PDA

View Full Version : Let the bodies hit the floor...

Maspy
2014-09-12, 06:32 PM
How do you handle the piles of bodies that stack up during combat? I don't recall seeing specific rules covering this.

Our party was fighting 12 giants. They're big enough to stand in 3 hexes, but as we killed them, the DM just removed the miniature and kept going. I can never remember dealing with this issue, everyone just kind of ignored the fact that the dead take up space.

I fight melee battles in the SCA and the 'dead' do create movement hazards and obstacles that can be used to funnel the enemy. Are there any firm rules that handle this? When I brought this up at our last game, the DM and e other plates just sloughed it off.

nedz
2014-09-12, 06:56 PM
I normally knock the figures over and leave them there — after all they might get up again.
If the scene becomes too crowded though, then I remove them.

There are no rules for corpses being terrain.

Oneris
2014-09-12, 07:03 PM
My DM flipped a coin for what direction the corpse ragdolled in and treated an appropriate number of squares of area as difficult terrain. Bodies larger than medium provide soft cover. Only down side was that battles eventually consisted of traversing mazes of corpses.

Divide by Zero
2014-09-12, 07:05 PM
If you really want to houserule it, just make any square(s) a creature is in when they die count as difficult terrain.

Greenish
2014-09-12, 07:13 PM
My DM flipped a coin for what direction the corpse ragdolled in and treated an appropriate number of squares of area as difficult terrain. Bodies larger than medium provide soft cover. Only down side was that battles eventually consisted of traversing mazes of corpses.Higher ground provides a bonus to attack. Using a pile of slain enemies as higher ground gets you style points.

Callin
2014-09-12, 07:23 PM
Aint that the truth. I died rushing the shield wall at Gulf Wars many years ago. My friend then tripped over my corpse and landed on me. Bodies do muck up terrain but I dont feel the DnD should simulate something like that except for certain instances.