PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monk of the Dark Tapestry

Xuldarinar
2014-09-12, 07:01 AM
To most classes, there are clear ties to be drawn should they choose to worship an Outer God or Great Old One, and these are even outlined in Wake of the Watcher (Not something everyone has, but bare with me.) The monk class, however, is one that remains unmentioned in this, to my knowledge at least. And so, I ask the playground this;

If a monk were to follow an Outer God or Great Old One, which one do you think would they follow and why? How might they differ from standard monks in abilities (what feats and archetypes would they be prone to taking)?

I considered posing this exact question for paladins but... no. Anti-paladin is simple enough, but champions of law and good? No.

grarrrg
2014-09-12, 07:05 AM
If a monk were to follow an Outer God or Great Old One, which one do you think would they follow and why? How might they differ from standard monks in abilities (what feats and archetypes would they be prone to taking)?

Considering most of those skew VERY Chaotic, I'd have to say Martial Artist for the "any alignment" Monk. :smalltongue:

Xuldarinar
2014-09-12, 08:11 AM
Considering most of those skew VERY Chaotic, I'd have to say Martial Artist for the "any alignment" Monk. :smalltongue:

Thats great, it certainly opens up a lot of options here, though it does close a lot of doors regarding archetypes. Are there any monk archetypes that can be used with martial artist? Im inclined to say no but I could be wrong.

Psyren
2014-09-12, 08:20 AM
Thats great, it certainly opens up a lot of options here, though it does close a lot of doors regarding archetypes. Are there any monk archetypes that can be used with martial artist? Im inclined to say no but I could be wrong.

Archetype Combos Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229326-PF-Archetype-Combos-Doing-all-the-work-b-c-reading-charts-is-bloody-annoying&p=12555815#post12555815)

Legally, you can combine it with Qinggong and Sensei. However, it gets absolutely no benefit from the former and very little from the latter, due to giving up ki-related stuff.

It seems to me that, at least thematically, Hungry Ghost is great fit for Dark Tapestry given their tendency towards entropy. No idea if the fit works alignment-wise though.

Xuldarinar
2014-09-12, 08:54 AM
Archetype Combos Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229326-PF-Archetype-Combos-Doing-all-the-work-b-c-reading-charts-is-bloody-annoying&p=12555815#post12555815)

Legally, you can combine it with Qinggong and Sensei. However, it gets absolutely no benefit from the former and very little from the latter, due to giving up ki-related stuff.

It seems to me that, at least thematically, Hungry Ghost is great fit for Dark Tapestry given their tendency towards entropy. No idea if the fit works alignment-wise though.

Thank you. That guide is very handy, though I do wish it extended into third party.. Oh well.

Anyways, Hungry ghost would be great. That would leave Xhamen-Dor as their patron, for a few reasons: Neutral Evil, so it at least follows the one step rule, and it's domains are Death (Murder, Undead), Evil, Plant (Decay), and Trickery (Deception).

Although in some ways it can be said to be a cop out: There is also bound to be a form of Nyarlathotep that may be appealing to some monks.

Psyren
2014-09-12, 09:18 AM
Thank you. That guide is very handy, though I do wish it extended into third party.. Oh well.

If there's a specific 3rd-party archetype you're interested in I'm sure someone could do the legwork on that fairly easily.

Xuldarinar
2014-09-12, 09:38 AM
If there's a specific 3rd-party archetype you're interested in I'm sure someone could do the legwork on that fairly easily.

True.

I've found another option by the way: Sacred Fist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest/archetypes/paizo---warpriest-archetypes/sacred-fist) Warpriest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest).

Psyren
2014-09-12, 09:47 AM
Yeah, that's a fun one. Gives you a nice alternative to Qinggong for a castermonk.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-09-12, 03:10 PM
I was actually going to suggest Sacred Fist Warpriest for your build, possibly dipping a few monk levels.