PDA

View Full Version : Do resistances stack?

Socko525
2014-09-10, 08:41 PM
i.e. A teifling in an Order of the Ancients Paladin's Aura radius. That's technically half damage from fire and half damage from spells...so if it gets hit by a fire spell, does that make it a quarter damage? I don't recall if there's any information on it anywhere in the PHB.

I guess the same could be said for a raging bear totem warrior barbarian. i.e. it takes half damage from everything except psychic damage, and then a Order of Ancients Paladin Aura is half damage from spells specifically.

There's obviously several other ways you could potentially get double resistances but those were the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

holywhippet
2014-09-10, 09:01 PM
Nope. Page 197 of the PHB says you only apply resistance once for any given damage.

FadeAssassin
2014-09-10, 09:03 PM
No they don't. From the PHB:

Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that affect the same damage type count as only one instance.
For example, if a creature has resistance to fire damage as well as resistance to all nonmagical damage, the
damage of a nonmagical fire is reduced by half against the creature, not reduced by three-quarters

But if the damage was from a Save and they'd take half damage by succeeding, I beleive it would.

Ex. If a tiefling gets hit but a Burning Hands Spell but suceeds, so he takes half damage but his Hellish resistance decreases the half damage again.

IIRC Burning hands is a save.

Socko525
2014-09-10, 09:08 PM
No they don't. From the PHB:

But if the damage was from a Save and they'd take half damage by succeeding, I beleive it would.

Ex. If a tiefling gets hit but a Burning Hands Spell but suceeds, so he takes half damage but his Hellish resistance decreases the half damage again.

IIRC Burning hands is a save.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification, and this was basically my next question

holywhippet
2014-09-10, 09:26 PM

Correct. The PHB clearly states you apply resistance then vulnerability (if either exist) after all other modifiers have been applied.