PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcane Duelist for Rise of the Runelords (Urgent Help needed)

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-12, 07:32 PM
My DM vetoed my Steelfist Commando character since he isn't familiar enough with PoW and he doesn't want to introduce too much stuff because we have two fairly new players, and asked me if I could make a character using the CRB and the APG, which is a shame because I feel it undermines one of PF (and 3.5 for that matter) biggest strengths, but that is neither here nor there.

In the end I decided to go with an Arcane Duelist Bard, which at first glance seems like the best option for a gishy character from level 1, plus I've never played a Bard so it seems like a neat option.

Here it is

Half-Elf Arcane Duelist Bard 1

Stats (25 point buy)
Str 16 (+2 from Half elf, originally 14)
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 16

Traits: Outsider: Lore Seeker
Warrior of Old: +2 initiative

Feats:
(HE)EWP: Elven Curve Blade
(L1) Lingering Performance
(AD) Arcane Strike

Spells:
Cantrips:
Dancing Lights
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Prestidigitation

Level 1
Touch of Gracelessness
Cause Fear

Skills:
Acrobatics
Bluff
Intimidate
K:Arcana
Perception
Perform (still wondering which type, but I think I'll go with oratory)
Spellcraft

Half-Elf stuff
Ancestral Arms
Arcane Training (Bard)
Favoured Class Bonus: +1 BP round

Is there anything I missed or something I could improve? Remember I only have access to the Core Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide.

Kudaku
2014-09-12, 08:04 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start, I don't really see any big flaws.

One thing, and I'm really nitpicking now: I'm not sure I'd pick offensive spells that grant saves on what seems to be primarily a melee bard. In my experience you won't have the feats or WBL to boost both your melee capability and your save DCs. I'd probably pick buff or utility spells instead.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-12, 08:15 PM
There aren't any level 1 bard buffs, well there is Vanish but it isn't exactly an offensive buff, or at least as far as I could see given my rulebooks limitation. I also intend to swap out Cause fear at level 5 for something else.

Kudaku
2014-09-12, 08:56 PM
I'd consider spells like Saving Finale, Vanish, Feather Step, Timely Inspiration or Expeditious Retreat.

I'm posting from my phone at the moment so unfortunately I can't guarantee that all of those are crb or apg, but I believe they are in the approved material.

Shinken
2014-09-12, 11:39 PM
I'm a bit surprised you of all people is not playing a Dex gish, Dusk. :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-12, 11:55 PM
What can I say? I like to mix things from time to time.... besides dawnflower dervish and dervish dance aren't in the approved books >_>