PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Centaur Player Race (PEACH)

Steel Mirror
2014-09-10, 05:49 PM
So this is my attempt at that perennial D&D challenge: making a playable race with a very different shape or size from humans. It's always a balancing act between making them different enough in mechanics to match their flavor without introducing excessive clutter or unbalanced mechanics in the process. Given that 5E is a new system for me, chances are pretty good that I screwed something up.

The fluff is intended for my own personal game in mind, which includes a very cosmopolitan realm where many peoples mix rather freely. If you prefer a race of hidden centaurs that live in the forest and fill interlopers with arrows, or if you are only here to see what I did with game mechanics and don't care about fluff either way, just skip the spoilered sections and proceed to Centaur Traits. If you do read the fluff bits, I don't mind hearing what you think!

Centaur

http://s10.postimg.org/wpk9hraih/centaur_girl_by_owlet_in_chest_d6gtzn0crop600.jpg (http://owlet-in-chest.deviantart.com/art/Centaur-girl-391070124)
Artist Credit: Owlet-in-chest (http://owlet-in-chest.deviantart.com/) on deviantart http://owlet-in-chest.deviantart.com/art/Centaur-girl-391070124

Filika shifted restlessly from hoof to hoof as she waited for her teacher to finish grading her make-up test. Her tail swished wildly as she fretted, making the only sound in the still and otherwise empty classroom. She looked out again through the window, to where the rest of the students were laughing and running in the midday sun. It was so unfair that she was stuck inside with this old gnome!

"I trust that I am not detaining you from some more important engagement, my dear?"

Filika snapped her eyes guiltily back to her teacher, who was looking up at her with an expression of mixed disapproval and amusement. "No, Miss Waywocket," she said, as contritely as she could manage. Darn that old gnome! It was like she could read minds, sometimes. Well, she was a wizard after all-it was possible she really could read minds. Filika's expression froze and her eyes widened, and she tried to think academical thoughts.

"Well, you seem to have mustered a long enough attention span to achieve a passing grade, so you may go. Just remember to do your homework at home, next time, hmmm?"

Filika veritably stampeded towards the classroom door, barely getting out a dutiful "Yes Miss Waywocket, thank you Miss Waywocket!" before she burst outside to meet up with her friends. A sunny spring day was no time to be locked up indoors, after all. Centaurs were born to run!

Centaurs are an industrious people who can be found across the kingdom, sometimes living in traditionally Centaur towns, sometimes as just another race in the cosmopolitan mixing bowls of the kingdom's cities. While they may have come from the forests and plains, they are no more beholden to them these days than are modern humans to their ancestral cave homes or Savannah tribes. They remain well known for their skill at archery and their incredible ability to run, but today a centaur is just as likely to make a living as a baker or musician as an archer or herdsman. Just...don't try to ride one. That seldom works out very well.

Grace and Strength

Despite the typical description of a "half man, half horse", a centaur's proportions mean that their lower half is closer in size to a deer or an antelope than to a full-sized horse. Their humanoid upper bodies are usually slender but strong, and their facial features tend towards large noses, pointed chins, and high cheekbones. Centaur women range from about 5 and a half feet to 6 and a half feet tall. Males grow about a foot taller on average than their female counterparts. While their quadrupedal hindquarters mean that centaurs weigh considerably more than most humans, their slight builds offset that somewhat. The average centaur weighs between 200 and 450 pounds, or a little more than 1.5 times as much as a human of the same height and build.

Centaurs have a great diversity in coloration. Upper body skin colors range from fair to dark, with a unique dusky reddish skin tone comprising about half of the centaur race. Fur colors are incredibly varied. Centaurs from the plains tend to have colors similar to domestic horses, while those from the forest have mottled or spotted white and brown or white and red fur, similar to deer. Even in these generalizations there are exceptions, however, and among centaurs the pattern and color of one's fur is held to be as distinct as one's fingerprints.

The hair on their heads tends to match some element of their fur coloration, and may even be multicolored itself (mottled white and black to match their fur, for instance). A centaur's hair covers the head, as in humans, but also grows along the back of the neck and tapers off along the upper neck, like a mane. Some modern centaurs keep this area shaved or close-cropped, to better match hair and clothing styles worn among the humanoid races, while other centaurs keep luxurious, flowing manes as a matter of pride.

Born to Run

There is as much diversity among centaurs as among any race, but one generalization that can safely be made about the species is that they love to run. Young centaurs physically mature much quicker than humans do, and can walk within a week or so of being born-and are running around about 10 minutes after that. Centaur children run everywhere. Every game they play involves running somehow, and among centaurs running events are held to be the most prestigious of sporting accomplishments. Where a human might take a walk to clear her mind, a centaur will go for a relaxing run.

This is in fact how the centaurs first began integrating into wider humanoid society. Long ago a kingdom employed centaur mercenaries in a string of key battles, where their supreme mobility on the battlefield proved a decisive advantage. It became customary after that time for the kingdom to employ a ceremonial core of centaurs at all times, and by fits and starts the centaur people gradually became an accepted part of everyday life. Even today, where in most places a centaur walking down the street is considered no more out of place than a dwarf in a brewery, having a few centaurs in one's honor guard is considered a mark of great prestige among those wealthy enough to afford such things.

Centaur Culture

Centaurs, unlike horses, are omnivores. They eat meat, though less often than humans do, and particularly enjoy sweets and baked goods. Centaur cuisine has become popular in several parts of the kingdom, as centaurs have a keen sense of taste and a facility for using herbs in pleasing and unexpected combinations. Centaur cuisine is high on herbs, leafy vegetables, and proteins, low on fats and spicy tastes. Centaur bakeries are widely held to be the best in the kingdom, possibly anywhere.

A centaur might choose the adventuring life out of an extension of his basic desire to run free, to see new things and experience new sensations. Others might leave small town life to seek fortune and glory in the big city, or join a mercenary company where their natural gifts are always appreciated. Centaurs choosing to study the magical arts have historically been rather rare (with the exception of druids). Times change, though, and some young centaurs are exploring the new horizons that open up to those who obtain mystic power.

Centaur Names

Male Names: Bucef, Dalan, Edwarn, Jack, Morcred, Pelion, Rae, Toby
Female Names: Chaia, Filika, Harley, Mila, Nephali, Shiron
Family Names: As they have assimilated into a broader society, many centaurs have taken on family names more common to the rest of civilization, or reflecting a trade passed down through their family. Some few have retained family names that hark back to a time when centaurs lived only with other centaurs, e.g. Autia, Cromwen, Killida, Winafras

Centaur Traits

Centaurs are hardy and fast, but their size does make for some occasional awkwardness.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Age. Centaurs mature very quickly when compared to human infants, and are able to walk within two weeks of being born. They reach physical adulthood around the age of 15, but in terms of mental maturity are more or less on par with humans at most stages of adolescence. Centaurs rarely live for more than 60 years, and begin to appear elderly around the age of 45.
Alignment. Centaurs are an industrious people who value both personal freedom and strong community bonds. There's always one bad runner in a herd, though, and some centaurs abandon community spirit in order to pursue solely selfish ends.
Size. Centaurs are larger than humans, though not much taller, averaging from 6 to 7+ feet tall. Your size is Medium, but your DM may rule that you must apply situational modifiers in certain specific circumstances (see Size may Matter, below).
Speed. Your walking speed is 40 feet.
Born to Run. Centaurs love running on a visceral level, and their four legs makes them very good at it. When you take the Dash action, you triple your normal movement instead of doubling it (if your move speed is currently 40 feet, for example, dashing would allow you to gallop 120 feet instead of 80 feet).
Quadrupedal Stability. It's a lot harder to push a centaur over than it is a human or an elf. You have advantage on strength and dexterity saving throws to avoid being knocked prone or forcibly moved.
Quadrupedal Strength. Centaur's are larger than bipeds, and they can carry more stuff as well. Your carrying capacity is doubled.
Superior Impulsion. You gain advantage on strength checks made to jump, so long as you have a running start.
Size can Matter. While in most cases, your larger-than-humanoid size makes very little difference as far as the rules go, there are some times when your DM can rule that your unusual body size and shape gets in the way of certain actions (or, equally rarely, might prove an advantage). For example, when walking down a narrow passage that offers no room to turn around, your DM might declare that you can only move backward at half speed, and cannot take the dash action. When climbing a sheer cliff face, you might have to seek another way past the obstacle. When buying armor, you might have to pay twice the listed price in order to obtain a suit fitted to your specifications. Your DM is, as always, the final arbiter of when and how such circumstances apply.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, and one other language as determined by your subrace.
Subrace. While the distinction matters less these days than it did ancestrally, and indeed examples of both types can be found even within a single family, you choose to one of either the Woodkin or Plainstriders.
Woodkin CentaurYour ancestors lived among the trees of the forest primeval, where nimbleness and a little healthy paranoia is more important than raw speed and strength. The coloration of plainstriders tends towards mottled patterns of browns and lighter colors, similar to deer or elk fur. Eye colors tend towards greens, blues, and browns.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Skittish. You have proficiency with the Perception skill.
The Reflexes of the Hunted. In the forest, you can never be 100% sure that there isn't something toothy and hungry ready to leap out at you from behind the next tree. After you roll a single Dexterity check or save, but before you learn the result, you may replace the number you actually rolled with your Dexterity score, plus your proficiency bonus if it was applicable to the original check. For example, if your dexterity were 15 and you rolled a 3 on initiative at the beginning of combat, you could choose to change your total result from a 5 (3+2 dex mod) to a 15 (your dex score, proficiency bonus does not apply) for the rest of the encounter. Once you use this power, you may not use it again until you complete a long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Elvish. Woodkin have a long history of association with Wood Elves, and have traditionally spoken their tongue as their native language. Even the haughty High Elves admit that some of the greatest ballads in Elvish were composed by centaurs.

Plainstrider CentaurPlainstriders live on the wide-open fields, where hiding is mostly futile and the best defense is a good overland pace. Plainstriders’ fur resembles the coloration on domestic horses, and can be a single color, patchy, dotted, and almost anything else you could imagine. Eyes tend to be gold, black, or gray.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Natural Sprinters. You have proficiency with the Athletics skill.
Centaur Kick. If you make an unarmed attack using your legs, you roll a minimum of 1d4 for the weapon damage and are considered proficient. Additionally, you may make a kick attack as a bonus action on any turn where you take the Dash action, or at any time as a bonus action targeting an adjacent prone enemy.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write one language of your choice. The plains are a crossroads for many races and cultures, and Plainstriders have been exposed to all of them at one time or another.

Given a centaur's speed and resemblance to a certain domesticated beast of burden, it is inevitable that humanoids have often wondered what it would be like to ride one. Centaurs, on the whole, are much less keen on this idea. They consider it just as demeaning as a human might regard being told to give a stranger a piggyback ride through the streets. In battle they are even less likely to consent to such an arrangement, as having a human-sized passenger on their back can make movement and combat very difficult.

That said, there are times when circumstances make such an action unavoidable. Some centaurs might also not mind giving a ride to certain close humanoid friends, assuming that the friend keeps hands from grabbing anything sensitive and doesn't pull on the hair. Still, while their lower bodies look like a horse, they are in fact much smaller, and supporting a full sized rider is much more difficult for a centaur than a horse.

A centaur can't give a ride to anyone whose weight would combine with the centaur's equipment to exceed their carrying capacity (Strength score multiplied by 25). Even then, if the rider herself weighs more than the centaur's Strength score multiplied by 10, the centaur's move speed decreases by 10 feet and he suffers from disadvantage on Strength and Dexterity checks and saves. Riders who weigh less than that do not unduly burden the centaur.

A centaur with the Mounted Combat feat does not get to apply the benefits solely because he is a centaur and has four legs. A centaur must be mounted on another creature (no easy prospect) in order to gain the benefits of the Mounted Combat feat, just like any other character.

From the rider's perspective, riding a centaur is not much different from riding any intelligent mount (see Mounted Combat, PHB 198), except for the probable lack of a saddle. While certain centaurs in certain situations might allow certain people to ride them, it is rare indeed to find a centaur willing to wear a saddle. There have been several unfortunate events in centaur history involving xenophobia, enslavement, and purposeful humiliation of centaurs by other races, and most centaurs bristle at the merest suggestion that they might wear a saddle and be put at the service of two-legged riders.

My worries are primarily whether I made them too powerful, whether I pigeonholed them into being only playable in certain classes, and whether people think that I handled the "larger than medium, smaller than large" mechanics in a playable and believable way. Mostly my strategy was to give the DM a few examples of how to deal with such issues, and then leave the final determinations in their hands, which I think fits the design philosophy of 5E well, but I appreciate your feedback! Whether you like what I did, hate it, or have some ideas that you think are better, please let me know.

Starcofski
2014-09-10, 07:26 PM
I don't think it looks too powerful. I do reccomend you think about how the mechanics of one PC riding this centaur would work, especially in regards to combat. If the centaur makes a charge attack, does the riding PC get an Attack of Opportunity? Do they get any (dis)advantage to the attack?

Overall, very well done.

ocel
2014-09-11, 01:56 AM
I do recommend you think about how the mechanics of one PC riding this centaur would work, especially in regards to combat.
I too would like to see rules for that as well. I'm also curious what languages they learn.

Overall, very well done.
Same, here!

Steel Mirror
2014-09-11, 11:08 AM
Thank you both for reading! It really should have occurred to me to specify what happens when riding a centaur. Now that you guys mention it, of course that would be the first thing that would occur to any group of players. In the course of considering what riding rules might make sense, I also realized that I should probably adjust centaurs' carrying capacity compared to a normal race, as well. So thanks for that, too!

Here's my first attempt at riding rules:

Riding a Centaur

Given a centaur's speed and resemblance to a certain domesticated beast of burden, it is inevitable that humanoids have often wondered what it would be like to ride one. Centaurs, on the whole, are much less keen on this idea. They consider it just as demeaning as a human might regard being told to give a stranger a piggyback ride through the streets. In battle they are even less likely to consent to such an arrangement, as having a human-sized passenger on their back can make movement and combat very difficult.

That said, there are times when circumstances make such an action unavoidable. Some centaurs might also not mind giving a ride to certain close humanoid friends, assuming that the friend keeps hands from grabbing anything sensitive and doesn't pull on the hair. Still, while their lower bodies look like a horse, they are in fact much smaller, and supporting a full sized rider is much more difficult for a centaur than a horse.

A centaur can't give a ride to anyone whose weight would combine with the centaur's equipment to exceed their carrying capacity (Strength score multiplied by 25). Even then, if the rider herself weighs more than the centaur's Strength score multiplied by 10, the centaur's move speed decreases by 10 feet and he suffers from disadvantage on Strength and Dexterity checks and saves. Riders who weigh less than that do not unduly burden the centaur.

From the rider's perspective, riding a centaur is not much different from riding any intelligent mount (see Mounted Combat, PHB 198), except for the probable lack of a saddle. While certain centaurs in certain situations might allow certain people to ride them, it is rare indeed to find a centaur willing to wear a saddle. There have been several unfortunate events in centaur history involving xenophobia, enslavement, and purposeful humiliation of centaurs by other races, and most centaurs bristle at the merest suggestion that they might wear a saddle and be put at the service of two-legged riders.

As for languages, thanks for the catch. I'll add those in presently.

FyreHeart
2014-09-11, 12:48 PM
Centaurs should have their own language, like elves, tieflings, etc but there could be regional dialects depending on the background of the character.
Personally I'd love it if Wizards but in some other really odd races like centaurs, fauns, nagas and all that stuff. It would add some interest.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-11, 03:05 PM
Centaurs should have their own language, like elves, tieflings, etc but there could be regional dialects depending on the background of the character.
I'm always careful not to add too many languages on top of the many languages already in the core rules. Especially when there already is a language that fits thematically. In my experience, adding a new language just for centaurs will just lead to one more line on the sheet that almost never gets used, unfortunately. Giving them elvish or another language not only makes the centaur player more likely to use their extra language in-game, it also lets anyone else who can speak elvish use it in more situations. A win/win.

Just IMO of course, it's quite easy for you to add one in your own game!

Personally I'd love it if Wizards but in some other really odd races like centaurs, fauns, nagas and all that stuff.
Me too. :smallbiggrin: I really dig the idea of a fantasy realm where centaurs and other weirder races are as common as dwarves and humans and stuff. On the other hand, as long as they don't have it, homebrewing one is quite fun! I'll probably try my hand at a few more bizarre races, if I can think of any that sound fun (and that I have any usable ideas for).

EDIT: Does anyone have any ideas for a weird race that they would like to see done up for 5E?

ocel
2014-09-11, 08:09 PM
EDIT: Does anyone have any ideas for a weird race that they would like to see done up for 5E?
Hmm... How about something to do with plants, like treants or dryads?

dragoonsgone
2014-09-12, 02:09 AM
It seems very well thought out and pretty balanced for the most part. I would like something to differentiate the sub races a bit more. I kinda get the feeling that you would just pick which you want to be based on which stat you want(more so than normal). Maybe a bit more bonuses to each subrace. A third subrace for casters would be cool but I don't have any ideas beyond that.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-09-12, 07:19 AM
Seems pretty good to me. Although I still think there should be some sort of bonus on unarmed strikes when using their feet. I know, every DND/PF version of the centaur has that and it's lead to some awful people abusing it for powergaming purposes, but it just makes sense. Horses kick hard. That's not a mechanic, that's just fact.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-12, 01:24 PM
I would like something to differentiate the sub races a bit more. I kinda get the feeling that you would just pick which you want to be based on which stat you want(more so than normal). Maybe a bit more bonuses to each subrace.I had been thinking the same thing, but I wanted to see what people thought of this version first. I'm worried that adding even more racial boosts might make them overpowered.

Horses kick hard. That's not a mechanic, that's just fact. I had been thinking of giving them a kick attack of some kind, but I was worried that A)it might pigeonhole them even more into being fighter types, B) these centaurs are much smaller and less powerfully built than an actual horse (though even a goat can kick quite hard), and C)see above about adding too much power to the race. That said, I'll combine your and dragoonsgone's comments into the following idea to expand the subraces. I highlighted the additions in blue so that they are obvious. Tell me if they make the subraces too powerful, as they might represent a significant gain in overall capability for the race. Or just tell me if you don't like them, or have a better idea for how to put one of them into effect.

Woodkin
Your ancestors lived among the trees of the forest primeval, where nimbleness and a little healthy paranoia is more important than raw speed and strength. Woodkin are smaller, more slightly built, and more agile on average than their plain dwelling relatives. The coloration of woodkin tends towards mottled patterns of browns and lighter colors, similar to deer or elk fur. Eye colors tend towards greens, blues, and browns.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Skittish. You have proficiency with the Perception skill.
The Reflexes of the Hunted. In the forest, you can never be 100% sure that there isn't something toothy and hungry ready to leap out at you behind the next tree. After you roll a single Dexterity check or save, but before you learn the result, you may replace the number you actually rolled with your Dexterity score, plus your proficiency bonus if it was applicable to the original check. For example, if your dexterity were 15 and you rolled a 3 on initiative at the beginning of combat, you could choose to change your total result from a 5 (3+2 dex mod) to a 15 (your dex score, proficiency bonus does not apply) for the rest of the encounter. Once you use this power, you may not use it again until you complete a long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Elvish. Woodkin have a long history of association with Wood Elves, and have traditionally spoken their tongue as their native language. Even the haughty High Elves admit that some of the greatest ballads in Elvish were composed by centaurs.

Plainstriders
Plainstriders live on the wide-open fields, where hiding is mostly futile and the best defense is a good overland pace. Plainstriders tend towards stockier builds, especially in the legs, and large hooves. Their fur resembles the coloration on domestic horses, and can be a single color, patchy, dotted, and almost anything else you could imagine. Eyes tend to be gold, black, or gray.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Natural Sprinters. You have proficiency with the Athletics skill.
Kick like a Centaur. If you make an unarmed attack using your legs, you roll a minimum of 1d4 for the weapon damage and are considered proficient. Additionally, you may make a kick attack as a bonus action on any turn where you take the Dash action. This attack uses your Strength or Dexterity modifier to determine attack and damage, and rolls 1d4 for damage.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write one language of your choice. The plains are a crossroads for many races and cultures, and Plainstriders have been exposed to all of them at one time or another.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

dragoonsgone
2014-09-13, 02:18 AM
I like the concept of reflexes of the hunted, seems pretty powerful but I am not sure. I mean if you have 20 dex then you are gonna be one of the best initiatives for 1 encounter of your choice for the day.

What exactly do you mean by before you learn the result? Sorry if it is standard language but does it mean before you see the dice IE you should be having someone roll for you or before you learn if you pass or fail a save?

The kick like a centaur ability seems really fun and like it would be great to have horse shoes to increase damage later on.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-09-13, 05:43 AM
That bit about the languages is a nice touch.
I imagine centaurs would get used as couriers and messengers a lot, makes sense that they would have to pick up a lot of languages in their lives.

Ralcos
2014-09-13, 10:31 AM
I actually like how this race functions!
Pretty awesome and flavorful to the race itself.
I'm going to bookmark it for when I'm running my first 5e game.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Instead of the Quadreped's bonus to checks, it should instead be a bonus to saving throws. Yes, it ends up being the same thing, but it's good to specify which type of checks.

Quadrupedal Stability. It's a lot harder to push a centaur over than it is a human or an elf. You have advantage on saving throws to avoid being knocked prone or forcibly moved.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-14, 07:13 PM
Instead of the Quadreped's bonus to checks, it should instead be a bonus to saving throws. Yes, it ends up being the same thing, but it's good to specify which type of checks.

Quadrupedal Stability. It's a lot harder to push a centaur over than it is a human or an elf. You have advantage on saving throws to avoid being knocked prone or forcibly moved.
Thanks for the catch! I had completely forgotten that it was a save and not a check. I fixed it, and also added in a bit in the "Riding" section to specify that centaurs do not get to benefit by taking the mounted combat feat unless they are mounted on some other creature (which seems an awkward state of affairs). Just having four legs does not mean you get the mounted benefits.

I also threw up another 5E race that I brewed up, thank you ocel for the idea! Meet the Floran (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371984-Playable-Treefolk-Race-Floran-(PEACH)), a race similar to dryads or treefolk, who just want to live among humanoid society and experience the wider world for the few decades before they take root and become responsible members of the forest. Please, take a look and tell me what you think!

Steel Mirror
2014-09-20, 05:17 PM
Just a quick update to say that I got the chance to playtest a bit with a centaur character, it worked pretty well! I did decide to make a small change to the Centaur Kick trait that the Plainstriders have. The Centaur (barbarian) was thundering along past a foe that had been knocked down by the monk, and wanted to know if there are rules for trampling the fallen under the centaur's iron-shod hooves. Well now there are! I expanded the kick to be usable not only as a bonus action on a turn where the centaur dashes, but as a bonus action at any time if there is an adjacent prone target. It now reads:

Centaur Kick. If you make an unarmed attack using your legs, you roll a minimum of 1d4 for the weapon damage and are considered proficient. Additionally, you may make a kick attack as a bonus action on any turn where you take the Dash action, or at any time as a bonus action targeting an adjacent prone enemy. If you hit, you may choose either to deal unarmed damage or to Shove the opponent (as PHB 195).

I don't think it's overpowered, since it still uses a bonus action and most builds have plenty of ways that they want to use a bonus action, but does anyone see any problems with this change?

ocel
2014-09-24, 09:04 AM
I don't believe any race in Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition should have more than three subracial features per subrace (at least, not without justification). (Namely, Ability Score Improvement, and two others unique to that subrace.) Why not take Woodkin and Plainstriders ability to learn languages away and give it to all Centaurs in general? It would work like their human counterparts, a character of that race knows how to speak, read, and write common and another language of its player's choosing. I'm not sure how balanced The Reflexes of the Hunted is either.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-09-25, 02:04 PM
Surprisingly balanced. I like how you allow them to trample as a bonus action, I might have to steal that one.

My only balance concern is the 40-foot move speed, since core races only go up to 35. You could drop the speed to 35 and keep the Dash speed bonus and they'd still be plenty fast.

I think a lot of it could be streamlined. Quadrupedal Strength could be a simple "your carrying capacity is doubled." Reflexes Of The Hunted would be better as an automatic success, since bounded accuracy makes it an automatic success 80% of the time, and that's no overpowered for a 1/day ability. Centaur Kick's shove option is unclear about whether it applies to standard unarmed attacks rolls and could be better worded as "When you make an unarmed attack with your legs and hit, you may choose to either increase the base damage to 1d4 damage or deal no damage and automatically shove the opponent," but this might be a bit overpowered for a centaur monk so I would drop the shove entirely.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-25, 07:25 PM
I don't believe any race in Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition should have more than three subracial features per subrace (at least, not without justification). (Namely, Ability Score Improvement, and two others unique to that subrace.) Why not take Woodkin and Plainstriders ability to learn languages away and give it to all Centaurs in general? It would work like their human counterparts, a character of that race knows how to speak, read, and write common and another language of its player's choosing.Since that is a formatting thing rather than a power balance thing, I think I'll leave it the way it is. Languages just isn't a huge part of a character, and I like the way that, flavor-wise, it puts the woodkin in the forest and makes the plainstriders feel much more open and worldly, as befits a people who live in the crossroads of the world.

I'm not sure how balanced The Reflexes of the Hunted is either.
Reflexes Of The Hunted would be better as an automatic success, since bounded accuracy makes it an automatic success 80% of the time, and that's no overpowered for a 1/day ability.I think that Reflexes of the Hunted has worked out just fine, and not seemed overpowered. I agree about the bounded accuracy thing making it an auto-success in all but name for most things, but I think I will still keep it as-is both for flavor and because this way you could use it for initiative. I suppose you could just make it a natural 20, but for now I'll leave it as-is!

Surprisingly balanced. I like how you allow them to trample as a bonus action, I might have to steal that one.Thank you much, hopefully you find it useful.

My only balance concern is the 40-foot move speed, since core races only go up to 35. You could drop the speed to 35 and keep the Dash speed bonus and they'd still be plenty fast.I don't think that the extra 5 feet is unbalancing, but I would be open to scaling it back if I noticed it. There are plenty of ways to get extra speed even at first level, so overall I think this small move speed inflation is something the system doesn't even bat an eye at.

I think a lot of it could be streamlined. Quadrupedal Strength could be a simple "your carrying capacity is doubled." Reflexes Of The Hunted would be better as an automatic success, since bounded accuracy makes it an automatic success 80% of the time, and that's no overpowered for a 1/day ability. Centaur Kick's shove option is unclear about whether it applies to standard unarmed attacks rolls and could be better worded as "When you make an unarmed attack with your legs and hit, you may choose to either increase the base damage to 1d4 damage or deal no damage and automatically shove the opponent," but this might be a bit overpowered for a centaur monk so I would drop the shove entirely.Good points, and other than the bit about Reflexes that I already mentioned I shall make those modifications. Thanks! Originally the shove option was in there to make it a bit more attractive since you could only use it in the same round that you dashed, but since I have expanded it to be usable against a prone opponent as well I don't think it is needed any longer.

Totema
2014-09-25, 07:45 PM
I don't believe any race in Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition should have more than three subracial features per subrace (at least, not without justification). (Namely, Ability Score Improvement, and two others unique to that subrace.)
Well, seeing as high and wood elves both get four, and drow get five (though one is a drawback rather than a feature), that's not even something WotC uses consistently.

Back to the subject of languages: I think sylvan might be a flavorful official language for centaurs to use. Maybe even druidic? That might be a bit of a stretch, though.

ocel
2014-09-25, 07:56 PM
Well, seeing as high and wood elves both get four, and drow get five (though one is a drawback rather than a feature), that's not even something WotC uses consistently.
Hmm... Yes, you are correct Totema, they do have that many features. But for some reason, one I can't explain, I believe three to be a good number, at least as far as homebrew subraces are concerned.

While I understand and respect your decision, Steel Mirror, I still think those languages should be changed, along with Reflexes of the Hunted (maybe into something akin to the Halfling's Luck racial feature). Speaking of formatting, do you plan to put those subraces into their own separate spoiler/folder?

Steel Mirror
2014-09-25, 08:20 PM
Speaking of formatting, do you plan to put those subraces into their own separate spoiler/folder, Steel Mirror?Sure!:smallbiggrin:

Back to the subject of languages: I think sylvan might be a flavorful official language for centaurs to use. Maybe even druidic? That might be a bit of a stretch, though.I considered Sylvan too, I'm pretty much fine with either that or Elvish. Sylvan makes them a bit more wild and exotic, Elvish works to establish a sort of forest society. Druidic is probably out, yeah, the druids would get all uppity that someone was learning their secret club's decoder ring. :smallbiggrin:

ocel
2014-09-25, 08:52 PM
Sure!:smallbiggrin:
Thank you, Steel Mirror!

Druidic is probably out, yeah, the druids would get all uppity that someone was learning their secret club's decoder ring. :smallbiggrin:
I agree: The Druidic language should only be known to Druids, no one else. (Same with how Thieves Cant is to Rogues and so on.)