PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Good spells for a Warpriest to use with Fervor?

deuxhero
2014-09-12, 04:47 PM
Not much strikes out at me beyond Divine Favor and Divine Power.

Plenty of spells would SEEM good, but can't be used because they actually target your weapon and not you.

Paul H
2014-09-12, 06:07 PM
Hi

Don't forget you can cast spells that don't have 'You' or 'Personal' as a target. You can cast any spell, but it will only effect you. Eg, Circle Protection from Evil will only effect you (though for longer duration that straight PFE)

1) Liberating Command, CLW (all cure spells will be better than Fervor's lay on Hands ability), Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Obscuring Mist (for running away), Protection from..
2) Any Stat Buff, Aid, Delay Poison, Grace, Instant Armour, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy, Shield of Faith

Those are just some examples.

Hope that helped :)

Thanks
Paul H

deuxhero
2014-09-12, 06:28 PM
I thought it could be used on spells that could be targeted on others like Bull's Strength or Blessing of Fervor but only let you select yourself as a target (and I'm fairly sure it was how it was intended) and just didn't see anything useful besides those two. I think by RAW you are right and you could drop (for whatever reason) a Sound Burst on yourself and not have it effect anyone else (no idea WHY, but you could).

Either way weapon targeting spells are unusable though.

Paul H
2014-09-12, 06:43 PM
Hi

Yeah - Magic Wpn as std action, followed by PFE as quickened.

Worse Case scenario, is Rage Prophet/Warpriest halfling. Follower of Iomedae.

With right Traits etc, it's a nasty combo.
Rnd 1) Blessing of Good, PFE (Quickened)
Rnd 2) Rage - Chaaaaaarge!

[Longsword from Trait: Adds +1 dam as long as light spell cast upon it)

Thanks
Paul H

grarrrg
2014-09-12, 08:38 PM
CLW (all cure spells will be better than Fervor's lay on Hands ability)

Not necessarily.

First off, using Fervor to heal costs you 1-Fervor.
Using Fervor to Quicken a spell costs you 1-Fervor and a Spell Slot.

I will grant you that at any given time your highest level Cure Spell will be better than your Fervor healing.
But do you really want to be burning your highest level spell slot on a Cure Spell?
In severe emergencies maybe "Down to 1-hp, oh crap" type stuff.

But most of the time Fervor will be just as useful, and save you a spell slot for later.

Kudaku
2014-09-12, 08:47 PM
Then again, if you don't actually need the healing you might be better off saving your fervor and spending the swift action on something else and heal after the fight - preferably with a wand.

deuxhero
2014-09-14, 12:27 PM
Doing a quick check of the cleric list says Airwalk and Angelic Aspect are mobility options. Savage Maw is OK if you will be full attacking,

If you can somehow get a swim speed (racial, some spell/item or even familiar+improved familiar and get a Tidepool Dragon to cast Slipstream on you), Sky Swim is pretty good way to get flight from the cleric list

TandemChelipeds
2014-09-14, 01:15 PM
Sanctuary? Then you can move and cast Bless in the same turn. I can see that being useful at lower levels.

deuxhero
2014-09-14, 01:19 PM
Front liners have a hard enough time getting thing TO attack them over their allies. Why would you want to stop them from targeting you and ONLY go after your allies?