PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Solo/Duo PC quest balanced CR

Jowgen
2014-09-10, 11:07 PM
So, challenge ratings are designed based on a party of 4-6 players (to my knowledge). 4-6 Level 6 characters fighting a CR 6 creature is -by the not always trustworthy books- a balanced encounter.

What I'm looking for are opinions/guidelines as to what a balanced encounter CR for a single PC or a 2 person party is. Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

Daedroth
2014-09-11, 03:50 AM
So, challenge ratings are designed based on a party of 4-6 players (to my knowledge). 4-6 Level 6 characters fighting a CR 6 creature is -by the not always trustworthy books- a balanced encounter.

What I'm looking for are opinions/guidelines as to what a balanced encounter CR for a single PC or a 2 person party is. Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

A CR 6 encounter is not a balanced encounter for a 4 member lvl 6 party, is an apropiate encounter (Consumes 25% of the party resources, almonst no chance of PC death).

A party of two members is a half of a party of four members. The rules of CR says that if you multiplicate the number of creatures by 2 the CR increases (so, reverse is true) by 2 so a Duo PC of party should fight CR 4 (6-2) encounters.
For example a lvl 4 Human fighther (CR 4) make an apropiate encounter (Remember the definition of apropiate encounter).

Curbstomp
2014-09-11, 04:22 AM
Take normal CR appropriate for level and minus two.

Jowgen
2014-09-11, 01:11 PM
Thank you gentlemen :smallsmile: