PDA

View Full Version : Yamabush: Because "Samurai" isn't specif enough for a Prc

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-10, 02:00 PM
Yamabushi (Warrior Hermit)

Yamabushi are a sect of mountain hermits who also train their martial skills.
Hit Dice: d8

Requirements

Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Knowledge (Religion), 4 ranks, Survival 4 ranks
Feats: Endurance, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty
Martial Manoeuvres: Any two Diamond Mind Manoeuvres.
Special: Must have trained on a mountain for a whole year with either Yamabushi or a Tengu.

Class Skills

The Yamabushi’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local/nature/religion), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Yamabushi prestige class.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency:
A Yamabushi is proficient with all martial weapons and as well as any kind of armour they may retain their AC bonus in (see below). Yamabushi are not proficient with shields.

Martial Maneouvre :A Yamabushi gains an extra Maneouvre known every two levels (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th) and an extra Maneouvre readied every three levels (at 3rd, 6th and 9th).

AC bonus:

A Yamabushi may add his Wisdom modifier as a dodge bonus to his armour class as long as he is not wearing any armour heavier than light. At 3rd level he retains this bonus even when in medium armour and at 5th level he can even retain it when wearing heavy armour.

Warrior’s Necessities:A Yamabushi may carry up to three masterwork weapons and a single suit of masterwork armour that he can retain his AC bonus in even. This is in exception to the normal restrictions imposed by Vow of Poverty.

Tengu Lore:
A Yamabushi gains a +2 on all knowledge checks related to Tengu and a +2 bonus on charisma based skills (except intimidate) to influence a Tengu.

Calm Fury:
A Yamabushi of at least second level adds their Wisdom bonus to Concentration and Intimidate checks.

Healer’s Touch:A Yamabushi learns special healing arts. From second level, a Yamabushi can make a DC 20 survival check. If he succeeds he suffers no penalties on the next heal check he makes.
From 5th level, a Yamabushi gains the ability to transfer some of his Ki into another person. As a move action he may touch anyone within reach and heal them for 1d8 hp for every two class levels. Using this ability deals 1 point of Wisdom damage to the Yamabushi. Alternatively the Yamabushi can use an attack action to make a melee touch attack against an undead, dealing 1d8 hp damage per class level and 1 point of Wisdom damage to the Yamabushi.

Mettle: At 4th level, a Yamabushi gains the mettle ability.
Warrior’s Prescience:At 6th level, a Yamabushi gains an insight bonus to initiative and reflex saves equal to his wisdom modifier.
Spiritual Toughness:A Yamabushi of at least 7th level may add his wisdom modifier to his hp at each level instead of his constitution modifier. In addition he gains a bonus on fortitude saves equal to his wisdom modifier. This change is retroactive.

Abundant Step:At 8th level, a Yamabushi gains the ability to use the spell Dimension Door as a spell like ability at a caster level of the Yamabushi’s class level. He may use this ability once per day per point of Wisdom modifier.

Spiritual Presence:A Yamabushi of at least 9th level counts whatever weapon he is wielding and whatever armour he is wearing as having the ghost touch property. Against incorporeal targets he adds his wisdom bonus to damage in place of his strength modifier.

Perfect Self: At 10th level, a Yamabushi attains an inner perfection. His type changes to Outsider.

Yamabushi
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+0
|
+2
|AC Bonus (light), Warrior's Necessities, Tengu Lore

2nd|
+2
|
+3
|
+0
|
+3
|Calm Fury, Healer's Touch (Herbs)

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|
+3
|AC bonus (medium)

4th|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|
+4
|Mettle

5th|
+5
|
+4
|
+1
|
+4
|AC Bonus (heavy), Healer's Touch (Ki transfer)

6th|
+6
|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|Warrior's Prescience

7th|
+7
|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|Spiritual Toughness

8th|
+8
|
+6
|
+2
|
+6
|Abundant Step

9th|
+9
|
+6
|
+3
|
+6
|Spiritual Presence

10th|
+10
|
+7
|
+3
|
+7
|Perfect Self[/table]

Balanced? I sincerly doubt it is. Cool? Hopefully. It might be too generic though.

EvilElitest
2007-03-11, 02:04 PM
What is a Yamabush and how are the releted to Samurai? Fluff please?
from,
EE

Fizban
2007-03-11, 04:24 PM
Too many spoiler blocks, you only need one for class features. It's actually longer than it would be without them.

Spiritual toughness should state weather or not it's retroactive.

So, baisically it's a few monk abilities in PrC form? Probably underpowered then. Nice idea though.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-11, 05:28 PM
Too many spoiler blocks, you only need one for class features. It's actually longer than it would be without them.

Yes it was.:smallsmile:

Spiritual toughness should state weather or not it's retroactive.

Done.

So, baisically it's a few monk abilities in PrC form? Probably underpowered then. Nice idea though.

Basically its Vow of Poverty Monk + actually being able to use equipment. It has a few unique Wisdom based stuff though.

Yamabushi were a group of Buddhist monks who lived in the mountains. They followed a system called "Sugendo" and were also called "Shugenja" but since there's already a Shugenja I chose not to confuse things by mentioning that in the class. Folklore assigned them powers and they were associated with Ninja.

Basically it's a Fighter/Monk who gains spiritual power through secluded training. Honestly it isn't so differant from a Swordsage but I felt like making it anyway. I also made this because I a bit annoyed that Vow of Poverty didn't let me get a decent weapon.

I thought Abundant Step might help them take on maneouverable enemies that normally make fighters redundant.

EvilElitest
2007-03-11, 08:35 PM
Yes it was.:smallsmile:

Done.

Basically its Vow of Poverty Monk + actually being able to use equipment. It has a few unique Wisdom based stuff though.

Yamabushi were a group of Buddhist monks who lived in the mountains. They followed a system called "Sugendo" and were also called "Shugenja" but since there's already a Shugenja I chose not to confuse things by mentioning that in the class. Folklore assigned them powers and they were associated with Ninja.

Basically it's a Fighter/Monk who gains spiritual power through secluded training. Honestly it isn't so differant from a Swordsage but I felt like making it anyway. I also made this because I a bit annoyed that Vow of Poverty didn't let me get a decent weapon.

I thought Abundant Step might help them take on maneouverable enemies that normally make fighters redundant.

Interesting. Thanks, what is the fluff in your game.
from,
EE

Matthew
2007-03-14, 07:11 PM
I would imagine it is based on the Japanese Yamabushi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamabushi), which literally translates Mountain [Yama] Warrior [Bushi].