PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Snow [PF] IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

RandomWombat
2014-09-10, 03:32 PM
The tula of the Himmiskan clan is still and tense; no more or less than usual, but in a different way. No longer is the energy in the air a result of the fear of skirmishes and invasions between their clan and the neighboring Drovos clan. This is a tension of anticipation and excitement, with a hint of relief. For after many years, the promise of an end to the stalemate has been made. Tomorrow, a contest is to be held in the no-man's land between the two clans' tulas, where five warriors of each clan will face one another to determine which is the victor. Some resent the possibility of becoming subservient to their long-time rivals, but they tire of constant fear and hate. And few would dare break the laws of Orlanth under which the contest is to be fought.

At the center of the tula lies the hall of celebrations, a large building used for feasts and festivals. Today it is a hall of preparations. Within are gathered the Clan Ring and their reining chief, Solomon, son of Levi. With them are the five warriors who are to represent Himmiskan come the morning light of the next day. All are seated at a large, lengthly table, loaded with food. Nothing terribly fancy, but plenty of filling and nutritious meat and produce. Evening light reaches in through the open, glassless windows. It is a calm evening, and no fingers of cold wind creep in to wrap themselves around the would-be heroes.

Solomon taps his mug against the table to call everyone present to attention. He stands to address those gathered. "Thank you all for answering my invitation tonight. Tomorrow is an important day for us all, and I would not see you five go to battle with empty stomachs." The man wears fur robes and a simple silver band around his head, holding back his long blond hair. A neatly trimmed and well-maintained beard hangs down from his chin, and soft green eyes watch those gathered from beneath thick eyebrows. Those soft eyes hide a hardy soul, as those present would know. In his one and only hand, Solomon raises his mug. "Feast to your strength, and take care not to overeat. Tomorrow we shall feast to your victory!" The other members of the clan ring give shouts (and more reserved vocalizations, in the case of some) of confirmation and raise their own mug in a toast.

The five warriors are an odd assortment. Each was selected by the Clan Ring they feast with now, for their respective strengths and talents. Looking to each of them, Solomon asks, "But first - are there any words our selected champions would like to speak? Perhaps introductions are in order, for those who have not yet met?"

Feel free to make your in-character introductions, everyone.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-10, 07:29 PM
A tall woman moves quickly to speak, her fair face framed with blonde hair just past her shoulders.

Solemnly, she says "I am Thordis, daughter of Ogmund. All know that to seek my favour and counsel is to receive victory in battle." Holding aloft a living hawk made of stone she continues "Stone itself shall aid us, and their weapons will not be as much help as they would like in such a contest."

Her face remains hard as she finishes abruptly with some irony in her voice, thinking Let us see what help a spy brings them with that report. Weapons to pierce magical protections will not do any good to one who cannot move, will they?

Quakes
2014-09-11, 10:59 AM
Though tall for a human, Thordis is dwarfed by the hulking creature that stands beside her, oversized mug in hand. He is not much for words, rather emitting a series of grunts that backs up her statements.

Mirka of the yetis stands with your clan, in support of our long friendship. We fight together, that all may benefit, and we will prevail.

BramsesII
2014-09-11, 01:35 PM
Among the five heroes sits one unlikely individual; a short - especially compared to the other warriors - red-haired, skinny young woman who has not yet seen 20 winters in her lifetime. She absentmindedly looks around as the others speak, tilting her mug sideways, almost spilling its contents in her lap. Her clothes would suggest she is a weaponthane, but she hardly looks the part. She yawns distractedly, her eyes drifting off to the ceiling. As they are about to close, she jolts upright, from the sensation of cold ale spilling into her lap. "Wha... Oh! Yes... Of course. I'm Alexis, daughter of Alec." She smiles sweetly at everyone gathered, far too sweetly for a seasoned warrior.

She puts her mug on the table and sits up straight. Her voice becomes solemn for a moment. "I offer my spear to the clan, as my father before me, and his father before him. Let our enemies tremble before us." A slight giggle, followed by a nervous cough. Her voice is normal again. "It's be an honor to be able to do so. I think."

Mathemagics
2014-09-11, 04:41 PM
Seated between the yeti and the stone-faced woman is a giant of a man. Seeing his opportunity to speak arrive, he quickly finishes draining the contents of his mug before slamming the cup down, causing the table beneath to shudder at the overenthusiastic use of force. As he stands and rises to his full height he seems to fill the room, a towering wall of muscle easily as massive as the taciturn yeti. He gazes out over the crowd, the evening light reflecting off steel gray eyes, and a genuinely pleased smile of excitement graces his features as he spreads his arms to address the assembly.

"Brothers and Sisters of the Clan! Many of you are know to Barr, as Barr is no doubt known to many of you! Tonight we have cause to celebrate, for upon the morning tomorrow we shall at last triumph over our old enemies, the Drovos, and have the peace we have fought so hard for! Rest assured that before the combined might of myself and these other fine champions the opposite shall fall. So swears Barr, son of Brand, called The Blessed!"

Prehysterical
2014-09-11, 09:41 PM
Sitting beside Alexis, trying not to get ale spilled into his lap, Yarl sits patiently at the table. His family's shield rests on the table before him, as is customary. He is shorter than most of the menfolk in the village, but he sits confidently in his chair.

He listens to the others' words, the wise and the foolish, before standing and banging his mug on his shield. The ringing is audible to everyone in the hall.

"I would speak!" While it is typical of Yarl to make his opinion known last, calling such attention to himself is almost unheard of. He lifts his shield up and holds it before him. He looks solemnly over the clan members present.

"Some of you may know me as Yarl. My father, Baldur, serves as a shieldthane.

No matter what happens tomorrow, win or lose, we must abide by the rules of this contest. Should we triumph, let there be no humiliation or dishonor piled on the Drovos. If, however, we fail in this task, there must be no revenge killings or talk of breaking faith. This hour shall be looked on by Orlanth and Humakt to finally settle our old feud. Let it end there." He clenches a fist to the swirling lightning bolt on his shield.

"May the gods watch over us tomorrow, for our swords will be doing the talking."

RandomWombat
2014-09-11, 10:33 PM
Standing in patient silence at the end of the long table, Solomon nods at each of their speeches - or comments - in turn. A few of the Ring Members stifle laughter at Alexis' accident with the mug, and the broad-shouldered man next to Solomon speaks. The man is Aldric, son of Levi, and brother to Solomon. He bears many similarities to his brother aside from a shorter beard and darker blond hair. "Are we certain this girl is our champion? She's so skinny she's gotten drunk without yet tasting the ale!" The comment's tone and the laugh that follows indicates that Aldric is joking, and has likely abandoned sobriety himself before even arriving.

"Take no offense, good lady, he only jests," Solomon confirms, just in case Alexis' typical confusion leads her to believe otherwise. "It was he who recommended you. Said the champions needed a bit more of a magical touch."

"Not a popular opinion," a glance is given to Hugo, a council member whose expression says he is not so thrilled by Alexis' presence. Hugo (an unimpressive man with a penchant for the color brown) is a vocal opponent of arcane magic and particularly that of dubious origin. "Matters of war are not always so clear-cut as we would like." Returning soon to his cheer, Aldric looks to the new speaker.

Next to the champions' end of the table is a man dressed in brilliant reds, golds, and purples. His clothes bear a checkerboard pattern that flows seamlessly from one garment to the next through special care, and his hat is a cone sticking up from his head. Filip the Trickster rings out in protest, "But listen to them talk! If the Levi-sons have their way we will be too busy speaking to eat before the sun comes up tomorrow!" Voice full of pretentiousness and unceremonious squealing, he earns a few looks of annoyance from his colleagues. Solomon, however, sets his mug down and nods.

"As a courtesy to our guests, I will keep my lengthy banter in check until the victory celebrations tomorrow - whomever that victory may celebrate," Solomon nods to Yarl. "Well said, son of Baldur. Now let us eat." The chief sits down. At that the other Ring Members begin to gather food upon their plates, passing portions back and forth down the table. There is still room to converse for those who wish to, be it calling across the table or murmuring to a neighbor. Those less inclined to speak simply enjoy the food that the bountiful temperate strip has graced them with.

Feel free to socialize with other player characters and NPCs. Once everyone has discussed what they want to and said their piece, I will move the scene along.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-12, 02:25 AM
Thordis gives a respectful nod to Mirka. She is stone faced when it comes to Alexis. There could be hidden power there. Or she could just bring ill luck. Still, she's the daugher of Alec, a respected weaponthane of which she has heard no ill. That is also what she thinks of the warriors who speak next. They are respected, and likely to strike deadly blows soon. Their part in this seems clear to her.

So, at table once she has gotten some food into her she seeks the attention of the red haired woman, then asks quietly "What do you need for the fight tomorrow if you are to strike down your enemies?"

BramsesII
2014-09-12, 02:31 PM
Alec is looking up at the ceiling, having drifted off during Yarl's introduction. She manages a small nod towards Solomon when she's addressed, but she quickly resumes her daydreaming. When Thordis suddenly speaks to her, she jumps slightly in her seat in surprise. Her head jerks in Thordis' direction, and she blurts out a response. "We'll have to put them out first..." She pauses, scrunching her eyebrows as she repeats her last phrase in her head.

"Did I say that out loud? Anyway..." She shakes her head, offering Thordis an apologetic smile. "I don't need much, really. I've got my spear, and my crossbow. Y'know, like a good weaponthane ought to." She leans in closer, her voice dropping to a whisper. "Between you and me, I'm not very good with them. I'll probably have to use my... uh... my gifts. Y'know. Magic." She leans back again, crossing her arms over her chest.

"That's all I need, really. And someone to keep hostile blokes with swords away from me. What about yourself?"

raspberrybadger
2014-09-12, 08:06 PM
Thordis replies, if possible even quieter "Whether they are close or far, I have what I need. One by one, I shall curse them. Are you willing to stab an opponent who cannot move?"

BramsesII
2014-09-13, 03:42 AM
Alec nods. "Sure. For the clan 'nd all that." She pauses for a moment, then leans over and whispers. "Plus, it's easier than stabbing a moving opponent."

She picks up her mug of ale, leaning back and taking a sip. She is momentarily distracted by the liquid still in it, staring at the bottom of her cup. Then, she looks back up at Thordis. "But what if they've got hounds?" She raises an eyebrow at her own comment, then shakes her head. "Nevermind. What about the others? Think they'll object?"

raspberrybadger
2014-09-13, 06:23 PM
Thordis simply replies "Such objections would not bring luck in a fight", staring as flatly as her voice. Trying to draw the yeti into the conversation, she turns to him and asks "In what way will you kill Drovos tomorrow?"

Quakes
2014-09-15, 11:54 AM
The snows care little whether you are asleep or awake when they bring their might upon you. A sleeping opponent is still an opponent, and will be dealt with as any other.

I can bring fire or the allies of nature to the battle tomorrow, whichever you all prefer. I know little about how humans fight. If they have hounds, as you say, perhaps my own hounds will be a counter.

Mathemagics
2014-09-15, 12:25 PM
"Hahaha! Don't worry your heads over tomorrow! Hounds or not, it makes little difference to Barr!"

The boisterous warrior drains another mug, which is slammed into the table in turn. While he waits for it to be refilled, he reaches for more food and shovels it down before continuing. His voice is filled with nothing but unadulterated confidence as he speaks.

"You bring your curses, stone-faced lass, and our yeti friend can bring his fire, but you'll all need to be quick--quicker than Barr's sword-edge if you want to claim any of the glory for yourselves, that is! Haha!"

Prehysterical
2014-09-15, 12:50 PM
Sipping mead from his mug, Yarl turns in his chair and says,

"Fine lot of good that sword-edge will do you if they have a skilled archer. Little glory in getting killed before you can clash blades. In a contest like this, I would use one if I was in their place.

Don't be afraid to let them use their magic. Remember, tomorrow is about winning, not your vain-glory." He says the last sentence firmly.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-16, 06:33 PM
Thordis is busy trying to work out what the Yeti can do. She sort of tunes Barr out, though she nods approvingly when Yarl emphasizes winning.

BramsesII
2014-09-17, 01:57 PM
The red-haired girl is staring up at the ceiling again, her mouth wordlessly moving, as if she's counting something. Perhaps there is something on the ceiling that has captured her interest. Perhaps not. She's oblivious to Barr's boasting, and only when Yarl speaks the word winning she seems to return to the world. She nods approvingly as she puts her mug back on the table. Or at least, that's what she thinks she does. Instead, she puts it next to the table and it drops to the floor. Unphased by this, she speaks.

"Winning. Yes. That's what we'll do. I'll uh... throw everything I have at them. Not literally of course. Figuratively."

Suddenly, as if realizing something, she looks at her hand and notices her mug is gone. A quick glance towards the table confirms that it is not there either. With a quick "Oops" she dives under the table to recover it, and after a few seconds she comes up again, holding up the now empty mug triumphantly, a look on her face that is somewhere in between victorious and embarrassed. "Don't worry. I got it!"

RandomWombat
2014-09-18, 11:55 AM
The meal continues with chatter amongst those present, and before long the sun has completed its descent from the sky. Thumping the bottom of the table to get everyone's attention, Alric nods to Solomon, who addresses the ring and champions. "I must regretfully cut short our feast this evening. Our chosen five must rest if they are to be at their best tomorrow, and I fear any more drink may leave them in ill come dawn." With that Solomon indicates one of the female members of the Clan Ring, who stands. "Marcivelle, daughter of Eetu, has an offer before we part."

"Thank you, Chief Solomon," Marcivelle nods politely to the chief before turning to look at the champions. The woman wears a softly colored light blue dress lined with furs to keep her warm, and her hair and eyes are the brown color of dried mud. Her voice is quiet. It holds a touch of nervousness and a tinge of sadness. "I know that many of you come from noble lineages yourselves, and have plentiful amenities of your own at home. For those who do not I can offer my own home. The least I can offer to those who fight for us is soft beds and a warm hearth. Seek me out after the feast if you wish." Having given her offer of hospitality, the quiet woman sits down once again.

"There is no more for me to say. I wish you a good night's rest, and fortune on the field of battle tomorrow. May the eyes of Orlanth look favorably upon you." And so the gathering is dismissed, and the members of the clan ring say their farewells as they go their separate ways for the night. Only Marcivelle and Solomon remain, the former waiting for anyone accepting her offer and the latter politely waiting to be last to leave. The clouds in the sky have grown thicker as the evening progressed, and now it has begun to rain. The steady drone of raindrops hitting the roof and windows permeates the feast hall.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-18, 01:26 PM
Thordis itches to get away and set up her tent, but refusing such hospitality would be unlucky. Telling herself that betrayal is if anything less likely in a well guarded house, she convinces herself to accept.

Once the gathering is dismissed, she seeks out Marcivelle and says "I accept your hospitality with thanks."

BramsesII
2014-09-18, 03:42 PM
When Solomon announces the end of the festivities, Alec mumbles something in protest. "But I didn't have any... Only one sip..." She looks sad for a moment, but somehow she quickly cheers up again staring at something that only she can see.

For a good while, Alec keeps her gaze fixed on the same point in space, but when everyone except Solomon, Marcivelle, and the heroes have left, she follows Thordis to speak to Marcivelle. Smiling brightly, she adresses the woman.
"Uh... hi. I think you were offering accomodations, right? I'm afraid I'll have to decline. My father'd be livid if I didn't spend the night before battle in his home. He'll say it's bad luck or something. And he's a weaponthane, of course. He knows about battle." She nods sagely before glancing aside (and up) at Thordis.

"G'night, miss."

She turns around to the other three.

"And to you three as well. We'll be all rested tomorrow and we'll win this fight." A bright smile appears on her face yet again and she stands there while the others speak.

Then, she turns around, pulling the hood on her cloak over her head as she walks towards the door to head home. Well then. Father'll be pleased, I think. Hope he's not going to give me a two hour speech about how I should fight. I need to be rested tomorrow, no time for long speeches. Maybe I can distract him with an illusion of something... Raccoons raiding the pantry. Silent, deadly, raiding raccoons wielding sticks. That should work. Yes, I think I'll do just that. She nods and makes her way home, a determined sort of spring in her step.

Quakes
2014-09-18, 04:28 PM
The yeti politely declines Marcivelle's offer. Soft beds would be strange for me, and my clan likely has words to share with me regarding tomorrow's contest. It would be good to know what omens the elders have read in the skies and snow. I will gladly join you in breaking our fast before the contest. He determines to find some small token to offer her for her hospitality, some piece of art that his clanmates have fashioned perhaps.

Mathemagics
2014-09-19, 12:31 PM
"My thanks for your hospitality lass, but Barr shall not have need to intrude upon you or your home tonight!"

Barr looks towards the other champions one by one, before giving them a collective nod and heading for home.

"Tomorrow then, brothers and sisters in arms!"

Prehysterical
2014-09-19, 07:59 PM
Alec seems like a nice lass. That makes it hard for Yarl to say what needs to be said.

He takes a few steps forward to look her in the eye and says, "I don't know if your attention is usually this far-gone, but let me make something clear for you: five people will try to kill us tomorrow. Cleaning up ale spills is easier than your own blood as an enemy runs you through when you aren't looking. For the love of the gods, we need you to be focused tomorrow. We're all depending on you, and my shield can only be in so many places."

With that, Yarl heads home to his own family. He has no doubt that they will wish to pray to their ancestors and the gods to keep his armor strong against the Drovos' blades.

RandomWombat
2014-09-20, 02:40 AM
"It seems it will be only the two of us, then," Marcivelle forces a smile, despite looking rather somber. She is known for being more withdrawn since the death of her husband, but Thordis can tell something more is bothering her. The former Volsagi leads Thordis through the wet, muddy town at the center of the tula. In the distance, the wooden fortifications surrounding the Himmiskan tula can be seen, night watchmen with torches patrolling the perimeter. Many of the nobles' homes are near the center of the town, and so are close to the feast hall. The two women do not have far to walk in the rain. Upon arriving, Marcivelle opens the door and allows Thordis in, following quietly.

The Ring Member's home is a two-story house of simple wooden construction, as most of the buildings are save for military ones, and the wooden windows are already latched shut for the night. The first floor contains a living area with a wooden rocking chair and a deck of cards lying on a small table. Two cushions rest on the floor near the card table, and one looks dusty, as though it has not been touched in a long time. The other half of the first floor holds an entrance to a small cellar - where perishables are stored to keep them cool - and the amenities to cook and consume food. That is, a stove and a wooden table with a few chairs. Everything in Marcivelle's home is of fine quality, covered in decorative markings and designs that a craftsman no doubt spent weeks or even months painstakingly carving from simple blocks of wood. Marcivelle lights a lantern resting on the table.

"I have prepared the two guest rooms on the second floor. I will show you to them, and you can choose the one you prefer," the quiet voice would easily be lost in the pounding of the rain, if Marcivelle were not directly beside Thordis. "But..." The woman seems as though she wants to tell Thordis something, but is reluctant. After a deep breath, Marcivelle speaks slowly in a more solid tone, "I suspect there is a spy in the Clan Ring. I was afraid to confide in anyone, but you are a woman of the wild. I think I can trust you. Can I?" Marcivelle turns and looks Thordis in the eyes. It is clear now what troubled the woman earlier.

There are no stars out tonight. The clouds pouring cold water down on Alec's cloak and face make certain of it. The sky feels terribly empty without all of the shining dots scattered across the blackness. Even so the lights in the windows of her family's home are easy to see in the dark. A small, single story home, containing two bedrooms and a main room, with a small cellar below. The furnishings are simpler than most - Alec the Old has the simple tastes of a career soldier. When Alexis arrives her mother has already retired to bed, but her father sits at the kitchen table waiting for her. Alec stands to greet his daughter, "Home already, are you?"

The few yeti who live among the Himmiskan are provided a simple longhouse near the fortified wall around the tula near the barracks used by the watchmen. The simple building suits the yeti just fine, many used to living in cold caves further north. Its proximity to the training area for new weaponthanes gives the yeti a place to keep active. The sedentary lifestyle of humans often leaves the large creatures restless.

It takes Mirka some time to traverse the tula, of course. While walking through the muddy streets the yeti passes very few people out and about. This makes the person he spots stand out - a small figure down a street out of the yeti's intended course who trips in the mud and falls to the ground. From the size it can only be be a child, a midget, or a kobold. The heavy camouflaged cloak they're wearing rules out a child and the long face rules out a midget.

For Barr the road home is uneventful. As a weaponthane of note he possesses a home of his own separate from his family's, albeit a small single-story house for one person. It is from this home that the great warrior will build his legend.

Since Barr's family wasn't touched on much in his backstory, I didn't want to assume anything about them and placed him in a separate house. Barr's home can be furnished with anything feasibly available to him as you wish. I also apologize for the briefness of Barr's part of the post. Only he and Alec failed the Perception check to notice the figure (everyone who didn't go with Marcivelle received one).

The house of Yarl's father, and his father before him, rests especially near to the feast hall. Baldur being weaponthane and bodyguard to the chief he lives in a smaller house in the area normally reserved for nobles, that his charge may be located readily. Above the door to the abode sits a decorative shield bearing the symbol of Orlanth, a more ornate - if aged - shield than Yarl's own. This shield belonged to his grandfather and was wielded by the first dedicated shieldthane and bodyguard of the clan chief. Before he can enter and feel the warmth of the hearth however, Yarl sees further down the road a small figure fall in the mud and rain.

Prehysterical
2014-09-20, 01:05 PM
Yarl feels a certain pride, but also weight of expectation, as he regards his old family shield.

He is interrupted in his musing, however, by the sight of the small figure in the road. Yarl hurries over to help the small figure up.

"Are you all right?"

raspberrybadger
2014-09-20, 03:56 PM
Thordis turns to meet her eyes and says in an even softer voice "You can trust me. A spy is unlucky for all - even more for himself. A spy in the Clan Ring was unknown to me, but my words today were such as would lead a spy on a false course. What do you ask of me?"

Quakes
2014-09-20, 11:43 PM
Mirka detours down the alleyway to help the kobold stand and brush the snow off his cloak. He asks in draconic: Are you alright?

RandomWombat
2014-09-21, 12:09 PM
The yeti and shieldthane approach the small figure from different angles, each with the same thought of helping up someone who'd fallen. Before they can reach the kobold, however, it is up on its feet and fleeing down another muddy dirt street. Whoever it is does not seem interested in their help.

Marcivelle takes a seat at the house's main table and offers another chair to her guest. "I began to suspect something about a week ago, when Solomon began negotiations for this contest. One night I remained behind at the meeting of the Clan Ring after we had dispersed, for I had misplaced my wedding ring." The woman absently rubs a gold ring she wears, set with a bright red gemstone. "When I left I did not go home. I went instead to the tavern, for the panic of losing my ring had left me in need of some mead to calm my nerves. On the way I saw two people out at night, speaking to one another in a sheltered corner between two buildings. They were barely visible in the shadows and I only saw them because of the particular angle of the street I was on."

Taking a breath before she continues, Marcivelle tries to recall the exact details. "One of them was short, with a long face. A kobold. The other was tall and well-built. I think it may have been Aldric, chief Solomon's brother. You see now why I was so reluctant to make this accusation, yes? I dared not try to eavesdrop on them for fear of being noticed. Nonetheless I've gone to the tavern after the meetings every few nights since, and every night the two were speaking in their meeting place."

BramsesII
2014-09-21, 02:57 PM
There are no stars out tonight. The clouds pouring cold water down on Alec's cloak and face make certain of it. The sky feels terribly empty without all of the shining dots scattered across the blackness. Even so the lights in the windows of her family's home are easy to see in the dark. A small, single story home, containing two bedrooms and a main room, with a small cellar below. The furnishings are simpler than most - Alec the Old has the simple tastes of a career soldier. When Alexis arrives her mother has already retired to bed, but her father sits at the kitchen table waiting for her. Alec stands to greet his daughter, "Home already, are you?"

The absence of stars frightens Alec. Normally, she'd take her sweet time getting home; daydreaming as she gazed into the sky only to find herself on the completely wrong side of the settlement after two hours of wandering around. The absence of glittering lights makes her feel nervous. A bad omen. I hope this doesn't mean we're going to lose tomorrow. I'd hate to let father down. I'd hate to let the clan down. And the loser probably dies. I'd hate to see those nice heroes die. They seem like good people, if a bit stern. Well, the lady, and the shieldthane. And the yeti. They seemed very serious. We can't lose. They'd die. Waaaaait a minute... If we lose, I'd die too. That's... not a good prospect. Let's think of something happier. Bunnies! Lost in thought she almost runs into the door of her house. She only remembers to open it before walking in at the last possible second.

Alec is not surprised to see the old Alec - her father - still sitting at the table waiting for her. She bows respectfully when the old man stands up, and she answers his question with a slight smile. "Yes, father. I need to be well-rested for the fight tomorrow. Has mother already retired to bed?" She waits for him to answer her question before continuing. The walk home has made doubt creep into Alec's mind though, and she fires several questions at her father. Nervously, she speaks: "Do you have any advice for me? Have you ever fought in something like this? Do you have any idea what I'm to expect? What happens to the side who loses the fight?"

Prehysterical
2014-09-21, 04:19 PM
Yarl spots Mirka at the same time as the kobold takes off. Regarding the yeti with surprise at this unexpected development, he takes off after the small figure.

"Stop! Why are you running?"

raspberrybadger
2014-09-21, 09:06 PM
Thordis replies "That does have the sound of some treachery. At what do they aim?"

Quakes
2014-09-22, 10:35 AM
Perhaps he was just embarrassed that he fell. I would pursue to give what aid we can, but he seemed to be unharmed and there are matters tomorrow that impact the entire province, kobolds included.

Mirka looks around quickly to see if there is anything to indicate why the kobold would have fallen or any signs that he was injured. If not, he will dismiss the episode in favor of resting for tomorrow's competition.

perception: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-09-23, 01:51 AM
The elder Alec pulls out another chair and offers the seat to his daughter, "Yes, she was much too tired to stay awake, though she tried." Once the younger Alec is seated, her father returns to his own seat and sits down to listen to her other questions. His grey hair has a few dull strands of red in it, hanging from his balding head. Only a thin beard rests upon his chin. He wears clothing similar to Alexis' own, that of a weaponthane's home attire, though he is no longer the fighter he once was.

"A contest in the name of Orlanth is not typically to the death. Not intentionally, at least. The clan does not wish to lose valuable warriors, after all. Combatants are to fight until unconsciousness or surrender. Healers are kept on the sidelines to remove anyone critically injured," the old man explains, "In combat I can only remind you to keep in mind everything I have taught you. And do not be afraid to use your... gifts. They are a unique advantage." Though his tone of voice suggests he disapproves of magic, Alec takes care not to offend.

The yeti fails to spot anything indicating that the kobold was injured. There is a patch of deep mud that the small creature likely stumbled on, falling to the ground. The ground is soft and the only injuries the kobold would have are to its pride - and its clothing.

Yarl does not drop the incident so quickly and gives chase. Keeping place with the kobold, he manages to maintain sight of it through the dark of the night. Abruptly the little lizard pulls open the windows of a house and climbs inside, slamming the wooden window shutters behind it. The shieldthane still receives no reply.

Before the warrior can prepare to rest for the night, he is interrupted as a cloaked kobold soaked in rain and coated in mud leaps into his window and slams it shut. The kobold turns to Barr and looks panicked for a moment, then spouts out in a harsh almost-whisper: "Help! A robber, they are trying to rob me. They are chasing me now." It is clear to Barr that the kobold is lying, as the creature is acting more panicked than its demeanor would suggest - its eyes are calmly scanning the room for escape routes, and a hand hovers at its side as though ready to grab a hidden weapon. This is a trained individual, not a panicked civilian.

Barr makes a natural 20 on his offscreen Sense Motive check, easily surpassing the kobold's terrible Bluff check..

"I - I am afraid I do not know their aims or whom the kobold represents. I was curious, and worried, but could not work up the courage to approach and listen in,0" looking down in shame, Marcivelle clearly regrets failing to defend her home in the face of treachery. Her eyes suddenly brighten though - "If we move quickly, we may catch them at the meeting place, if they are meeting tonight. With you there..."

raspberrybadger
2014-09-23, 12:16 PM
Thordis smiles and replies ...then it will not go so well for them.

Then, the blonde woman nods and moves to follow quickly.

Mathemagics
2014-09-23, 12:32 PM
Before the warrior can prepare to rest for the night, he is interrupted as a cloaked kobold soaked in rain and coated in mud leaps into his window and slams it shut. The kobold turns to Barr and looks panicked for a moment, then spouts out in a harsh almost-whisper: "Help! A robber, they are trying to rob me. They are chasing me now." It is clear to Barr that the kobold is lying, as the creature is acting more panicked than its demeanor would suggest - its eyes are calmly scanning the room for escape routes, and a hand hovers at its side as though ready to grab a hidden weapon. This is a trained individual, not a panicked civilian.

Barr makes a natural 20 on his offscreen Sense Motive check, easily surpassing the kobold's terrible Bluff check..[/SPOILER]

"Oho, is that so? Well that sounds most distressing indeed!"

Despite his somewhat jovial and unconcerned tone in voice, the giant warrior moves to quickly cross the space towards the intruder. Then with a sudden burst in speed, lunges at him.

"But you should know better than to try lying to Barr, little kobold!"

Attempting to grapple the kobold. As Barr lacks improved grapple, this provokes an AoO but the kobold should only be able to punch unless he can draw a hidden weapon as a free action somehow.

Grapple attempt! [roll0]

BramsesII
2014-09-23, 01:11 PM
The elder Alec pulls out another chair and offers the seat to his daughter, "Yes, she was much too tired to stay awake, though she tried." Once the younger Alec is seated, her father returns to his own seat and sits down to listen to her other questions. His grey hair has a few dull strands of red in it, hanging from his balding head. Only a thin beard rests upon his chin. He wears clothing similar to Alexis' own, that of a weaponthane's home attire, though he is no longer the fighter he once was.

"A contest in the name of Orlanth is not typically to the death. Not intentionally, at least. The clan does not wish to lose valuable warriors, after all. Combatants are to fight until unconsciousness or surrender. Healers are kept on the sidelines to remove anyone critically injured," the old man explains, "In combat I can only remind you to keep in mind everything I have taught you. And do not be afraid to use your... gifts. They are a unique advantage." Though his tone of voice suggests he disapproves of magic, Alec takes care not to offend.

The young woman smiles, obviously reassured by the fact that the fights are normally not to the death. Right. It's not to the death. That makes a lot more sense. Yes. For once, she quietly listens to her father's advice without drifting off to count the beams on the ceiling or to dream of flying among the evening stars. She nods when he mentions her gifts. "I'll remember everything you taught me, father. And I'll be sure to use my gifts uh... honorably. If that's at all possible." She chooses her words with as great a care as can be expected of the young girl. Alexis is quite aware of her father's disapproval of her gifts, but she knows he knows that she was chosen for this honor precisely because of her gifts. She offers him a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry father. We'll win. The others seem quite formidable, and with my training... and my gift... to assist them we'll be a force to be reckoned with."

Prehysterical
2014-09-24, 04:28 PM
Growing angry at chasing what is likely a thief, Yarl rushes to the front door of the house and begins pounding his fist on it.

"Open up, in the name of the chief!"

RandomWombat
2014-09-25, 09:58 PM
Marcivelle leads Thordis outside, and guides the way through the streets back towards the central feast hall. The rain is starting to die down now, but the ground remains muddy, and wet dirt splashes up with each step.

Lunging at the kobold, Barr finds the kobold lunging back with surprising readiness, biting into Barr's arm with sharp teeth. Even as his arms wrap around the kobold and trap it in an iron grip, a numbing cold spreads from the pinpoints where the teeth sunk in. The kobold uses the moment of distraction to deftly wriggle free and grab a vial of green liquid from its belt. There is a loud banging at the door and a familiar voice shouts to let him in.

Barr takes 3 damage from the kobold's teeth, and 6 cold damage from the aftereffect.

The kobold succeeds an Escape Artist check to break the grapple.

There is no immediate response to Yarl's shouts, but he can hear Barr's typical taunts and boasts accompanied with the sound of a struggle. It is then that he realizes whose whom the kobold fled into.

The normally stoic and grumpy old man cracks the slightest of smiles, and stands, moving around the table. Alexis finds her father embracing her, "I know you will win. I have to trust that you will, or it would drive me mad not knowing." The hug is interrupted by the sound of muffled yelling and banging from the home across from theirs'. Letting go, Alec stands and looks towards the door, reaching instinctively for the hammer that is not at his belt. "Damn. I must retrieve my weapon, it sounds as though something is happening." Rushing into his and his wife's bedroom, he leaves Alexis in the main room of the house.

The yeti has not yet grown too far away, and he can hear Yarl's authoritative shouting in the quiet of the night. No doubt many irate neighbors hear it as well.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-26, 01:24 AM
Thordis follows, unhappy at the noise of her own footsteps. Someone could be watching or listening. Still, that means she can hear their footsteps too.

OOC: Perception [roll0]. She'll continue in silence until she gets to the meeting place if she doesn't hear anything suspicious like footsteps following or treasonous conversation. I don't expect anything, but Thordis is paranoid.

Quakes
2014-09-26, 10:34 AM
Mirka heads towards the commotion, hoping to calm down Yarl so he doesn't get his head smashed in by an angry housewife whose children he wakes up with his yelling.

Prehysterical
2014-09-26, 11:51 AM
The sounds of struggle inside make it clear that the fugitive is putting up some kind of fight. Readying his shield, Yarl opens the door and bursts into the room.

(In the event that the door is locked, here's a Strength check to get in: [roll0]

BramsesII
2014-09-26, 03:35 PM
Alec smiles widely back at her father after the embrace. "Thanks father. We'll win for sure now."

The sounds coming from outside cause Alexis to look behind her, wondering what's going. When her father rushes off to retrieve his weapon, Alexis turns towards the door, picking up her weapons and opening it to have a look outside. Weird.... I wonder what's going on out there...

Mathemagics
2014-09-26, 07:14 PM
Barr tilts his head slightly towards the noises at his door, though does not allow his gaze to shift from the intruding kobold as a smile spreads across his face despite his wound. Being sure to keep the offender locked firmly within his sights, he shouts out a reply.

"Ah, is that you Yarl? Excellent timing! Presumably you are the one who frightened this kobold enough to make it leap through my window? Then you can make amends by helping catch it!"

Heedless of the kobold's teeth, Barr lunges forward once again to try and capture the diminutive reptilian.

(Also the door isn't locked unless DM says so, Barr has no need for such flimsy defenses!)
Grapple time! [roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-09-26, 09:48 PM
Marcivelle slows down so that Thordis catches up beside her and mentions aside, "It might be difficult to go unnoticed. Just act as though we are going about our business and hopefully they will pay us no mind, as before."

Striding forward with a gait both lazy and purposeful, as someone not in a rush to do what they're doing, the woman carries on. Not long after Thordis can see a large figure leaning against the wall of a building and watching the road, as if waiting for someone. It is difficult to make out much in the dark, but they clearly have blond hair and a beard.

Thordis may make a Bluff check to act disinterested in the man, unless she plans on confronting him immediately.

Yarl easily barges through the unlocked door and finds Barr locked in a grapple with the kobold, who is trying to get loose and use some manner of potion in its hand. Snapping ineffectually at Barr, the kobold is gripped at an awkward position this time and cannot get purchase with its teeth. Barely managing to wriggle out of the headlock, the bipedal lizard reaches back and opens the window. It seems it plans to climb back out and make a run for it.

The kobold's AoO misses this time, but it once again succeeds its Escape Artist check.

Mirka arrives at the road outside of Barr's house, door wide open and shouting can be heard from inside, along with a window being thrown open. Not long after the door to Alexis' family's house opens across the way, the girl wandering out and looking confused. She is joined at the door by her father, an elderly man carrying a warhammer in both hands. He wastes no time cautiously approaching the door to the house the racket is coming from.

Prehysterical
2014-09-26, 10:15 PM
Oh no, you don't.

Bolting back out the door, drawing his sword as he does so, Yarl positions himself before the window. If the kobold comes out of the window, the shieldthane will be ready.
(If there is time, Yarl will actually block the window with his shield. If that doesn't stop the kobold from escaping, that will at least make it harder.)

raspberrybadger
2014-09-27, 12:49 PM
Thordis would usually confront the man immediately, but she thinks it would be disrespectful to Marcivelle to act as she normally would. Instead, she tries to walk casual. She doesn't really expect that to work, but she's giving it a good try.

OOC:
Bluff [roll]1d20+1[roll]

BramsesII
2014-09-28, 03:55 PM
Alec steps out into the street cautiously, immediately followed by her father. As the old man moves to the door, Alexis looks around, her hands clutching tightly around her spear. She is momentarily distracted when she spots the yeti arriving at the door as well. She begins to wave happily at him before remembering herself, and her expression becomes serious again.

I wonder what's in there. Could be just a domestic disturbance. Could be kobold attacks. OR it could be a crazed conjurer summoning monstrous entities from some place nobody should ever see. Monsters with gaping maws that can summon a man whole. Beasts that drive you mad just by looking at them. Spiders the size of horses with the heads of two wolves. Despite herself, Alec shudders.

Since her father is already at the door, she decides to stay a few paces behind him, afraid of what may come out of the door. In her mind's eye she sees the words of a spell forming, in letters that sparkle like the now absent stars in the sky. Pushing away the momentary mental intrusion, she shakes her head and peers over towards her father. She readies her spear in case existential horrors come pouring out when the door opens. I hope it's not something with lots of tentacles and many heads.

Mathemagics
2014-09-29, 11:50 AM
Seeing that Yarl is moving to block one of the kobold's routes of retreat, Barr moves to reach for his sword and positions himself between the small home-invader and the doorway as he draws the long blade.

"This is your last chance now, Kobold. Surrender or we shall be forced to get rough with you!"

Quakes
2014-09-29, 01:20 PM
Mirka peeks in the window, seeing the kobold from earlier that refused their help now cornered in a house that is clearly not his. Hmmn. What's he doing in there? I think he owes us some answers.

BramsesII
2014-09-29, 04:35 PM
Cautiously, Alec follows Mirka to peek in through the window while her father is moving towards the door. When the yeti seems undisturbed by whatever eldritch sights he sees inside, she takes a look for herself. Phew... no walls oozing blood and pus... no turned inside-out goats... just a kobold. She nods determinedly at Mirka's comment and echoes it with one of her own. "Indeed he does. I'd like to know just what he thinks he's doing."

She turns her head to look at the progress her father is making with the door...

RandomWombat
2014-09-29, 11:33 PM
As the two women pass by, the man in the corner watches them. He immediately moves away from the wall and starts making his way down a different street. Marcivelle stops despite herself and looks hesitant. She whispers, "He caught on. Should we confront him directly? ... What if he's armed? Certainly he looks the part of a warrior." Her earlier confidence was clearly either a mask, or was shaken since the two left her home.

Pausing in its briefly triumphant climb out the window, the Kobold stops short of downing the green liquid. Outside the window are a yeti, a heavily armored man with a sword, and a girl with a spear. An older man with a hammer rushes into the door, and even before that is the bulkier man, now arming himself as well. More doors open on the street outside as people look out to see what the disturbance is.

Needless to say, the kobold's morale is thoroughly broken. The potion is slowly stowed back on its belt, and it steps down from the window sill. An examination of the room reveals no other viable escape routes. Looks like the jig is up. "Ah, yes. No need for trouble." Hands held up to indicate itself as unarmed, the kobold stands silently. No doubt attempting to come up with some excuse. "I am... I am out for a walk, and I see them running up. Thought it was robbers." Pointing at Yarl and Mirka, it seemed the kobold was sticking to its previous story.

"So what exactly is going on here?" the older man inquires from the door. "I'd feared there was a surprise attack by the Drovos. This is not the case?"

"No, no, I am not Drovos-" the kobold is about to elaborate before stopping itself from saying more.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-30, 02:39 PM
Thordis perceives that the woman wants Thordis to confront this man, but doesn't want to make the decision now that it comes to it. Force alone will solve this: she follows him and calls on the spirits to take him down.

OOC: Assuming he's close enough, move action towards him and then sleep hex, DC 16 wil save or be put to sleep.

Quakes
2014-09-30, 03:16 PM
Robbers coming to help a man fallen in the snow? I would have kicked you down instead of offering a hand up. And you would have called on our friend inside for help, instead of putting your teeth in his arm. No, friend. You will tell us what you're about if you would see your own bed tonight instead of the floor of the prison.

BramsesII
2014-09-30, 03:32 PM
Alec follows Mirka inside, standing between the yeti and her father. She nods sternly as Mirka speaks before addressing the kobold herself.

"I'd listen to him if I were you. He's not bluffing. So hurry up and tell us what you're up to. Tell us everything."

Prehysterical
2014-10-03, 12:10 PM
"Lying will only make it harder on yourself. Speak the truth, now."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-10-04, 12:30 PM
Looking back and forth between the many people surrounding it, the kobold reluctantly explains, "I am from Tyros. I came here to meet a friend. Our clans are far from friends-"

"Far from friends? Tyros sold out the rest of us to the White Dragon just to be its favorite pets and enforcers," Alec the Old gruffly interrupts. "This ice lizard is here to spy on us."

The kobold shakes its head and vehemently rebuffs the suggestion, "No! I am not spying. Not on Himmiskan. I was hired to spy for someone here."

The man begins to take off once he hears Thordis following, but before he can speed up he finds himself passing out and falling into the mud. Marcivelle reluctantly comes up beside Thordis. "I... that is one way to do it. What do we do now? I mean, besides checking who he is." The woman approaches the unconscious man and kneels down. Thordis hears her gasp audibly.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-04, 09:40 PM
Thordis is a little oblivious to the emotional overtones, saying "If a clear spy, I should cover his head and hold a spear to his throat while you demand that he reveal what he has been doing here. If not, as he wakes up from the blur of sleep, we stand nearby and you ask him what is happening. Which is it?"

Only then does she look at the man, checking to see what weapons or papers he has.

BramsesII
2014-10-05, 04:05 AM
Alec crosses her arms, a suspicious look on her face. The effect of seriousness that she was trying to achieve is undermined by the fact that the spear she was holding clatters to the ground as she lets go of it to cross her arms. Undeterred, she glares at the kobold.

"Who are you spying for, then? And who are you spying on? If you're spying on someone else, shouldn't you be in their encampment?"

RandomWombat
2014-10-07, 09:43 PM
Upon kneeling to examine the man and turning him over, Thordis finds that it is not Aldric - it is chief Solomon himself. He wears a thick, durable hide cloak that effectively doubles as armor and carries an alchemical silver longsword at his side. While once a powerful warrior specializing in two-handed weapons, the chief's lost arm forced him to practice with single-handed weaponry. He has no documents or notes on him to suggest he was delivering them.

"I don't know what to say," the woman standing above her states in disbelief. "I didn't think he had anything like this in him. Perhaps I was wrong? We should speak with him, before jumping to more conclusions." Marcivelle suggests hesitantly.

"For you! On the Volsagi. They are building military, preparing something. I came to deliver a report. Troop numbers, movements, that sort of thing," taking out some parchment, the kobold holds it up to Alexis. "Your chief, he is worried. Wants to be ready."

"Why would he trust this to a groveling Tyros worm?" Alec snaps in retort.

"You-" the kobold looks insulted, but promptly decides against ranting or arguing further upon recalling the old soldier's hammer. Instead it declares, "Tyros, we are always watching for the Wyrm. If I get caught Volsagi thinks nothing, does not want to anger dragon. If your spy gets caught they know you know. No good. That's why chief hires me instead to spy."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-08, 01:53 AM
Thordis thinks quickly, and she is not deterred from jumping to conclusions in her head: It may be he was arranging to meet another woman. Only a fool gets between a couple in a case like that. So she says out loud "That would be wise. I shall make sure none others listen." She then sets about a quick look around the immediate area in what little time there is before Solomon wakes.

Prehysterical
2014-10-08, 08:56 AM
Yarl didn't want to believe what the kobold was saying, but the story that it told was too incredible to be anything but the truth. He sheathes his sword, but keeps a firm grip on his shield.

"What did the chief promise you? Why does Tyros care about this?"

BramsesII
2014-10-08, 03:56 PM
Alec's expression relaxes somewhat, and as there are plenty of people grilling the kobold for information she takes the time to pick up the spear she just dropped. She lazily leans on her weapon as she stares up at the ceiling, thinking about the upcoming fight and leather gloves lined with seal fur for reasons unknown.

Quakes
2014-10-08, 05:36 PM
Mirka reads the parchment over Alexis' shoulder, trying to determine from its contents whether the kobold is legitimate.

RandomWombat
2014-10-12, 10:30 PM
The small nook they are in is set between two houses, with one of the homes extending into the alley halfway down, thinning it further. Chief Solomon had been leaning on the wall in the corner of the extension and appeared to be waiting for someone. The streets are empty and quiet, and the rain has slowed to a gentle drizzle. It takes little time for the chief to begin to sir, and Marcivelle backs up nervously. Quickly the large man sits up and reaches for his sword, looking up at the two figures in the dark. "Who is it? Robbers? Wait - Marcivelle? And you? What are you two doing?" Solomon's gaze shifts between the Ring Member and the stone spirit medium.

"We mistook you for a -" Marcivelle chokes on her speech and coughs, glancing at Thordis. "A spy. I've seen you meeting here in secret. I thought it was your brother, but it seems I was mistaken."

"A spy? Why would I be a spy? I am the clan chief!" the chief attempts to stand, unless Thordis decides to stop him.

"Your chief expects Volsagi to attack before Himmiskan and Drovos can recover from their feud. Feared Clan Ring would reject working with one of Tyros and hired me personally," taking out a handful of gold and silver coins, the kobold indicates them. "Times are not good. I needed work so I agreed."

The documents detail Volsagi increasing their military training. Able-bodied men of the fyrd are being given increased training and better equipment, and younger males are being recruited.

BramsesII
2014-10-13, 11:57 AM
Alexis snaps out of her daydream for a moment. She looks at her father, then at the kobold, and finally at Mirka, who is looking at the parchment from over her shoulder. "So... wait. Let me get this straight. Volsagi are building an army? I thought we were fighting the Drovos tomorrow..." She trails off, shaking her head. Then, suddenly, she turns her attention to the kobold again. "Uh... do you know who they're planning to attack first? And when are they planning to attack?"

Quakes
2014-10-13, 12:36 PM
We should get this to your chief immediately.

RandomWombat
2014-10-13, 03:15 PM
The kobold shakes his head. "No. Just that they are preparing to attack someone. Very soon, they are working fast."

"The contest tomorrow will have the entirety of Drovos' and Himmiskan's leadership in one place. I am reluctant to accept this snake's words, but if the Volsagi are preparing to attack it would be an ideal time to cut off the heads of both clans," the elder warrior lowers his hammer hesitantly and furrows his brow in worry. He rests the head of the hammer on the floor and holds it in place with one hand, then rubs his shoulder with the other. Alexis can tell his bones are aching - an unfortunate side effect of old age. "A decisive opening move. You said you were hired by the chief, so you must have been delivering these reports. I think we need to make that delivery and have words with him."

"I could take you there. It is not far."

Alec's gaze turns to the street outside, where neighbors awoken by the commotion are starting to wander over. He sighs heavily, "There will be panic and outrage if word of this gets out. I will go assure our clanmates that the commotion here is settled." He places a hand on Alexis' shoulder. "I trust you and your companions to do what is right." Lifting the hammer with both hands again he makes his way outside and begins sending the half-asleep wanderers back to their homes.

BramsesII
2014-10-13, 04:13 PM
Alec nods as her father speaks, a serious expression on her face. "We'll go speak to the chief, I think. And tomorrow we'll win that fight. That's what's right, right?" She looks at her fellow warriors to gauge their reactions.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-13, 04:39 PM
Thordis lets the man rise. It's not like she's going to kill him, so if there's no one else around there's nothing to do but to let this conversation go where it will.

Prehysterical
2014-10-14, 05:23 PM
Yarl nods at Alec's words.

"Aye, we'll speak to the chief. But if what he says is true, the contest tomorrow may be the least of our problems. You will accompany us, Tyros. Keep yourself civil, and no harm will come to you."

RandomWombat
2014-10-16, 09:23 PM
Chief Solomon stands and brushes some of the mud off of himself with an irate expression. "I am here meeting someone, but I am not a spy."

"My apologies, chief, I - the idea there may be a traitor about just before the contest, I felt it called for action," stepping back and lowering her gaze, Marcivelle tries not to offend the chief. He just shakes his head and sighs.

"I suppose I was asking for it. The spirit of your actions were in the right place," the man's irate expression fades somewhat as he scans the area again. "Though I fear something may have befallen the one I came here to meet. Did either of you see any kobolds on the way here?" Marcivelle indicates to the negative and looks to Thordis inquiringly.

With positive replies, the kobold peeks outside to make sure Alec has cleared out the curious neighbors and gestures for the group to follow. "Is a walk yet. This way." To its credit, the tiny lizardman does not bolt at the first chance given and waits for the others to follow.

The path everyone is led on takes them to the other side of the central hall. The rain outside has become softer and mud still covers the ground.

Shortly, Thordis can see a large group moving through the street towards where she is.

Everyone else sees a few figures ahead.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-17, 12:14 PM
"I have not seen one."

BramsesII
2014-10-17, 03:17 PM
As they make their way to their destination, young Alec is preoccupied, looking up at the stars. Her mind is racing with possibilities. So. The Volsagi are planning to attack. On the day of the battle with Drovos, no less. Daring. I wonder how they'll accomplish that. No way they're going to attack both us and Drovos straight on. They'll have some sort of diversionare tactic. Seals on horses. That'd be... Alec nearly trips over an awkwardly jutting rock on the ground, momentarily interrupting her train of thought. She drops her spear again, which lands in the mud with a soft thud.

After picking it up, her mind picking up where it left off. Seals on horses. That has to be it. And while our warriors are investigating where these weird seals come from, the Volsagi will strike! Not on horseback, of course. The seals are on their horses. They'll probably be riding sheep into battle. Cows are too docile. I don't think they've tamed wolves yet, and pigs... the stench would give them away... Perhaps... She bumps into the back of Mirka, the group having stopped momentarily as they have spotted a few figures ahead.

The young woman picks up her spear - again - and apologizes to the yeti. "Sorry. Didn't mean to do that." A short pause. "Hey, do you think the Volsagi sheep will be armored?"

RandomWombat
2014-10-20, 10:28 PM
It does not take long for the two groups to get in range to see each other clearly. Solomon steps forward and examines everyone, nodding to himself. "And there he is. It figures you all would have had a hand in stalling our meeting. Has Ragsk explained what's going on?"

The kobold, whose name is apparently Ragsk, nods. "I brought update on Volsagi military. They are ready for a big fight."

"This is whom I have been meeting. We are not spying on Himmiskan, we are... scouting the Volsagi readiness level. Their aggressive military preparation as of late has been worrying me," Solomon turns to face Thordis and Marcivelle to explain, the latter of which is quiet. The chief turns to face the other champions, "May I see the reports?" Ragsk gestures to Alexis, the one he'd handed them to. Solomon's face becomes a tad more worried. "Ah, Alexis, was it? You do still have the reports yes?"

BramsesII
2014-10-21, 02:34 PM
Alec, still standing at the back of the group, suddenly hears her name being called out. She steps forward. "Just Alec will do, sir." She pauses for a while, as if expecting the chief to say something. The documents are in her left hand, and suddenly she seems to remember something.

"Oh! The documents. Where did I... Oh. Heh... Right here." She holds up the documents triumphantly before handing them over. "Interesting read, I think."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-23, 02:45 AM
Thordis stands where she is, saying nothing until Solomon has a chance to read the documents, but in her heart she tells herself We shall see if any good thing can come of this - mixing a duel and a greater enemy, a serious matter of ambush and the inexperience of Alec. Still - luck tomorrow in a duel, and perhaps the Volsagi fear us.

Quakes
2014-10-23, 09:33 AM
Mirka thinks to himself, We still have a job to do, we'll just have to trust the chief to watch out for any surprises. Forewarned is forearmed.

RandomWombat
2014-10-23, 01:01 PM
"Thank you," Solomon retrieves the reports and begins looking them over. He frowns at the results, "The Volsagi are converting the fyrd into an active standing military force, in addition to their weaponthanes. I'd seen hints in previous reports, but this confirms it. The Volsagi are planning to invade someone." Flipping to the next page of parchment he narrates further, "They've been sending scouts to the southeast - and to the northwest? What would they be scouting for there?"

Ragsk makes an unsubtle noise to catch the chief's attention. Solomon reaches into his heavy cloak and takes out a sack of gold coins, handing it to the kobold. "Here you are, the rest of your payment. If Volsagi plans to attack at the contest tomorrow they will already be on the move, but I want to know what they're planning in the north."

"Yes. I will follow the scouts and see what they see," Ragsk scampers off into the night.

"We need to be ready to defend against this attack. Our forces must be ready by morning, and Drovos must be warned, there's no time to waste," Solomon turns to face the group. "You should all rest. We will need you come dawn."

Prehysterical
2014-10-23, 04:57 PM
Before the chief can walk away, Yarl steps forward and asks,

"Why didn't you tell anyone about this? As a huskarl, I can't protect the village if I don't know which way to point my shield. Is the competition off tomorrow?" He sounds upset about being left out of the loop.

RandomWombat
2014-10-24, 10:30 AM
"You know the tradition of Orlanth and Humakt, shieldthane. Spies and trickery are frowned upon as the methods of Eurmal, a joke with no place in 'real war'. When used and kept in secret these things protect the clan, but if revealed they would cause public distrust. I will have need to come up with an excuse for how the information of a coming attack was obtained," before he leaves, Solomon addresses Yarl. His voice sounds tired. "I grow weary of war. My family's legacy is bringing suffering and pain with their raiding parties and invasions. So forgive me if 'real war' no longer appeals to me. I'm trying to find a path to stopping that endless cycle, but I can't do that if I lose the peoples' trust."

"The Volsagi chief, Iralosa, wouldn't hesitate to use far worse methods. She's ambitious and determined," Marcivelle comments as she speaks up finally. "I never liked her."

BramsesII
2014-10-24, 06:15 PM
Alec looks at the others. "I suppose that answers all our questions. I hope you guys don't mind if I return home? I think we shall all need our rest. Badly."

With that, she turns around and starts to head home, unless someone else has something to say to her.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-24, 10:16 PM
Thordis has no problem herself with spying, but also understands the value of staying silent. Oddly enough, she finds herself in agreement with Alec. If she must fight both a duel and a battle tomorrow, it is best to get sleep now. If there is not a battle, this talk is even more useless. So she speaks up, saying "So we expect treachery tomorrow. Tonight we sleep, for fatigue is hardly lucky." With that she signals her readiness to head to bed as well.

Prehysterical
2014-10-25, 10:49 PM
Yarl shakes his head sadly.

"I didn't mean everyone. I meant at least my family. We have faithfully served for generations, and yet there is no real trust placed in us. I tire of all this pointless war as well, chief, but keeping secrets from your thanes is no way to inspire confidence. What else have you been hiding?" The last question is meant to be rhetorical.

Turning to walk back to his family's hall, Yarl says, "I suppose I'll try to get some sleep, now. Hopefully, I can overcome the itching feeling of an imminent knife in my back." He walks off without another word.

RandomWombat
2014-10-27, 09:56 PM
Thordis is escorted back to her host's home, Marcivelle silent and contemplative. Everyone else is left to their own homes and their own devices for the night, the threat of imminent danger to come with the dawn. A dawn that arrives with no punctuating horn of alarm or sound of clashing arms - the world has not fallen apart while the champions of Himmiskan slept.

Any trace of rain is gone. Last night's muddy dirt is beginning to dry and the sky is clear and blue, the sun peeking over the horizon. The Clan Ring would await with a small guard at the southwestern wall, to enter the no-man's land between their tula and that of Drovos, where the contest was to be held. Of course given recent news the day's scheduled events may be up in the air. All that remained was to get equipped, say any goodbyes, and head out hoping for the best.

After Thordis has completed any preparations and made her way out to the main room, she finds Marcivelle waiting there. She looks as though she's barely slept and a few pieces of bread are set out on the table, one of them partially eaten and resting in Marcivelle's hand.

This time, in the morning, it is Alec's mother that greets her. "Awake are we? Your father went out to meet up with the watch on the wall. He insisted it was important that he be there." The huntress is currently preparing some venison from a successful hunt the day before.

The yeti longhouse near the western barracks is alive with activity in the morning. The yeti warriors and shaman are preparing for the worst in the event the contest does not go according to plan.

Yarl's aging father is still asleep when the shieldthane wakes in the morning. Only the sound of clanking armor causes the old man to stir, and Baldur hobbles sleepily out of his bedroom using a walking stick. He speaks after a moment, pausing to stretch his back with a grunt, "You - ugh - are to depart soon then?" Baldur makes his way to a chair and sits down. "Fitting that our family will see an end to this conflict."

Early in the morning comes a knocking at Barr's front door. A voice calls from the other side, "Barr, son of Brand, this is your wake-up call!" The voice belongs to Solomon's brother Aldric.

BramsesII
2014-10-28, 04:26 PM
Alec has little trouble getting up in the morning, anxious as she is to anticipate in the contest. She has almost forgotten about the events of last night, even though there is still something gnawing at her. She greets her mother with a friendly smile. "Good morning! Sleep well, mother?"

"Is there something unusual about father meeting up with the watch today?" she asks as she takes a bit of breakfast.

Prehysterical
2014-10-28, 10:37 PM
Yarl looks up. "Aye, father. One way or another, our feud with Drovos ends today." He wishes to say more, but he fears what his father might do if he learned the rest of the truth.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-29, 02:01 AM
Thordis begins the day by tending to her Stone hawk, and then wordlessly nodding to her hostess before heading outside to propitiate the spirits by wringing the neck of one of the thrushes she brought with, in the hope that the spirits of the earth will accept this blood and show favor, and that any malevolent spirits will be appeased. She then dons her mail, carefully checks her pouches, cases, and vials on her belt, takes her spear, and heads out.

Quakes
2014-10-29, 11:51 AM
Mirka takes this day much as any day, preparing for the hunt, arm and armoring himself against the wilds. The men they would be facing would be as dangerous as any wild beast of the mountains, and he would give them the same respect. He takes his morning meal with the elders, thanks them for their support, and heads to the meeting area for the contest.

RandomWombat
2014-10-30, 12:51 PM
Friedhelm takes a break from her butchering and turns to face Alec, smiling despite nervousness on her face. "I know this contest is not intended to go to the death, but it's still hard to sleep with this sort of anticipation brewing." She walks over to a basin of water and washes her hands of the deer's blood, then goes over to Alec to brush some stray hair out of her face. Friedhelm's butchering gown is still covered in blood and bits of raw meat, so she doesn't pull Alec into a greasy dead-deer hug. "Your father sometimes forgets that age is catching up to him. He likes to be around the clan's warriors, but he doesn't usually take to the wall this early. I think he's just worried about you." Alec's mother is getting on in the years as well, but has managed to evade arthritis and loss of visual acuity, allowing her to remain a hunter for now.

Baldur leans forward on the table, resting his cane on the tabletop. "I wonder if it will truly be so easy. Even if the war ends, old hatreds do not die so easily. This plan to merge the clans will not go unopposed."

Marcivelle follows once Thordis is ready to leave, watching the strange stone bird with interest. In hopes of turning her thoughts from darker subjects, she asks, "How does something so heavy manage to fly?"

The three eldest yeti sit at a semicircular table at one end of the longhouse, where they receive gifts, questions, and those in need of advice. Today Mirka is an honored champion and so he dines with the trio - Iaar, Polf, and Eda. The towering white-furred Iaar sits in between the smaller Polf (whose fur is of a grey-brown mix) and the female Eda (whose fur is dim and dark grey). The meal of fire-roasted bear meat was a symbolic gesture, meant to grant strength and endurance in the coming trials. When the time came for Mirka to depart, Iaar spoke a few words of Erastil's blessing in the tongue of the yeti, "The Hunter ever hide your path from chaos and ruin, child of the snow." Accompanying the short prayer is a nod of the head from each of the elders, after which Mirka departs.

The wall and its watchmen are near enough to the longhouse that the yeti can see they are already active. Several figures gathered in the cold morning air near the southwest gate he recognizes as the members of the Clan Ring (though a few have not arrived yet) and Chief Solomon. One of the men watching apprehensively from the wall above he also recognizes as the older man with the hammer from the night before.

Prehysterical
2014-10-30, 12:59 PM
"You are sadly right, father. Still, perhaps we can set aside our old differences and work together against the local raiders or something. 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend', after all."

I'm sure we will be fighting alongside each other all too soon, come today.

BramsesII
2014-10-30, 01:59 PM
The young woman eagerly finishes her breakfast, occasionally speaking when her mouth is not full. "That's true, mother. Though... I did sleep quite well. Fortunately." She offers her mother a sweet smile and takes another bite before continuing. "At least I shall head into the contest well fed. Oh, and I'll try not to get hurt. I think that shouldn't be a problem considering who'll be fighting alongside me."

After finishing her breakfast, she gets up and gives her mother a hug. "Don't worry about me. Father shouldn't worry either. I'll be fine." She nods as she lets go of her mother and turns to collect her things. I just hope father'll be fine too.

After collecting her things, Alec leaves the house after giving her mother another hug, leaving for the upcoming contest.

Mathemagics
2014-10-31, 10:49 AM
Early in the morning comes a knocking at Barr's front door. A voice calls from the other side, "Barr, son of Brand, this is your wake-up call!" The voice belongs to Solomon's brother Aldric.

"Yes, yes, Barr hears you!"

The warrior calls out loudly through the door before lumbering forward and opening it to step outside, his gear already prepared. Taking a deep breath of the cold morning air he lets out a relaxed sigh. If the coming conflict makes him at all anxious, he does little to show it.

"Well then, let's not waste any time shall we? Where are the others? It wouldn't do if we are the ones late to the fight!"

RandomWombat
2014-11-02, 11:59 AM
"I pray to Orlanth that you are right, and I pray to Humakt to bring you fortune in today's contest," Yarl's father reaches across the table to rest a wrinkled hand on his son's shoulder. "Alas, my knees are causing me much grief this morning. I fear I cannot accompany you to the battlefield, even if just to watch. Ah... curse the frailty of old age."

"Just remember, if your injuries are too severe, bow out of the contest and go to the healers," Friedhelm advises as she returns her daughter's hug, the latter now having patches of deer blood on her clothes from her mother's apron. "Good luck, dear."

One last bloody hug before she leaves, and Alec is on her way to the southwest wall... probably. It may take a bit to get her bearings, but she'll get there eventually; it's easy to see where peoples' attentions are directed.

"Already geared up, good! And here I feared you might be hungover, with how much you threw back last night," Aldric laughs and pats Barr on the back. The Ring Member is geared up as well, wearing a breastplate, gauntlets, a helm, and a pair of boots with leg guards. A crossbow is slung across his back, a quiver of bolts at one hip and a heavy bastard sword at the other. He begins making his way through the streets towards the southwest gate.

"Let's not waste any time then. Drovos is eager for you to cut its ego down to size!"

Prehysterical
2014-11-02, 04:36 PM
Yarl claps his own hand over his father's. "I understand, father. Make sure to keep your sword close at hand. Something about today has the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, and I don't think it has to do with the contest." Yarl rises from the table and makes his way to the meeting place.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-03, 12:25 PM
"Asking how a spirit does what it does? Strange answers at best."

BramsesII
2014-11-04, 02:40 PM
Alec makes her way toward the wall southwest wall, deep in thought. I wonder what sort of opposition we'll be facing today. Warriors, perhaps accompanied by a shaman. They wouldn't think of sending magic users like me in, right? I doubt it somehow. And even if they do, well... I'll be ready. I wish I had trained harder with my spear though. Then, I could fight like a real weaponthane. Now I'm just a freakshow they're sending along to confuse the opponent. Well... I'll just have to show them how good I am at causing confusion, aren't I? Supposedly, it's my main talent. Confusion... Hmm... Her mind wanders everywhere as she walks through the streets, eventually making it to her destination if she isn't stopped by anyone. And all that without once dropping her spear!

RandomWombat
2014-11-05, 11:27 PM
One by one the group arrives at the southwest gate, where the Clan Ring and a small group of weaponthanes awaited. Chief Solomon was present, turned away from the group and looking at the gate. One of the weaponthanes greeted Yarl, "A good day to you, honored shieldthane. We are preparing to meet with Drovos and get the contest underway." It seemed Solomon had failed to convince the Drovos chief to postpone contest, or wasn't able to reach him yet. To back out now would bring dishonor and misfortune to the clan. It seemed their path was locked in place.

Barr and Aldric are the last two to arrive, taking their place among the gathered representatives and their guards. Hugo, son of Arland, notes their arrival and alerts Solomon. The chief turns to face everyone and nods solemnly. "For those of you not yet aware of the situation, our hunters have spotted Volsagi scouts in the wilderness. There has been no response from Chief Liam of Drovos after I sent a messenger to carry warning to him. I can only assume he refused or ignored the message, or the runner was intercepted." A heavy sigh escapes his lips. "We will proceed as planned, but the clan's cavalry are prepared outside the south all to ride out and cover our flight to the walls should Volsagi attack. The fyrd are being rallied and we will be ready to defend our tula should my fears be realized. Hugo and Aldric will remain behind in the event that we... do not return safely." The weaponthane guards shift nervously, both worried about the potential attack and eager to get underway. Solomon turns to face the gates and signals the guards above to open it. He leads the assembled group forwards. The exceptions are Hugo the agriculturalist and a very bitter looking Aldric. The chief's brother clearly regrets being left behind.

"Good fortune in battle, champions," the war adviser climbs up onto the walls and takes his place beside Alec the Old, who is looking down at his daughter as she marches out to an uncertain fate. His wrinkled face is lined with similar uncertainty.

The southwestern fields consist of open potential farmland that has long been contested by the two clans, neither of which managed to hold on to it long enough to build fortifications. The wild grass is stamped down in scattered patches where skirmishes occurred, and the Drovos' walls are visible in the distance. It is still too far to make out any figures that may be exiting their gate. The destination is the center point between the two tulas, and a small walk is required to reach it.

Quakes
2014-11-06, 01:34 PM
Mirka carefully examines the landscape around him, looking for places that large groups could hide if the contest was being taken in bad faith. He reviews the magic that he has available and makes ready to cast a spell once the battleground is reached. He tries to appear calm and confident, in an effort to bolster any of his companions that may be nervous about the upcoming battle.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-06, 08:46 PM
Thordis applies her war paint. However fate would have it, a fight seems likely today. To be sure, treachery of one sort or another seems likely, but she intends to be victorious regardless.

War paint of the terrible visage has no effect until activated. Then it is a swift action DC 11 cause fear.

BramsesII
2014-11-07, 03:36 PM
Alec eyes her companions, all ready for battle, and tries to look confident herself as well. She checks herself one last time to see if she didn't forget anything, and is relieved to find that she brought both her crossbow and her magic wand. Her spear, like the crossbow, is attached to a strap on her back, leaving her hands free to cast spells if necessary. She looks at her companions and grins. "Well then. Here we go, I suppose. You guys ready?"

She smiles nervously as they begin their small walk to the meeting point.

Prehysterical
2014-11-07, 03:50 PM
Yarl advances at the front of the party, shield already in hand.

"It doesn't matter if we are ready or not. The day is here. The future of our clan depends on us."

RandomWombat
2014-11-08, 01:28 AM
The group's many eyes see no signs of an ambush or hidden traps, and another group can soon be seen approaching from the Drovos' tula. The wooded area to the north, where the hunters typically prowl, is an unsettling sight. No telling who might be hiding in the cover of those trees.

Eventually the two groups meet at a section of the field where the grass has been scythed down and torches have been placed around the battlefield to mark the boundaries. To leave the area within the torches would disqualify the competitor and remove he or she from the contest, as was tradition. The Drovos entourage was visible now:

Most conspicuous among them is a giant of a man standing well over six feet, giving a yeti a run for their money in terms of muscle mass. What makes him conspicuous is not his build, however, but his clothing. A tall red hat with a white pom-pom hanging from it is accompanied by thin bear hide armor dyed a ridiculous shade of pink. A bracelet on his left hand is adorned with three dots in a triangle pattern, showing him to be a follower of Eurmal. In his hands is... some twisted melding of a torch and a light morningstar, its head bearing several spikes and covered in fuel-soaked cloth, ready to be set ablaze. A component pouch on his belt marks him as some manner of mage. As if that weren't enough, a glowing purple-pink sigil on his forehead glows slightly in the morning light. It is patterned after a loop with the two ends crossing one another and trailing upwards, twelve points of light scattered around it. The same sigil is shared by the forehead of a sizeable grey goat walking next to the man. The goat has three pupils in the shape of Eurmal's sign, no irises, and a frightening grin upon its face which reveals rows of sharp teeth. This creature is clearly not something natural and it radiates a feeling of oddness, though not malevolence.

Next is a pair, brother and sister from the look of their faces and hair. Both have brown hair and eyes. The man wears leather armor and carries a large, round, spiked steel shield in his left hand, carrying no other notable equipment. While not as tall as the Trickster he is thickly built and clearly a warrior. The woman's armor is made of leather with strips of wooden plate to reinforce it and give it a second layer of defense. A ceremonial longsword of Humakt rests in its scabbard at her side, but her primary weapon is very clearly the bow held ready in her hand.

The next person in line is someone who manages to draw Alec's attention for a moment. Norhaug, son of Rupert, child of the man her father killed in a failed negotiation turned battle. He glares across the battlefield at Alec with very clear hostile intent in his hazel eyes. Dark brown hair is tied back in a ponytail at the back of his head, hanging beneath a half-helmet resting atop his head. A simple chain shirt is enhanced by a thick leather kilt. His hand rests on a slightly glowing short sword at his side and in his other hand is a small steel shield.

Lastly was a small figure in the middle of the group, an off-white scaled kobold carrying a combat pick over one shoulder. Leather armor and a buckler make up the lizard's gear, and he easily zips to and fro among the feet and legs of the larger folk to get a better look at his foes-to-be.

Chief Liam, an older man not yet turning grey, leads the Clan Ring of Drovos and their armed escort. Many sets of eyes stare coldly at their long-time enemies, others just look tired. Liam's eyes look skeptical. He is not dressed as a dedicated warrior and instead wears the garb of a clergyman of Orlanth. Liam and Solomon meet in the center of the clearing while everyone else stands back. The healers brought along from each clan join up off to the side of the arena and prepare to treat anyone critically injured in the contest. "I take it you did not recieve my message, then?" Liam looks confused at Solomon's question.

"What are you going on about?"

"His unconditional surrender, I'll bet!" the Trickster shouts from the sidelines, his goat cackling beside him. Both are silenced by a glance aside from Liam.

"I received no messenger. Explain yourself."

"Our scouts have spotted Volsagi lurking about and keeping an eye on us. I fear they may try something."

"The Volsagi would be fools to tempt the wrath of Orlanth, disturbing a sacred contest in his name. Is this some trick to stall? To back out?"

Solomon sighs. "Somebody intercepted my messenger. There is clearly a reason for it."

"After everything you go through to convince me to arrange this gesture... fine. I will send word back to my tula to prepare for the event of an attack from a third party. The contest proceeds as planned."

"And any who interfere will be caught in a pincer between our two cavalries," Solomon nods in acquiescence. "I accept those terms." He turns back to the champions of Himmiskan. "Step forward and array yourselves on your half of the field." Liam gives a nod to his own champions and the two chiefs step onto the sidelines. The opponents move into formation, in defensive positions to leave the archer a field of view to fire while threatening any who would charge recklessly past.

BramsesII
2014-11-09, 04:26 PM
As the group takes up their positions, Alec takes her spot at the back of the group. She whispers to Thordis. "See the man with the ponytail and the half-helmet? I bet he's going to come after me. I'll try to take him out myself, but I may need some help." She looks at the others. "What's our plan anyway? Do we have one?"

Prehysterical
2014-11-10, 12:18 AM
Yarl regards their opponents steadily, trying to hide his disgust at the Trickster and his strange beast. He is suddenly glad for the presence of Thordis in their band. "We fight together. Stand beside me. If this goes one-on-one, we will lose." Stepping forward, he draws the warhammer from his belt. He points its head at the shieldbearer of Drovos.

"I am Yarl, son of Baldur. If I am to die today, let me know the name of my enemy so that my family may carve it on my shield."

RandomWombat
2014-11-10, 12:52 AM
The powerfully built shield-carrying man places his free hand on his chest, "I am Rong, son of Wright-" the strange goat snickers through its smiling (or bared?) teeth, "-Guardian of Drovos' temple of Orlanth. And if I have any say in it the death that has plagued our two clans will see its end today."

Mathemagics
2014-11-10, 12:17 PM
"What's our plan anyway? Do we have one?"

"Simple! We charge and break their ranks! No need to hang back like mewling timid whelps while their archer and mage strike from afar!"

Barr smiles in anticipation at the approaching trial as he pulls the oversized sword free from the sheath on his back. Taking a couple experimental swings to warm up, he then shoulders the blade as he turns to stride forward towards the dividing line. Planting his feet firmly, he surveys the gathered warriors of the Drovos, the smile never once leaving his features.

"Hear me Drovos! Worthy champions and warriors you must certainly be, yet all of you must have done something to offend the gods, or they would not have seen fit to arrange for Barr, son of Brand to be your opponent today! Rest assured, Barr shall grant you an honorable and glorious death!"

Barr will take up a position opposite Norhaug and Rong, and close to the dividing line.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-11, 04:50 AM
Thordis says nothing, taking position just to the left of Barr. She keeps her eye on that archer, determined to call on the spirits to raise a shield of stone if she's targeted. She can do that without slowing down her cursing.

BramsesII
2014-11-11, 05:08 PM
Alec unhooks the wand from her belt, holding it in her left hand. She looks nervously at her companions, then at the Drovos before them. She says nothing, but her expression changes from anxious to determined as she locks eyes with Norhaug. in her mind, she considers the possible options for keeping the man at bay, magically. Right. Let's see how you fare against magic.

Prehysterical
2014-11-12, 04:21 PM
Yarl moves forward to the right of Barr, planting himself in the middle of the formation. Looking back, he says, "Beside me, Alec."

Quakes
2014-11-12, 05:36 PM
sorry, can't see the map on my work compy. Will be hanging back with the casters, ready to drop a spell once combat starts.

RandomWombat
2014-11-12, 09:23 PM
Barr - 19
Archer - 19 (lower mod than Barr)
Alec - 17 (noted on map as slightly off-blue to avoid confusion with Rong)
Rong - 16
Mirka - 13
Yarl - 12
Kobold - 10
Goat? - 6
Norhaug - 6
Thordis - 5
Trickster - 4
Healers - 0 (on this initiative count each round the healers will move in the intervene and remove critically wounded fighters, if any)

Everyone takes their places, Yarl and Barr exchanging banter with the enemy forces. The gaudily dressed trickster laughs flatly at Barr's boasting. "Always the honor and glory and death with you people. Would it kill you to try some humor for a change?"

Not all of Barr's boasting is hot air though; while everyone is distracted by his grandstanding, the signal to begin is missed for a split second and the first move falls to him.

http://s17.postimg.org/9l8tlnipb/formation1.png

Mathemagics
2014-11-12, 10:34 PM
The moment the signal is given Barr dashes forward in a beeline for the enemy ranks, heedless to the danger of charging in alone. The giant man's eyes take on an unnatural sheen as he collides with the Drovos shieldbearer, his sword crashing down with the force of a felled tree.

Free action: activate Bloodrage (+4 STR/CON, +2 Will, -2 AC)
Move action: move forward to adjacent to the enemy frontline
Free action to activate Destined Strike (+1 attack).
Standard action: Power Attacking Rong.
Attack: [roll0] (includes +2 from rage-induced STR and +1 from destined strike, no penalty for PA due to Furious Focus)
Damage: [roll1] (+7 of this is from total strength mod, +6 from PA)

Current HP: 42(+8)/42(+8)
Current AC: 16

RandomWombat
2014-11-12, 11:01 PM
Barr charges forward with reckless abandon, Rong sidestepping the obvious charge and readying his shield for a counterattack. Barr's sword digs deep into the ground and the archer behind Rong takes careful aim. "Hope you said goodbye to that sword..." An arrow is loosed and impacts the hilt of Barr's greatsword, knocking it out of his hands and leaving the blade to fall to the ground in front of him.

The archer takes a 5-foot step to the right on the map.
Barr is hit with an Archery Disarm maneuver, and drops his greatsword in his space.

It is now Alec's turn.

BramsesII
2014-11-13, 11:50 AM
Alec reacts almost immediately as the signal is given. She steps forward in front of Thordis and aims her wand at Norhaug. She speaks the command word, and a burst of color erupts from the wand, encapsulating the three enemy warriors in front of her, but just missing Barr.

- Move action to a position Alec diagonally behind Barr to keep him out of Color spray's AoE.
- Standard action to activate wand of Color spray (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/color-spray):

Norhaug, Rong and the kobold get to make a will save (DC 16) or be affected:
2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD: The creature is stunned for 1 round.

RandomWombat
2014-11-13, 12:32 PM
From the tip of Alec's wand bursts a flash of brilliant multicolored light, causing Norhaug and Rong to stumble and drop their shields, and in Norhaug's case his sword. Still reeling from the brilliant flash, Rong is unable to capitalize on Barr being completely open. The kobold seems unaffected after the flash fades; either it shielded its eyes soon enough or succeeded in disbelieving the illusion. "What was that?! Is that cheating?"

"Not at all," Solomon speaks from the sidelines, "Challengers are expected to prepare themselves for things like this."

"Sorry, I didn't see what she was holding there," the archer apologizes to her teammates.

Norhaug and Rong are Blinded for 3 rounds, and Stunned for 4, leaving them extremely vulnerable.

Mirka and Yarl are up. They are on the same side, so they may act in whatever order they feel is more beneficial.

Quakes
2014-11-13, 06:16 PM
Mirka takes note of the archer's strategy. Two can play at that game. He points at the mage's morningstar and summons the power of the sun to heat it to scorching temperatures.

Cast burning disarm on the morningstar
Reflex save DC 14 to drop the weapon
Otherwise, it deals [roll0] fire damage to the holder.

RandomWombat
2014-11-13, 07:56 PM
The Trickster stubbornly maintains his hold on the strange custom-made weapon, gritting his teeth as the metal beneath the grip sears his hand. The grinding teeth shift into a defiantly mocking sneer when the pitch-soaked head of the weapon ignites from the sudden burst of heat. "Thank you kindly, my furry friend! Saved me the trouble of lighting her myself!"

Prehysterical
2014-11-13, 08:34 PM
With the archer and Rong out of action for now, Yarl resolves to put down the Trickster. Take away their ability to fight.

He seizes the advantage by charging forward, hammer swinging at the man.

Charge, +2 attack -2 AC, 20 AC
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit confirm: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

RandomWombat
2014-11-13, 09:07 PM
Mid-charge, Yarl is met with teeth as the goat's neck stretches out to allow it a bite at his side. The unnaturally sharp teeth find a weak point in his armor and dig into his side before the goat's head retracts. The unexpected attack isn't nearly enough to stop his momentum, however, as his hammer collides with the Trickster and easily wipes the sneer off of his face. If anything can be said for the Eurmali mage it is that he remains standing. No more quips or remarks escape him however, and he takes a more guarded posture as he faces Yarl.

The absentminded girl with the spear proves more of a threat than the enemy team anticipated, and the kobold moves up beside her now that she is beyond the protection of her backers. The kobold's pick swings through the air and impales Alec in her unarmored thigh, the attack following through into a defensive stance.

The goat unexpectedly does not attack Yarl immediately, instead waiting a moment for a more opportune moment. Norhaug is far too delirious from the illusory blast to act.

Yarl provokes an Attack of Opportunity from the goat as he passes through its Reach, taking 6 damage.
Alec takes 6 damage from the kobold's attack.
The goat delays its action.

It is Thordis' turn.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-14, 04:45 AM
Thordis remains calm, surveying the action. Treachery is the real concern now. Alec was decisive though - so perhaps the fight can be ended faster than any betrayal can happen. She lets the spiritual force in her face paint loose at the kobold. To be sure, anyone of any skill will recognize it as of no importance.
Then she curses the archer, drawing his consciousness out of his body and towards the world of dreams.

Move action to look around for people who aren't supposed to be on the battlefield. I suppose that's a per check. Swift action to cause fear on the kobold (DC 11 wil save), using up the face paint. Standard action to sleep the archer (DC 16 wil save).

RandomWombat
2014-11-15, 11:58 AM
Barr - 19
Archer - 19 (lower mod than Barr)
Alec - 17 (noted on map as slightly off-blue to avoid confusion with Rong)
Rong - 16
Mirka - 13
Yarl - 12
Kobold - 10
Norhaug - 6
Thordis - 5
Trickster - 4
Goat? - (action was delayed, moved turn in order)
Healers - 0 (on this initiative count each round the healers will move in the intervene and remove critically wounded fighters, if any)

The kobold doesn't flinch at the sight of the frightening visage, maintaining a prepared combat stance. Thordis' hex causes the archer to briefly lower her bow and droop her head, but she manages to shake off the effect.

What Thordis notices in her examination of the battlefield is the healers, a few of whom are gravitating towards the heavily injured trickster, who no doubt has a broken rib - at the very least. They are not moving in to intervene and drag him from the battlefield yet, as the mage has not surrendered. Instead he raises his flaming mace and swings it at Yarl, who easily deflects it. The Trickster grimaces and backs away, his goat taking action now to step into the path and lash out at Yarl. His heavy armor easily protects him from the hooves and teeth of the goat.

The kobold and archer succeed their respective saves.

For as much as it can be called a map, anyways.

http://s17.postimg.org/kg0sdrdsf/formation1.png

It is now Barr's turn.

Mathemagics
2014-11-15, 12:19 PM
"Barr thanks you for the assistance, friend!"

The warrior momentarily turns his attention towards Alec as he replaces his grip on his sword once again, pulling the blade free from the ground in a single motion. His gaze pivots back towards the stunned pair of enemies before him as he raises his sword once again and brings it down with a shout.

Still bloodraging, so all those modifiers are in effect.

Move action to retrieve weapon.
Standard action to Power Attack Rong again; since he's stunned and blinded that should be -4 AC, no AC from Dex, and he dropped his shield meaning no bonus from it... Now watch me roll a 1 on this nearly unmissable attack...

Attack: [roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-11-15, 01:24 PM
Weapon once more in hand, and with no resistance from the stupefied enemy, Barr delivers a decisive slash to Rong's unguarded torso. The man remains out of it as he struggles to regain awareness and control. All the while the enemy archer debates where to take aim, with the enemy advancing from both sides. She settles on Barr, but her indecisiveness causes the shot to go off course, lodging in the ground nearby. On the sidelines Liam is rubbing his forehead in embarrassment at the trouncing his champions are facing.

It is now Alec's action.

BramsesII
2014-11-15, 01:42 PM
"GAH!" Alec yells out in pain as the pick strikes her unprotected thigh. She grits her teeth, trying to forget about the pain, and takes a step back from the kobold with the nasty weapon. She puts the wand back on her belt and mutters an incantation. She points a finger at the kobold, and a coruscating ray leaps forward at the creature.

5-ft step back diagonally, placing Alec next to Thordis
Move action to sheath wand
Standard action to cast Ray of Enfeeblement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/ray-of-enfeeblement)

Ranged touch: [roll0]
Target takes [roll1] strength damage for 3 rounds (Fort save 16 for half)

Prehysterical
2014-11-16, 01:07 AM
Peeking out of the corner of his eye at the goings-on around him, Yarl yells, "Forget about them, Barr! Help Alec!"

Thwarted by the goat's maneuvering, Yarl seeks to put the beast down to get at its master.

Crit: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

Quakes
2014-11-18, 10:47 AM
Still doing his best to incapacitate the enemy, Mirka creates a burst of blinding light in the middle of their opponents. As an added benefit, he knows that anyone the light burns is a fair target for more lethal measures, or is at least someone to watch for treachery.

Think I can center on the archer and also catch Rong, Trickster, and goat.
Burst of Radiance - 10 foot radius
Reflex DC 15
Fail - Blind for [roll0] rounds
(-2 AC, no dex mod, 50% miss on all attacks, DC10 acrobatics to move faster than half speed)
Succeed - Dazzled (-1 on attacks/perception) for [roll1] rounds

Pass or Fail (if evil) - take [roll2] damage

RandomWombat
2014-11-18, 11:33 AM
Yarl's hammer is caught at an angle by the goat's horns and deflected, followed immediately by a brilliant burst of light from where the archer had been standing. She is able to cover her face before the flash happens, as is the Trickster, and the goat is too focused on Yarl to look into the blast, but all three are still dazzled by the brilliant light. Rong is caught in the flash, but already far too blind and confused from the previous spell to notice.

On the other side of the battlefield, the kobold takes a hop out of the way of Alec's ray, landing on the opposite side of Thordis, and reaches out with his bucklered hand in a rapid maneuver. It is only after a second that Thordis realizes what happened: the kobold snatched her spell component pouch off of her belt!

The Trickster, Goat, and Archer succeed their saves and are dazzled for 3 rounds.
Rong fails his save, but is already blinded for 2 more rounds by the Color Spray.
None take damage from the attack; Mirka can infer that none of the affected carry evil in their hearts.
The kobold takes a 5-foot step down on the map and Steals Thordis' spell component pouch. Any spells that require components or foci cannot be used until it is retrieved.
Norhaug is still stunned and blinded.

It is Thordis' turn.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-18, 02:22 PM
Thordis conceals a laugh - she's decided that with the fight going this well, she's saving her spells for treachery. Still, that kobold might be a problem. Best to put him out. She calls on the spirits to hex the thing.

Sleep hex, DC 16 wil save, on the kobold. If that works, move action to retrieve her spell component pouch. It might take a second move action next round to properly stow it, but that's not a problem.

RandomWombat
2014-11-19, 12:25 AM
In a somewhat comical scene, the kobold is immediately put to sleep after snatching the pouch. Thordis leans down and easily picks it back up from where it was dropped on the ground.

Getting an idea, the Trickster conjures a patch of slick oil below Thordis, hoping to slow her hexing. His goat's teeth and hooves again scrape uselessly against Yarl's thick armor.

The Grease spell trips Thordis,

The Healers need not act yet.

Barr's turn is up.

Mathemagics
2014-11-19, 12:53 AM
Grease hits a 20x20 area now...? :smallconfused:

Unless he's somehow able to use Widen Spell this early in levels that is...

Seeing that Thordis has the kobold under control for the time being, and that several others of the enemy were incapacitated or otherwise engaged, Barr sets his sights on the archer. Dashing through the gap in the enemy ranks, he closed on the woman with deadly speed and lashed out once again.

Continue raging.
Move action to relocate next to the archer.
Standard action to attack the archer with PA.

RandomWombat
2014-11-19, 01:29 AM
I misread 10-foot square as 10-foot radius.

Retcon: Only Thordis is prone, Yarl takes no damage.

RandomWombat
2014-11-19, 05:39 PM
Barr easily charges past the disoriented and broken enemy ranks, bringing his sword down with violent force. The archer is sent reeling back with a long diagonal wound, hurriedly putting some distance between herself and Barr. "Forgive me for my skepticism clan chief, but I doubt we can win this!" Despite her protest through clenched teeth, she draws back her bow and looses a pair of arrows into Barr's chest.

"Surrender if you feel you must, the dishonor is yours' to carry," Liam answers from the sidelines. He looks distraught at the results of the contest thus far, but is unwilling to call it quits.

The archer takes a 5-foot step back and fires two shots at Barr, dealing 10 damage in total between them.

It is now Alec's turn. She succeeded her Reflex save and is not prone.

BramsesII
2014-11-19, 05:55 PM
Alec points at the archer. "She's right, you know. You probably won't win this." She keeps pointing at the archer and speaks another incantation. Two magical energy darts leap from her finger at the archer, and slam into her unerringly. After releasing the darts, she tries to move out of the greased area onto more solid ground.

Casting magic missile at the archer [roll0]
Acrobatics check to move away from the enemies and out of the grease [roll1]

RandomWombat
2014-11-19, 06:17 PM
With the pair of magical projectiles, the archer is left barely standing, what little strength she had left after weathering Barr's attack fading quickly.

Because Rong remains stunned for a few more rounds, Mirka and Yarl may now take their turns.

Prehysterical
2014-11-19, 07:06 PM
Fending off the goat's attacks, Yarl has time to take stock of the situation. Clan Himmiskan did, indeed, have the obvious advantage. It was surprising that no one had died yet. Yarl had secretly hoped that such an overwhelming start to the contest would make the Drovos realize the folly of continuing. Instead, Liam continued to his throw people against the shieldwall. The full stupidity of this contest finally hit Yarl in the gut. Orlanth... Humakt... Forgive me for being so blind.

Taking a step back from the goat, Yarl does something that never would have occurred to him before. The shieldthane throws his hammer to the ground in disgust. Seeking Liam out with his eyes, Yarl feels an indignant anger rise in him that he had never felt before.

"Dishonor?! Where is the honor in throwing your people onto spears for the sake of your own pride? Today is about stopping the blood, but all I see is more of the same feud we have had for generations! The Volsagi gather their swords and wolves creep unto our villages, yet still we fight like children. Where is the honor in that?" Yarl slams the cross of Humakt on his breastplate for emphasis. "Let it be done! I would grant your people my shield alongside Rong's, but you must be willing to sheathe your sword."

Quakes
2014-11-20, 01:38 PM
It seems that archer still has some fight in her. Maybe a gentle shove would cure that...

Thinking to knock one of their standing opponents out, Mirka pulls an icicle out of the frozen air and throws it at the archer. He does not know much about the honor of humans, and giving a contest to the clear victor seems like a reasonable thing to do. Either way, this warrior won't have to worry about that long.

[roll0] Ranged Touch attack
damage
[roll1] cold damage

1/6 icicles cast

RandomWombat
2014-11-20, 06:57 PM
A sharp icicle flies past Yarl and Barr mid-speech, striking the archer in the arm as she brings it up to defend herself. Filled with the chill of supernatural cold, she pales and falls to the ground, shivering. She is clearly alive, but in no condition to fight any longer.

"This is not about my pride!" Liam shouts back at Yarl, looking indignant. He takes a step forward, just on the edge of the battlefield, and thrusts a finger at Yarl. "This is about ending this decisively. My people will not simply bow before Himmiskan - it was you who invaded our lands, if you recall. But nor can we continue this stalemate or it will destroy us all. The people must see a definitive victor in the eyes of our gods and our traditions, or they will not accept surrender, and certainly not coexistence. Now pick up your hammer and finish what you started."

"One wonders if he's talking about his people or himself," Solomon mentions aside to Marcivelle in a cold, quiet tone. She crosses her arms and watches the fight continue as everyone recovers from the momentary distraction of Yarl's speech.

The kobold slumbers on the cold packed grass, and Norhaug blinks away the last of the illusory hallucinations plaguing his eyes, instantly shooting a glare across the battlefield at the sorceress responsible. Still too shaken to act, he works to steady himself.

It is now Thordis' turn. She is presently on her behind.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-21, 12:28 AM
Thordis decides to leave the talking to chiefs and thanes. Besides, someone might hold it against her if she speaks. She doesn't look the like on Northaug's face, but that's not her problem at the moment. That would be the trickster. Presumably harder to hex, but it isn't lucky to attempt only the easy. So, she hexes them, and then stands carefully.

standard action to force a DC 16 wil save vs sleep for the trickster, then move action to stand. If I understand, she doesn't need a balance check unless she moves, but of course you can say otherwise.

RandomWombat
2014-11-21, 09:43 PM
The Trickster shakes off the dull feeling in the back of his head, blinking the blur out of his drooping eyes. However, he makes no further efforts to attack, and walks away, using a bucket of water on the sidelines to put out his spiked torch. He tosses the extinguished weapon on the ground in imitation of Yarl. "Not like anyone ever claimed I had honor anyways. You guys had a better plan, I concede to that." With him his creepy goat backs out of the fight.

Liam huffs and looks away from the Trickster, back to the ongoing fight. The healers move in and gather around the fallen archer, mending and binding her wounds.

It is Barr's turn. The enemy forces are collapsing in on themselves, but Norhaug has a look in his eye that says he's still got a grudge and isn't willing to drop it yet. The kobold is asleep, the archer is out of the contest, Rong is stunned but standing, and the goat-conjuring Trickster has conceded defeat.

Mathemagics
2014-11-21, 10:32 PM
Barr stood by as the healers dragged the unconscious archer from the field before him before turning around to set his sights on Norhaug. Smiling, he called out to the warrior.

"You've got the look of a man out for blood! Unfortunately, Barr cannot simply sit by today; if you want to take a swing at the girl, you'll have to deal with The Blessed first!"

His pace quickening, Barr strode back across the field towards the would-be avenger, raising his weapon once against as he approached and bringing it down.

Move to come up behind Norhaug.
Power Attack!
[roll0]
[roll1]

RandomWombat
2014-11-23, 12:40 AM
The attack from behind sends Norhaug staggering forward, a snarl escaping his clenched teeth. He is left with a large wound to the back and no way to do anything about it, much to his frustration.

The archer is unable to fight, and so Alec is up next.

BramsesII
2014-11-23, 03:32 AM
Alec looks at Norhaug. "You guys should give up. No point in getting yourself wounded for a fight you're not going to win. Please?"

She points a figner at Norhaug and speaks an incantation she has used before. A coruscating ray leaps from her fingers towards Norhaug.

Casting ray of enfeeblement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/ray-of-enfeeblement)

Ranged touch: [roll0]
Target takes [roll1] strength damage for 3 rounds (Fort save 16 for half)

RandomWombat
2014-11-23, 08:07 PM
Norhaug's stubborn stance slackens further between the injury and the new weakness in his limbs. His anger and want for vengeance are beginning to give way to self preservation, and the determination in his face is fading. Beside him Rong looks up with his newly cleared eyes and stammers something unintelligible, still shaken and dizzied by the lightshow.

It is Yarl and Mirka's turn. Thordis may also act; Norhaug and the kobold are both unable to act.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-23, 10:38 PM
Thordis is still wary of treachery, hoping to get the fight officially ended quickly. She really can't tell if Rong is surrendering, so she assumes the worst and hexes him.

Quakes
2014-11-24, 10:51 AM
Mirka continues to use lethal, though minimal force to remove their opponents safely from the battlefield. He would give them the chance to retreat if their honor allows them to, but until then, he must treat them as a respected enemy.

Icicle 2/6
[roll0] vs Norhaug Touch AC
damage
[roll1]

Prehysterical
2014-11-24, 03:39 PM
Yarl moves over to Rong and says,

"This battle is over, Rong. Whether you choose to fight or not will change nothing. Go. Your sister needs you."

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-11-26, 09:27 PM
The dart of ice flies past Norhaug, poorly aimed and landing in the snow some distance away. Yarl's attempt at diplomacy is (thankfully, perhaps) interrupted as Rong collapses at his feet, asleep. Thordis sent a sleeping hex his way from her position on the ground. It doesn't take long before a shout comes from the Trickster, "Fire!"

Everyone's attention is drawn towards the Himmiskan tula, where a large plume of smoke is rising from beyond the outer wall, inside the settlement. "There, too!" Another shout points out a second pillar of smoke above Drovos' tula.

"Volsagi! We're not their target! They're attacking the tulas while our attention is on each other! Everyone, move! Get back!" Solomon draws his sword and turns on his heels, beginning a sprint back towards the tula. Everyone is in a chaotic mess as the healers hurry to move the injured and get them back up.

Liam and his guards are already ahead of their own pack in a dash towards their home. "The godforsaken rats! Defend the tula, warriors of Drovos!"

Marcivelle breaks out of the initial shock and runs onto the battlefield, where she reaches down to help Thordis up.

Prehysterical
2014-12-01, 04:17 PM
Frozen for a split second by horror, Yarl rushes to grab his fallen warhammer and make his way back to the tula.

BramsesII
2014-12-01, 05:12 PM
Alec takes a step back when she hears the call. "That's not supposed to happen! We have to help the defenders!" She instantly dashes after Yarl, inexplicably thinking of bacon along the way back to the tula.

RandomWombat
2014-12-01, 10:10 PM
The other members of the two clan rings shake off their shock, those of their number of able body or skill drawing their weapons and following behind Yarl and Alec. The noncombatants look stunned and unsure what they can do to help.

Talin the Healer and Filip the Trickster are the Clan Ring members who follow back towards the tula. Aldric the War Adviser and Hugo the Agriculturalist are already back at the tula, because they were left behind to watch over the clan. Thea the Veterinarian and Marcivelle the Trader currently remain at the battlefield, along with a few Drovos ring members who are uncertain what to do.

Quakes
2014-12-02, 12:59 PM
After assuring that the fallen are being tended, Mirka follows along as fast as his legs will take him, which somehow isn't enough to keep up with those spry little humans. Perhaps fog will suppress the fire a bit...

once within 130 feet of the main fire, cast fog cloud on top of it. hopefully that will stop some of the spreading.

raspberrybadger
2014-12-02, 02:19 PM
Thordis takes the time to reach out to Barr, saying "The blessing of the spirits be with you", and healing him. This whole thing is actually a better situation than she expected, so she says it almost cheerfully.

Healing hex, 1d8+3

RandomWombat
2014-12-06, 08:54 PM
Running through the plains back the way they came, Alec and Yarl arrive at the gates of the tula to find them firmly shut. Solomon is already pounding on the wooden gate and shouting, "Is anyone there? Open the gates!" The sounds of fighting can be heard from beyond the wall, but they are distant. Filip is close behind the first two, hopping on one foot as he pulls a dagger out of a hidden sheath in his boot. After him comes the elderly Talin, with only his walking staff to defend himself, but he is well-known as a skilled doctor in addition to his magical healing talents. Mirka is next to arrive, but he cannot yet see any fires to fight. They must be further in beyond the wall. Barr and Thordis arrive last, accompanied by Marcivelle and Thea, who are unarmed.

Solomon gives up on his efforts to get someone's attention on the other side and looks around for any other way inside. "We need to get inside and organize the defense of the clan!"

Quakes
2014-12-08, 03:56 PM
Mirka makes a step out of his hands and offers his assistance. Someone will have to climb over and let us in. He looks around expectantly at the others, waiting for someone to volunteer.

raspberrybadger
2014-12-09, 02:53 AM
Thordis decides to leave the gate opening to others, as strength may well decide this matter. Instead, she walks calmly to Alec and says "A brave warrior will fight even when injured, but the spirits will take only a moment to heal you." Then, she reaches out a hand to touch her with power.

Healing hex [roll0]

Prehysterical
2014-12-09, 02:21 PM
Seeing no one else stepping forward while their home burned, Yarl finally says, "Fine, just get me in there."

BramsesII
2014-12-09, 02:30 PM
Alec absentmindedly nods at Thordis, her mind occupied with how they're going to get over the wall. "Thanks."

When Yarl suggests climbing over, she suddenly shakes her head. "Wait. Try to be careful they don't have archers. If they do, warn me and I'll try to distract them." Having said so, she considers how she's going to cause such a distraction.

RandomWombat
2014-12-10, 12:33 AM
Mirka may easily boost Yarl fully armored with no check required, because of his Large-equivalent carrying capacity. The climb DC to get over the corner of the wall onto the watchman's ledge is DC 16.

Mirka may make a DC 10 Strength check to give Yarl an upwards push while he climbs over, Aiding the Climb check and granting a +2 bonus on success.

Quakes
2014-12-10, 05:48 PM
check to boost up Yarl
[roll0]

Mirka easily lifts up the heavily armored man, sending him shooting towards the top of the wall. All that was left for him to do was pull himself over.

Prehysterical
2014-12-10, 06:06 PM
Lifted up by the yeti's strength, Yarl tries to overcome the cumbersomeness of his armor as he attempts to pull himself over the lip.
[roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-12-11, 02:24 AM
While Yarl is given a forceful thrust upwards, he can't quite get a hold on the edge of the wall. The weight of his equipment throws him off balance, and he topples in the air, falling down on top of Mirka. Talin hurries over, leaning on his staff to examine the two. A few cuts are left by Yarl's armor, and some spots will bruise later, but nothing major. Yarl himself is mostly unharmed - just the wind knocked out of him. "Here now, roll off of him so I can tend these wounds." Helping Yarl move off of Mirka, the healer places a hand on the yeti and recites a prayer to Chalana Arroy. A warm light fills the injuries and quickly mends them.

Solomon leaps up at the top of the wall himself, managing to grab the edge, but cannot hang on with only his one hand. He lets go and drops to the ground. He begins another dash, this time along the wall in an attempt to go around. Filip intercepts him before he can get too far, "Hold now, Volsagi will have come in from another gate, and it will take far too long to go around. Don't go playing the fool, that's my job. And speaking of which! Let's see here." The trickster goes up to the gate and tries to wedge his dagger into the space between the large wooden doors. "No good, no. Does anyone have something long and skinny I could borrow? Not too flimsy though. Like... A hoe head?"

"Why in the Material would any of us have a hoe head?" Marcivelle receives no answer as Filip goes through his pockets for anything suiting his purposes.

"We have no time for this. We should boost someone again. Here, Thea, the two of us can boost someone else while Mirka tries again, perhaps one of us can succeed," Solomon orders the young woman over to him, the two of them readying themselves. The clan chief looks expectantly at Thordis and Alec. "One of you, if you would."

Yarl suffers 5 nonlethal falling damage.
Mirka suffers 4 lethal damage from a falling object landing on him - that object being Yarl.
Mirka is immediately healed for 9 hit points.

BramsesII
2014-12-11, 05:04 PM
Alec has been looking around distractedly when she's suddenly addressed by the clan chief. She looks back at the man, realizing that now is the time to do her job as a weaponthane. She nods vigorously, "I'll do it." before being hoisted up and trying to climb over the wall, first peeking over carefully to make sure there are no archers trained on her position.

Climb check! [roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-12-11, 07:12 PM
Like Yarl before her, Alec's grip slips as she tries to get a purchase on the wall after being raised up. Her look over the wall is brief, too brief to get any details other than what may have been firelight. She soon finds the sky fleeing and the ground rushing up to meet her, as she lands on an unfortunate Chief Solomon, who collapses with a grunt. Thankfully she weighs far less than a fully armored shieldthane. Thea reaches down to untangle the two of them and help them up. "Pardon me for saying so, but I don't think this plan is working. If anyone has some rope we could try lassoing it around the merlons?"

"If you're all done fooling around, I might be able to lift some of the door's mechanisms out of place, make it easier to bust open, you know? Lockpicks won't work. They'll just break. Switchblade won't work, it's too short. I need something to get the right leverage."

"Is that even possible? It seems like a critical design flaw if someone can just pick the gate's lock mechanism," after confirming the chief has no major injuries, Talin goes to see what the Trickster is doing.

"It's not as easy as it sounds. Not even sure it'll work, but hey, that's why we have guards posted. Had guards posted."

Alec falls, taking 2 nonlethal damage.
Solomon takes a whopping 1 lethal damage from being landed on.

raspberrybadger
2014-12-12, 01:58 AM
Thordis is taken aback, but refuses to let it show. She offers her longspear to Fillip, saying "It may be that the attempt would go better with this."

RandomWombat
2014-12-15, 12:03 PM
Filip takes the spear and looks it over, comparing it to the door. "Yes, thin spearhead, fairly sturdy, haft for leverage. This will do nicely. Give me a moment."

Filip attempts a Disable Device check to lift a few of the lock mechanisms out of place, making it easier to ram the door open.

[roll0] vs DC 20.
This effort takes [roll1] rounds.

The whole process takes far more time than some may have liked, the sounds of combat and cries of pain in the distance wearing on their nerves. It feels as though Filip has been at it for an eternity when he backs away and nods at his handiwork. "Everything that can be moved out of place is out of place. You all should stand a chance of busting it open now." With a twirling flourish he returns the spear to Thordis. "Many thanks."

Prehysterical
2014-12-15, 12:11 PM
Every second that Filip has to spend in order to get the gate open is agony to Yarl. Filip is not even halfway finished speaking before Yarl puts his shoulder forward and slams into the gate.
[roll0]

RandomWombat
2014-12-15, 12:36 PM
Without missing a beat, Yarl shoulder checks the gate and the creak of breaking wood heralds its swinging open. The tula spreads before them, the southern barracks and the yeti longhouse visible and undamaged. On the main street the party can see a group of the fyrd struggling to defend their homes from a unit of Volsagi militiamen, whose superior training is made clear in their impending victory. One of them is wearing heavier armor and carrying a flaming brazier. The armored man is in the process of setting fire to one of the homes, to the despair of one of the fyrd defenders. His distraction sees him slain by a militiaman who takes advantage of the opening. More fires can be seen further down the main street, and smoke hangs in the air. The militiamen have noticed the gate crashing open, and are preparing themselves to fight the new force as well as their current outmatched foes.

Everyone may now roll Initiative. For the sake of ease, this Initiative will be used throughout the invasion, with new combatants being simply inserted into the order.

Quakes
2014-12-15, 03:54 PM
Not wanting to waste the surprise of bursting into the encampment, Mirka targets the apparent leader with a spell.

whenever I come up in initiative - cast heat metal on the big guy (assuming heavy armor means metal)
Will Save DC 15 to negate

RandomWombat
2014-12-17, 02:22 AM
Alec - 25
Filip - 22
Mirka - 17
Himmiskan Weaponthanes - 16
Talin - 15
Barr - 12
Volsagi Militiamen - 11
Yarl - 10
Thordis - 10
Volsagi Torchbearer - 10
Himmiskan Fyrd - 9
Solomon - 7
Marcivelle - 7

PCs need not wait for NPC allies to act before making their own actions. That means Alec and Barr may act now.

From their gathering around the gate the party sees seven Volsagi clustered around three surviving members of the fyrd, including the torchbearer lighting the Himmiskan homes on fire. Thea remains behind outside of the gate, but the rest of the Clan Ring joins their champions. The weaponthane guards who'd accompanied them to the challenge move up alongside Solomon.

The Volsagi warriors are clad in leather armor and carrying standard issue fyrd shortspears, with small wooden shields. Their torchbearer is dressed in a sturdy breastplate, with greaves protecting his legs and bracers on his forearms. A full helmet conceals his face, and he appears to be armed only with the large iron brazier. The Volsagi militia clearly outmatch the Himmiskan civilians, who are armed with simple shortspears and clubs, but lack shields or proper armor.

Himmiskan Weaponthanes: 2 alive
Himmiskan Fyrd: 3 alive
Volsagi Militiamen: 6 alive

http://s28.postimg.org/plg3kuuu5/citymap1.png

Darker grey circles are the militiamen, the colored one near them is the torchbearer. The lighter grey circles are NPC Extra allies (anyone without PC class levels).
The indigo circle next to Barr is Mirka, not to be confused with the other purple circle, which is Filip.
The red rectangles are fire, which will spread each round.

BramsesII
2014-12-17, 04:31 PM
Alec does not hesitate one second. She takes a step back and casts a simple spell with seemingly no effect.

From behind the wall, the sounds of heavy boots on the ground can be heard, mixed with several intimidating Himmiskan war cries. It sounds like there's twelve armored, angry making their way to the gate.

5 ft step backwards
Casting ghost sound (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/ghost-sound) behind the wall (lasts 3 rounds, sounds like 12 warriors making their way towards the gate)

RandomWombat
2014-12-21, 01:37 AM
Alec - 25
Filip - 22
Mirka - 17
Talin - 15
Barr - 12
Volsagi Militiamen - 11
Yarl - 10
Thordis - 10
Volsagi Torchbearer - 10
Himmiskan Fyrd - 9
Solomon - 7
Marcivelle - 7

It is now Yarl and Thordis' actions.

Without delay, Alec conjures an illusion suggesting Himmiskan reinforcements not far behind the group. The Volsagi torchbearer turns towards the sound and makes a few signals, speaking at a volume the group can't quite clear. He seems to be giving orders to his comrades. Mirka doesn't give them time to follow up before moving in to deliver the gift of heat to the torchbearer's armor. The warmth in the cold will soon be far less comforting than it at first appears.

Filip glides ahead past Solomon, flinging his dagger across the battlefield. The militiaman he targets sees it out of the corner of his eye in time to deflect it with his shield, but the small blade sails back whence it came. Its handle smoothly places itself back in Filip's hand. The two weaponthanes form up next to Mirka, and Talin stays with the rear guard.

Barr sees his opportunity when the militiaman recoils from the impact of Filip's dagger and charges forward. He deals a decisive diagonal chop to the first target in line, nearly sending to the ground immediately.

Two militiamen to the right quickly cut down the injured Himmiskan fyrdman caught between them, then begin maneuvering away from the intimidating figure of Barr. The heavy-hitting champion finds his target stabbing at him with a spear, but the blow hits at a bad angle and deflects off of his armor. The other two behind that soldier focus on mopping up their previous targets, ganging up on the one caught next to both of them. The fyrd manages to block one strike, but it leaves him open to a solid wound from the other. The last Volsagi militiaman runs in from behind, but the fyrd hears the footsteps and ducks aside before he can be struck.

Alec's Ghost Sound is successful.
Mirka's Heat Metal spell is successful. The target's armor is now Warm, and will continue to heat up next round.
Filip misses Militiaman 1.
Barr charges and deals 11 damage to Militiaman 1. Barr is not currently bloodraging.
Militiamen 2 and 5 attack Fyrd 2 for 15 damage total, leaving him critically injured and bleeding out.
Militiaman 1 attacks Barr and misses.
Militiamen 3, 4, and 6 attack Fyrd 3. M3 and M6 miss, but M4 gets a hit in for 7 damage.

Himmiskan Weaponthanes: 2 alive
Himmiskan Fyrd: 3 alive, 1 bleeding out, 1 wounded
Volsagi Militiamen: 6 alive, 1 heavily injured

http://s27.postimg.org/6vu3468wz/cityfight1.png

Prehysterical
2014-12-23, 01:47 PM
Recovering from the shock of breaking down the gate, Yarl rushes forward to engage the same Volsagi that Barr is doing battle with.

"Volsagi bastards! Hemakt! Orlanth!" Yarl calls out to his gods as his hammer swings down.
Charge, +2 attack, -2 AC
attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
crit: [roll2]
crit damage: [roll3]

RandomWombat
2014-12-27, 01:32 PM
Alec - 25
Filip - 22
Mirka - 17
Talin - 15
Barr - 12
Volsagi Militiamen - 11
Yarl - 10
Thordis - 10
Volsagi Torchbearer - 10
Himmiskan Fyrd - 9
Solomon - 7
Marcivelle - 7

We are now back at the top of the order with Alec, Mirka, and Barr.

Joining Barr at the front line, Yarl delivers a blow with his hammer. The Volsagi soldier manages to avoid the worst of the damage, but is barely standing under the combined attacks. Behind them Thordis moves into range for her hex, aiming it at the uninjured soldier directly ahead. Noticing the effects of the hex before he nods off, he is able to withstand the Slumber hex.

The torchbearer steps forward to join his soldiers and swings his brazier, striking the Himmiskan fighter already surrounded. The brutal attack strikes the back of the man's head, killing him on the spot. Against the overwhelming enemy force the last standing warrior of the fyrd simply cowers and takes a small step back up against the wall, lifting his shield to defend against attack. Solomon wastes no time in charging ahead next to the cowering fyrd and taking a swing with his sword at the nearest standing aggressor. The militiaman tries to fight back, but is parried and sent sprawling to the ground.

Marcivelle remains where she is next to Alec, unsure what to do to help.

Yarl deals 6 damage to Militiaman 1.
Thordis' hex is resisted by Militiaman 2
The torchbearer critically hits Fyrd 3 for 18 damage, killing him.
Fyrd 1 is taking a Total Defense action.
Solomon provokes an attack of opportunity from Militiaman 1, but it misses. He deals 8 damage to Militiaman 1, leaving him bleeding out.

Himmiskan Fyrd: (2) is bleeding out, (3) is dead
Himmiskan Weaponthanes: No injuries
Volsagi Militiamen: (1) is bleeding out

http://s17.postimg.org/6ly6zuklr/citymap1.png

BramsesII
2014-12-31, 06:45 AM
The sounds of approaching warriors can still be heard as Alec takes another step back, speaking a few words of what might possibly an incantation. Behind her, several heavily armed and armored Himmiskan warriors come into view, standing four rows thick. The force is comprised of both melee and ranged warriors as normal for a Himmiskan force, and Alec's serious expression turns to a slightly forced grin. Focus, Alec. The men ready their weapons and Alec yells out.

"Good timing, men! Drop your weapons and surrender, Volsagi scum, or be cut down where you stand!"

5 ft step back
Standard action to cast Silent Image (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/silent-image) (DC 16 will save if interacted with)
Ghost sound lasts another 2 rounds

raspberrybadger
2015-01-01, 01:49 AM
Thordis is convinced there's some further treachery - what she's seen so far seems like it will fail nicely. So she saves her spells, concentrates on putting another warrior to sleep, and readies herself to put up a stone shield just in case there's a sudden volley of arrows or some such.

Quakes
2015-01-12, 11:43 AM
Mirka is waiting to see how the soldiers react before making any moves of his own. Hopefully, they'll decide that it's smarter to run away.

RandomWombat
2015-01-16, 01:29 AM
Alec - 25
Filip - 22
Mirka - 17
Talin - 15
Barr - 12
Volsagi Militiamen - 11
Yarl - 10
Thordis - 10
Volsagi Torchbearer - 10
Himmiskan Fyrd - 9
Solomon - 7
Marcivelle - 7

Crackling flames spread on the wooden buildings. As he sees the 'soldiers' file in behind Alec the torchbearer proclaims, "Himmiskan is past its prime! Volsagi will unite this land, and you will be a footnote burnt down to farmland! All units, fall back to the main force. We will show these fools what a real army looks like."

"We'll see how much you're boasting when I cut out that tongue of yours' from all the way over here!" Filip counters with his own bravado. Moving up behind Mirka, he lobs his dagger over everyone's heads, only for it to fall onto a roof nearby and slowly drag itself off to return to his hand. "Or not that works too."

Mirka's handiwork begins to bear fruit, as the torchbearer fidgets uncomfortably. His armor is heating up and giving him a taste of his own medicine. Emboldened by the enemy's retreat, however assured they may seem in their victory, the weaponthanes eagerly move up to join the melee. One of them gets within stabbing range of a Volsagi militiaman and applies his shortsword with extreme prejudice, slicing through the enemy's leather armor. The other thane positions himself between the last standing fyrd and the enemy forces.

Throwing caution to the wind old Talin hobbles quickly into the midst of battle on his walking stick, making a beeline for the clan's fallen defender. "Cover me! I can still save him!" Barr steps up to the task, aiming to deliver a decisive strike to the Volsagi, but his blade is deflected with a lucky motion of the shield.

Stabbing with their spears, the Volsagi make a slow fighting retreat. A spear lands with a thud in the body of the Himmiskan clanmate Talin was about to bend down and heal, leaving the old man stunned speechless.

"Coward!" Solomon shouts at the offending militiaman as he flees, leaving his comrades behind.

Himmiskan Fyrd: (2) is dead, (3) is dead
Himmiskan Weaponthanes: No injuries
Volsagi Militiamen: (1) is bleeding out, (3) is moderately wounded.

The fire is spreading.
Filip misses with his Returning Dagger.
Mirka's Heat Metal spell intensifies, dealing 3 damage to the torchbearer. Mirka is delaying action.
Weaponthane2 critically hits V.Militiaman3 for 10 damage.
Barr misses V.Militiaman2.

V.Militiaman2 hits Barr for 6 damage and takes a step back.
V.Militiaman3 misses Solomon and takes a step back.
V.Militiaman4 hits Barr for 3 damage and takes a step back.
V.Militiaman5 throws his spear at the dying Himmiskan fyrd, killing him, then flees the area.
V.Militiaman6 misses Weaponthane1 and takes a step back.

It is now Thordis' and Yarl's action. Mirka may act at any time with his delayed action.

http://s29.postimg.org/4diyhf95z/citymap1.png

In the Initiative section, I have used Blue to mark character who can currently act, including Mirka who 'passed' and is delaying action. This will only be temporary of course; after this encounter we're switching over to party average initiative.

Quakes
2015-01-19, 10:22 AM
Mirka steps closer to the action and fires an icicle at one of the warriors that just wounded Barr.

Target Volsagi 3
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

Prehysterical
2015-01-20, 01:32 PM
Yarl's blood is fully up now. He charges forward after another militiaman, aiding the weaponthane before him.
Charging M3, +2 attack, -2 AC (20)
If W1 is targeted, Yarl can give him an immediate +2 shield bonus.
Crit: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

RandomWombat
2015-01-30, 01:53 AM
Yarl pounces over the fallen Volsagi, delivering a lunging hammer blow to the next one in line. The distinct sound of cracking bone follows as the militaman takes a hit to the ribs. Seconds later a deadly sharp spike of ice goes flying past the young man's face, nearly making him fall over. Next to him his commander is less fortunate. Thords moves in and weaves some of her spirit magic, sending the torchbearer into a deep slumber before he can react.

Moments later Yarl finds the spear-bearing Himmiskan lad standing next to him - the last of the fyrd still standing - and striking the injured Volsagi. Staggering back, the aggressor falls to the ground. He isn't getting back in the fight anytime soon. Past the two of them comes Solomon storming, driving his sword down upon the soldier. Recklessly attacking doesn't have as powerful an effect as he'd hoped, but the hit is solid.

Alec and her illusory soldiers march forward - Marcivelle tentatively moves alongside her and tries to look confident. Closer now, Filip flings his dagger through the crowd. It lodges into the man's leg and slowly pulls itself out, retracing its arc back to Filip's hand. "Much better. That's what I was trying to do in the first place."

Raising his sword, the weaponthane next to Yarl plunges his sword into the torchbearer's fallen body and killing the overconfident soldier. Talin is only able to stand where he is and raise his staff defensively, caution in his eyes as he fears another flying spear will come his way. Seeing his vulnerable position the second weaponthane wades into the melee. Barr swings forward in the same motion as he steps, but his sword meets only the dirt of the road.

Their leader fallen and the enemy upon them, the Volsagi forces panic and flee, leaving themselves open. Two get away and sprint down the road, but Barr thrusts his sword up and impales the last, who drops to the ground amid his bleeding comrades. The fires still spread and the smell of baking human flesh wafts from the dead torchbearer as Mirka's spell continues heating his armor.

"Wait!" Solomon lowers his sword to the side to signal for everyone to stop before they go chasing the two runners. "They'll be going straight to the main force like the one with the torch ordered. We need to regroup with whatever resistance is left in the fight, we can't walk right into - hey-" Barr goes bolting forward despite the chief's protest, chasing down his quarry. "Stop! We can't fight that many on our own!" His please fall on deaf hears, too enthralled in bloodlust and vengeance. Soon Barr and the fleeing foes are fading out of sight in the burning streets. One of the nearby houses collapses in on itself as the fire consumes its foundations.

"Where would Aldric rally the defense?" Marcivelle calls out from behind the group.

Mirka's icicle misses.
Yarl charges Militiaman3 for 5 damage, leaving him heavily injured.
Thordis hexes the Torchbearer, sending him to sleep.
Fyrd1 strikes Militiaman3 for 5 damage, dropping him.
Solomon strikes Militiaman4 for 5 damage, leaving him lightly injured.

The fire is spreading.

Filip throws his dagger at Militiaman4 for 3 damage, leaving him moderately injured.
Weaponthane1 coups the Torchbearer, killing him.
Weaponthane2 strikes Militiaman2 for 7 damage, leaving him moderately injured.
Barr misses Militiaman2.

Militiaman2 runs away, provoking attacks from Barr, W2, and Solomon. W2 misses, Barr hits for 15 damage and leaves him bleeding out, Solomon chooses not to attack.
Militiaman4 runs away, provoking an attack from Solomon, who hits for 3 damage.
Militiaman6 runs away.

Combat is over unless the remaining PCs choose to pursue alongside Barr.

Quakes
2015-01-30, 06:18 PM
You know the town better than I. Rally where you think best. I will try to keep our overeager friend alive.

Mirka charges off after Barr, trying not to fall too far behind, despite his plodding stride.

Prehysterical
2015-01-30, 06:37 PM
Yarl's mind races as try to put himself in Aldric's shoes. The West Barracks, the most defensible position if the Volsagi had come from the northeast, seemed to empty. Suddenly Yarl's eyes widen as the full intent of the Volsagi becomes clear to him.

"The farms!" Shock registers in his voice as he loudly states his thoughts. "The Volsagi don't want us to surrender; they want us dead. Aldric must have taken his men to the fields to find room for the women and children while they stop the Volsagi from burning what few crops we have."

Turning to Solomon, Yarl firmly says, "I don't know if that's where Aldric is right now, but we can't stand here. We have to move!"

RandomWombat
2015-01-31, 04:18 PM
Before any decisions can be made, Mirka runs off after Barr. Solomon sighs and turns to face Yarl and the others still gathered. "You are surely right, Yarl. Aldric would evacuate the non-combatants first when it became clear Volsagi was taking no prisoners." The chief turns his gaze northwards towards the farms. "The farmsteads are not defensible. After he evacuates the families there he will try to regroup with what remains of our forces. We should find him and help deliver the survivors to safety."

"Alec, Thordis," Solomon turns to address the spellcasters, "Take Marcivelle, Thea, Talin, and these men and travel along the wall to the southeast gate. Find the cavalry. Their horses will be needed to take the non-combatants to safety." The men mentioned are the fyrd fighters who survived. One is kneeling next to the injured one while Talin patches his wounds to get him back on his feet.

"Father, you're alive!" embracing the elder, injured fighter, the younger one sobs in relief. Talin stands back from his handiwork.

The old man shakes his head, "I would prefer to remain and help, chief. My healing magic can aid you and I have a few other spells that may prove useful."

"Very well. Filip, Yarl, Talin, the three of you will come with me to find Aldric. We will start our search at the inner farms," Solomon readies his sword to carry on. Lastly he addresses the two weaponthanes with him, "Go after Mirka and Barr. Help evacuate anyone you can reach and meet us at the southeast gate. Try not to let them get themselves killed." His orders given, Solomon leads the way northwest through the empty training fields and towards the farmland within the walls. Filip wipes the blood off of his dagger on the leather armor of one of the dying Volsagi and follows close behind, with Talin hobbling along after on his walking stick. Thea and Marcivelle had been hanging back from the fighting, but now helped the injured fyrd walk while they followed Alec and Thordis. The two thanes take off after Mirka.

As the group approaches the field it becomes clear that the flames have not yet reached the farms, or they would have already spread like a wildfire. In the distance they see a group assembled near one of the westermost farmsteads. It is not clear from this distance whether they are Volsagi or Himmiskan.

"We should approach with caution, there look to be a lot of them," Filip suggests.

Barr already has a head start, and Mirka's heavy stature slows his advance. He hears the clanking of armor and notices the two weaponthane guards following behind him. The heat is sweltering with so many buildings on fire. A few structures have already collapsed, but some are just starting to catch. From an alley off of the main street a man in the garb of an innkeeper runs out into the open, chased by a more heavily armored Volsagi warrior than the ones faced previously. This one wears a breastplate, with leather padding on his arms and legs. He carries a steel shield and a battleaxe, with a trio of throwing hammers looped to his belt. The innkeeper hides behind Mirka, "Please help me! They're killing everyone!"

Mirka may now roll initiative.

Prehysterical
2015-01-31, 07:22 PM
Yarls turns to the others and says, "Let me go first. I can hold my own for a few moments if they attack." Yarl marches forward toward the group, shield proudly displaying the holy symbol of Orlanth.

RandomWombat
2015-02-02, 12:58 AM
As Yarl approaches he gets a better look at the group, which is not wearing Volsagi equipment. They appear to be a group of Himmiskan fyrd as well as some unarmed craftsmen and children. A woman runs out of the farmhouse with two small boys and joins the group. Yarl is spotted and a familiar figure steps out of the fyrd to confront him, only to recognize him in turn.

"Yarl! Thank Orlanth you've returned. Aldric has us gathering what people Volsagi has not yet slaughtered," Alec the old, Alexis' father, walks forward to meet Yarl. The stiff-jointed old man carries with him his warhammer and is clad in a set of leather armor instead of the weaponthane's off-duty clothing he was last seen in. "Where are the others?"

Prehysterical
2015-02-02, 01:06 AM
Yarl is relieved at the sight of surviving kinsmen. "The chief is with me, as are Filip and Talin. Barr ran off by himself, as usual, and Mirka is trying to keep his sorry hide intact. Thordis and your daughter are linking up with our cavalry. Get Aldric and tell him we need to start moving people to the southeast gate. Hopefully, the Volsagi will be too busy fighting fyrd and burning homes to overrun us before we can regroup with the rest. Move!"

Quakes
2015-02-02, 12:09 PM
It seems that Barr will have to take care of himself for a while. He draws his weapons and stands in front of the innkeeper with the weaponthanes, ready to defend this one's life.

[roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-02-02, 01:26 PM
"Understood, sir. Aldric had the same idea; the fires have spread too far to put out, we need to get as many people out as we can and regroup," Alec points northward, "He's gone further into the fields with Hugo. Who will guide these men and women to the gate?"

Seeing no signs of fighting, Chief Solomon and the other two Ring members approach from behind Yarl. "More survivors, good. The Volsagi will not have us snuffed out today."

"Or any other day one would hope."

=Party= 19
Mirka

=Event Turn: Fire Spreads= 15

=Allies= 8
Himmiskan Weaponthanes
Innkeeper

=Enemies= 4
Volsagi Weaponthane

Mirka is already on guard when the enemy comes into view, while the armored Volsagi on the other hand was not expecting so much armed resistance around the corner. Mirka has the initiative.

http://s27.postimg.org/j93zscug3/citymap2.png

Prehysterical
2015-02-02, 11:58 PM
"I will escort them to the gate. I bear the shield for the clan, and I will not shirk that duty." Turning to Solomon, he says, "Your brother has gone further north. Do what you must, but I must get the families to safety."

RandomWombat
2015-02-04, 12:47 PM
"I understand. We will bring Aldric and anyone he has gathered to meet up with you at the gate. Alec, I would ask that you help Yarl deliver them to safety," Solomon orders. The old weaponthane nods and stands beside Yarl. Solomon, Filip, and Talin continue further into the fields in search of Aldric and Hugo.

"I'll follow your lead. Which way should we go to bring these people to safety?"

Some of the men and women are of the fyrd and carry weapons. Others are either unfit for combat, or simply couldn't grab anything to fight with in the time they had to flee their homes. In the crowd there are a total of five armed men and three unarmed, three armed and unarmed women each, and five children. Two of the women and one of the men are hunters, armed with shortbows and with daggers at their hips. The others with weapons have shortspears.

It's up to Yarl which route to take to the southeast gate.

Prehysterical
2015-02-04, 06:50 PM
After considering for a few seconds, Yarl says, "We need to head south to the West Barracks. We don't know if the main Volsagi force has reached the center of the settlement yet, and it will give us a chance to arm ourselves. The best fight we can have at this point is no fight. We just need to get to the southeast gate, but we can exit out the southwest gate if they try to pin us or cut us off."

RandomWombat
2015-02-09, 02:44 AM
"Good plan. Take Alec with you, Filip and Talin will come with me. Once we find Aldric, Hugo, and any survivors they reached in time, we will follow behind you," Solomon is already jogging further into the fields. Filip follows behind him readily, while Talin has to push himself to keep up.

Alec follows Yarl with surprising capability for his age. Clearly, despite his decline from physical prime, he has been trying to keep fit. "Come then, I could use some real armor." His expression and tone hint at dissatisfaction with being ordered to retreat rather than carry on with the chief, but he follows the order nonetheless.

Back through the fields they go, the crowd of survivors following behind. Everyone is on alert for Volsagi. To the east it is apparent that some of the crops have started to catch fire; unhindered it would spread quickly through the farmers' fields. Ahead is the dutifully kept training field and the barracks behind it, its armory promising access to a few heavier pieces of armor and better weapons for those with the capability to use them.

RandomWombat
2015-02-11, 02:06 AM
The fields of produce are left behind as the assembled band of survivors files into the western barracks. They find it empty, the guards already elsewhere dealing with the attack. Except that is for a single man sleeping in one of the bunks, who appears to have slept through the panic undisturbed.

Weapon racks are raided for those without spears, and anyone without a suit of leather armor is found a spare set in as close a size as possible. Discarding his own suit and handing it off to one of the men of the fyrd, Alec dons a slightly heavier shirt of chainmail and a steel half-helmet. A few of the men and women look around for armor that would fit the children, but find nothing small enough. They are instead given small shields to help them protect themselves and instructed to run as fast and far as they can if things look bad.

While he fiddles with the armor to get it fitting right, Alec nods towards the sleeping man. "Somebody get that lazy lump up and moving will you?"

One of the already armed and armored fyrd men nudges the sleeping weaponthane and he awakes with a start. "Ah! What? Did I oversleep again?"

Prehysterical
2015-02-14, 03:08 PM
Yarl rarely shouts, but he had never raged. Now, as the weaponthane lay on his cot, however, Yarl was filled with righteous anger. Grabbing the weaponthane's collar with his right hand, he shouts,

"Orlanth and Hemakt have mercy on your lazy hide! The Volsagi are burning our homes and killing our families! On your feet!!!"

RandomWombat
2015-02-16, 03:25 AM
The shouting doesn't seem to do much, but grabbing the man and pulling him up into a sitting position causes him to stir. He looks around in a stunned half-asleep daze and mumbles something incoherent. Lifting up his hands after a moment to take everything in he tries to extricate himself from Yarl's grip. "Awright awright, I'm up! What's going on?" Taking note of Alec and the fyrd his tone becomes more worried, "Did.. did something go south with the contest...? Knew we couldn't trust them Drovos."

Prehysterical
2015-02-16, 04:42 PM
Unable to believe his ears, Yarl shoves the man back onto the bed. Looking to Alec, he says, "I'm not waiting. We need to leave now. Get everyone moving."

RandomWombat
2015-02-17, 09:38 AM
"Ready here," Alec smooths out his chain shirt and picks up his hammer again. He motions to the door and the fyrd begin to file out. As everyone leaves, the lazy weaponthane sits up and rubs his eyes, still confused as to what's going on.

Outside the fire has spread into the fields. At this rate it may cut off the Chief's way out and force him to go through the center of the tula and push through any Volsagi resistance. The southwest gate is easily accessible, allowing the group to travel around the wall and reach the southeast gate from the outside.

Prehysterical
2015-02-17, 10:54 AM
Yarl looks toward the flames, hoping that his chieftain is all right. As much as he wishes to be helping Solomon, however, Yarl recognizes that all will be for naught if Himmiskan meets its end today.

He moves with everyone to the southwest gate, staying on the north end of the refugee column to intercept any Volsagi raiders.

RandomWombat
2015-02-17, 09:29 PM
Exiting the tula, Yarl can still see smoke rising above Drovos' tula. It's likely they're facing the same threat as Himmiskan. Traveling along the outside of the wall brings the group to the southern corner, turning onto the countryside used for the raising and training of livestock. Barns, pastures, and courses to run through on horses dot the plains. Guardtowers and smaller palisades are erected to stave off raids from Drovos, now unmanned as manpower is directed elsewhere. The path through the palisade is reached and ahead Yarl can see a gathering of other survivors, accompanied by a few cavalrymen. When their group is spotted one of the mounted weaponthanes rides over to see who it is.

"Hail shieldthane and company! Glad to see you all alive. Our lines are holding off the Volsagi inside so that survivors can make it through, but we could use the aid of those willing to fight," the thane turns and rides back towards the gathered noncombatant survivors outside the wall. Alec readies his warhammer for combat and strides boldly beside Yarl. Despite his obvious weakening age he is the only other sworn weaponthane among the group.

"We should join them inside the walls and buy as much time as we can for the others to reach us."

Prehysterical
2015-02-18, 07:09 PM
Yarl is loathe to split up their forces so. However, he cannot let cowardice keep him from his duty. Tightening his grip on his hammer, Yarl nods grimly and says, "Aye."

RandomWombat
2015-02-19, 01:27 AM
The horseman leads Yarl and his company to the gates, where Marcivelle and Thea are gathered with children and craftsmen. Horses wait nearby to take the survivors to... wherever they decide to flee to, when the option to wait for more no longer becomes plausible. A group of the fyrd under command of another mounted thane are keeping watch to the northeast in case Volsagi decide to bypass the wall just as Yarl did. Yarl, Alec, and the three hunters are directed through the gate. The rest of the fyrd remain to guard their families from any unexpected attacks. The thane guiding dismounts and sends his horse to join the others, following inside the gate.

Inside there have been some crude defenses put together, tables dragged out of the nearest homes and upturned as cover. Some hunters have gone up onto the walls for a vantage point, others taking cover behind the makeshift barricades. Mounted and footsoldiers alike are on guard and staring out at the burning homes with a mix of rage, fear, and despair. Everything they'd worked to build and protect is now in flames. The hunters accompanying Yarl and Alec take up their places on watch for movement. The weaponthane guide explains the situation, "Alec - erm, the younger Alec that is - and the shaman went out with some of the thanes to try and find survivors. We've been here making sure there's somewhere safe to bring them. We fought off some of the Volsagi who came across us and decided to attack, but they pulled back. They might return with more."

"If there are survivors left I doubt they'll make it back without help. But there doesn't seem to be anyone in charge here unless we step up."

Yarl's father, Baldur, is not among the survivors gathered here, and his beast of burden (along with his survival gear) was at the stables last he saw it. The fires are becoming increasingly intense however, and the Volsagi are still out there slaughtering anyone they can get their hands on.

Prehysterical
2015-02-19, 02:38 PM
As the flames creep closer, Yarl remembers his bison in the stables. As much as he aches to go out into the town and find his father, Yarl acknowledges that the animal had served his father's father. Shame would eat away at him if he let the beast burn to death in the stables.

Turning to Alec, Yarl says, "My family keeps supplies in the stable with our mount. I shall be back as swiftly as I can. Hold here. No sense in us risking more men on this." Yarl takes off before Alec can protest.

RandomWombat
2015-02-20, 02:15 AM
Charging into the heat of the burning houses, Yarl finds that the spreading fire is far more treacherous than it was at the edge of the fire. The air is smoky and his armor is quickly becoming too warm for comfort. There are no signs of the Volagi; perhaps they've pulled back now to let the tula burn. It's clear as he presses on that the fire is going to be his greatest foe in his effort to reach the stables.

Each round in a heavily burning area, Yarl must make a Fortitude save against the smoke (DC 15+1 per consecutive rounds exposed to smoke) or be Staggered by a fit of coughing for that round. Every two consecutive rounds he fails this check inflicts 1d6 nonlethal damage. Going Prone lets him duck below the smoke and take a breath, and he is not exposed to smoke damage while prone.

While standing near a heavily burning building he takes 1d6 fire damage unless he holds his breath, and his armor is under the effects of the heat metal spell, increasing in intensity as he remains there. Standing away from fires lets his armor cool. Being inside a burning building causes the same effect except that holding his breath does not protect against the fire damage, and his presence necessitates a Reflex save (flat DC 15) to avoid catching on fire for an additional 1d6 fire damage per round.

Every minute (10 rounds) Yarl must make a Fortitude Save (DC 15+number previous saves) vs heat or take 1d4 nonlethal damage. While wearing his heavy armor he takes a -4 to this save.

This is a slightly less dangerous version of the rules for a Forest Fire.

Fortunately the stables are near the gate Yarl is coming from, and he doesn't need to go far. Ahead he sees two horses and a bison have already gotten out of the pens and are running around in a panic. In fact, one of the panicked horses is charging down the hazy main street straight towards him!

Yarl may now roll Initiative.
Map Legend:
Grey ovals with white centers are horses. Grey ovals with brown centers are bison. The brown oval is Yarl's Bison. Yarl is the brown circle.

This area is currently under the effects of heavy fire, and so Yarl must make a save vs Smoke Inhalation, as do each of the animals (several times since they've been in the smoke a few rounds already and would have had to save against the heat at least once already).

http://s23.postimg.org/443f9qyju/citymap3.jpg

Prehysterical
2015-02-20, 03:14 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
Fort Save: [roll1]
Initiating fighting defensively to gain +2 AC, assuming that Yarl goes first. 5 foot step to the right, toward the not-so-burny building.

The smoke is worse than Yarl had first thought. He is surprised by the blind panicked rampage of the horse. He tries to move aside and let the animal pass by, shield raised to fend off the beast's hooves.

RandomWombat
2015-02-20, 03:58 PM
Party Phase - 22
Ally Phase - 15
Neutral Phase - 11

Raising his shield, Yarl readily sidesteps the charging horse. Focused entirely on getting away from the fire the animal barrels past him down the main street towards the southeast gate. The sounds of panicked animals grow louder, and the sound of splintering wood can be heard. The fires around him continue to catch and he hears a crash as a building somewhere out of sight collapses.

Yarl's Bison does not like being stuck in the (rapidly heating) corner and attacks Horse 4, but misses.

Horse 1 leaves the field, charging past Yarl.
Horse 2 is Staggered by smoke inhalation.
Horse 3 jumps the pen and runs onto the street.
Horse 4 full attacks Yarl's Bison, but its attacks fail to connect.
Horse 5 cowers.

Bison 1 attacks the wooden gate of the pen for 14 damage.
Bison 2 runs around looking for somewhere to go that is not on fire.

It is Yarl's second round in the smoke, increasing the difficulty of the struggle against its harmful effects. He may now act again.

http://s28.postimg.org/poxsx5qz0/citymap3.jpg

Prehysterical
2015-02-20, 04:45 PM
[roll0]

Yarl moves toward the stable, stepping just far enough left to avoid the burning building while giving the loose bison room to run. The smoke begins to affect him, and he coughs to try and clear his lungs.

RandomWombat
2015-02-22, 01:31 PM
With the hot smoke stinging his eyes and lungs, Yarl struggles forward. His eyes are watering and make it difficult to see, but the loud crash and bright flash ahead of him tells him one of the buildings has collapsed, sending flickering fire and rubble into the dirt street.

A nearby building collapses, but Yarl is outside of the range of damage.
Yarl is Staggered by smoke, but moves 20 ft. further towards the stables.
Yarl's Bison feels the heat behind it and desperately attacks the horse in its way, dealing 15 damage and suffering 6 damage from proximity to the fire. This knocks the horse out due to nonlethal damage it's already taken.

Horse 2 runs around, but fails to find a way away from the fire.
Horse 3 is Staggered by the smoke and slowly moves away from the fire.
Horse 4 is unconscious and prone.
Horse 5 responds to Horse 4 being attacked by lashing out at Yarl's Bison. One of the hoof attacks hits for 5 damage.

Bison 1 is Staggered, but strikes the wooden gate again for 15 damage.
Bison 2 is Staggered, and startled by the collapsing building.

Here is a link to the map (http://s4.postimg.org/ezyuvmpik/citymap3.jpg).

Prehysterical
2015-02-22, 06:25 PM
Fort save: [roll0]
Nonlethal (if needed): [roll1]

Yarl continues to move forward, his eyes streaming. He shifts left to avoid the collapsed burning rubble, still trying to leave room for the loose bison.

RandomWombat
2015-02-23, 01:06 AM
Instinctively veering away from the area strewn with hot rubble, Yarl unintentionally finds himself in the center of the street; directly in the path of anything trying to stay as far from the fire as possible. Ahead he becomes aware of the sound of splintering wood. Then, from the smoke a head of him, stumbles a choking (and clearly not combat-trained) horse, clearly too weak from smoke inhalation to pose a threat. The wide-eyed creature snorts in irritation at the obstacle in its path. That irritation is soon replaced with brief pain before crumpling to the ground. The bison that had charged the horse from behind huffs and prepares to clamber over its fallen body. Thankfully for Yarl, the large equine was too much of an obstacle for the bison to bowl right through the two of them. That won't stop it for long though.

Twice more the sound of cracking and crashing announces the collapse of another building, thankfully neither being from the direction of the stables.

Yarl takes [roll0] Nonlethal damage from the smoke and is Staggered again.
Yarl's Bison gores Horse 5 for 16 damage and takes 2 lethal heat damage from the fire.

Horse 2 bolts down the street towards the feast hall.
Horse 3 suffers 6 Nonlethal damage from the smoke and is Staggered.
Horse 5 passes out form smoke inhalation.

Bison 1 smashes the gate for 17 damage, leaving it barely hanging on its hinges.
Bison 2 charges and gores Horse 3 from behind, dealing 17 damage and knocking it unconscious.

Map Link (http://s22.postimg.org/68eoolo3k/citymap3.jpg).

Prehysterical
2015-02-23, 10:45 AM
Fortitude save: [roll0]
Nonlethal (correct this time): [roll1]
"Fighting defensively" to gain +2 AC

Even on a good day, Yarl would not relish the thought of standing in front of a charging bison. Today...

Raising his shield to prevent himself from being gored by the beast's horns, Yarl heads to the left and then forward to avoid the bison and give it room to run.

RandomWombat
2015-02-23, 09:31 PM
Yarl and the bison stumble through the sparks and flares from the building on the opposite side of the street from the last. Both of them avoid the other, going around the horse on opposite sides as they choke on the heavy air. Groaning announces more structures falling apart, several at once making a thunderous crack. Simultaneously a bison charges onto the street ahead, smashing its way through the stable gate and into the open - but far from safe - air.

Heat waves from collapsing buildings inflict 4 fire damage to Yarl, Bison 2, and Horse 3.
Yarl guards himself and takes a 5-foot step around the horse. He takes 6 more Nonlethal damage from the smoke.
Yarl's Bison is Staggered and takes 1 fire damage from the building.

Horse 3 is dying.
Horse 4 and 5 both take 1 damage from fire.

Bison 1 attacks the gate for 12 damage, destroying it.
Bison 2 is Staggered.

Map Link (http://s15.postimg.org/cqxdpsn6i/citymap3.jpg).

Prehysterical
2015-02-23, 11:11 PM
Fortitude: [roll0]

The heat from a collapsing building scorches Yarl in his armor. Still, he manages to shrug off the effects of the smoke for a moment. He moves forward and right to the stable.

RandomWombat
2015-02-23, 11:44 PM
Yarl passes by another heavy furred beast as its seemingly boundless energy finally fails. The beast is not his, he can tell by its lack of a readied saddle, and it lumbers away from the stable it broke free of. Following soon behind it he finally sees his own beast of burden, burned and exhausted. While fatigued now it is clearly still in pain and panic, and might lash out to get past if not calmed first. A military riding saddle is ready to go on the beast's back (another open conflict with Drovos having been feared), saddlebags hanging off either side.

Yarl takes no damage this round.
Yarl's Bison suffers 6 fire damage and 1 Nonlethal damage from smoke inhalation. It is Staggered.

Horse 3 is dying.
Horse 4 suffers 3 fire damage.
Horse 5 suffers 3 fire damage and is now dying.

Bison 1 is Staggered.
Bison 2 leaves the field.

Map Link (http://s9.postimg.org/3mjulhhn2/citymap3.jpg)

Prehysterical
2015-02-24, 01:59 PM
Fortitude: [roll0]
Handle Animal: [roll1]

"Huma, steady..." Yarl slowly approaches the animal with an outstretched open palm, trying to soothe it with his voice.

RandomWombat
2015-02-24, 09:02 PM
Finally reaching Huma, Yarl calms him with a stern and soothing command. The other bison has run off by now, leaving the two of them alone among burning rubble and dying horses. Huma is still being assaulted by smoke and heat, his breathing difficult and heavy.

Yarl takes 6 fire damage from the nearby fire, but avoids choking on the smoke long enough to calm Huma. The bison will now obey his directions.
Huma takes 3 smoke damage and 3 fire damage, and is staggered. He moves around to Yarl's other side to get away from the burning building.

The map isn't terribly important now, since there are no active threats. It's just a matter of trekking back through the smoke and heat.

Prehysterical
2015-02-24, 09:48 PM
[roll0]

Yarl knows better than to make things more difficult for Huma mounting him. The blazing heat from the burning buildings scorches him under his armor and burns the ends of his hair. Yarl gives thanks that his family had not decided yet to give Huma metal barding, or the bison might not even be alive now. Now all they have to do is get back south, away from the flames.

Grabbing Huma's reins, Yarl starts leading the bison away.

RandomWombat
2015-02-25, 01:08 AM
Keeping to the center of the road, Yarl is able to keep Huma calm and keep them both away from the burning buildings as they head back. Only the smoke is left to contend with, and the two are nearly to the edge of the burning residences.

Huma succeeds his check this round as well. One more successful smoke check and the two will be home free. If Yarl fails they'll be slowed a single additional round since he won't move so quickly while staggered, then they will be out of the fire and back in the open air.

Prehysterical
2015-02-25, 01:34 PM
[roll0]

Just a little further... Get away from the flames... Yarl once again starts coughing from the smoke. His body is racked by his lungs trying to free themselves of gunk.

RandomWombat
2015-02-26, 12:37 AM
Freedom is visible ahead through the smoke, the already thinning buildings giving way to open space and the outlines of the Himmiskan survivors' ramshackle defenses. The rough sound of bison-coughing can be heard behind him, but Huma remains calm in the presence of his master.

"Hold fire. Yarl, is that you?" Alec the Old calls out.

Yarl is Staggered, but does not take damage yet.
Huma is Staggered, but does not take smoke damage yet. He also resists his second per minute save against heat.

One more save to see if they take more damage before arriving home free.

Prehysterical
2015-02-26, 01:06 PM
[roll0]

Yarl is racked by a coughing fit before shouting a reply. "Yes, Alec! It's me!"

RandomWombat
2015-02-26, 03:20 PM
Yarl suffers another [roll0] nonlethal damage.

Stepping out of the smoke, Yarl is finally able to breathe in the clean air. The defenders remain at their posts, bows that were trained on him being lowered as he reveals himself to be one of them and not another Volsagi invader. The horse and two bison that fled earlier are all here, being soothed by some members of the fyrd experienced with livestock. Some of the table-barricades have been knocked aside, probably by the bison during their flight. Huma breathes easier now that the two are safe.

Alec attaches his hammer to his belt and approaches, helping Yarl walk back to the gates. "I see you managed to get some of the animals out of there. We've neither seen nor heard from the Volsagi or the chief. Did you find anyone else in there? How bad is it?" His voice is filled with concern for his wife and daughter, both still somewhere in the burning town. It's clear that having a moment to stop and process what's happening has weakened the old thane's resolve, where he had a task to focus on up until now.

Prehysterical
2015-02-26, 03:26 PM
Gasping as he finally gets fresh air back into his lungs, Yarl responds, "You give me too much credit. The animals broke themselves out. I know that at least one of the horses was killed by the bison. I saw no one else. The stables, and the homes around them, were blazing like furnaces. I was lucky to get out alive, let alone with Huma. If the fire keeps spreading, we won't be able to stay here much longer.

...As much as I hate to say it, we should abandon the barricade and regroup with the others. We can set up a perimeter around the gate and catch any Volsagi coming after survivors in a crossfire. The Volsagi have plenty of fire, and these wooden barricades might well wind up being funeral pyres. I would go into the town to look for more, but I don't think that I can handle any more of the smoke."

RandomWombat
2015-02-26, 03:53 PM
"At least you made it back," the two of them reach the gate and Alec looks to the men keeping watch. "I doubt the Volsagi are going to wade through that to get to us. They'll be stepping back to watch our tula burn, they might even start coming around the walls to cut off escape. We should keep eyes to the north. Most of our defenses in the field are to ward off attack from Drovos in the opposite direction, but taking up positions at the watchtowers would give us an advantage in visibility and range. Everyone! Pack up, we need to move to a more advantageous position and get ready to leave." Calling to the gathered men he leads Yarl and Huma out through the gate and into the open plains.

"There's another thing we need to worry about," coming up next to Yarl and Alec is the weaponthane from before, now dismounted and leading his horse out. "Where are we going to go after this? We'll need to find food and shelter for the survivors."

Prehysterical
2015-02-26, 04:00 PM
Perhaps this is finally the moment where Yarl can force Fate's hand. "We should go head for the Drovos settlement. The Volsagi are besieging them, too. If we try to fight alone, the Volsagi will overwhelm us. We need to surprise them and combine our forces so that we can make a stand. Otherwise, they will nip at our heels like starving wolves."

RandomWombat
2015-02-26, 04:12 PM
"Hm.. I agree. If Drovos is under attack as well, we'll stand a better chance of fighting back together."

"And if their tula is as far gone as ours'?" Alec questions, skeptically. "The more people we try to provide for the harder it'll be, and the easier Volsagi can track us. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just playing Eurmal's advocate."

Prehysterical
2015-02-26, 04:16 PM
"If their tula is gone, too, then they will want to cooperate with us. Let's not scatter like caribou; let's form up like bison and present our enemy with a wall of horns. What good is it to worry about tomorrow if the Volsagi mean to slit our throats by the sun's setting?

With all these women and children, they will track us anyway. Let's make sure that we have enough spears to repel them." Yarl pats the nose of Huma affectionately, casting a side eye over the horrible burns the beast had sustained.

RandomWombat
2015-02-26, 05:03 PM
"I see no reason to wait, then. We can swing around the southern corner of the wall and cross the no-man's land to Drovos tula," turning to face the gates, Alec watches the hunters, riders, and weaponthanes file through. "Change of plans. We need to move now, or we lose our chance to join forces with the survivors of Clan Drovos. Alone we cannot stand against Volsagi and their crimes will go unanswered. Prepare to march. Place the children and noncombatants on the horses and bison, that they may escape if we are overwhelmed."

What few supplies the survivors could gather before fleeing are checked, and spare mounts not used by the noncombatants are distributed among the clan's warriors. Huma is in no shape for combat, and the role he serves is up to Yarl. Everyone begins to make their way south along the wall. The sounds of combat from inside the walls have been replaced with the sounds of buildings collapsing, and no screams escape the choking smoke to suggest anyone is alive within... or ceasing to be. A pillar of black smog billows into the morning sky. Yarl and Alec march at the head of the group, clearly in charge. During the march Marcivelle moves up from the rest of the group to walk beside them, having taken up a crossbow one of the fyrd had brought with them from the armory. The nervousness on her face earlier has been replaced with a grimace. Thea remains with the noncombatants to keep them in order.

"My husband taught me the basics. I'll help as much as I can," the trader assures them.

Arriving at the corner of the wall, the group enters into the no-man's land. Along the wall towards the southwest gate they see a tall figure approaching some distance away. It is a grey-haired yeti carrying someone under one arm, the other hand holding a wooden greatclub. It's too far yet to tell who the yeti is carrying.

Prehysterical
2015-02-26, 05:08 PM
Yarl acknowledges that Huma is in no shape to fight. He hands the reins off to one of the thanes, telling the man to place any children or wounded on the bison's back. Huma won't spook so easily if arrows start flying.

Upon seeing the yeti, Yarl turns to Alec and says, "I will go see. Be careful; it might be a trap." Yarl hustles off, hammer slung on his belt and sword firmly in its scabbard.

RandomWombat
2015-02-26, 07:31 PM
The others prepare themselves for a possible trap while they wait for Yarl to return.

Approaching the yeti does not slow its lumbering advance. It seems to be in a hurry. Getting closer also reveals the man under its arm to be Talin, unconscious and without his walking stick. Judging by the burns and troubled breathing, the old healer had a run in with too much smoke and fire for his health. The yeti also bears some burnt patches on its hide. It isn't long before Yarl and the yeti come to a stop in front of each other. In a distinctly male voice the yeti rumbles something Yarl doesn't understand - it is in the language of the yeti.

Prehysterical
2015-02-26, 07:37 PM
If only Mirka was here... Rather than wasting time pantomiming, Yarl beckons the yeti to follow him back to the others. Turning and running, he shouts, "Does anyone know the Yeti tongue?"

RandomWombat
2015-02-27, 02:41 PM
"I do, yes," Marcivelle runs up to meet them. "Oh. This is Iaar, the elder of the yetis living with our clan." She walks up to Iaar and speaks with him, then relays to Yarl, "The chief met up with Aldric, but their group ended up trapped by a fire in the farm fields and some of them got separated in the panic. Iaar and Talin tried to make it through the city, but Talin passed out partway through and Iaar had to carry him the rest of the way. Some of the others went up one of the watchtowers and tried jumping the wall to the north."

Prehysterical
2015-02-27, 02:46 PM
"Damn...," Yarl softly curses. He turns to Alec and says, "Slight change in plans. I'll head around the wall and help anyone that needs it. You keep leading the rest to the Drovos camp. I hope to be back soon."

RandomWombat
2015-02-27, 03:56 PM
"If it gets the chief back safely I won't argue," Alec nods and gestures for Iaar to seat Talin on one of the horses, where its current rider can keep him steady. The thin old man is slumped into position and Iaar takes up position with the others to march, greatclub in hand, though he looks far from combat-ready after his trek through the fire.

"Are you sure about going alone?" Marcivelle's voice carries uncertainty in its tone.

Prehysterical
2015-02-27, 04:01 PM
"No, but I didn't get to choose a single damned thing that happened today. We have to trust in Orlanth and Hemakt for this. Go with the others. If I am not back in a hour, leave without me and take care of Huma. The poor bull has had a bad day." Yarl takes off, armor clinking as he runs.

RandomWombat
2015-02-27, 06:18 PM
"Alright. Stay safe," Marcivelle jogs back in the opposite direction to rejoin the marching order.

Yarl's path takes him along the southwest wall, heading northwest. The gate is open as the group left it, with the burning town visible beyond. The houses near where they'd fought the Volsagi earlier are little more than rubble now. Surrounded on all sides by its walls, the tula has been reduced to a giant mockery of a bonfire. Further along the wall he goes until he comes to the western corner, spinning to continue his dash. This side of the tula has few defenses outside the walls - there is no gate to the northwest. Any defenses are further northeast from his position throughout the outer farmlands. From here he can see a few of the watchtowers in the distance. At the very least, the Volsagi have not set the outer fields alight. They must still intend to use them. The possibility they have men in those watchtowers also looms.

There are shapes on the ground far ahead of him, near the northern corner. If there are Volsagi in the watchtowers they will certainly spot him investigating whatever it is.

Prehysterical
2015-02-27, 06:55 PM
Yarl knows that he cannot realistically hope to sneak up unnoticed in his armor. Instead, he runs toward the shapes, shield raised above his head to protect him from possible arrows. As he runs, he strains his eyes to make out anything about the shapes or the possible occupants of the towers.
[roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-03-01, 11:02 PM
Yarl's careful gaze is sharp enough to assess the situation from a bit further than he expected. The shapes on the ground are bodies, though he cannot make out their allegiance from here. There was most certainly a fight here.

Far off in the two nearest watchtowers he sees minute movement. No signal horns are blown, he must not be spotted yet. There is still the possibility of getting closer for a better look at the aftermath of the fight, but it would get riskier the closer he went.

To avoid double posting in the OOC, saying here: had some computer trouble, and between that and work haven't been able to post as soon as I'd have liked. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Prehysterical
2015-03-02, 02:05 PM
There's no real choice in this, is there? Shield me from disgraceful death, Orlanth. Holding up his shield, Yarl makes his inspection of the bodies.

RandomWombat
2015-03-02, 10:02 PM
Getting closer yields disappointing results. The bodies belong to Himmiskan fyrd, and not just fyrd, but civilians and children among them. Many have burn marks and body parts blasted apart as though by an explosion. Among them lay Aldric and Hugo, both dead. Aldric is covered in wounds from swords and spears, and arrows stick out of his shield arm. If any Volsagi died in the fight, their bodies have been removed before Yarl's arrival.

It isn't long before he is spotted, now that he's near to the corner of the wall. A call rings out on a signal horn, alerting the Volsagi to his presence. It won't be long before their warriors arrive. Two arrows land in the dirt nearby, missing by far.

Prehysterical
2015-03-02, 10:24 PM
Yarl's fist clenches in futile rage at the sight of the bodies. Bad enough to see Aldric and Hugo, but these women and children... Yarl takes off as fast as his armor allows, trying to stop the tears from running down his cheeks. He would not let his enemies see him weep.

RandomWombat
2015-03-03, 12:25 AM
Yarl flees, and despite his heavy armor is soon out of range of the arrows. The sound of boots can be heard behind him, some heavier than others.

Yarl aces his passive Perception to listen to the bootfalls behind him. There are five people behind him, three in lighter armor and two in heavy armor. The lighter ones will catch up to him enough to attack in about three rounds if they all keep running in the interim.

Prehysterical
2015-03-03, 02:49 PM
Yarl knows that he can't possibly outrun these men, and it is very likely that he won't be able to fight all of them in his condition.

Moving a little further forward, Yarl turns about and brings his war horn to his lips.
One move action and Perform (wind instruments): [roll0]

RandomWombat
2015-03-03, 08:20 PM
Turning, Yarl now sees his soon-to-be attackers. Three of the spear-wielding militiamen are hot on his trail and behind them are two warriors clad in breastplates and helms. One of the warriors is sheathing his sword and reaching for a crossbow, while the other is carrying a battleaxe and steel shield. The militiamen slow to a stop in front of him, the axe-wielding warrior still charging forward. His crossbow-wielding comrade begins circling around to get a better angle of aim past his allies. Yarl's horn rings out, and he must hope his allies heard it.

Prehysterical
2015-03-03, 08:30 PM
Slinging his horn back on his belt, and retrieving his warhammer, Yarl can only hope for his kinsmen to hear his horn... or for a miracle.

I'm not fyrd, you bastards. I'm a shieldthane, and you won't have me easily.

Banging his hammer against his shield, Yarl calls out to his gods. "Orlanth! Hemakt!"
Taking Total Defense to gain +4 dodge to AC

RandomWombat
2015-03-03, 08:54 PM
Yarl's defense holds fast, and with his hammer and shield he easily deflects their spears, none even making it close enough to scratch his armor. Two of them circle around him to flank him, while the axe warrior runs past to come at him from behind. The soldier with the crossbow takes up position where he can see Yarl between two of the militiamen. Even his crossbow bolt finds no purchase against Yarl's defense, however. What remains to be seen is how long he can hold out before one of them scores a lucky hit.

Prehysterical
2015-03-03, 09:00 PM
Twirling his hammer, Yarl taunts his assailants. His green eyes flash with inner fire. "Five-on-one? You Volsagi really are a bunch of whelps."
Continuing total defense.

RandomWombat
2015-03-03, 11:35 PM
"Why put in the trouble of catching a rat alone?" the thane answers Yarl's taunt confidently. "You Himmiskan are so good at crawling away to hide, we had to set everything on fire to get you all." Yarl spins around rapidly, his twirling hammer deflecting blow after blow, the bolt flying in from the side to clang off of his shield. He feels something strike his side, but the spear slides off of his armor at an angle that leaves him unharmed.

Prehysterical
2015-03-03, 11:44 PM
The hammer once again strikes Yarl's shield. "'Crawling away to hide?' A man asleep in bed with his wife is not hiding."
Continuing total defense.

RandomWombat
2015-03-04, 12:16 PM
The militiamen look like they're hesitating, but the thane retorts, "Don't listen to his ranting, he's an animal desperate to throw off the hunters!"

During his spinning flurry of defense and taunting, Yarl sees a man approaching on horseback along the wall behind the enemy thane. At the same time a dagger strikes the enemy thane in the arm, before spinning away and flying away to land in Filip's hand up on the wall. Apparently the trickster had been hiding up there, and by the look on his face he's not in a mood for jokes.

Filip throws his returning dagger and hits the axe thane for 3 damage. Because the thane did not spot him this also deals 8 sneak attack damage.
One of the Himmiskan thanes is approaching on horseback to help. He will arrive the turn after next.
Nothing has hit Yarl yet. While defending they need to score a crit threat to hit him.

Prehysterical
2015-03-04, 01:07 PM
Yarl continues his weaving pattern of defense, hammer spinning and shield blocking. He mocks the axethane."What have you been doing all this time, Volsagi? I definitely know you weren't training!"