PDA

View Full Version : Big Fat Solo Exchange: Jifmondo the Windscarred

Raunchel
2014-09-11, 08:32 AM
It would have been a day like any other in Perusia, if it weren´t for the arrival of a trio of ships in the harbour. Ships come and go every day, but not ships like these. Two are normal trading ships, of which thousands ply the seas of the archipelago, but the third is the Taurus, a quinquereme. It is famous, but not for being a warship. It is famous because it is a private ship, owned by none other than Tarpeius Didius Interfector. The whole city is speaking about the great huntsman, about how he bested the Larcian Serpent, how he slaughtered the dire wolf pack of Nova Rhenia and of course the thousands of other animals that have died by his hand.

A man walks by the waterfront. He is dressed in a simple brown tunic, but all attention is immediately drawn to his face. It is weathered and he has a wild white beard. He walks bow-legged and swaying like a sailor. He has a guide of kinds, a poor boy. The boy points towards you and then runs away. The man fixes his bright blue eyes on you and approaches. "Ave, stranger. I am Anchises, freedman in the service of the famous Tarpeius Didius Interfector and am looking for a man known as Jifmondo the Windscarred."

LittleCarp04
2014-09-12, 12:15 PM
Jif casts his view around the waterfront and sees the young point point and run off. He heaves a bit of a sigh, knowing this will probably be trouble.

"Aye, I am the one you are looking for. Who are you, and how do you know my name?" Jif says with a bit of anger suffusing his voice at the fact that he is being addressed by this wild looking man, but also holding judgement until he hears what the man wants.

Raunchel
2014-09-12, 04:27 PM
He looks right at Jifmondo and smiles, half his teeth are missing and tge rest is in a far from perfect state. "My name is Anchises, my former master and current employer Tarpeius Didius Interfector has sent me to see you. He has heard of your skills and wishes to speak to you. Or that is what I should say. Tge truth of the matter is that my boss wants to hire you. His coin is good, and if he likes you, well, then you can set yourself for life. There is a bit of danger in the hunt he's going on, but what os danger to an old hand like you? "

LittleCarp04
2014-09-13, 12:42 AM
"Well if it is about a job... I will accept your offer and speak with your master." Jif uses the derogatory term knowing that Anchises has mentioned he is no longer a slave to his new boss. Jif also uses his skills to see if he can determine anything fishy about the offer.

"But know Anchises that if this is a trick, you and your master will pay dearly."

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Raunchel
2014-09-13, 09:57 AM
Anchises seems to be honest. When Didius is called his master a frown appears on his weathered face. "This is not some kind of con, you have my word on that. My employer isn't noted for his patience, so you can meet him at once if you follow me.", he answers with an even gruffer voice. He turns around and paces away, still swaggering.

When he is asked about why he still serves Didius Anchises replies: "I was given my freedom after I saved him when our ship hit the rocks off Galba. I then had to decide what to do and he offered me this job. What else could I have done? I've been on the galleys my whole adult life, and before that I worked the fields. I simply had nothing to offer."

"He didn't know about you in specific. He just told me that he needed someone who could read the winds for his next expedition. Have you heard about the Great Beast of the Solanum Sea? It hides in those waters and attacks shipping in the whole area, doing tremendous damage. Tarpeius Didius is going to hunt it, to protect the grainships that go to Livium. It will bring him great glory and will save many sailors."

You can ask him questions if you want to, I will retcon the answers in here.

He takes you to a large galley, a true warship. It is almost a hundred and fifty feet long and you can almost smell the hundreds of slaves who row it. The whole ship has been painted bright red, in contrast to the black of the Clusian navy. A large tent has been set up at the back of the ship, and a slave opens it for you to enter.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-13, 10:21 AM
As they walk Jif asks a few questions that would expected of anyone walking to a meet someone new and following someone they met only a minute ago.
So when did you obtain your autonomy from Anchises, if you are no longer his servant, why do you still serve him?
What do you know of this job that you can tell me so I am more prepared to meet your boss?
How is it that he heard of me? How long have you been looking for me before I appeared?

Upon arriving Jif prepares himself mentally and checks the spells that Nethuns deemed fit for him to have today. Ready for whatever might come at him just incase, he took a moment to enjoy the constrction of the ship, knowing that from this platform he could truly unleash devastation upon enemy ships, he puts a wry smile on his face and walks inside the tent.

Raunchel
2014-09-13, 12:59 PM
Inside the tent you can see that it is divided into compartments. The inside of the tent smells of fine perfumes. The entrance is dominated by a table filled with maps. A man sits behind it, looking over an assortment of scrolls and maps. Next to him there is a stand with sculpted golden armour, a rune-filled spear and a red-crested helmet. He himself wears a white tunic, with a thin purple band signifying that he is from one of the hundred great families of Clusium. He looks up when you enter. He has a short-trimmed beard and has short black hair, combed over the bald spot at the back of his head.

"As you might have guessed I am Tarpeius Didius, nicknamed Interfector, and I presume that you are the man who can read the winds? I have need of someone with your skills, I will pay you as befits someone of your skill, twenty-five denarii per day. And a big reward if we kill the creature. Then you will receive ten thousand denarii. Are these terms agreeable to you?"

Denarii are silver pieces. I will also write out the coinage system when I have some more time.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-13, 01:20 PM
Knowledge: Nature for any information about the great beast of the Solanum Sea. [roll0]
Knowledge: Local for more information on the Interfector or his family: [roll1]
Sense motive to determine if there is any trickery afoot: [roll2]

Thinking over the offer, and fingering the ring on his left middle finger, he decides that the opportunity to see the great beast would be worth it even without the considerable pay.

"I accept. Jif says curtly. "When do we depart?"

Raunchel
2014-09-13, 01:35 PM
Nature: The great beast is rumoured to be a giagantic white fish which randomly attacks ships by capsizing them.
Local: Interfector is the brother of Tarpeius Iunius Claudius, who held the highest post of Clusium three years ago. He himself is famous for being a great hunter, and a man who enjoys life to the fullest.
Sense Motive: There is nothing that triggers your spider sense.

"Excellent. We leave tomorrow, just after the sun has rissen. I suggest that you settle your affairs here, our journey won't be a safe one."

LittleCarp04
2014-09-14, 12:06 AM
Everything pressing has been handled already, I take the evening to reflect on the day to come, in the morning I prepare the spells I think will be of the most use for the travel and hunt to come. I arrive to the ship shortly before dawn and breath in deep the smells of the sea and get excited about getting away from the destruction and waste of the town.

Raunchel
2014-09-14, 10:06 AM
The next morning a whole crowd is gathered in the harbour, it almost is difficult for you to get through, but after some struggling you reach the red ship. A few minutes after your arrival the crowd almost goes wild when Didius approaches the ship. He is surrounded by several burly men and he himself wears his golden armour. He blows kisses into the crowd and when he reaches the ship he turns around and speaks. His manner of speaking shows that he has been educated in it: "My dear, dear friends. It truly pains me to leave your fine city behind, but there is a duty that must be done. There is a great beast plaguing the sea routes and attacking the innocent. I would have loved to stay longer, and swear to you that I will return soon enough. I thank you for your great hospitality which again shows that Perusia is one of the greatest cities of the world."

The people cheer, and Didius climbs aboard. Little later the three ships start to move, propelled by hundreds of slaves who toil below the decks. The sea appears calm and the spirits of the crew are up. A few feet away from you you see Anchises staring out over the sea. Didius is in his tent and the burly men that accompanied him are wandering over the deck. They walk like soldiers, but they wear civilian clothing.

Basically, this is where you can talk to everyone.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-14, 06:40 PM
I take in the spectacle of his addressing the crowd and find it difficult to suppress my laughter. Innocents... what a farce. I can't wait to see this "beast" for myself and see if we can't find common ground. This man's goal of being a great hunter may not be as simple as he believes when he brought me aboard this ship... the thought tumble through my head as as board the ship and we embark on our travel.

Even if the company is not my preferred sort it is nice to be on the ocean again, the weather seems to be a little calm for my tastes but things can change quickly on the seas.

"So Anchises, what do you think of this journey? Is this "beast" truly a threat to your people?"

I make my way over to another sailer milling about, "So why were you chosen for this hunt? Sorry for the intrusion but I am trying to get a grasp of our crew's ability in case we run in to troubles."

Raunchel
2014-09-15, 10:14 AM
"The beast is a threat allright, it attacked almost half a dozen ships last month, and will keep doing it. Of course, the boss isn't hunting it for that, he just wants to show its head to the people, and to be a hero.", Anchises replies. He doesn't seem fazed by this hunt, "He's been at it for a while now, and he was starting to run outof monsters to slay."

The sailor is a younger man than Anchises, but he still looks like he knows his way around a ship: "Why I was taken on this trip? Well, the pay is exceedingly good, which is why most of us are former navy men, unlike that freedman you were talking to earlier. We are proper Clusians, citizens now, but all of us have been in the wars"

After two days of sailing one of the crew shouts: "Wreckage, to starboard!"

Didius immediately orders the small fleet to turn towards it. Your keen eyes can make out several people clinging to the wreckage, and a few more lying on pieces of a shattered ship.

I took the liberty of taking your spot check for you, to speed things up.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-16, 12:23 AM
Jif looks excited to have a break from the rather uneventful travel thus far, he doesn't want to reveal too much of his power to this crew yet but he focuses his attention on the wreckage and walks up to the fore deck for a better view.

He take a moment to enjoy the thought that a storm wrecked their ship but knows it is likely the beast they are hunting. Unsatisfied with his view, he ignores the suprise of the crew and takes off in flight, a small whirlpool of air propelling him forward toward the crew. He knows this ship is just as quick but he was tired of not traveling under his own power. He heads toward the nearest person in the water and hovers near them, he crosses his arms and trys to look imposing, "What happened here? Where were you headed?"

He doesn't directly head to aid anyone or seem overly concerned for their well being.

Intimidate: [roll0]
I made the assumption it was a normally windy day and figured that the ships speed after shifting directions would probably be 30-40ft which is as fast as he flies so I figured its a fun time to try it out.

Raunchel
2014-09-16, 09:46 AM
As Jif hovers above the clinging seamen a fog starts to rise from the sea. It rises rapidly, surrounding everything and everyone. A little later Jifmondo hears sounds coming from the water, as though something breaks the surface. For a moment he can make out human shapes coming towards him, as though they leapt outof the water. He can distinguish at least three of them.

Three attacks are made against Jif, he is currently flat-footed.
Attack 1: To Hit: [roll0], damage: [roll1], Fort DC 12 save or nauseated if it hits ac 20.
Attack 2: To Hit: [roll2], damage: [roll3], Fort DC 12 save or nauseated if it hits ac 20.
Attack 3: To Hit: [roll4], damage: [roll5], Fort DC 12 save or nauseated if it hits ac 20.

Ehm, that is quite a start. I hadn't expected them to be that effective really. Jif suffers 46 damage and has to make three saves.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-16, 11:45 AM
I reel in surprise and has to focus my will to ignore the pain, I fly away from the danger and back toward the ship while casting a healing cantrip instantly regretting not preparing more healing magic that day.

I review what spell options I have at hand and judge how far the ship may be from helping me.

Ok so wow... I'm not sure other than just running what kind of options I may have...
Fort Save: [roll0]
Fort Save: [roll1]
Fort Save: [roll2]

Assuming Im not totally screwed I will cast Cure Light Wounds on my turn.
Cure Light Wounds: [roll3]

LittleCarp04
2014-09-16, 11:47 AM
Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

Raunchel
2014-09-17, 08:58 AM
The ships were just behind you as you flew to the wreckage, and their momentum drives them forwards. The Taurus passes under you and you can see Didius and his hunters running to the prow. He shouts: "What happened! What are these?" He seems excited, and carries a spear in his hand. The fog starts to spread over the three ships, and after a few moments you can hear shouts coming from the Aricola. "Help! What are these Things! Laran protect us!"

LittleCarp04
2014-09-17, 07:30 PM
Still reeling from the pain of the creatures attacks, I fly back to the deck of the ship and summon the magic that Nethuns has imbued in me to enhance my natural weapons.

Focusing my mind to look past the pain and I try recall any information about the creatures attacking us, I relay anything I learn to the crew so that it may help them against these foes. Back on deck I feel surprised but angry that I was forced to retreat so quickly. I spent a long time alone on that island, focusing my body and mind into perfect form to do battle against man in the name of nature and to be bested so quickly was more painful to my pride than even to my body.

Knowledge:Nature [roll0]
Knowledge:Religion [roll1]
Initiative: [roll2]

If I can take another turn I will use my movement to fly to the deck of the ship, and then cast Greater Magic Fang on myself.

Also, I assume it wont matter now but I do have Eye of the Storm so I can see through 10ft of fog or magical mist etc. Also there is the fact that I am never considered to be flat footed while flying, as found here under "Attacked while flying"
http://paizo.com/prd/skills/fly.html so rather than taking 46 damage, I would have only been hit by two of them for a total of 30 points of damage which I then healed 9 damage. So my current HP is 29, not super great but much better off than before.

I have updated my sheet with the current hp and spells used have been removed from my sheet.

Raunchel
2014-09-18, 10:11 AM
From what you´ve seen so far you know that these creatures are some kind of undead. They seem as though they were the crew of this unfortunate ship, animated by the same power that gives rise to these mists. They are unnaturally agile, but not as resistant to damage as many other undead. It is often said that sometimes shipwrecked sailors sell their souls to be spared, and that dark powers sometimes answer these desperate prayers, but they always take more than they gave. The poor souls however retain their old memories, but forget all morals they ever had.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-18, 09:08 PM
I relay the information to the crew in the hopes it may help them against these creatures and take back to the sky and head toward the ship under attack, I don't especially care about the fate of these men but I am being paid and I hate the unnaturalness of these undead creatures.

I will fly toward the ship under attack and try to see what I can before rushing in.

Raunchel
2014-09-19, 06:24 AM
Through the mist you can see that six of the undead are fighting aboard the smaller ship. It only had a dozen crewmen who are desperately trying to defend themselves. Several of them already lie dead on the deck and as you watch another is cut down by the dead. You can hear the slaves who are chained to the rowing benches screaming for help.

The Taurus is turning towards the smaller vessel, Didius and his hunters are clearly preparing to board the ship transporting their provisions.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-20, 08:39 AM
I have to take action before this trip is spoiled, I would hate if they try to deny me payment based on the death of their men.

Reviewing my spells available, and ensuring that my body is still enhanced by the magic I cast earlier I land on the deck positioning myself near one of the enemies but away from the bulk of them. I strike at it and charge my fist with the power of storms and it sizzles with arcs of lightning and the smell of ozone.

Roll attack with Elemental fist (4/day remaining): [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] + Elemental Fist: [roll2]

Raunchel
2014-09-20, 01:42 PM
The undead sailor narrowly manages to avoid your attack. It turns to strike back at you. Another sailor falls, leaving only six alive, facing five of the dead. The slaves below deck are screaming for help, but all such sounds are drowned out by the crunch of wood crashing into wood. Behind you you can see the massive form of the Taurus towering over the smaller ship's deck. The force of the impact throws everyone to the deck, but your flight keeps you in place. The dead man that was about to strike falls past you. It tries to get back to its feet to strike again.

You get an attack of opportunity against the undead sailor. Everyone on the deck is prone.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-21, 09:04 PM
I swing my leg up rapidly in a back kick at the fallen corpse as it rises from the jolted, damaged deck. After realizing a brief moment of relative safety, I step back and forgoing one spell to cast another bring a small storm into existence above the ship which I can use to call down bolts of lightning almost as if my god was punishing these unnatural horrors. I fly quickly around the deck to position myself to do the most damage possible to the undead when I see the opportunity.

Attack of opportunity: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Also if they are all prone I assume I will have another turn before being threatened again, if that is the case then I will step back 5 feet and cast Call Lightning, dropping Spike Growth to cast is spontaneously.
I will not use a bolt this turn and instead will try to position myself to be able to have two of them lined up, if a crewman is there I will try to avoid it, but I am more concerned killing the undead than avoiding any collateral damage to the crew.

Raunchel
2014-09-23, 10:24 AM
The call lightning spell lets you draw forth vertical bolts of lightning, so you can hurt only one, unless you can get them to pile up in a single square. But the hit of the ship would have achieved that, throwing most of them there in the pile. You would hit four sailors, but also four of the undead, if you want to change your actions.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-24, 04:36 PM
Seeing the opportunity of the undead piled in a spot I unleash the gathered power of the storm in a large bolt of lighting that flashed down toward the pile, belatedly I see that a few of the sailors are stuck in the pile, but it is clear they can't hold their own against the undead and maybe the lightning wont kill them.

Damage: [roll0]

Raunchel
2014-09-25, 07:29 AM
The bolt of lightning smashes into the pile of bodies. One of the undead manages to roll away, but a few moments later three sizzled undead rise, the last of the sailors are dead. The one you had injured before and another come running at you, seeking to cut you with their wicked blades. The injured monster manages to hit you, cutting an unpleasant gash.

At the same time you hear a cry from behind you, and a spear flies past you, impaling your fresh attacker before pulling itself out and flying back to its owner.

Reflex undead: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3] DC 20

Reflex sailors: [roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7] DC 20

The undead who attack you:
Nr 1: [roll8], damage: [roll9]
Nr 1: [roll10], damage: [roll11]

The rest of the rolls is done in secret, to keep a few little things hidden.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-25, 09:21 AM
This situation isn't looking too great... I need to gain distance to think for a moment, and allow some of these other sailors to pull some of the weight

Jif rolls quickly clear of the undead near him and shoots up into the air, after gaining a bit of distance and relative safety, he then calls down lighting from the gathered cloud on one of the undead who attacked him.

Acrobatic check to roll free of any undead without provoking attack of opportunity: [roll0]

Call Lightning: [roll1]

Raunchel
2014-09-26, 07:35 AM
The dead thing is slightly burned by the lightning, the smell of burnt flesh starts to overcome that of the rowers who are chained below deck. But the attention of the dead is drawn to a boarding party that has just entered the deck. It is led by Didius who holds his spear and throws it again, ending one of the former sailors. The last two surviving sailors are cut down by the lost souls, and the rest of the undead now turn to face your employer and his huntsmen.

Reflex save: [roll0] DC 20

LittleCarp04
2014-09-26, 10:02 PM
Seeing them distracted I will fly behind one of the undead busy fighting one of my allies and strike at its back.

Attack=[roll0]
Damage=[roll1]

Raunchel
2014-09-29, 09:24 AM
Your fist crushes into the monster's skull, and it falls, unmoving. The hunters seem more capable than the sailors. They protect Didius from the remaining attackers and his punches his spear through one of your enemies. The fighting remains chaotic, but outof the corner of your eye you see one of the undead breaking away, running to the side of the ship, as though he tries to escape.

LittleCarp04
2014-09-29, 09:47 PM
Jif turns and rushes straight for the enemy and infuses his fist with lightning and aims a shot for the enemy trying to keep it from escaping.

"Stop them from escaping!"

Ok so im gonna switch to third person for my typing it just works better in my mind as the character.

Charge attack using Elemental Fist. (3 left for the day)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]

Raunchel
2014-09-30, 10:29 AM
Jif's block, crackling with energy, crushes into the fleeing dead sailor. It remains standing however. Immediately it turns around, growling: "Let me be, windman. Let me be."

LittleCarp04
2014-09-30, 09:09 PM
Jif grabs the enemy and asks, "What is your purpose here? Why did you attack this ship and then us when we came upon them? Speak switfly and I may let you live."

He takes a moment to look around the others and see how they are faring against their enemies.

Raunchel
2014-10-03, 07:59 AM
"Life! I want life! We were promised, by She who Spares that we would get full life again if we took seventeen of them!", he replies. His face shows a deep pain, as though he has been in intense pain for days. "We would be free again, we would live again."

The remaining undead are still fighting, one of the huntsmen appears to be wounded, but two of the dead have fallen.

LittleCarp04
2014-10-05, 05:21 PM
"Take them where? To serve what purpose?"

Jif then turns and heads to help another sailor fight their enemy.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Raunchel
2014-10-06, 10:21 AM
"To kill. I kill seventeen, and I live again. That was the promise. I just want to live. This half-life is hell, but death is even worse.", the croaks, his voice sounding dry, and filled with fear and pain. His words however distract Jif, letting his target avoid his blow. But histarget is put down by the huntsman, leaving only one surrounded enemy and of course the more talkative enemy.

LittleCarp04
2014-10-11, 08:42 AM
"Where would she meet you at and how would she contact you? If you agree to help us there is a chance we can help you in turn."

Jif looks over to the combat and seeing that enemy surrounded he decides to try to end that combat and calls down another bolt of lightning at the enemy.

Damage: [roll0]

Raunchel
2014-10-14, 08:56 AM
The final enemy falls. "She came in our minds. She whispered to us. We had to kill them, and she would bring us back to life. That's all I know. She spoke to us. Her words came on the wind, through the water. She wants the souls."