PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords [Ongoing Setup Board]

R-Group
2014-09-11, 09:11 PM
Just laying this thread down now for some friends to continue our campaign online.

ABrooks
2014-09-12, 11:31 AM
So when is this gonna start?

R-Group
2014-09-12, 02:49 PM
Eventually, I just want to ensure that everyone has created an account, and has spent some time getting used to the Forum environment for gameplay. For example, allow me to introduce a few features that you might like to know about.

Within the Forum, there are a few simple almost code-based tools, the most common being an in-built dice roller. So, if I wanted to roll 1d20, with a +4 modifier, I would write [ roll ] 1d20+4 [ / roll ] without any spaces. The result looks like this: [roll0]. So, I'd appreciate it if all the dice rolls that need to be made could just be done using this feature.

Second, are Spoilers. They are created by using the markers [ SPOILER ] [ / SPOILER ] without any spaces, and look like this:

During the game, all Out of Character Dialogue and Dice Rolls should be placed in a Spoiler box.

If you want to give the Spoiler a title, just add =____ after the first SPOILER in the function, where ____ is the intended title. Looks like this:

It's not that difficult, and I imagine you guys have all done something like this before.

And finally, I'll need each of you to pick a text color to represent your Character's Dialogue, so it stands out more. Those options are available in the HTML style response field, along with other Font stuff. For DM Text and NPC's I will be using this Dark Red, and maybe some other colors. Just pick whatever you'd like to use.

And as a final confirmation, everyone does have their Character sheet available to them? I would also advise everyone do some research on all their abilities, and open a Mythweavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php) account to utilize their online Character Sheets.

Last but not least, we can work out any final bit, pieces, and questions anyone has before we continue the game.

Trystero
2014-09-14, 08:07 PM
Serenity Moonflower reporting for duty

R-Group
2014-09-14, 08:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MXaLbQk.gif

Now we just need the other two.

ForceFlex
2014-09-22, 11:09 AM
Breek's here.

R-Group
2014-09-22, 11:22 AM
Good good good.

I shall consult our final member and then we shall begin. I would suggest everyone set this Thread to their subscriptions so that you can keep track of what's going on in a day-to-day basis.

Trystero
2014-09-28, 08:28 AM
Good good good.

I shall consult our final member and then we shall begin. I would suggest everyone set this Thread to their subscriptions so that you can keep track of what's going on in a day-to-day basis.

Found our alchemist yet?

R-Group
2014-09-28, 10:44 AM
Not yet, since he's off reenacting, but enough is enough. Within a day of two I'll get you three started, and he can join in once I've tracked him down.

Trystero
2014-09-28, 06:18 PM
awwwwraiighhhtt

Trystero
2014-10-03, 08:54 PM
Well it's a new month and still no Weathers.... maybe we should start up and introduce his character later if he wants to hop in?

R-Group
2014-10-04, 11:23 AM
Once I get a chance you three may continue the game. I'm still experimenting with Roll20, so if I ever get that up and running then we can transition over.

ForceFlex
2014-10-21, 08:35 PM
http://imgur.com/a/M9KSy
Dad, can we?

R-Group
2014-10-21, 10:03 PM
That is a beautiful idea and I fully support it. If I built the table, would someone be willing to manage the technological aspect?

ForceFlex
2014-10-22, 10:38 AM
Managing it would be easy enough, just use the TV as a display for a computer. The only problem is getting the TV (because money). I even have a few extra computers lying around at my house we could use to host it.

ABrooks
2014-10-22, 10:54 AM
Are there any used electronics stores around Manchester? That would be the best bet. It's not like we would need anything with a good resolution, so long as its large.

Trystero
2014-10-22, 04:29 PM
There's like a small tv screen we never use, I'll see if I can commandeer it/buy it from my family

Trystero
2014-10-22, 04:30 PM
say 30 x 20 inches

Trystero
2014-10-22, 06:58 PM
Also how close are we to getting started with part 2?

R-Group
2014-10-22, 10:08 PM
Close. I just need to get the time to post something so you all can get started playing online. I'll get around to it eventually, but it'll take time to write up a full description, for roleplaying purposes.

Trystero
2014-10-23, 01:52 PM
Righto, best of luck!

R-Group
2014-12-01, 06:13 PM
May I direct your attention to this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386343-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Continuation&p=18475124#post18475124

You may all begin posting whenever you wish, and remember to color your character's voice.

ABrooks
2014-12-01, 09:37 PM
How do I into color? Not sure what the forum code is, and too lazy to find out.

R-Group
2014-12-01, 09:39 PM
Have no fear. All you need to do is highlight the text and then select the option in the response menu that resembles an Italicized "A". The dropdown includes all the color options.

R-Group
2014-12-02, 05:46 PM
I should have known that this would fall apart. Usually it's proper to allow the DM to respond before someone leaves the scene. Especially since you need to actually say "Blank leaves and goes to the bar." As of right now, the Psychiatrist just said out loud that he's leaving and then didn't go anywhere.

And Eli, I swear to goodness, you weren't there yet! I was going to introduce your character once the Sheriff brought the rest back to the Watch-house. Instead, he's just there. Just, please, slow down a bit here.

Trystero
2014-12-03, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I was really eager to figure out what being lawful good felt like.

R-Group
2014-12-03, 05:34 PM
Don't sweat it, but hold your horses. I'm thinking we should take some time to develop every characters' backstory before we start up again. I'll contact everyone individually for this, right now I'm working with ABrooks on his dude.

Trystero
2014-12-04, 12:31 PM
Also Smiley, Ymir Whaifhuu's character sheet it finished if you wan to look it over in some form.

R-Group
2014-12-04, 12:52 PM
Might not hurt, and then I can give some suggestions if need be. Think you can send it as a .pdf somehow?

Trystero
2014-12-04, 01:47 PM
I'm on it, might have to use screenshots

ABrooks
2014-12-04, 05:34 PM
Rolling for hp [roll0]

ForceFlex
2014-12-04, 06:11 PM
What did Breek get at the end of the campaign for part 1? Are there any items I need to add to my sheet? And did anyone level up?

R-Group
2014-12-04, 07:56 PM
Let's see here, Breek gets 400 XP, though you'll have to argue with your companions for the loot. They received a whole bunch of various coins and a whole bunch of magic candles. However, apparently none of the original characters who Breek made a deal with are still alive, so I'm not sure how much success you'll have...

In other news though, Dun is the Wizard that Weathers is supposedly playing, and he hasn't spoken yet. I believe the person you're referring to is Mengele - and he is currently being rewritten into a Character that makes more sense given the Campaign (because there is no Freudian psychologist that exist in Golarion).

I'd also appreciate it if everyone could write at least a little bit of background for their characters, and explain why they Hell they're even in Sandpoint write now. Information regarding the Campaign world can be found by exploring this website (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Golarion). Even just a small amount of additional characterization would help with actually making this Campaign work, where people don't constantly refuse to actually be Adventurers. Seriously, what do you expect the Sheriff to give you? He's coming to you as a last resort, because he thought he could trust you to catch a dangerous murderer. You people make up more than half the people in Sandpoint with PC levels, and you have significantly more combat experience than the rest - this isn't exactly a situation where they can do much for themselves, just like the Late Unpleasantness five years prior.

ForceFlex
2014-12-04, 08:37 PM
Okay, I'm just kind of lost I guess, haha. This is all new to me so I'm pretty confused.

R-Group
2014-12-04, 08:56 PM
No problem at all. Here's the gist of it, more will be explained later: ABrooks created a character that pretty much didn't fit it into the Campaign-world, since the character's worldview was mostly impossible (basing his values off philosophies and psychological sciences that don't exist). So, after discussing this with him via email, he's chosen to rewrite his guy into a concept that he prefers, or at least I believe he finds it more interesting.

So, in light of him changing his character to better fit the campaign-world, I think it would be beneficial to do the same with all the other characters too. So, I'll work with each person in turn to ensure that everybody has a complete backstory for their dudes that makes sense given the world the game takes place in.

Weathers, the other guy who's a part of this game, even though he hasn't come online yet, is playing the Human Evoker Wizard Dun. And since he hasn't signed up yet, I have no idea how he's going to play his character. If he never shows up, I'll just come up with something I guess...

Back to the adventure itself, last game you guys delved farther into the Thistletop dungeon and fought a Greater Barghest that was magically locked in a room, the door of which was covered in the seven-point sigil that you lot have since discovered was the symbol of the ancient Thassilonian Empire. This symbol matches the medallion that Nualia was wearing around her neck when you finally defeated her. Though Eli's old character was mauled, ABrooks and Weathers were able to finish off the beast and escape the now ruined dungeons. Everyone within them is dead, and the Goblin menace has ended.

That was about a week ago In-game, and now the Sheriff has come forward to seek your help with the murder investigation. And for the record, you all have permanent room sat the Rusty Dragon Inn, remember? You were given them after you saved the owner, Ameiko Kaijitsu, from being murdered by her half-brother Tsuto. Being Deputizes of the Watch, a position you all agreed to be, has two meanings. Firstly, you are technically under the employ of the Town Watch and therefore the Sheriff/Mayor (though you've only met her once before). However, as volunteer-deputies, there is no specific pay. Being Adventurers, you are always welcome to whatever loot you find in carrying out the Sheriff's missions. In this case, as the Sheriff said, there have now been two incidents where a murderer has struck. The Sheriff is involving you lot because he knows his own Watchmen are incapable of stopping the murders from happening. Five years ago, there was another violent murderer in Sandpoint known as Chopper. He killed a grand total of twenty-five townspeople, the last of which was the old Sheriff, who accidentally met as the Chopper was just mutilating his latest victim. The two fought, and the old Sheriff was able to wound Chopper in the struggle, though he was ultimately killed. The current Sheriff came running to help, and found the trail of Chopper's blood. He followed him and was nearly killed when the murderer ambushed him (that's when he lost his ear). Eventually, though, the Watch was able to track down Chopper in his lair (he turned out to be a supposedly kindly old sculptor named Jervis Stoot), where he had bleed out after plucking his own eyes and tongue.

The Sheriff, and all of you, know that the Watch completely failed to save the Town from Chopper's bloody spree five years ago. And now that Sheriff Hemlock has another murderer on his hands, he is afraid of trying to stop the murders himself. He lost an ear last time he tried to do that, and it might be even worse this time around. That's when the highly-trained, extra-violent, and not to mention Deputized Adventurers come in. Or, at least, they're supposed to.

ForceFlex
2014-12-04, 09:15 PM
Okay, thanks for the clarity. Breek was not a part of the first half of the campaign, so I missed out on a lot of what has happened, and I assumed that some things did not apply to him, or he wasn't informed of it yet.

R-Group
2014-12-04, 09:34 PM
I had thought we'd explained the Late Unpleasantness to you, but I guess not. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Trystero
2014-12-06, 03:47 PM
(Ymir's background as requested)

Ymir Whaifhuu is a Sandpoint lad through and through. He's been there for a decent part of the recent occurrences. Namely, he is a contemporary of Nualia and has lived through the Late Unpleasantness. In fact his profession of Celestial Sorcery was inspired by his admiration of her as a boy (in addition to whispers and rumors of divine blood in his own lineage), hoping originally that someday, his capacity in the subject would be an opportunity for them to connect. As he went further into the discipline though, he became enamored with it for it's own sake and as he went in that direction, Nualia began on her downward spiral.

At the inception of the Late Unpleasantness out of a sense of responsibility he began to investigate into the tragedy a great deal on his own and intensely concentrate on his abilities as a Sorcerer. He did both these things with intentions of aiding the town but fearing that his knowledge with too hampered and his skills too raw to be of any use. A sense of despair overcame him when that era was finished and he stuck to his father's trade of smithing. However, in light of the recent goblin attack, he decided that he could not forgive himself if he sat back again. Over the time where Lenin, Breek, Fox Shallop and Serenity Moonflower where about their adventure, Ymir fought leftover goblins, healed townsfolk, and did investigations of his own. Eventually he made his way to the places that the party of yore cleared, the catacombs, Thistletop, and the Stoot residence. What he could yet find in combination with his presence during the darker parts of Sandpoints recent past, led him to the bitter truth. Now feeling an amount of guilt over not having pulled Nualia away from that path as a child, he decides he will try to compensate for his failure by joining the party that has helped Sandpoint.

As soon as he hears of their return from Thistletop he approached them shortly after Serenity Moonflower's funeral.

Trystero
2014-12-09, 12:12 PM
Considering Ymir's sheet is complete and I have provided background can I introduce him after Breek and Mengele attempt to coax pay out of the sheriff?

R-Group
2014-12-09, 01:15 PM
I haven't gotten the chance to review your background yet, just in case there are any mistakes/floofs. I'll get to that in a day or so.

Trystero
2014-12-09, 04:06 PM
all righty then

R-Group
2014-12-09, 04:20 PM
Well, looking at the stuff now, there's a pretty big issue. It's fine that he knew Nualia in his youth, but she never had a "downward spiral" that any of the townspeople know. In fact, her life was unpleasant from the beginning, as the superstition of the other children and even their parents had them revering her more as a holy object than an actual person.

For example, the might steal cuts of her hair, or try and get her to touch them with the hopes that their ailments would be healed. She was constantly surrounded by awe, which was completely unwelcome. It didn't help that her surrogate father was a zealous preacher and though he was never cruel, there were certain expectations set on the young girl that she would eventually be the town's savior. She was only in her early twenties when she she disappeared, the common theory that she perished in the same fire that destroyed the old Chapel.

Ymir may have known Nualia, but he would only know her in passing. His guilt would likely originate through the fact that, five years after her supposed death, and now that he has seen her dead body in truth - he would remember her short life as amounting to nothing more than hatred. A hatred that was brought about by perhaps her misconceptions of how the townspeople treated her. Or maybe it was nothing more than her own warped mind that made her rotten from the beginning? Who can say...if you'd kept her alive then you might have learned something more about the forces at play here (although, you never did confirm her death either...)

Trystero
2014-12-10, 06:16 PM
Am currently making appropriate adjustments

ABrooks
2014-12-12, 01:09 PM
Considering basically all of the characters are being rewritten and retconned, should we just delete all of the posts after the initial one from the thread?

Trystero
2014-12-15, 07:26 PM
I for one think that is a capital idea for this thread at least

R-Group
2014-12-15, 08:54 PM
That would be proper yes, but I'm not sure if its feasible beyond simply editing away the text. But again, yes, we can do that. Right now, though, I won't be able to provide much DMing otherwise. As I imagine most of the rest of us are, I'm still slumming with Finals this week. We can continue in person this Sunday, once we're all back home, yes?

ForceFlex
2014-12-15, 11:26 PM
Sunday is no good for me, but early that week I'm available.

R-Group
2014-12-16, 11:53 AM
I imagine we can work something out.

Trystero
2014-12-16, 06:58 PM
I'm free as quadriplegic ***** until Christmas

Trystero
2014-12-16, 07:01 PM
giantitp why you censor de pussi b0ss?

Trystero
2015-02-03, 06:23 PM
So is this thread still a thing?

R-Group
2015-02-03, 06:37 PM
...Technically? We need to contact The Mighty Voss, though, if we want to continue this as it was.