PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] I am lightning, the rain transformed. (AKA, cyborg ninja)

Naoki00_
2014-09-10, 06:44 PM
While looking through the Pathfinder SRD I came across a bunch of stuff about future technology, and it got me and a friend pretty interested since we've always wanted to do a more sci-fi style game. Then the crazy guy said he would DM one, and said that I should try and make a class based on like a cyborg super soldier, and seeing as I've been playing way to much Revengeance this idea just kinda spat out from my brain lol.

This is the first real draft and I'm preeeetty sure it's got some issues, and while I'm pretty happy with it I know it could be better, hence why I'm putting it here! so if anyones ever wanted to be a cyborg ninja give me a hand :D

Cut what you will (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bRrHjld9XQRSkCmiXzTzF7Gb5svYIB7hcCTsGdnT4dY/pub)

Naoki00_
2014-09-10, 10:59 PM
BUmp for hopeful impatience lol

TandemChelipeds
2014-09-11, 03:28 PM
RULES OF NATURE

Raiden needs a ninja run, though. The +10 speed is nice, and so is the ability to choose to jump as if you have a running start, but there should be something that lets you ignore difficult terrain, possibly scaling to include magical terrain and eventually functioning as freedom of movement. For maximum faithfulness to the source material(and no regard for balance), it should grant an AC bonus or miss chance against ranged missile weapons while in use, to simulate blocking bullets with your sword.

I don't think all the boss weapons should be class features. They were equipment he looted off their bodies, so it makes more sense to treat them as such. Maybe they're just different types of HF blades, and one Cybernetic Slayer can use another's HF weapons. If this is the case, maybe the class should include more options, to account for the different kinds of Slayers. Not all of them are built with speed and agility in mind like Raiden, after all. The class doesn't look balanced at all, but honestly, if it were, it wouldn't feel like something out of Revengeance.
One thing I should say is that realistically, Raiden wouldn't be resistant to poisons at all. In fact, he'd be far more susceptible to them than an ordinary person, due to the tiny amount of actual biomass that he has. However, you can probably handwave that with NANOMACHINES, SON.

EDIT: Wait, why's Reflex one of his weak saves? Personally, I'd switch Reflex and Will, since he's a CYBORG NINJA who can BLOCK BULLETS, and Raiden kinda has a history of being manipulated and brainwashed by villains. Hell, even Ripper Mode could be viewed as failing a Will save against the repressed part of his personality.

Naoki00_
2014-09-11, 03:56 PM
RULES OF NATURE

Raiden needs a ninja run, though. The +10 speed is nice, and so is the ability to choose to jump as if you have a running start, but there should be something that lets you ignore difficult terrain, possibly scaling to include magical terrain and eventually functioning as freedom of movement. For maximum faithfulness to the source material(and no regard for balance), it should grant an AC bonus or miss chance against ranged missile weapons while in use, to simulate blocking bullets with your sword.

I don't think all the boss weapons should be class features. They were equipment he looted off their bodies, so it makes more sense to treat them as such. Maybe they're just different types of HF blades, and one Cybernetic Slayer can use another's HF weapons. If this is the case, maybe the class should include more options, to account for the different kinds of Slayers. Not all of them are built with speed and agility in mind like Raiden, after all. The class doesn't look balanced at all, but honestly, if it were, it wouldn't feel like something out of Revengeance.
One thing I should say is that realistically, Raiden wouldn't be resistant to poisons at all. In fact, he'd be far more susceptible to them than an ordinary person, due to the tiny amount of actual biomass that he has. However, you can probably handwave that with NANOMACHINES, SON.

EDIT: Wait, why's Reflex one of his weak saves? Personally, I'd switch Reflex and Will, since he's a CYBORG NINJA who can BLOCK BULLETS, and Raiden kinda has a history of being manipulated and brainwashed by villains. Hell, even Ripper Mode could be viewed as failing a Will save against the repressed part of his personality.

Thanks for taking a look :D, and I did actually try to include those in these abilities you can choose-

"Kojitech Joint boosters: These coiled micro-springs are implanted into the knees, hips, and ankles to greatly increase the speed of the legs. You can expend charges of energy as a free action to gain a bonus to your land speed equal to the 10 times the number of spent charges. Additionally you’re always treated as having a running start for a jump."

Note that you can spend more than one charge, I didn't want to just usurp the point of monk speed and other such things, but you can pump it up as much as you have points to spend.

"Molecular Polarity Adhesion drive(requires Kojitech Joint boosters): This special form of electromagnetic drive is located in the feet, and when in motion allows them to instantly polarize themselves to the appropriate material. You can take part of your move action to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end your move on a horizontal surface. The height you can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If you do not end your move on a horizontal surface, you fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for your distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as you move up the wall. You can take other move actions in conjunction with moving along a wall. For instance, the Spring Attack feat allows you to make an attack from the wall against a foe standing on the ground who is within the area you threaten; however, if you are somehow prevented from completing your move, they fall. Likewise, you could tumble along the wall to avoid attacks of opportunity."

And theres your ninja run lol., and the poison stuff is primarily just the idea that your becoming more and more robotic and a construct, so your not going to really have anything to poison sindes the brain which is highly highly protected.

As for the weapons I just really wanted to include them somehow and in the game they were described as being made from data collected during the fights, and the class is based on the idea that the program is trying to copy Raiden, who had the data for them, and I plan on making either archetypes or other classes based on whether they want more stealth, tanking, or something like that after I hammer out the stuff for this one for a base. You think it's a little overpowered though? I'm not sure how strong it really needed to be to compete with people carrying lasor rifles and magic in the same setting so I settled on a higher power level to start, but I COULD try scaling it back a little somehow.

And.....how did I not notice I messed those saves up XD, it's supposed to have good relfex not will I'll fix that lol

TandemChelipeds
2014-09-11, 04:30 PM
Thanks for taking a look :D, and I did actually try to include those in these abilities you can choose-

"Kojitech Joint boosters: These coiled micro-springs are implanted into the knees, hips, and ankles to greatly increase the speed of the legs. You can expend charges of energy as a free action to gain a bonus to your land speed equal to the 10 times the number of spent charges. Additionally you’re always treated as having a running start for a jump."

Note that you can spend more than one charge, I didn't want to just usurp the point of monk speed and other such things, but you can pump it up as much as you have points to spend.

"Molecular Polarity Adhesion drive(requires Kojitech Joint boosters): This special form of electromagnetic drive is located in the feet, and when in motion allows them to instantly polarize themselves to the appropriate material. You can take part of your move action to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end your move on a horizontal surface. The height you can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If you do not end your move on a horizontal surface, you fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for your distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as you move up the wall. You can take other move actions in conjunction with moving along a wall. For instance, the Spring Attack feat allows you to make an attack from the wall against a foe standing on the ground who is within the area you threaten; however, if you are somehow prevented from completing your move, they fall. Likewise, you could tumble along the wall to avoid attacks of opportunity."

And theres your ninja run lol., and the poison stuff is primarily just the idea that your becoming more and more robotic and a construct, so your not going to really have anything to poison sindes the brain which is highly highly protected.

As for the weapons I just really wanted to include them somehow and in the game they were described as being made from data collected during the fights, and the class is based on the idea that the program is trying to copy Raiden, who had the data for them, and I plan on making either archetypes or other classes based on whether they want more stealth, tanking, or something like that after I hammer out the stuff for this one for a base. You think it's a little overpowered though? I'm not sure how strong it really needed to be to compete with people carrying lasor rifles and magic in the same setting so I settled on a higher power level to start, but I COULD try scaling it back a little somehow.

And.....how did I not notice I messed those saves up XD, it's supposed to have good relfex not will I'll fix that lol

Eh, I wouldn't take my balance comments to heart. I just skimmed, and I don't have a great idea of how martial classes work. To be honest, this is probably Tier 4. Nigh-unbeatable in straight combat(as Raiden should be), but not really capable of much else. Though I could see ninja run having utility.
The crazy part is that this is measurably less powerful than Raiden actually is, and it still looks OP at first glance.
On a second perusal, though, this is basically just a fighter without the bonus feats and with a few mobility-boosting abilities, plus innate benefits of some equipment and buffs. It isn't as game-shattering as it initially appeared. It's the monk issue: High op floor, but on a second perusal, it turns out the ceiling isn't that high. I'd give it bonus feats and maybe something along the lines of maneuvers(based on the expanded moveset) if you really want to go OP.

Naoki00_
2014-09-11, 04:34 PM
Eh, I wouldn't take my balance comments to heart. I just skimmed, and I don't have a great idea of how martial classes work. To be honest, this is probably Tier 4. Nigh-unbeatable in straight combat(as Raiden should be), but not really capable of much else. Though I could see ninja run having utility.
The crazy part is that this is measurably less powerful than Raiden actually is, and it still looks OP at first glance.
On a second perusal, though, this is basically just a fighter without the bonus feats and with a few mobility-boosting abilities, plus innate benefits of some equipment and buffs. It isn't as game-shattering as it initially appeared. It's the monk issue: High op floor, but on a second perusal, it turns out the ceiling isn't that high. I'd give it bonus feats and maybe something along the lines of maneuvers(based on the expanded moveset) if you really want to go OP.

Well I don't know myself either how strong it is yet XD, it can get pretty silly in straight fights especially at 8th and above, but for starters I just wanted to get the basics down and try to finish those before adding anything. I do think that anything put into a game with much stricker rules will always be less than the video game though XD, though I was wondering if Maneuvers would be fun for it, long as it didn't tip the scales too bad.

Naoki00_
2014-09-12, 04:57 AM
Made a Few changes to try and make things a little less all over the place, now need a 19th level power lol

Naoki00_
2014-09-12, 09:32 PM
Idea of a total redesign using more active abilities and maneuvers to represent abilities

Cut what you will- The Sequel (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zOPIjFQKryVhJMtnwejv8I4gM3R6Fzyi2wVtKu9-UVQ/pub)

Surrealistik
2014-09-12, 09:47 PM
One cannot help but be inspired by Raiden, the ultimate Chaotic Good badass. I don't play Pathfinder but I'm glad to see someone working on this sort of concept.

Naoki00_
2014-09-12, 10:55 PM
One cannot help but be inspired by Raiden, the ultimate Chaotic Good badass. I don't play Pathfinder but I'm glad to see someone working on this sort of concept.

It's nice to know your interested :D

Naoki00_
2014-09-17, 09:38 PM
Bump for tovarish