PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Please poke holes in my first PoW Character (Steelfist Commando Warlord)

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-11, 06:41 PM
Kharyll
Human Steelfist Commando (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warlord/warlord-archetypes/steelfist-commando-warlord-archetype) Warlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warlord)1
Stats (25 point buy)
10 str
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 14 (+2 Human Bonus)
Traits: Outlander: Lore Seeker (+1 Arcana and it is always a class skill)
Classically Schooled ( +1 spellcraft and it is always a class skill)

Feats:
1) Weapon Finesse
HB) Weapon Group Adaptation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Weapon-Group-Adaptation-Combat-) (Light Blades to Broken Blade)
SFC1) Improved Unarmed Strike
Wld1) Two-weapon Fighting

Skills (7/8 Skill points) (Depends if I take the FCB for skill points or HP)
Acrobatics +7
Bluff +7
K: Arcana +7
Perception + 4
Stealth +7
Spellcraft +7
Sleight of Hand +4 (not sure)
Heal +4 (not sure)

Maneuvers Known (6):
Horizon Wind Lancet
Dizzying Venom Prana
Brawlers Attitude/Pommel Bash
Offensive Roll
Shards of Iron Strike
Swift Claws

Stances Known: (2) Pugilist Stance

Gambits:
Dastardly/Sweeping Gambit
Acrobatic Gambit

Concept wise I'm thinking on a pragmatic fighter who can fight equally well unarmed or armed, I chose to go the TWF route because it is pretty cool on it's own and PoW gives us some really neat stuff to make it work, for example and archetype that is intended to mesh both of them... or at least can make it works since level 1; I also want to combine unarmed attacks with armed attacks to showcase the agility and progress of this character (via maneuvers such as Flash Kick, Finishing kick and similar).

I also intend to eventually go for Mage Hunter levels, hence the traits and the ranks in K: Arcana & Spellcraft, plus I've always liked the idea of knowledgeable martial characters.

Is there any glaring holes in my character, anything that I could improve?

Shinken
2014-09-11, 06:58 PM
I like it. You'll be taking Deadly Grace or Slashing Grace at level 3, I presume?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-11, 07:02 PM
I think you mean deadly agility, but yes that is the plan, though I may have to delay it to level 7 so I can qualify for Mage Hunter at level 6... or delay Mage Hunter itself to level 7 so I can pick up Improved Initiative or Step up at warlord 6... gah... why didn't I notice that before :smallsigh:

Sayt
2014-09-11, 07:10 PM
First, build advice:
Considering your ability point buy, I'd pick up Deadly Agility before weapon group adaptation. It'll increase your damage and furthermore, there are weapons which are both light blades and Broken Blade weapons, (The Kama and the butterfly sword are the ones that pop out immediately as being in both, and Steelfist commando gets proficiency with them as monk weapons).

Rules problems: Steelfist Commando unarmed combat replaces your Warlord 1 bonus feat, you don't get them both.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-11, 08:10 PM
Huh... I didn't notice that the Unarmed Combatant replaces the first level bonus feat, guess it was because the Archetype itself still mentions the bonus feat; though upon re-reading should be because it expands the bonus feat to be able to select rogue talents.

Dammit, I guess I could rely on Swift Claws and Flurry Strike to "two-weapon fight" until I pick it at level 3, getting Improved initiative at 5 and Step up at 6th.

Ok considering that, how about this progression?
1 Steelfist Commando: IUS, Weapon Finesse, Deadly Agility
2 Steelfist Commando
3 Steelfist Commando:GUS, TWF
4 Steelfist Commando
5 Steelfist Commando: Improved Initiative
6 Steelfist Commando:Step-up
7 Mage Hunter: Something

Sayt
2014-09-11, 08:51 PM
I also suggest picking up Lightning swap if you intend to TWF and cast.

Mostly because you won't have a hand free for somatic components or retrieving spell components if you're TWFing..

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-11, 08:56 PM
.... I might have dove headfirst into this character without completely thinking it through.... Assuming I get Quick Draw at 7, then the earliest I could get it would be at level 9, which isn't too bad all things considered.
I think I might want to have my cake and eat it too :smallsigh:

Sayt
2014-09-11, 09:18 PM
That said, seeing as you're getting Greater Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat, you might want to consider going otherwise unarmed, and not using weapons. Thrashing Dragon, Steel Serpent and Broken Blade all have close or monk as their weapon groups, and so you can use dual fists and not obstruct spellcasting capacity, but it does cost more, as ever to make unarmed strikes magical. If you want Solar Wind maneuvers, you're going to need quick draw before you get iteratives so you can throw them.

If you want, you can be a Wizard Punching Wizard!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-11, 09:40 PM
Well, it is a long way off so I'll see how the campaign develops. We are going to play through Rise of the Runelords, I don't know if we will met weekly or every-other week so I think I have enough time to think about it. For the record Wizard Punching Wizard might just be the best I've heard/read today :smallbiggrin:

Shinken
2014-09-11, 10:32 PM
You could use a one-handed weapon and unarmed strikes for TWF.

Jigawatts
2014-09-12, 01:29 AM
You could use a one-handed weapon and unarmed strikes for TWF.
I would probably also recommend this, at least for the beginning levels. Overall it doesn't make a huge difference though, as much of your damage will be coming straight from your maneuvers. I'd probably drop the weapon when you enter the Mage Hunter PrC, just for flavor purposes (I'd probably even do a big scene where I throw down my weapon, saying something like "I don't need weak crutches like this anymore"), and when you hit Mage Hunter 2 your unarmed damage pops up to d6.

Wizard Punching Wizard just sounds epic.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-12, 05:25 PM
I have some bad news, I talked with my DM and he vetoed my Wizard Punching Wizard on the grounds he is not familiar enough with PoW :smallfrown:

Shinken
2014-09-12, 05:34 PM
I have some bad news, I talked with my DM and he vetoed my Wizard Punching Wizard on the grounds he is not familiar enough with PoW :smallfrown:

Give him the .pdf as a gift. You know you want to!

Jigawatts
2014-09-12, 05:56 PM
Give him the .pdf as a gift. You know you want to!
+1

Or just forward him this link.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-12, 06:02 PM
That is not the (whole) issue, we are playing with some fairly new players and he doesn't want to overwhelm them with too many option :smallsigh:; which in my opinion undermines one of 3.5/PF biggest strengths, that's it the incredibly vast amount of options to build characters, but I sort of understand where he is coming from.

There is also the fact that I myself don't own the PDF and was relying on the pfsrd :smallredface: