PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can you look at my Brawler/Magus?

Roxxy
2014-09-10, 06:02 PM
My basic class concept is of a brawler who knows some fire magic, and can do stuff like light her fists on fire or throw flames (Yes, I have been watching anime recently. Why do you ask?). Let's start out with character backstory, since I tend to build characters with who they are in mind:

Meliora is a light skinned and dark haired woman of slightly below average height in her early twenties, with mostly human features, except for the ears that mark her as having Elven blood and the orange eyes that don't seem natural. She has a very open, warm, and friendly disposition, but can be a bit of a bumbler and a little airheaded and doesn't come across as very educated. Despite having Elven blood, she cannot speak the language and knows little about Elves. Her mother is a human barmaid and her father was an elven customer she had a one night stand with, so she's never seen the man. Her mother has always done the best to provide for her, and the innkeeper and other barmaids helped out when they could, so her childhood, while lacking in money and education, was happy enough, except for when those with grudges against elves would make remarks about her obvious Elven heritage, or those with grudges against sorcery somehow found out about her powers. She was a friendly, energetic, well meaning, and hyperactive child who always enjoyed sports, and as she grew larger she developed a love of prizefighting in particular. Trouble came when she began to develop sorcerous power, as her mother didn't quite know how to handle her and didn't have the resources to send her away, but they made it through those years in one piece, even though it wasn't easy. She always had some trouble figuring out spells, so she favored using her abilities to enhance her fighting abilities, so she is much better with her fists than her magic. With her power and skill, she began to feel like home just didn't offer much for her, and wanderlust and ambition took root pretty hard, prompting her to strike out on her own once she became an adult. Adventuring works for her like nothing else would, but she still visits home when she can, and sends a lot of letters. Family is still important, even when you need to be out doing your own thing.

Now, a statblock and supplemental notes: http://charactersheet.co.uk/pathfinder/#/statblock/5410979f48b66502003e5228

Abilities:
Meliora cannot speak Elven, despite Half-Elves normally being able to. In fact, if it isn't being mentioned to her by someone else, she often forgets about her Elven blood.
Half-Elf ability score bonus - Charisma
Eldritch Scion archetype - Casts spells with Charisma, not Intelligence
Bloodline - Elemental (Fire)
-Elemental strikes 3/day 1d6
Eldritch & Arcane Pool 5 (1 eldritch point allows 2 rounds mystic focus, need mystic focus to use bloodline abilities)
Can only use spell combat during mystic focus
Flamboyant Arcana
Spellstrike
Brawler's Cunning
Martial Flexibility 5/day
Martial Training
Unarmed Strike
Brawler's Flurry
Maneuver Training Trip (+1 to attempts, +1 CMD versus attempts)
+1 to AC and CMD
Knockout 1/day, 16 save DC
+2 grapple
Fists count as magic weapons for bypassing DR

Her stats are 25 PB. I'd greatly appreciate a look at my feats and perhaps spells. I also have either a Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes +2 or +1 Flaming (either adds these qualities to my unarmed strikes). I need to know which is most useful to me.

GreyBlack
2014-09-10, 06:23 PM
Okay, I'll start it up.

To begin with, I'm really not a big fan of the brawler. Great for combat maneuvers and all, but one could easily make a maneuver Magus that does the same (if not better) job. Being able to switch feats on the fly is great, but not amazing.

Secondly, you're really missing out on your Magus side of things by multiclassing with Brawler. While you're casting 2nd level Magus spells right now, you could be casting 3rd right now and still performing amazing maneuvers using the Maneuver Mastery arcana. As such, if I were you, I would do something more along these lines:
Don't touch your stats

Magus (Eldritch Scion) 8
Feats:
1) Improved Unarmed Strike
HE: Skill Focus (Whatever)
3) Power Attack
5) Improved Grapple
5(b)) Improved Bull Rush
7) Arcane Strike

Magus Arcana:
3) Maneuver Mastery (Grapple)
6) Maneuver Mastery (Bull Rush)

YMMV, but it does look like a fun idea! That's just an idea of how I would do it. It sounds like your character's natural magical abilities don't get a chance to shine as much with the build you're using right now, whereas here you'd get more of a chance to let out your inner fire. (Pun intended)

Roxxy
2014-09-10, 06:33 PM
Hmm. How would I get my unarmed strike damage to a reasonable level?

GreyBlack
2014-09-10, 06:42 PM
Hmm. How would I get my unarmed strike damage to a reasonable level?

Just buff strength to an immense level and stack things like the Body Wraps. The die you roll isn't nearly as important as your strength, I've found, and Power Attack helps as well. Also, being able to Spellstrike with your unarmed strike helps. Spell Combat for something like a fiery Shocking Grasp (if your DM allows it) with a 22 strength (18+4 from the Giant Belt) lets you deal 1d3+5d6+6 damage pre-Power Attack, not including other buffs to strength you might get. To me, my general combat strategy might be something of:

Step 1: Give your enemy a big hug (i.e. initiate a grapple).
Step 2: Pin said enemy.
Step 3: FIRETOTHEFACE!

Another arcana you might be interested in is Close Range, which will let you channel things like Scorching Ray through your fists.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-10, 07:20 PM
If you can use 3rd party content Greater Unarmed Strike from Path of War increases you US damage die to 1d6 at level 8, 1d8 at 12 and finally to 1d10 at 16th.

Roxxy
2014-09-11, 01:49 PM
I did some tinkering. Went for Magus 6/Brawler 2 to play up the fire magic more, and edited feats to take more advantage of martial versatility. Also switched my character sheet over to Myth-Weavers. Here:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=29670

How does that look?

If you can use 3rd party content Greater Unarmed Strike from Path of War increases you US damage die to 1d6 at level 8, 1d8 at 12 and finally to 1d10 at 16th.Not yet. I might buy that book eventually, though.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-11, 02:05 PM
Well you don't really need the book though, it is already up on the d20PFSRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war) (note that it is probably incomplete, I can't check cause I haven't got the PDF either)

Greater Unarmed Strike itself is here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Greater-Unarmed-Strike-Combat-)