PDA

View Full Version : Alignment POV's

Lord Raziere
2014-09-11, 09:22 PM
Hey so I was wondering how the alignments see themselves and each other, so I decided to type out how I think they'd all see the Alignments:

LG: The Best Way of Life Possible
NG: A Good friend
CG: A good friend, but they need to stop being so rebellious
LN: They see the letter and forget the spirit, sadly.
TN: They’re just trying to live their lives
CN: Why do they insist on acting out like this!?
LE: They pervert what should be helping people into selfish gain.
NE: They’re only out for themselves. Don’t trust them.
CE: Scum.

LG: Good friend, if a little rigid
NG: We should strive to all be kind and compassionate, no matter our philosophy
CG: Good friend, if somewhat foolish
LN: It is natural to cling to what is familiar and consistent, but it won’t help anybody if that is all you do.
CN: It is natural to desire freedom and independence, but do you have to be so stubborn about it?
LE: Cowards hiding behind rules and restrictions, but easily defeated once their carefully crafted plans fall apart
NE: The worst of them all. Be wary, they are the most flexible and the most dangerous
CE: foolish monsters who can’t think ahead, easily dispatched by using actual tactics.

LG: Good friend, but they need to stop being so uptight
NG: A good friend
CG: Everyone should be free to pursue their own way without fear of harm- I’m living the dream!
LN: Sad, just sad. Your not even conforming to something admirable, your just too afraid to take any risks and have forgotten that your a person to.
CN: A person after my own heart, sure you need work on helping others more but your a pretty cool guy nevertheless
LE: Tyrants like these are dangerous, they set everything up so that their evil is not only widespread, but also self-sustaining. get rid of them first, or they will become entrenched
CE: They take freedom too far. They turn it into oppression by forcing their own freedom upon others, and are just larvae tyrants waiting to happen. kill them first too.

LG: Ideals have no place in proper procedure
NG: You again, alright what do I have to change this time?
CG: Be wary of them the most. They are the most unpredictable and most likely to oppose you
LN: Everything must be in order. Everything.
TN: Just another citizen obeying the law, as it should be.
CN: Crazy idiots the lot of them, disrupting everything for their own whims, they take too many risks
LE: ….Umm….what they did is legal….I can’t do anything about it….
NE: Taking a bribe? But that would be bending the rules, I can’t do that.
CE: Stay away from me.

LG: Look, I get what your saying, but I’m just not all the devoted okay?
NG: Yes I know….be good….be compassionate….yaddah yaddah yaddah
CG: I understand you, but I’m just not the rebel type okay? I’m just not that brave
LN: C’mon, stop being a stick in the mud and live a little.
TN: I’m just a guy living my own life, I see nothing wrong with that.
CN: I don’t understand, why can’t you just be normal like everyone else?
LE: I’d rather listen to their preaching than deal with this guy any day.
CE: I will fight to defend my life and my home from you, monster

LG: Be careful around this guy, or you’ll earn a lecture
NG: So selfless. Admirable, but how can they be this way?
CG: Cool dude, he gets me, kind of passionate about helping others but no one’s perfect
LN: This guy wouldn’t know a good time if it bit him in the behind. Steer clear of him.
TN: Just a dude living his life. Not everyone can be as brave as me after all
CN: I do what I want, when I want, whenever I want. No rules but my own. Awesome!
LE: This guy however, he can die in a fire, the day he forces his rules on me is the day I die.
NE: He misses the point of freedom by using it to gain nothing but power instead of just enjoying life. Uncool.
CE: This guy is dangerous and willing to do absolutely anything to get what he wants. Get rid of him first.

LG: They are dangerous. They are both ordered and completely devoted to bringing you down. Be wary of them
NG: Idealists. manipulate them into sacrificing themselves and you win
CG: They will oppose you no matter what. Kill them before they kill you.
LN: A useful servant if you first cow them into accepting your rules
TN: With proper motivation, they make great disposable tools
CN: A wild card. don’t underestimate them.
LE: Only one smart as I could devise a system where I am the one that always wins
NE: Competent, but untrustworthy.
CE: They will demolish everything you have if your not careful, best to point them at an enemy and let them deal with them

LG: Fools so devoted to ideals and systems they can’t see how the world really is.
NG: I will never understand how they do this everyday. Why they do this everyday. Is it just a con?
CG: I understand the independence part, but then waste it on helping others
LN: The system itself is not all powerful.
TN: With proper motivation, they make great disposable tools
CN: He misses the point of freedom by using it to do nothing but pointless acts of self pleasure instead of moving up in the world and gaining true mastery and power.
LE: That is a nice system you set up there. What will you do when it falls apart?
NE: I exploit the system when I can, do what I want outside of it when I need to, always to me benefit, I am clearly the smartest person of all
CE: You idiot, don’t you see you could benefit from the system by just abusing it instead opposing it for no reason? Wait….forget I said that.

LG: How do you exist? Are you sheltered or something?
NG: Are you going to spout nonsense about rainbows and ponies next?
CG: You got the right idea, but you don’t go far enough.
LN: I have no time for idiots like you, out of my way
TN: Fools, so focused on their stupid little lives. They need to be woken up.
CN: Now this guy is smart. kinda lacking in the guts to follow through and really get things done though.
LE: The greatest threat to my existence. They and their stupid rules need to burn.
NE: This says he is on my side, but I’m pretty sure he will sell me out to the man. I’ll kill him at the first opportunity I get.
CE: I do what I want, when I want, to whomever I want and no one can stop me, I’m top dog around here, you either accept that or I kill you.

what does everyone think? Accurate? Inaccurate?

hamishspence
2014-09-12, 05:05 AM
Pretty good.

Easydamus manages to reduce "how the alignments are seen" to two word descriptions:

http://easydamus.com/alignment.html

LG:
LG: Honorable and Humane
NG: Humane but Unreliable
CG: Humane but Dishonorable
LN: Honorable but Apathetic
N: Unreliable and Apathetic
CN: Dishonorable and Apathetic
LE: Honorable but Ruthless
NE: Unreliable and Ruthless
CE: Dishonorable and Ruthless
NG:
LG: Humane but Strict
NG: Practical and Humane
CG: Humane but Lax
LN: Strict and Apathetic
N: Practical but Apathetic
CN: Lax and Apathetic
LE: Strict and Ruthless
NE: Practical but Ruthless
CE: Lax and Ruthless
CG:
LG: Humane but Dogmatic
NG: Humane but Conformist
CG: Independent and Humane
LN: Dogmatic and Apathetic
N: Conformist and Apathetic
CN: Independent but Apathetic
LE: Dogmatic and Ruthless
NE: Conformist and Ruthless
CE: Independent but Ruthless
LN:
LG: Honorable but Idealistic
NG: Unreliable and Idealistic
CG: Dishonorable and Idealistic
LN: Honorable and Realistic
N: Realistic but Unreliable
CN: Realistic but Dishonorable
LE: Honorable but Egoistic
NE: Unreliable and Egoistic
CE: Dishonorable and Egoistic
N:
LG: Strict and Idealistic
NG: Practical but Idealistic
CG: Lax and Idealistic
LN: Realistic but Strict
N: Practical and Realistic
CN: Realistic but Lax
LE: Strict and Egoistic
NE: Practical but Egoistic
CE: Lax and Egoistic
CN:
LG: Dogmatic and Idealistic
NG: Conformist and Idealistic
CG: Independent but Idealistic
LN: Realistic but Dogmatic
N: Realistic but Conformist
CN: Independent and Realistic
LE: Dogmatic and Egoistic
NE: Conformist and Egoistic
CE: Independent but Egoistic
LE
LG: Honorable but Self-Righteous
NG: Unreliable and Self-Righteous
CG: Dishonorable and Self-Righteous
LN: Honorable but Irresolute
N: Unreliable and Irresolute
CN: Dishonorable and Irresolute
LE: Honorable and Determined
NE: Determined but Unreliable
CE: Determined but Dishonorable
NE
LG: Strict and Self-Righteous
NG: Practical but Self-Righteous
CG: Lax and Self-Righteous
LN: Strict and Irresolute
N: Practical but Irresolute
CN: Lax and Irresolute
LE: Determined but Strict
NE: Practical and Determined
CE: Determined but Lax
CE:
LG: Dogmatic and Self-Righteous
NG: Conformist and Self-Righteous
CG: Independent but Self-Righteous
LN: Dogmatic and Irresolute
N: Conformist and Irresolute
CN: Independent but Irresolute
LE: Determined but Dogmatic
NE: Determined but Conformist
CE: Independent and Determined

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-09-12, 07:00 AM
If you think of your character (or any character) in terms of alignment then that's all they're ever going to be.
Stop playing with alignments and watch how your game and your roleplaying instantly improves.

Mastikator
2014-09-12, 09:46 AM
LG, LN & LE would view CG, CN, CE as dishonorable and messy.
CE would probably view CN and CG as ridiculous with their compassion, not lacking in bravery and see it as a weakness.

CG would view LG and especially LN as dogmatic, and LE as the worst thing imaginable.

Ettina
2014-09-12, 12:34 PM
I don't think you can generalize like this. Just because two characters have the same alignment doesn't mean they're all that similar.

For example, my character Snowball is probably Chaotic Evil. But her reactions to others are mostly unrelated to their alignment. If they're nice to her, she likes them, and if they're nice to her for an extended period she'll slowly come to genuinely care about them. If they don't affect her in any way, she doesn't care. If they hurt her or her loved ones, she'll hunt them down and give them unrelenting torment. Any alignment could elicit any one of those reactions, depending on how they specifically react to her.

Szsthrar'kek is also Chaotic Evil, but his reactions to characters is very different from Snowball. Szsthrar'kek wants power - he wants to be the power behind a mind-controlled figurehead, ruling a city full of slaves he can do whatever he likes to. Snowball, meanwhile, couldn't care less about power - she just wants her comfortable life, relaxing with her favourite people. Conversely, Szsthrar'kek doesn't care about revenge - if you hurt him in the past, he'll mostly try not to run into you again, and only attack you if he can't readily avoid you. Snowball is very much motivated by revenge, to the point where she'd probably sacrifice her own life just to make sure her enemies pay.

Szsthrar'kek would evaluate everyone as 'can I use them?', 'can I kill them?' and 'are they a threat to me?' If he can use them, he will, and he could, under the right circumstances, use someone of any alignment pretty much indiscriminately. If he has no use for them and can easily kill them, he'll probably kill them - again regardless of alignment. And since he's a potential threat to pretty much everyone, he could end up being threatened by any alignment, and he'd react by fleeing or destroying them based on a purely practical analysis of his chances.

So, just because one character is Chaotic Evil and another is Lawful Good doesn't mean you can automatically predict their attitudes towards each other. They may fight, they may be reluctant allies, one may end up using the other, or they may become fierce friends who find ways to resolve the tension of their opposing worldviews. It all comes down to the character, not their alignment.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-12, 10:11 PM
If you think of your character (or any character) in terms of alignment then that's all they're ever going to be.
Stop playing with alignments and watch how your game and your roleplaying instantly improves.

Holy strawmen, Batelf! It is indeed possible to think of a character as being a given alignment without thinking of them as only an alignment.

That said, I think Lord Raziere is falling into the common trap of thinking that Law refers to legal instruments. It doesn't; it refers to following an internal code. A LN Monk doesn't have to tolerate a LE Blackguard's reign anymore than the LG Paladin does.