PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies as Terrain?

Hanuman
2014-09-10, 02:28 PM
I think we can all agree that land and sea whether it be forest, swamp, mountain or island are all "terrain", but does a city street include the outsides of buildings as terrain? How about the outsides of ships?

Lightlawbliss
2014-09-10, 02:31 PM
Why wouldn't they?

Red Fel
2014-09-10, 02:34 PM
Why wouldn't they?

This.

Seriously, a little context would be a big help. In what way do you mean terrain, as opposed to its normal definition? Do you mean terrain with regard to a particular rule or class feature?

Urpriest
2014-09-10, 02:37 PM
In general, the rule that mentions terrain will clarify its meaning.

OldTrees1
2014-09-10, 02:37 PM
One definition: "a tract of land, especially as considered with reference to its natural features, military advantages, etc."

Basically terrain is the area being moved through. So the outsides of ships are a bit controversial but the ocean is certainly terrain are are city streets(which have the natural feature of occasional buildings on the sides).

Hanuman
2014-09-10, 02:49 PM
Ah that makes more sense, I was trying to get RAW for a mechanic that augments terrain type:

Worldskin

Any squares with Worldskin in them up to 100' away from you are considered to be within your field.

Worldskin is an augmented terrain type, squares with worldskin have a very thin layer of biological matter covering them, this does not add or change the mechanics of the terrain nor conceal or inhibit other things. You may choose the texture, color and shape of worldskin whenever forming it.

As Swift Action you may change the terrain type of all the squares you occupy (or a portion of) into Worldskin.

Whenever sleeping or otherwise resting on worldskin you expand it's radius out from you 5' per minute.

If the ozodrin does not contact or if in her the worldskin physically every 24 hours it receeds at a rate between 5'/round and 5'/hour, to player and DM discression.

To remove worldskin from terrain treat it as a 1" thick layer of that terrain.

Worldskin terrain acts as though you have the Worldskin augment even when you don't, it is not supressed by your guise nor is the terrain removed when your augment is.

The mechanics are more of a discussion for the homebrew boards, but in terms RAW is terrain any non-object non-creature you move through, including buildings and vehicles? What if a creature is considered terrain?

Urpriest
2014-09-10, 02:51 PM
Ah that makes more sense, I was trying to get RAW for a mechanic that augments terrain type:

The mechanics are more of a discussion for the homebrew boards, but in terms RAW is terrain any non-object non-creature you move through, including buildings and vehicles? What if a creature is considered terrain?

Ships and Buildings probably count, creatures won't. For this sort of ability the important question to ask yourself is, could this thing be difficult terrain? Ships can certainly be, so can buildings, and so can the surface of the ocean. But a creature, while it can create difficult terrain, cannot itself be difficult terrain.

Hanuman
2014-09-10, 03:41 PM
Great response Ur, as always :smallsmile:

Hanuman
2014-09-10, 04:44 PM
Just to clarify, does difficult terrain only exist on the ground or can walls and ceilings be considered terrain as well?

Larrx
2014-09-10, 06:00 PM
Just to clarify, does difficult terrain only exist on the ground or can walls and ceilings be considered terrain as well?

Since spider climb is a thing, I would rule that vertical things (like the walls of buildings) and ceilings would count as terrain. I'm not sure if that's RAW, but I'm sure smarter people than I will be along shortly to confirm or deny.

nedz
2014-09-10, 08:46 PM
If it features in a square on the battle-map: it's terrain.

Alternatively: Terrain is anything which you move through — even clear air, if you are flying. Clear terrain is a thing.