PDA

View Full Version : New Magic Items

Quellian-dyrae
2007-03-10, 02:07 PM
Enhancer Items: These items include: Belt of Might, Gloves of Agility, Amulet of Vitality, Headband of Knowledge, Periapt of Reason, and Cloak of Influence. They provide enhancement bonuses to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma, respectively, sufficient to bring the wearer's base score (that is, considering only the score generated on character creation without any modifiers) to 16, 20, or 24, depending on the power of the item.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, bull's strength, cat's grace, bear's endurance, fox's cunning, owl's wisdom, or eagle's splendor (as appropriate); Price 6,000 gp (16), 24,000 gp (20), 54,000 gp (24).

Indestructable Weapon/Armor: An indestructable weapon or suit of armor has its hardness and hit points doubled. It receives bonuses to its base hardness and hit points (before doubling) based on its total effective enhancement bonus, rather than only its actual enhancement bonuses. In addition, for each point of its effective enhancement bonus, it receives a +2 bonus on all saving throws.

Moderate transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shield; Price +1 bonus.

Crushing Weapon: A crushing weapon increases the damage bonus provided by the power attack feat by 50%.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bull's strength; Price +2 bonus.

Guardian Weapon: A guardian weapon increases the AC bonus provided by fighting defensively, taking the total defense action, or using the combat expertise feat by 50%.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cat's grace; Price +2 bonus.

Spellstriking Weapon: As a swift action you can imbue one of your currently prepared spells with a casting time of one standard action or less into a spellstriking weapon immediately upon making an attack. If your attack hits the spell's effects are visited on the target. Only the target suffers the effects of the spell, regardless of its usual targeting method. The target receives no saving throw to reduce the spell's damage. Other saving throws allowed against the spell are made at a -4 penalty.

Spellstriking weapons are designed to afflict foes with spell effects directly, not to store spells. As a result, the spell is discharged from the weapon immediately after your attack, whether or not it hits.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Permanency; Price +3 bonus.

Endless Quivers: Endless quivers are constantly filled with arrows, bolts, shuriken, or other expendable projectiles (depending on the quiver). Whenever a projectile is drawn from an endless quiver, it is automatically replaced. Projectiles drawn from endless quivers vanish after one round.

An endless quiver's price is simply for the enchantment on the quiver, which allows it to provide normal ammunition of a given sort. For special ammunition (such as masterwork, silvered, adamantine, and so on) the price increases by the cost of 100 such pieces of ammunition. An endless quiver can provide multiple types of ammunition; the highest price is calculated normally, while lower cost ammo costs double to add to the quiver.

Endless quivers can be enchanted as weapons with any enchantment appropriate to their projectiles. All projectiles taken from the quiver then possess that enchantment. Multiple enchantments can be placed onto an endless quiver; calculate the highest enchantment cost normally, and add half again the cost of all lower enchantments (for example, a quiver that could produce either frost arrows +1 or flaming burst arrows +2 would add 44,000 gold to the quiver's price; 32,000 for the flaming burst arrows and 8,000 * 1.5 = 12,000 for the frost arrows).

Faint conjuration; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, summon monster I; Price 2,000 gold.

Collin152
2007-03-10, 03:50 PM
So, spellstriking is like a form of Spell Storing, but better but only for spellcasters? It would be superb in a gestalt game. Sneak Attacking while hitting them, and only them, with a meteor swarm? Oh yeah!
I like them, but the first set seems needlessly complicated, though it does fill a completely new niche...

jlousivy
2007-03-10, 03:54 PM
Enhancer items are too... good i think, it can allow a too much min-maxing, but at the same time, it can help prevent people from having a 432542 stat

paddyfool
2007-03-11, 06:03 AM
I agree with jlousivy's criticism, but I do particularly like the crushing weapon, guardian weapon and endless quiver. Indestructible I also like, except that I'm not sure if it should be a +1 bonus or a flat cost, since it doesn't directly relate to the main function of the item.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-03-11, 01:44 PM
Yeah, with enhancer items, I figured that the benefits of not forcing characters to be permanently shortchanged with a low ability score roll was more important than potential min-maxing. Also makes it easier for classes that need a lot of ability scores to function.

I was thinking along the same lines with indestructable items. In the end, I decided that it was probably a good enough ability that if it was a flat cost then any high-level character would tack it on the item (I mean, who wants to risk losing their primary weapon?) If it takes a point out of the maximum enhancement bonus, it becomes something to think about.

Of course, the reverse of that theory is that a character's magic items become more and more important as it gains levels, but also more and more vulnerable, considering that their defenses generally scale at a much slower rate than the foes' offenses. So, not quite sure which is the better way to go about it.

Fizban
2007-03-12, 02:46 AM
You should probably change spellsriking to use a swift action, to avoid it's combination with wraithstrike or quickened spells, and ToB classes. It's getting so that a good gish can drop 3 or 4 spells on a guy with one attack, no need to add to it.

(Let's see: spell storing+spellstriking+smiting spell+swift action spell or quickened spell+more I can't recall at the moment. And that's without Steeldance and doesn't include maneuvers.)

Quellian-dyrae
2007-03-12, 03:30 PM
Good call. I'll swap that around.

...Why did I even say free action?