambryn's hair before the three of them continued down the path.

Just to clarify, it was Ambryn and Gilligan we were arranging a marriage between, correct?
Also, do you want to trade technology while we're here? If so, I can give you Zeppelin or Oracle tech in exchange for lenses.

Trading Blackpowder and Oracles to Rain Dragon for Automata.

lt_murgen
2014-09-15, 09:22 AM
"You wished to speak with me?" called out the hastily dressed man. "What are you and to what powers owe you allegiance?" His right hand traced something that looked vaguely like a swastika in the air in front of him, following it up with a more complex design that is to difficult to easily follow.

John looked over at the Pavonians raised his hand in a restraining gesture. He wanted to keep this from becoming a fiasco. One hand did reach for a bamboo tube at his belt, however.

[COLOR="#0000CD"]"Now John, who is this?"

"These our visitors to my land. We are having a celebration. They are here to celebrate." John realized he was talking in short sentences, as if to a child. Yet these creatures, or at least their leader, seemed positively loquacious. "Your unexpected appearance startled them. And us. We do not know of creatures who think and live in the sea, beyond our allies the Pono al a Ono. But, if you mean no harm, then you are welcome."

"Tell me, what do you require to be comfortable?"

["Now that that is over with, I should inform you that our luggage will be arriving shortly as well as a gift from my father. He apologises that he is unable to attend due to his advanced years and wishes that I discuss affairs of state in his stead if at all possible."

Andus replied, "Please extend our thanks for the gift back to your father. If there are affairs of state, I am more than pleased to discuss them with you. But certainly do not feel any obligation to work." Andus shot a quick glance over to his wife, "This is a time for rest and enjoyment, or so I am told."

He glanced at the departing girls, "I have just the place for you to stay. Its just off the main canal, so you can travel by boat easily. It has a nice airy tower, where most of the bedrooms will have cool breezes all day. A larger suite on the first floor is also available. It's door opens right next to the only stairs to the tower. That should provide you ample peace of mind at night." He tried to keep a straight face.

Meanwhile, over in the garden...
Adrianna picked a flower and placed it in Ambryn's hair before the three of them continued down the path.

Gilligan and his older brother Max were settling the children down at a couple of shaded tables to play Tiles or Marbles.
"Don't look now, but those Ashenite girls are coming over?" Max whispered

"All of them?" Gilligan replied.

"Yup. Go get 'em tiger. They're too young for me."

Gilligan turned and tried to act casual as the girls walked into the garden. He thought it might look refined and manly if he reclined on one elbow against the table.

But it wasn't a table. It was the edge of a marbles board hanging off the table.

His weight flipped the board, sending marbles everywhere. He stumbled to one side, thumping into a planter and nearly toppling that over.

Just to clarify, it was Ambryn and Gilligan we were arranging a marriage between, correct?
Also, do you want to trade technology while we're here? If so, I can give you Zeppelin or Oracle tech in exchange for lenses.

Reggiejam
2014-09-15, 09:31 AM
A middle aged woman wearing a bright blue feathered hat (and little else, to Lois' eye) directed her to specific location on the Isle of Birds, another short voyage across the archipelao. The sea was much less disturbed as the catamaran crossed the sparkling blue shallows. It was even beautiful with the many shoals of coral and tropical fish.

The Isle of Birds was, as she recalled, controlled by the religious aspects of AQUA culture. It was a heavily forested island full of songbirds and seabirds. The Isle of Amber was a small port on the rocky shores, and it was a quick uphill walk to the home she sought.

It was a small sanctuary and lodge for the Children of Kina. It's interior court featured a large statue of the Goddess. People of many nationalities were present. All defined by the simple weighted scarf wound about one wrist. There, she found Linden Flint.

Linden was bedridden. His face was pale and he had sunken features. Still, he was awake and alert. He greeted her by name and title, and then spoke warmly, "My cousin in faith. How good it is to see you. I have long desired to meet such a devout Child."

"As I've long desired to finally meet with you cousin in faith and elder of Kina," Loris replied, taking an open seat by Flint's bedside.

"I had hoped to speak with you about the Children," she began uncertainly, "Mother brought back much from her sojourn those years back and I've made it my duty to pour over the manuscript of the Call and spread its message far and wide but I cannot help but feel unannointed. Unworthy," she paused.

"I was never recognized by the Children," she held up her hands, her dress sliding away from her arms and revealing her barren wrists, "The reumel was never given to me and I have not made pilgrimage to the Islands or Tar until today. And even more I've preached and turned many in the north but I can't help but feel as though it hasn't been enough, that the power of the Goddess is still untested to the northern peoples, but though I hear her call, I feel it would be out of my place to bring her blessing in the state I feel to be in and in a place so far from the shores of Tar and the Cities."

lt_murgen
2014-09-15, 10:59 AM
but though I hear her call, I feel it would be out of my place to bring her blessing in the state I feel to be in and in a place so far from the shores of Tar and the Cities."

The old man sat up in bed and drank something that smelled of pine. His tone was harsh, but with an undertone of sympathy, “You seek validation? You seek to have your works praised and recognized? Here.” He unwound the ruemel about his wrist. It was faded and stained, its red and black checkered pattern barely visible in spots. He flipped it into her lap. “Take it and go, if that is what you is driving you. Foolish child. You hear the Mother’s words, but do not understand them.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-15, 11:01 AM
She looked pensive. "We have two working theories. First, it isn't someone from AQUA. The Skipper and his pet rat LaFitte offered the Bloomenwald as a prison to half a dozen leaders. Any one of them could be sending folks to investigate it. But if they are, those smugglers are good- we can't catch them."

Shale Vug added, "And why it would be turning up in the Triumvirate, we don't know."

Pei-Mei nodded, "Only small doses are showing up, and in widely varied communities. It is almost as if someone is testing to see what groups are affected by it. Which is our second thought. Someone is trying to turn it into a weapon."

"But that would take some serious money, and connections in both AQUA and in the areas it is turning up."

Again she nodded, "If you aren't bringing it in, and we aren't, then it has to be someone with enough pull to fool your people and the officials."

Not entirely certain where I want to go with this yet. I like the idea of doing to some group what Britian did with opium imports to China, but I don't know if I can pull it of. I might use it for internal politics, maybe.

Bil seemed to muse, growing quiet and contemplative.

"Dey ain't makin demselves known to my ships dat's for certain. Whoever dey is dey musta have some ships sail da Golden Sun often nough not to draw tention and know da waters well."

"Salterri don't trade much in drugs, the lizards don't have much of a navy since getting smashed a few years back, and the Cree are tame little puppies since joining Bordeux and even more now that Ashenia has them on the leash."

"Could be the 'tame' Cree are biting back," Bil reentered the conversation, "Or it could be a rogue from the Guilds or AQUA trying to make something on the sly. But if they're looking to turn it into a weapon they must have, or think they have, a buyer who would snatch it up. I doubt the Triad Council would deal in such things, but there's others who doubtless would," she didn't name names, figuring everyone here had their own ideas on which nation might want a chemical weapon.

"We need to crack down on it, if for no other reason than to find out who's running it under our noses without getting caught. I can talk with Vig and Irvest, see if I can get one of them to track down the stuff's origin."

"Ant I'll send my boys to track down any ships lookin like dey tryin to avoid much scrutiny."

"I don't know if there's much else we can do, but we will work together to stop this, being as dangerous as you say."

I'm open to anything, just let me in and I'll drop any relevant hints. I'll also talk to Imp about maybe spending an action investigating it's origin in the Triumvirate.

Elemental
2014-09-15, 11:51 AM
Andus replied, "Please extend our thanks for the gift back to your father. If there are affairs of state, I am more than pleased to discuss them with you. But certainly do not feel any obligation to work." Andus shot a quick glance over to his wife, "This is a time for rest and enjoyment, or so I am told."

He glanced at the departing girls, "I have just the place for you to stay. Its just off the main canal, so you can travel by boat easily. It has a nice airy tower, where most of the bedrooms will have cool breezes all day. A larger suite on the first floor is also available. It's door opens right next to the only stairs to the tower. That should provide you ample peace of mind at night." He tried to keep a straight face.

Zhela on the other hand didn't bother and allowed herself a small smile.
"The accommodation sounds perfect. I hope you don't have a problem if our guards keep watch over the building? I really couldn't tell them not to anyway, they'd just look at me and repeat something about honour and duty. I honestly think they're on orders from over my head."
The guards remained standing at a respectful and unobtrusive distance, their silence acting as confirmation of Zhela's words.
"Four of you, go and direct the porters to our accommodation and make sure there are no deadly vipers or anything under the beds. I don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night"
She turned back to face Andus as they moved away.
"Now. About the gifts... Don't go thanking Father yet. He sent books. A lot of them. Truth is, the printing houses at Severikand sent him too many copies of the Encyclopaedia Ashenica, and he's trying to offload a set."
As she spoke a group of servants carrying at least a dozen cedar chests arrived and started making their way over.

Gilligan turned and tried to act casual as the girls walked into the garden. He thought it might look refined and manly if he reclined on one elbow against the table.

But it wasn't a table. It was the edge of a marbles board hanging off the table.

His weight flipped the board, sending marbles everywhere. He stumbled to one side, thumping into a planter and nearly toppling that over.

While it is rude to laugh at someone, sometimes, one simply cannot help one's self, and that was the case here. The girls exchanged looks and began to laugh even as they moved to help pick up stray marbles, but they were friendly laughs, clear and bright without a hint of malice or cruelty. Eventually, one of them, Ambryn, got her laughter under control and moved forward to say hello. Perhaps Gilligan noticed how the flower that Adrianna had strategically placed in her hair brought out the striking and unusual golden brown of her eyes, but perhaps he didn't. She offered a hand to help him balance.
"Are you alright?"

Oracle Tech and Blackpowder to Rain Dragon for Automata
Hovercraft to Burch for Prosthetics and Lens Grinding

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-15, 12:18 PM
Dorum looked to John and said,

"We merly require warm shallow water, nothing more."

He then turned to Clovis and stated sagely,

"Perhaps you are correct. We may have called them by a different name, but they were indeed a scourge on land and sea; if they are wht you speak of."

lt_murgen
2014-09-15, 12:23 PM
As she spoke a group of servants carrying at least a dozen cedar chests arrived and started making their way over.

Andus was genuinely pleased. "Books are never unwelcome here! The climate is not a friend to the printed word, and even our academy on the mountaintop suffers. And most certainly, treat the accommodations as if they are yours." He motioned to a porter in a wide brimmed hat covered in blue feathers. "Mikey, provide the honor guard everything they need to verify the place is safe and secure. Show them how to deploy the Firth-spikes, to deter and amorous climbers."

A woman came over and kissed him on the cheek. "My late uncle never climbed up to a woman's balcony, dear. The whole Sycian affair is more hyperbole than truth." She bowed to the Zhela. "My name is Ginger Grant Fitzrion. Welcome to our islands. But if you will excuse me, I will go find your charges. I believe they went off following my brothers" She said with a smile.

Perhaps Gilligan noticed how the flower that Adrianna had strategically placed in her hair brought out the striking and unusual golden brown of her eyes, but perhaps he didn't. She offered a hand to help him balance.
"Are you alright?"

Gilligan did notice, but not the flower. She had truly captured his attention. So much so that he failed to notice his foot was still inside the plants pot as he spoke.

"Yes. Thank you. I just.. well it was all just a silly... I guess I misjudged..." He stopped talking, but forgot to let go of her hand.

His brother came to his rescue. "Thank you both for all your help. With large family gatherings, something is always getting knocked over."

"With my baby brother, every event has at least one catastrophe." A woman's voice said from behind them. "You should ask him about the thunderbeast during the International games." She laughed.

"I was just a kid then!" He blushed and stepped towards his sister, catching his foot on the pot and pitched into Ambryn. The two stumbled for a couple of steps, coming to a stop with his arm protectively about her waist, steadying her.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

"Ant I'll send my boys to track down any ships lookin like dey tryin to avoid much scrutiny."

"I don't know if there's much else we can do, but we will work together to stop this, being as dangerous as you say."

"It could be Guilder, or one of them freaky easterners." Shug added.

Pei Mei was clearly trying to avoid that topic, judging by her expression. "Yes, trafficking through the Imperium and over to Tzalteclan could be going on. But I cannot believe it is a prelude to anything." She tried to dismiss Shug's suggestion.

"Or up through Grizzland."

Pei Mei conceeded that, "If the guilds can ensure no overland traffic through their lands, it would go a long way to nailing the source. We will increase patrols around the Bloomenwald. I will make certain Raaneka assists as well. One of their royal family is here on a visit."

I will keep you informed. As for now, I will post two more rumors in my IC thread. One is that someone slipped Tarn Grant-Tremblor Adite grape-lotus extract at the event, and that he was sick for three full months. The other is that the free traders of AQUA are spreading a rumor that Councilman John LaFitte and his known associates are the ones selling the extract. Since Pierre Mason is closely associated, and the governor of a part of Woodwind, this could cause issues. I don't know if the second one is true, but the first is.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Once he was done speaking to the Pavonian, John spoke, “Excellent. I see Councilperson Gonzo the Great has arrived.” He said, pointing to a huge creature breaking the water a distance off.

He raised the tube to his mouth and made some odd noises. The sound came out much, much louder than before. A returning call was heard from the monsters.

John turned back to the sea-bug people. “They can guide you to a warm, pleasant cove which you can use as you see fit while you are here. I will send word to the leaders of other nations who are at our festival to visit with you.”

Yes, they are the giant submarine eating creatures from The Phantom Menace…
http://rpggamer.org/shippics/sandoaqua.jpg

Aedilred
2014-09-15, 03:32 PM
I decided he should be called Devdan, one of the founders of Raaneka. He was born 100 years to the day from the original Devdan's birth

Tarn snorted, "The Guilderne think they are the best at everything." He caught his wife's look, and decided to be political, "but they have a lot to be proud of. Still, the Naval Academy here on the islands produces the best ships and pilots in the world. Have for decades. I'm sure you could recruit some shipwrights and navigators easily."

The sullen young man, Devdan, caught the conversation, "But they're falling behind! Airships are the way of the future. I reading a dissertation on the aerodyamic properties of various tanned animal hides and..." he started rambling something about elepahnt versus whales...

"Yes, well, the Guilder Academy of Clever Minds has done wonders for research. You might nee some kind of academy of your own, Elwyr, if you want to take Guilder on head to head."
"Perhaps you're right," Alfmark said. "It's all very well training our people to read, but we should probably be teaching them to think as well." He looked back at Elwyr. "Do you think Eirwynn would be open to sponsoring another university?"

"If she isn't, I would be. She could probably give us some useful pointers from Severikand at least, though."

"Of course, there's a problem with airships that you don't get with conventional ships," Jogay said to Devdan, somewhat drily. "If my ship goes down, the crew have a chance to get away in boats, or even swim to safety if they're strong enough. With an airship, though, any sort of serious problem - a storm, a mechanical fault - and you lose everyone on board."

"Unless they can fly," Atheldynn said.

"An airship crewed by harpies?"

"It might be worth looking into."

"Let's not get ahead of ourseves; we need to work out how to build them first. In the meantime, I think our navy is quite good enough." Alfmark turned back to Tarn. "Do you know where we could find our host?"

Reggiejam
2014-09-15, 05:02 PM
The old man sat up in bed and drank something that smelled of pine. His tone was harsh, but with an undertone of sympathy, “You seek validation? You seek to have your works praised and recognized? Here.” He unwound the ruemel about his wrist. It was faded and stained, its red and black checkered pattern barely visible in spots. He flipped it into her lap. “Take it and go, if that is what you is driving you. Foolish child. You hear the Mother’s words, but do not understand them.

Loris' face twisted up in a contorted effort not to break down, but her lip quivered slightly as if her father had just reprimanded her for a misdeed.

"It is you who don't understand Eldest," she picked the reumel up from her lap and dropped it on the bed, "I came to seek yours and the Mother's blessing. To be truly consecrated in Her ways. I preach but I do so blinded from the origin of Her words, I came to seek them out, not seek praise for deeds I am yet uncertain even deserve the basest of recognition. I am young among Her children but I came seeking knowledge, not dismissal." as she spoke her voice shifted from quivering and sad to assertive and angry and her face had shifted to reflect, her pale shimmering skin growing pink around her cheeks and pointed ears.

WaylanderX
2014-09-16, 08:02 AM
At the festival, somewhere near Loris at a certain unspecified point in time.

"Sir, are you certain this is a good idea? You might upset our hosts if they find out."

"Oh, shut your trap, Kenwyn and just look the part of a noble. I am but a humble guard. And don't call me Sir, that is going to raise suspicions. They won't find out, our Prowess is too great. My grandfather used to do this all the time and I just want to have a bit of fun. I'm sure you can understand."

Quabling, Wayve and Kenwyn strolled over the festival grounds. Wayve was clad in a mithril plate, his visor lowered as that his face was not visible. His trusty axe was wrapped in cloth to hide its signature black and red blade. His wings were hidden beneath a thick cloak. Kenwyn had been asking the same question this entire time, being the more wise of the two men. Danger could be around any corner, especially abroad. The Bucka sighed.

"Yes, my loyal guardsman. I understand. I understand that you will need a thorough spanking by your mother when we get back to Earthhome."

Something akin to a laugh could be heard behind the visor.

"You worry to much, my Bucka friend. Grïend is also roaming somewhere around here you know. If there is trouble, an avalance will surely come down to help us."

Wayve spotted a familiar figure in the crowd.

"Look who we have there. Little Loris. Sir Kenwyn Sir, I suggest we are going to greet my dau...... our Faedas ally."

Kenwyn rolled his eyes, but a small hint of amusement could be seen in those eyes, a small smile on his lips. This was way better than a too serieus a lord, one that couldn't get a joke. Or drink. A lord that didn't drink would be the worst. He kind off enjoyed drinking the evening away with his liege, singing tavern songs so loud that even the Avatar could often hear them down in the Chamber.

The duo stepped to Loris, Kenwyn greeting her with a big smile.

"Loris! Fancy meeting you here. What brings you to this festival? Are your mother and sister around as well?"

Wayve saluted before his daughter, determined to keep his disguise up.

"My lady! It's an honour! Gyran Pulseshade at your service!"

"Perhaps you are correct. We may have called them by a different name, but they were indeed a scourge on land and sea; if they are wht you speak of."

Grïend, wandering near to the shore, noticed the Nix'Darum coming ashore and came closer to investigate. In his curiousity, he forgot to keep his voice down, his graveling voice booming.

"GREETINGS...STRANGERS......FORGIVE ME FOR...EAVESDROPPING......YOU HAVE BUT...RECENTLY...AWAKENED...YES? *ahem* Forgive my voice, my researchers soul just QUIVERS *ahem* with excitement when I meet new people. I am Grïend, Ambassador of the Menhîrin race, under the Prowessfull leadership of Wayve Earthguard, Emperor of the Hurosha Empire. Do you mind telling me some of your people's habbits, if you have the time? If I can, I will answer any question about the present state of the world to the best of my ability."

Five meters high, wearing pitch-black bracer-like arnaments on his wrists.
http://37.media.tumblr.com/420e9d81d4d034773da846ae041de351/tumblr_n20xn9FHu11qjyqixo6_500.png

lt_murgen
2014-09-16, 08:20 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourseves; we need to work out how to build them first. In the meantime, I think our navy is quite good enough.[/COLOR]" Alfmark turned back to Tarn. "Do you know where we could find our host?"

“I know Martin and his family planned to stay at the Grant Compound here in Pearl. Yvinia will want to see her adopted daughter. Did you know Ginger was pregnant? Anyway, Andus will probably be close by. We are all going that way. Dusari can explain to us all the fascinating sanitation updates they built into the canal city.” His tone indicated he found it quite the opposite.

They flagged down a couple of foot-cabs and headed to the compound. Devdan spoke, “The foot-carts were another innovation the introduced. Two people pulling a cart that can carry up to four people! Lots of work for the unemployed. No offense!” He yelled to the pair pulling his cart who gave it a couple of good natured bounces in reply. “And it keeps donkeys and horses out of the streets- so less waste all over....” He continued on as they rolled over bridges and alongside the many canals. Eventually they reached the far side of the town.

They arrived just as a large crowd of teenagers were departing. They recognized Max and Gilligan, Martin’s adopted sons. Their ‘cousin’ Hawkeye's three children, John, Margaret, and Henry were with as well. So were Tumberink’s children- Philip and the twins Dominique and Emmanuel. After a lengthy round of hugs and kisses, the gaggle of teens were off, dragging Devdan with them. Adventure awaits! They cried. The adults couldn’t help but fear for the town’s safety.

The older folks were escorted to a shady porch. Lounging in the cool breeze were Martin and his wife Yvinia, Andus and Ginger. They greeted their elder relatives warmly.

as she spoke her voice shifted from quivering and sad to assertive and angry and her face had shifted to reflect, her pale shimmering skin growing pink around her cheeks and pointed ears.

The old man may have been a strict disciple of Kina. He believed strength came from adversity and flowed through honesty. But he still had a soft spot for pretty women when they were sad. His tone was more conciliatory. “I heard the fear in your words, the uncertainty; the wish to know if what you are doing is what SHE wants you to do. But now I understand. For you are Blessed by the Mother, and facing a test of the Khaditna.

It was Opus Petrichor, a great preacher, who said, “Children call upon their mother, comprehending not the difference between need and desire. The Great Deceiver will deny you your earthly delights, despoils your pleasures. What you need is found only in in the darkness beyond adversity.”

So I ask you, can you put aside your desire for affirmation? Will you seek to remove your fear of being unloved, unordained? Or will you embrace that fear? Understand that we cannot KNOW if we are doing right. We can only know that we earnestly BELIEVE we are doing right.
He actually smiled at her. Oral hygiene must be lacking on the islands, she noted. “So I ask you also, do you believe your actions to be faithful, child?”

lt_murgen
2014-09-16, 08:27 AM
Grïend, wandering near to the shore, noticed the Nix'Darum coming ashore and came closer to investigate. In his curiousity, he forgot to keep his voice down, his graveling voice booming.

"GREETINGS...STRANGERS......FORGIVE ME FOR...EAVESDROPPING......YOU HAVE BUT...RECENTLY...AWAKENED...YES? *ahem* Forgive my voice, my researchers soul just QUIVERS *ahem* with excitement when I meet new people. I am Grïend, Ambassador of the Menhîrin race, under the Prowessfull leadership of Wayve Earthguard, Emperor of the Hurosha Empire. Do you mind telling me some of your people's habbits, if you have the time? If I can, I will answer any question about the present state of the world to the best of my ability."

John turned and greeted Griend. He wanted to show that the large creature was friendly, so as not to scare the bug-people too much too quickly.

He bowed, "Ambassador! So good to see you! I am so glad to see you strong and wonderous once again. For the last time I saw you was when you were saving others from Ridovo the Crazed."

He turned back to the Nix'Darum. "There are many different races that live on the land, and under it. The Menhirin are one of the most remarkable."

QuintonBeck
2014-09-16, 10:37 AM
"It could be Guilder, or one of them freaky easterners." Shug added.

Pei Mei was clearly trying to avoid that topic, judging by her expression. "Yes, trafficking through the Imperium and over to Tzalteclan could be going on. But I cannot believe it is a prelude to anything." She tried to dismiss Shug's suggestion.

"Or up through Grizzland."

Pei Mei conceeded that, "If the guilds can ensure no overland traffic through their lands, it would go a long way to nailing the source. We will increase patrols around the Bloomenwald. I will make certain Raaneka assists as well. One of their royal family is here on a visit."

I will keep you informed. As for now, I will post two more rumors in my IC thread. One is that someone slipped Tarn Grant-Tremblor Adite grape-lotus extract at the event, and that he was sick for three full months. The other is that the free traders of AQUA are spreading a rumor that Councilman John LaFitte and his known associates are the ones selling the extract. Since Pierre Mason is closely associated, and the governor of a part of Woodwind, this could cause issues. I don't know if the second one is true, but the first is.

Bil nodded, "We will do what we can to secure the overland trade routes and the Canal as well, if we find anything I'm certain Jengo will be happy to carry the message to you."

Jengo sneered at the quasi-order but nodded an affirmative, his head movement causing the Cave Cat around his neck to stir from its lackadaisical slumber for a moment only to return to resting after realizing the sun still shone.

"And you'll let our Network contact know what you find," Thu added.

I'll think on what the Guild would/can do what that information and have something pop up in a rumors post sometime soon.

@ Anyone Anyone want to play some Jielf with some teenagers?

lt_murgen
2014-09-16, 07:03 PM
Bil nodded, "
[COLOR="#B22222"]"And you'll let our Network contact know what you find," Thu added.

"Agreed." Huang Pei Mei concluded. "If that is all, I need to return to kissing up to the Raanekan's in my extended family." She didn't sound pleased.

I forgot to confirm. Yes, Ambryn and Gilligan, and ultralight materials for lenses

*******Interlude*********
Night fell on the Islands. The setting sun cast the last rays of purple and crimson across the sky. Above, the twin moons shone brightly down upon the water and the white sands. The whitecaps shone in the moonlight. With each breaking wave, the water pulsed and swirled with a gentle pink light. Small groups gathered around campfires, and strains of love songs, or bawdy tavern melodies, drifted across the sands. Here and there, couples walked in the semi-darkness, watching the water. Some skipped stones, creating pink bursts of color with each impact. Others merely were content to hold hands and enjoy the special "lover's lights".

http://youtu.be/tQX3yK8aw3Y

Reggiejam
2014-09-16, 07:15 PM
"Sir, are you certain this is a good idea? You might upset our hosts if they find out."

"Oh, shut your trap, Kenwyn and just look the part of a noble. I am but a humble guard. And don't call me Sir, that is going to raise suspicions. They won't find out, our Prowess is too great. My grandfather used to do this all the time and I just want to have a bit of fun. I'm sure you can understand."

Quabling, Wayve and Kenwyn strolled over the festival grounds. Wayve was clad in a mithril plate, his visor lowered as that his face was not visible. His trusty axe was wrapped in cloth to hide its signature black and red blade. His wings were hidden beneath a thick cloak. Kenwyn had been asking the same question this entire time, being the more wise of the two men. Danger could be around any corner, especially abroad. The Bucka sighed.

"Yes, my loyal guardsman. I understand. I understand that you will need a thorough spanking by your mother when we get back to Earthhome."

Something akin to a laugh could be heard behind the visor.

"You worry to much, my Bucka friend. Grïend is also roaming somewhere around here you know. If there is trouble, an avalance will surely come down to help us."

Wayve spotted a familiar figure in the crowd.

"Look who we have there. Little Loris. Sir Kenwyn Sir, I suggest we are going to greet my dau...... our Faedas ally."

Kenwyn rolled his eyes, but a small hint of amusement could be seen in those eyes, a small smile on his lips. This was way better than a too serieus a lord, one that couldn't get a joke. Or drink. A lord that didn't drink would be the worst. He kind off enjoyed drinking the evening away with his liege, singing tavern songs so loud that even the Avatar could often hear them down in the Chamber.

The duo stepped to Loris, Kenwyn greeting her with a big smile.

"Loris! Fancy meeting you here. What brings you to this festival? Are your mother and sister around as well?"

Wayve saluted before his daughter, determined to keep his disguise up.

"My lady! It's an honour! Gyran Pulseshade at your service!"

Loris spun about, startled, having just returned from the Isle of the Birds, "Uncle Kenwyn!" she smiled at the Bucka, "I'm afraid they aren't, I came here alone. Or as alone as Father and Mother will let me be," and as alone as I can be with Kyria she thought the last bit to herself.

At the speaking of the guard she turned to him. There was something familiar about his voice, muffled as it was behind the helmet...

"Prowess guide you Gyran," she didn't dwell on the guard's voice long before returning to address her Uncle.

"Tell me, how fares Zargrim? I regret most of my time spent in the province is travelling the road to Tekorva."

The old man may have been a strict disciple of Kina. He believed strength came from adversity and flowed through honesty. But he still had a soft spot for pretty women when they were sad. His tone was more conciliatory. “I heard the fear in your words, the uncertainty; the wish to know if what you are doing is what SHE wants you to do. But now I understand. For you are Blessed by the Mother, and facing a test of the Khaditna.

It was Opus Petrichor, a great preacher, who said, “Children call upon their mother, comprehending not the difference between need and desire. The Great Deceiver will deny you your earthly delights, despoils your pleasures. What you need is found only in in the darkness beyond adversity.”

So I ask you, can you put aside your desire for affirmation? Will you seek to remove your fear of being unloved, unordained? Or will you embrace that fear? Understand that we cannot KNOW if we are doing right. We can only know that we earnestly BELIEVE we are doing right.
He actually smiled at her. Oral hygiene must be lacking on the islands, she noted. “So I ask you also, do you believe your actions to be faithful, child?”

Loris paused for a moment, thinking on the Eldest's words. She sat at his bedside for nearly two minutes in full, silent, reflecting on her deeds and work, reflecting on the connection she felt with Kina. After her prolonged silence, she stood up.

"I do," she stated simply, with an appreciative smile more filled with confidence than she had been before. And as she stood she reached out and lifted the reumel from the bed where she had dropped it, fashioning it about her wrist without hesitation.

"Thank you Eldest, for opening my eyes to the deception."

I kinda wanted to have more interaction but this seems like such an appropriate response and end point. Still, the option ofr further conversation remains open.

lt_murgen
2014-09-16, 08:22 PM
"Thank you Eldest, for opening my eyes to the deception."

I kinda wanted to have more interaction but this seems like such an appropriate response and end point. Still, the option ofr further conversation remains open.

"Go, cousin in spirit. Embrace you fear and carry it with you. Uncertainty of your path will cause you to stop and reflect. It is your shield against hubris." He was glad to see Loris so encouraged. "I shall send two of the holy order with you, to assist you in your tasks. And do make a pilgrimage to the holy grove should you feel lost or confused. You will always find welcome there. Quiet reflection under the whispering tree is quite revitalizing."

That's cool. But the old man likes to have the last word. Also, how about a trade of gems forKetsuek crystal?

Rain Dragon
2014-09-16, 11:51 PM
@ Anyone Anyone want to play some Jielf with some teenagers?

((OOC - I'm not doing anything much if you want. Some of the airship crew could. Maybe Fauratans. I should go look up what Jielf is again...))

Elemental
2014-09-17, 08:22 AM
Andus was genuinely pleased. "Books are never unwelcome here! The climate is not a friend to the printed word, and even our academy on the mountaintop suffers. And most certainly, treat the accommodations as if they are yours." He motioned to a porter in a wide brimmed hat covered in blue feathers. "Mikey, provide the honor guard everything they need to verify the place is safe and secure. Show them how to deploy the Firth-spikes, to deter and amorous climbers."

A woman came over and kissed him on the cheek. "My late uncle never climbed up to a woman's balcony, dear. The whole Sycian affair is more hyperbole than truth." She bowed to the Zhela. "My name is Ginger Grant Fitzrion. Welcome to our islands. But if you will excuse me, I will go find your charges. I believe they went off following my brothers" She said with a smile.

"Fortunately, the weather of Ashenia remains dry enough for the printed word to accumulate. You should send copies of all your most important books to the university at Ryazen Bay when it is complete, the climate there should be more amenable to long term storage."
Zhela returned the bow of Ginger Grant-Firtzrion.
"It is a pleasure to meet you. Be careful, one of them has a sarcastic streak."

Gilligan did notice, but not the flower. She had truly captured his attention. So much so that he failed to notice his foot was still inside the plants pot as he spoke.

"Yes. Thank you. I just.. well it was all just a silly... I guess I misjudged..." He stopped talking, but forgot to let go of her hand.

His brother came to his rescue. "Thank you both for all your help. With large family gatherings, something is always getting knocked over."

"With my baby brother, every event has at least one catastrophe." A woman's voice said from behind them. "You should ask him about the thunderbeast during the International games." She laughed.

"I was just a kid then!" He blushed and stepped towards his sister, catching his foot on the pot and pitched into Ambryn. The two stumbled for a couple of steps, coming to a stop with his arm protectively about her waist, steadying her.

Ambryn was just about to ask about the thunderbeast before Gilligan almost knocked her over. But despite his clumsiness he managed to prevent the two of them from falling over. Her cousins in the background did their best to avoid chuckling, but they failed and the air was filled with their light hearted laughter. Ambryn on the other hand instead felt her face begin to grow warm.
"It is not that I'm not grateful, but this is very sudden Sir..?"
She paused, giving him the chance to introduce himself.

I forgot to confirm. Yes, Ambryn and Gilligan, and ultralight materials for lenses

Alas, I can't give you Ultralight Materials at this time as I don't have that tech. I will be receiving that tech, but by next round I will also have lenses. I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Aedilred
2014-09-17, 10:51 AM
“I know Martin and his family planned to stay at the Grant Compound here in Pearl. Yvinia will want to see her adopted daughter. Did you know Ginger was pregnant? Anyway, Andus will probably be close by. We are all going that way. Dusari can explain to us all the fascinating sanitation updates they built into the canal city.” His tone indicated he found it quite the opposite.

They flagged down a couple of foot-cabs and headed to the compound. Devdan spoke, “The foot-carts were another innovation the introduced. Two people pulling a cart that can carry up to four people! Lots of work for the unemployed. No offense!” He yelled to the pair pulling his cart who gave it a couple of good natured bounces in reply. “And it keeps donkeys and horses out of the streets- so less waste all over....” He continued on as they rolled over bridges and alongside the many canals. Eventually they reached the far side of the town.

They arrived just as a large crowd of teenagers were departing. They recognized Max and Gilligan, Martin’s adopted sons. Their ‘cousin’ Hawkeye's three children, John, Margaret, and Henry were with as well. So were Tumberink’s children- Philip and the twins Dominique and Emmanuel. After a lengthy round of hugs and kisses, the gaggle of teens were off, dragging Devdan with them. Adventure awaits! They cried. The adults couldn’t help but fear for the town’s safety.

The older folks were escorted to a shady porch. Lounging in the cool breeze were Martin and his wife Yvinia, Andus and Ginger. They greeted their elder relatives warmly.
Alfmark tipped his hat as he approached. "Lord Skipper, Ginger. I hear congratulations will shortly be in order."

"It's taken you long enough," Elwyr said, good-naturedly, as he greeted them in turn. "You've been married nearly ten years, haven't you? You both have family reputations to maintain, you know."

"At least they'd got as far as to get married ten years ago," his brother muttered, "unlike some people I could mention."

"Quiet, you two," Tempest interjected. "Honestly," she said to their hosts, "you'd have thought they'd grow out of this bickering thirty years ago. We're just glad we'll have a new member of the family soon. These things can take time, after all, and I should know. It was seven years before Mere and I got anywhere, and that wasn't for want of trying-"

Mercifully, she was interrupted by the sound of a distant fanfare, a couple of them glanced in that direction. "Sounds like the Nixdarum have arrived," Alfmark said. "We offered to bring them on our ships, but they preferred to make their own way. An interesting people, I think you'll like them."

"The Pono might like them a bit too much," Elwyr muttered.

The king grimaced. "Let's hope not. 'Dynn, perhaps you'd best go and greet them... just to help avoid misunderstandings."

Atheldynn nodded gratefully, probably glad to get away from his mother, and set off in the direction of the beach, whistling a jaunty tune.

"I suppose introductions are in order, then." He points at himself "I am Duke Clovis Wulfendyne, and this is my wife, Duchess Emryn, our daughters Astrid, Maria, and Molly," (Molly is the one with the bright red skin), "Granqueso Carlos Ramirez of Frios, Chief Vadderung of Promise, and Princess Markov Huanle."

"Singer bless your path," says Chief Vadderung, with a kind smile.

Huanle turns up her nose just slightly.

"Hail, Dorum!" a voice called, and Atheldynn came striding across the beach to greet them. "I see you found your way alright then. And some of the rest of the family, too!" he exclaimed, on seeing the Pavonians. He gave Emryn and her family a hug. "This is a pleasant surprise!" Turning to the rest of the foreigners, he continued - "You, I don't think I know..." then tailed off on seeing Huanle, doing a momentary double-take. "What are you doing here? You have some explaining to do, young lady!"

Reggiejam
2014-09-17, 05:20 PM
"Go, cousin in spirit. Embrace you fear and carry it with you. Uncertainty of your path will cause you to stop and reflect. It is your shield against hubris." He was glad to see Loris so encouraged. "I shall send two of the holy order with you, to assist you in your tasks. And do make a pilgrimage to the holy grove should you feel lost or confused. You will always find welcome there. Quiet reflection under the whispering tree is quite revitalizing."

That's cool. But the old man likes to have the last word. Also, how about a trade of gems forKetsuek crystal?

Loris smiled and nodded, "Thank you Elder Flint, I shall take your advice to heart."

With her certainty restored to her, or rather, her uncertainty validated Loris made to depart the Eldest after paying respects once again and saying a prayer before the altar to Kina. She would have to see her mother arranged some sort of caravan exchange with the Cities, so as to make any future pilgrimages easier for both herself and other converts wishing to pay homage to the holy grove.

She took a catamaran back to Big Boy where the bulk of the festivities were occurring and it was there that she ran into her Bucka Uncle and the strange guard he had with him.

Works for me.

Definitely sounds good, I'll add it in.

lt_murgen
2014-09-17, 07:16 PM
[
"It is not that I'm not grateful, but this is very sudden Sir..?"
She paused, giving him the chance to introduce himself.

Gilligan liked this girl. Anyone who could maintain her composure through all this was a true gem. "I am Gilligan Grant-Tremblor. Sister to Ginger, who is married to the AQUA Skipper General. My father Martin is governor of the Salterri province of Niemidaland. The Jarrow dowager Queen Tempest is my aunt." He sounded proud as he laid out his heritage.

"Um, little brother?" Max's eyes glanced down. Gilligan still had his hand resting along the small of Ambryn's back.

"Oh! Sorry!" He sounded flustered suddenly, all bravado gone. "I didn't mean to seem forward." He quickly took a step back, putting some respectful distance.

"Yes, well, now that you know my youngest brother, I should introduce the rest of the family. I am Ginger Grant-Tremblor, and this is middle child Maximillian."

"Middle in birth, first and foremost in all else!" Max adds, with so much pomp that it had to be deliberately humorous.

"Including humility. Well, oh most noble and divine sibling, perhaps you can escort the ladies' party to their residence? It is time for them to depart." She watched Ambryn's face closely as she spoke, and then added, "And take Gilligan with you, before he manages to knock the entire villa down."

lt_murgen
2014-09-18, 07:39 AM
"Um... yeah. So, remember that gorgeous Lady Lucrezia who showed up to Tianshi's coronation a few years back? In case you didn't know, she was a vampire. After tragically failing to get the attention of either Charlie or Vizini, I wandered out into the gardens and met her. We got to talking, had a long deep soul-searching conversation, ended up on one of those love benches under the moonlight. I think you can guess where things went from there."

"First I knew of it was about six months after the coronation, when we got word that Huanle had disappeared," Clovis weighs in. "And it was another couple of years before Father actually learned what had happened to her. Lucrezia smuggled Huanle back to Pavonia quite cleverly, and once they were back in the Starlight Citadel there were no more prying eyes."

"Ladies, gentlemen, please!" John was trying to keep control of the crowds that were gathering, and the international incident that was brewing. "We are here to welcome these new, remarkable sentients!"

From the water, the pair of Pono al a Ono swam closer, talking amongst themselves. John hoped that no one in the crowd besides him spoke Pono'a. They were discussing if the Nix tasted as good as they looked.

lt_murgen
2014-09-19, 07:19 AM
******Time Bubble********

After all the hullaballoo over the arrival of the Nix settles down, Skipper-General Andus Fitzrion made a formal visit. They had been given use of fine coral lagoon that was part of the Grand Banks. Andus joined them in the water, swimming and coral diving for a few minutes with them. He exchanged introductions and pleasantries for a time, and made sure the new makalahi were comfortable. He liked that word, makalahi. It was the Pono al a Ono word that meant ‘to be awake’. Awake, aware of the word and yourself. Yes, makalahi was a good word.

He floated causally close to their speaker. “I would love to hear of your lands under the sea. Some of my people can stay under water for a dozen minutes or more. We appreciate the beauty found below the waves.”

Aedilred
2014-09-19, 08:28 PM
"Um... yeah. So, remember that gorgeous Lady Lucrezia who showed up to Tianshi's coronation a few years back? In case you didn't know, she was a vampire. After tragically failing to get the attention of either Charlie or Vizini, I wandered out into the gardens and met her. We got to talking, had a long deep soul-searching conversation, ended up on one of those love benches under the moonlight. I think you can guess where things went from there."

"First I knew of it was about six months after the coronation, when we got word that Huanle had disappeared," Clovis weighs in. "And it was another couple of years before Father actually learned what had happened to her. Lucrezia smuggled Huanle back to Pavonia quite cleverly, and once they were back in the Starlight Citadel there were no more prying eyes."
"A vampire? I know you were always one for romantic stories, Huanle, but..." he shook his head. The Pavonians seemed to take it seriously, at least. "But would it have killed you to send a letter to Xianzhi Urbe to let them know you were safe? Do you know how worried your sisters have been? Not to mention your mother!"

He turned back to the Nix and islanders. "Sorry John, Dorum. But my niece here has had half the Imperial navy scouring every port in the south for news of her for the last five years... It seems she's been in Pavonia the whole time and neither she nor my daughter has seen fit to tell anyone about it."

Aedilred
2014-09-21, 10:43 PM
"Lucrezia wouldn't let me send a letter at first. I think she was worried that the Imperium would try and steal me back. It'll still be a few more years before I can leave her. I suppose I could have sent a letter after she agreed to let me come down here, but it wouldn't have gotten here all that long before I did and I was kind of looking forward to the surprise."

Emryn joins in, "And like Clovis said, we only found out where she'd actually gone a few months ago. Speaking of which, is the Qzarina here anywhere? I think she and Huanle should meet in person."

"She is not here, at least as far as I know. I can't imagine that she will be terribly pleased when she discovers what has happened, though. Either your absconding without notifying her, Huanle, or whatever it is you have apparently been turned into. At the very least I expect she will demand recompense against Lady Lucrezia for her actions. "

His eyes narrowed slightly. "I should have expected even you to know better, Huanle. You are an heir to the Silver Throne! Not some trollop to be carried off as a prize by whichever nobleman - or noblewoman - takes a fancy to you. And sovereigns are not usually enamoured of surprises - even from their close relatives."

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-25, 09:35 AM
I am sure that there are more appropriate times for that discussion, as I must discuss important economic treaties with the leaders of neighboring regions; I will not rest untill I am certain my people have the resources they need.

There was a chittering sound, a laugh?

"Besides I am not tired, merely hungry; you do have food do you not?