PDA

View Full Version : Noobs guide to Faerun and the Forgotten Realms?

Socko525
2014-09-12, 10:39 AM
So my friends and I are about to start a campaign, running HotDQ. While I have a basic understanding of Faerun, my friends (the DM included) are more familiar with Greyhawke.

Obviously the DM will be getting information from the HotDQ book itself, but I was wondering...is there a quitessential book/document out there to introduce you to Faerun, it's lands, lore, etc? Would it be worth telling them to play through games like Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale? (or is that too far in the past history wise/not relevant?)

Since we're running the HotDQ and plan to continue with Rise of Tiamat when it comes out, lore and history relevant to that would be most helpful.

The party is comprised of two half-elves, a human, a dragonborn and a tiefling. I know that "The Sundering" happened and that it could influence/assist the dragonborn/tiefling backgrounds, but again I'm working on limited knowledge here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (we're not playing until October, so we've got time to read/brush up on this)

EvilAnagram
2014-09-12, 11:06 AM
Have fun! (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

I would start off by reading about the major gods, the elves, the dwarves, Baldur's Gate, and Neverwinter. Not sure where HotDQ takes place, but those are the biggies.

FadeAssassin
2014-09-12, 11:20 AM
I starts not to Far for Amn in the South, but I think it travels a bit.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-12, 11:32 AM
If it helps any the year it takes place in is apparently 1489 DR.

I don't know what that all that entails but if you skim through the wiki it'll probably start to clear up a little bit. I think it's post sundering at least. (There was a time when there were no Dragonborn on Faerun ect)

Edit: Source (http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-adventurers-league/threads/4117861) Skerrit is a community manager or something like that "While designing the adventures for the DnDAL, we asked WOTC "When do you want this campaign to start?" and they told us it is 1489. As for why did they choose that date, I do not know the answer."

The thread also has a couple of posts discussing past past events as far as organized play and stuff like that and books. So it may be good reading to get some bearings and find some things to look at specifically in the wiki.

Socko525
2014-09-12, 12:11 PM
This is great information, thank you all!

Falka
2014-09-12, 01:49 PM
I wholeheartly (is it spelled this way) recommend you to read "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast". AD&D material is veeeeeery good, fluff-wise.