Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-10, 05:25 PM
Templar
Alignment: must be lawful
Bab: full
Saves: fort & will good, ref bad
HD: d10
Skill points: 2/level
Class skills: Knowledge(religion), Knowledge(nobility), ride, handle animal, concentrate, intimidate and diplomacy.
Proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, all armor and shields (except tower)

Spellcasting: a templar casts prepared, wisdom-based divine spells. They can cast a number of spells per day equal to a bard +1 domain spell/level. Templars use a smaller version of the cleric spell list and can cast 7 spells as a level lower than a normal cleric*.

Smite: a templar can use a smite as the paladin smite evil, but is not limited to evil targets. The templar can smite any creature that he percieves as an enemy of his temple. The target must have an int score of 3+ and too liberal use of this ability can lead to excommunication. A templar begins play with 1 smite/day and gains 1 extra use every 5 templar levels.

Temple's sign: a templar can cast minor image a number of times a day as a spell-like ability to create the symbol of his temple somewhere in the air above him.

Detect marked: a templar always detects a person marked as a criminal or enemy by his temple as such.

Mark criminal: you can mark a person for other templars of your temple to detect. Doing so requires you to touch the target. Doing this without the autorization of your temple is on of the shortest ways to excommunication.

Written mark: you can expand one of your mark uses to scribe any number of identicall scrolls with the permission to mark a specific individual. Any templar of your order can use such a scroll to mark an individual.

Domain: a templar has 1 domain of his deity or the law domain.

Bonus feat: at second level, the templar gains mounted combat as a bonus feat.

1 Domain, smite 1/day, mounted combat
2 temple's sign 1/day
3 Detect marked
5 smite 2/day
6 Courtly Knowledge (+2 know(nobility))
7 temple's sign 2/day
9 Divine knowledge (+2 know(religion))
10 smite 3/day
11 temple's sign 3/day
13 Mark criminal 1/week
15 smite 4/day, temple's sign 4/day
17 Mark criminal 2/week
19 temple's sign 5/day
20 smite 5/day, written mark
Excommunicate: a templar must be a member of the temple of his deity. The leader of this temple can excommunicate any templar. An excommunicated templar becomes an ex-templar and loses all spellcasting, domain and smite abilities. A templar who becomes non-lawful cannot take new levels in the templar class, but loses no class-abilities. Chances are high, however, that a non-lawful templar will be excommunicated sooner or later.

The templar's are the sons of noble's send to the temples. They cannot become priests, ofcourse, since they were not born in the priest-caste. Templars instead become the more martial part of the temple. They follow as much of their education together with the priests, but focus more on martial training.

Spells not on list:
1 - Protection from law, sanctuary, scholar's touch, lantern light, nimbus of light, curse water, deathwatch, bless water, eye of the Avoral not on list
2 - Undetectable alignment, delay poison, ease pain, estanna's stew, remove addiction, augury, divine insight, find traps, healing lorecall, status, enthrall, lastai's caress, consecrate, darkness, desecrate, shatter, sound burst, silence, gentle repose, eagle's splendor not on list
3 - glyph of warding, magic circle against law, obscure object, create food and water, chain of eyes, locate object, daylight, deeper darkness, invisibility purge, irian;s light, searing light, animate dead, contagion, plague carrier, speak with dead, amanuensis, blindsight, briar web, energize potion, meld into stone, stone shape, water breathing, water walk not on list
4 - Dimensional Anchor, dismissal, night's mantle, repel vermin, wall of chaos, weather eye, planar ally, lesser, recitation, restoration, wall of sand, divination, greater status, tongues, castigate, energy vortex, imbue with spell ability, stars of arvandor, doomtide, air walk, beast claws, control weather, giant vermin, sustain not on list
5 - atonement, dispel law, telepathy block, energetic healing, insect plague, plane shift, raise dead, wall of stone, scrying, blistering radiance, dancing web, dragon breath, flame strike, hallow, unhallow, mass contagion, slay living, convert wand, divine agility, subvert planar essence not on list
6 - antilife shell, banishment, greater glyph of warding, call faithfull servants, cometfall, hero's feast, planar ally, word of recall, symbol of persuasion, secure corpse, symbol of fear, animate objects, mass eagle's splendor, mass owl's wisdom, stone body, wind walk not on list.

Spells cast in a spell slot 1 lower than normal clerics: Bladebane, discern lies, weapon of the deity, mark of justice, visage of deity, dictum and righteous wrath of the faitfull can be cast 1 level lower

Stick_Ninja
2007-03-10, 06:53 PM
Hmmm...looks good to me...but the spells are a little confusing and there don't seem to be any other abilities. Shouldn't there be more incentive for being the class?

Also, wouldn't the Will save progeression be at least moderate if not good? Spending all that time with priests is bound to instill some things in one's mind.

Icewalker
2007-03-10, 10:20 PM
I dunno, actually looks a little bit weak. I say give them some more physical fluff, some special combat abilities. I like the idea, very cool.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-11, 06:43 AM
Thanks. I thought it would be a little bit too strong. Would giving them the iron will feat somewhere, full bab and fighter bonus feats at lvl 7 and 14 unbalance them? Or am I overdoing it now?

Icewalker
2007-03-12, 01:25 AM
I dunno, that might push it over. I suggest full BAB, and some fluff. Some abilities that make it seem a bit cooler, not really powerful, but useful sometimes. some flavor, you know?
(I think that's what fluff means. That's how I've been using it)

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-12, 04:20 AM
Hmm, like a +2 on know(nobility) and know(religion) somewhere, the ability to use minor image->some sort of symbol of their temple a number of times/day and a 'detect criminal' function, where the temple the templar serves marks specific persons as criminals and they can see that mark and hunt them down? (more fun for NPC-templars and plot-hooks, but hey, that means if the players seriously piss of a temple, every templar of that temple they come across will recognize them as Unfriendlies)

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-12, 03:04 PM
can I use it in my campigan?

Icewalker
2007-03-12, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that sounds good Maglor. That'd do for fluff, so I think that'd leave you with a great class.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-12, 03:41 PM
can I use it in my campigan?
I'd be honoured. :smallbiggrin: Updated first post.

EvilElitest
2007-03-12, 07:52 PM
You need more fluff to make them different from Paladins. As it is, you could just call it a varient paladin. A bit more detail on the cast system in your world?
from,
EE