PDA

View Full Version : Hashing out a level 20 shenanigans kobold

bjoern
2014-09-11, 11:38 AM
So its pretty well known that you can get some crazy stuff going on with kobolds. I'm looking to write up a 20 level build for a dragonwrought white dragon spawn loredrake kobold sorcerer. I know that the legitimacey of the concept is very debatable. I'm looking to put together the build with references (book and page numbers, links, etc) that can be presentable to a DM and having a chance of being allowed in a high powered campaign for level 20+.

I know there are some discrepancies between DW and dragon spawn. Is this a possible combination?

I know i want to aim more for the mailman type build. I have read some on spell hoarding. Is it worth it for this build?

I've done some Google searching and everything I find is just a pile of different aspects of the build. Like do this do that. But I've yet to find an actual spelled out build.

Thanks

EDIT--regarding the interaction between dragonwrought and dragon spawn. I've seen this explained as being possible in the following way:
Take dragon spawn first, then retrain something to dragon wrought.
Except that the rules in PH2 about retraining say that you must have been eligible for the new feat at the time . So "at the time" you would have been dragon spawn, you would be ineligible.

I don't see these two features working together . At least using retraining.

A_S
2014-09-11, 02:50 PM
I know there are some discrepancies between DW and dragon spawn. Is this a possible combination?
Probably not. Dragonspawn is an acquired template ("transforms humanoids into draconianlike creatures by fusing the mind and soul of the victim with the shard of a draconian's") that can only be applied to a creature of the humanoid or monstrous humanoid type. The Dragonwrought feat must be taken during character creation, and changes your type to dragon. There's some room to make an argument that you could have been transformed into a Dragonspawn in your backstory, and that "character creation" takes place when you become an adventurer and gain your first class level, rather than at birth, but this is very shaky ground.

I know i want to aim more for the mailman type build. I have read some on spell hoarding. Is it worth it for this build?
I generally think that Sorcerers make better Mailman-style blasters than Wizards anyway, so I'd stick with Loredrake rather than Spellhoarding.

-----

As for a specific build, well, get creative. With Loredrake and Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, you'll be casting as a level 4 Sorcerer at level 1 (assuming you take Sorcerer at first level). Use that to get into some PrC's early, take PrC's that are good for blasting, and enjoy being a Sorcerer blaster, but better.

If you're desperate, you could always do worse than Sorcerer 5/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 5. Or you could take advantage of your extra Sorcerer levels to lose a few caster levels and still hit CL20 by level 20, going with something like Sorcerer 2/Cleric 3/Dweomerkeeper 4/Incantatrix 10/Sacred Exorcist 1, taking that "Destroy Undead" Cleric ACF from the Ravenloft book to get two turning pools to fuel Divine Metamagic (Twin Spell) or some BS like that.