PDA

View Full Version : What is Durkula's Real Accent?

CletusMusashi
2014-09-11, 11:59 PM
All we really know is that it isn't sterotypical Scottish.
He fakes that one to impersonate Durkon.
But he prefers to speak without it. So... what does he actually talk like?
The main possibilities that occur to me are:

1. No particular accent. To me, being an American, most characters in the ootsworld sound like typical American actors, with most of them having no strong regional influences.
Other readers elsewhere will have their own default.

2. Upper class English, simply because they make such good cartoon villains.

3. Scandinavian, because the Northern Gods themselves do not seem to have the same accent as the dwarves. Sure, they might sound American. Or British. But Scandinavian would certainly not be out of character, and I could easily see a soul created by Hel having the same accent. I don't see much chance of confirming this hypothesis, though, unless he suddenly starts singing unintelligibly and then yells "Bork bork bork!" Which would really get Belkar mad, the undead abomination also turning out to be a chef...

4. Hungarian. What most of us think of when you say "Transylvania" is actually the voice of Hungarian Bela Lugosi. You know, the Dracula accent. Part of me kind of loves the idea that maybe, just maybe, The Giant is actually writing him with that in mind. But it seems improbable. For one thing, has he once mixed up his V's and W's? And for another, if you're still using that accent in 2014, an occasional "Blah! Blah!" is, while not actually mandatory, still such a tempting crowd pleaser that its prolonged absence seems best explained by its not actually being applicable in the first place.

Is his voice taking form for anybody yet? How do you "hear" it?

ti'esar
2014-09-12, 01:03 AM
It was actually recently suggested in the discussion thread that the reason the HPOH doesn't speak with an accent in Durkon's mind is just to avoid reader confusion, and not an indicator of how the spirit "actually" sounds. Though I'm inclined to disagree, as I do think the way he's seemingly dropped the accent in moments of stress is meant to be significant.

Synesthesy
2014-09-12, 03:03 AM
Just to say, there are in oots any other people other then dwarves speaking with an explicit accent?
I've never noticed...

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-09-12, 04:56 AM
I think something like #1. He has no particular regional accent to make it easier for him to communicate with others, since having an accent can prevent that. It just so happens that in this case it is necessary for him to impersonate someone with an accent.

Keltest
2014-09-12, 06:46 AM
It was actually recently suggested in the discussion thread that the reason the HPOH doesn't speak with an accent in Durkon's mind is just to avoid reader confusion, and not an indicator of how the spirit "actually" sounds. Though I'm inclined to disagree, as I do think the way he's seemingly dropped the accent in moments of stress is meant to be significant.

He specifically pointed out that his default way of speaking is different from Durkon's, so whether its for the reader's convenience or a setup for a plot device he does have a non-dwarven accent.

Vinyadan
2014-09-12, 07:30 AM
It's a very good question. Dorkula is an amazing actor, as he can copy Durkon's accent almost effortlessly. That's probably part of the "standard vampire spirit" package. After all, he's wise, he's intelligent, and he's got a boost to charisma, so no wonder he's able to pull it off. I wonder if he also has points in "perform".

As for his original accent, I have no idea. It mostly depends on how accents are learnt in the spirit world. If spirits have a time of infancy and learning, there could be different accents in Hel's domain, transmitted on a class- and profession-based system. There could even be a reverse influx of the Dwarven accent, if the dishonoured are supposed to be the last wheel of the cart and people don't want to have any social connection with them. It could be that people tend towards Hel's accent, if they are permitted to do so, or that of her giant guards, if they have an honoured social standing.
If there is no learning period and spirits are born with the innate ability to speak, they talk as Hel wanted them to talk; if she didn't really care about the matter, she likely gave them an inflexion similar to hers.

As for how the bodily Dorkula speaks, I imagine him to speak with a very, very dry throat, and with an unrecognisable, angry-sounding accent.

Reathin
2014-09-20, 11:24 AM
Well, normally a person's accent is determined by the culture they were raised in. Durkoff was, I think, created whole-cloth at the time of Durkon's vampirization (maybe Hel had to rush it, even, since she didn't get the traditional 3 days time for him to rise). He doesn't have a period of being raised. As such, I propose he speaks in a manner similar to other highly abstract entities that were fashioned with minds fully formed. To the average individual, these entities have "no" accent. They speak without the adjusted inflections and tones that we use; not quite a monotone, but with an odd precision and a rhythm that comes off as "bland" rather than robotic).

So, basically, my theory is he doesn't sound quite right (being composed of negative energy notwithstanding). It's hard to pinpoint, but that's because it's normally impossible. People raised in any sort of culture will develop that accent, but due to the unnaturally rapid formative period of the High Priest, he legitimately doesn't seem to have one.

Kish
2014-09-20, 12:51 PM
Another question: Do Durkula, Dorkula, and Durkoff speak with the same accent as each other?

(If I'm the person ti'esar is speaking of, I've been misunderstood. It is my speculation that Rich's primary reason for giving the High Priest of Hel an American accent was so that the reader would be clear which of the phantoms in these one-Durkon-shape-talks-to-other-Durkon-shape scenes is Durkon and which is the possessing spirit. Not that the High Priest of Hel does not actually have an American accent or does not actually consider Durkon's accent ridiculous.)

Keltest
2014-09-20, 02:31 PM
Another question: Do Durkula, Dorkula, and Durkoff speak with the same accent as each other?

(If I'm the person ti'esar is speaking of, I've been misunderstood. It is my speculation that Rich's primary reason for giving the High Priest of Hel an American accent was so that the reader would be clear which of the phantoms in these one-Durkon-shape-talks-to-other-Durkon-shape scenes is Durkon and which is the possessing spirit. Not that the High Priest of Hel does not actually have an American accent or does not actually consider Durkon's accent ridiculous.)

It may just be me, but I had no problems figuring out which one was the "real" Durkon based on the way that he was "physically" restrained, and had been portrayed that way since before the appearance of the spirit of the vampire was first shown inside his head.

orrion
2014-09-21, 01:10 AM
It may just be me, but I had no problems figuring out which one was the "real" Durkon based on the way that he was "physically" restrained, and had been portrayed that way since before the appearance of the spirit of the vampire was first shown inside his head.

Never hurts to have more reinforcement. Readers miss obvious information and/or wildly misinterpret scenes all the time.

Vinyadan
2014-09-21, 12:31 PM

It's also useful for showing that it isn't Durkon's dark side which took him over, but a completely alien entity.

Jay R
2014-09-22, 06:55 AM
What is Durkula's real what, now (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0305.html)?

Psyren
2014-10-01, 11:39 AM
I always picture him as sounding something like Grimgnaw from Neverwinter Nights - that evil dwarven monk who worships Shar.

Reathin
2014-10-01, 08:10 PM
I always picture him as sounding something like Grimgnaw from Neverwinter Nights - that evil dwarven monk who worships Shar.

Actually, he worshiped the Silent Lord, the manifestation of Death itself. Not a god of death (he's specific about that), the Reaper proper. I think he takes some mild offense at the idea that Death bows to anyone, deity or otherwise.

Psyren
2014-10-02, 09:21 AM
Actually, he worshiped the Silent Lord, the manifestation of Death itself. Not a god of death (he's specific about that), the Reaper proper. I think he takes some mild offense at the idea that Death bows to anyone, deity or otherwise.

My bad - I always assumed he was Dark Moon because that's the robe I remember him having in his inventory.

Jay R
2014-10-02, 07:54 PM
Just to say, there are in oots any other people other then dwarves speaking with an explicit accent?
I've never noticed...

:thog:: thog speak in thog's special orc voice.

Psyren
2014-10-03, 02:33 PM
Also Enriqué. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0495.html)

Gift Jeraff
2014-10-03, 02:48 PM
He has an undead accent, just like how Qarr has an Infernal accent.

ti'esar
2014-10-03, 05:58 PM
That's not an accent, that's just Ominous Reverb.

Gnome Alone
2014-10-03, 10:51 PM
I imagine a deeply sonorous, smooth voice like a radio announcer.

Jay R
2014-10-04, 08:56 AM
An accent is speech patterns ingrained in you by years of growing up in a specific location where people talk like that. Somebody who never heard people speak until a week or two ago has no accent.

brian 333
2014-10-04, 11:35 AM
I think his accent is white inside a black speech bubble. This would be the accent of undead, if I am not mistaken, sprinkled with a dash of evil.

Vinyadan
2014-10-04, 12:36 PM
An accent is speech patterns ingrained in you by years of growing up in a specific location where people talk like that. Somebody who never heard people speak until a week or two ago has no accent.

Maybe there is a similar case: deaf people learning how to speak. They don't actually hear the voices. Do they have an accent?

Jay R
2014-10-05, 02:38 PM
Maybe there is a similar case: deaf people learning how to speak. They don't actually hear the voices. Do they have an accent?

It's an interesting question, but I'm not sure it applies. While they have already learned the written language, they will still learn the sounds by listening to their teachers and friends. By contrast, the HPoH already knew the entire language magically. If he has an accent, it would probably be the same as Hel's.