PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help Me Fix My Oracle

ThisIsZen
2014-09-12, 06:21 PM
I'm playing Kingmaker, and we're just getting into book 2 as of this moment. When I first made this character I knew sort-of some details about optimization but on the whole I was either ignorant or uninformed, so there are a lot of glaring weaknesses in the build that I want to patch up with retraining in the next few sessions. A bit of backstory as to why I'm not just gonna improve on this sub-par base instead:

Last session, a combination of random events and scripted events in the module happening simultaneously led to my (extremely family focused) character's family dying to, essentially, an impossible-to-save-against poison. (They were level 1 NPC class characters, the poison was Fort DC 20, 2 saves required, 2 str per turn.) While the scene IC was fantastic, there were a few things that just... irritated me about how it went down. Namely, they died to Str damage, even though I brought it up with the GM that Str damage can't kill a character by RAW. (It was a 'special case' this one time.) Considering I included family and made them an integral part of my character's actions at least partially in the belief that I WOULDN'T end up a widower with a dead daughter, I'm taking this as an OOC and IC gauntlet throwing. If the world isn't going to pull punches then there's no real reason for me to.

So the character in question is an LE (Lame) Oracle of the Dark Tapestry, who I intend to focus around battlefield control and just generally controlling those around me. Skill-wise, he's very heavily diplomancy focused - high Sense Motive, all three of Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy maxed, with the Ambitious trait. (A house-rule we're using is that Skill Focus adds skills to your class list, hence why I have enormous Bluff.)

Stats: 10 Str, 11 Dex, 12 Con, 17 Int, 15 Wis, 20 Cha (this is partially due to Middle-aged bonuses/penalties)

Oracle 1 - Skill Focus (Bluff) / Eschew Materials / Inflict line / Cloak of Darkness Revelation
Oracle 2 -
Oracle 3 - Abundant Revelation (Interstellar Void) / Interstellar Void
Oracle 4 - +Cha
Oracle 5 - Skill Focus (Perception)

Bleed, Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Purify Food & Drink, Read Magic, Resistance

Forbid Action, Doom, Inflict Minor Wounds, Entropic Shield (Mystery Spell), Murderous Command

Dust of Twilight (Mystery Spell), Inflict Moderate Wounds, Silence, Hold Person

My GM has been a bit stingy on the magic item side so far so getting gear, scrolls etc. has not been exactly easy, so I'm trying to keep my spell selection as wide as possible while still focused on control. However, I'm aware that certain choices I've made, especially in the feats and revelations areas, are extremely poor. I know what I need to retrain, largely - the two Skill Focus investments are going to stay both for fluff reasons and because of the houserule. I'll be switching out Eschew Materials, and both the Interstellar Void and the Abundant Revelation feat attached to it.

I'm hoping I can argue for just paying the gp cost largely because the time investment IC would be irritating, but I can stagger these retraining sessions if he won't bend on that. I just know I need to drop that dead weight.

I'm also hoping for some suggestions on what to build going forward. My character's current long-term goal that ISN'T getting his daughter and wife back is the absolute eradication of the assassins responsible, who look to be Red Mantis, so that's one of the things I intend to be able to do when all's said and done.