PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dragon Magic!

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 07:34 PM
Hello, again folks!
I just wanted to expand my 5e homebrew and add some new stuff by adding in some Dragon-Based magic.
In this thread, I'll be adding a Domain, a Monk Tradition, a Paladin's Oath, and a Warlock's Pact.

The posts below will go into full detail.
Anyhow, how do you like?

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 07:35 PM
Dragon Domain
The dragons are majestic yet deadly, and draconic gods such as Bahumat and Tiamat know this and preach to worship the dragons themselves. Whether dragons are worshipped for their grace or their ferocity, the gods of dragons grant power.

Dragon Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st Chromatic Orb, Detect Life
3rd Darkvision, Enlarge/Reduce
5th Dispel Magic, Protection from Energy
7th Polymorph, Wall of Fire
9th Cone of Cold, Telekinesis

Draconic Scales
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency in heavy armor.

Channel Divinity: Draconic Resistance
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to gain resistance in one type of damage from the list below: Fire, Cold, Lightning, Poison, or Acid. This lasts for a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom modifier, and you can use this once per long rest.

Detect Dragons/Dragonkin
Starting at 6th level, you can spend a bonus action to detect any dragon and dragon-related creatures (such as Dragonborn and Kobolds) within 6 miles, though you cannot detect the exact type of dragon or dragon-like creature it is. As a full action, you can also detect what kinds of dragons or dragon-like creatures there are within 3 miles.

Potent Spellcasting
Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Power of the Dragons
Starting at 17th level, you can use your action to be granted the divine power of dragons for 1 minute or until you dismiss it using another action or use a full action to activate its true ability. You double your proficiency bonus to all melee attack rolls as well as gain a bonus to Armor class equal to your Wisdom modifier. As a full action, you can destroy this effect to deal an extra 1d12+Wisdom modifier damage on your next melee attack (though you lose the double proficiency bonus).
You regain this ability after a long rest.

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 07:36 PM
Way of the Dragon

Way of the Dragon
The way of the Dragon was made by monks in secretive enclaves, taught by dragons to defend themselves from the dragon’s enemies. These might be other dragons and their agents, but to be prepared for their master’s enemies is part of this path’s teachings.
They learn to harness the primal energies of the dragon, manipulating ki to deal effects based on the dragon itself.

Stance of the Dragon’s Strength
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you have learned to harness your dragon’s strength to combat your enemies.
Whenever you hit a creature with one of the attacks granted by your Flurry of Blows. you can impose the following effects on that target:
* It must make a Strength Saving Throw. If it fails, you can push it up to 15 feet away from you.
* You deal extra damage to the target of this attack from the types listed equal to your Wisdom modifier: Fire, Frost, Lightning, Poison, or Acid. Once you choose which damage this effect does at 3rd level, you cannot change it.
* It cannot take reactions until the end of your next turn.

Body of the Dragon
At 6th level, you gain the ability to resist and heal yourself from taking damage from your dragon’s damage type. You gain resistance to the same damage type you chose from Stance of the Dragon’s Strength. Also, when you get hit from an attack that deals damage from which you resist, you heal damage equal to ½ your monk level + your Wisdom modifier.

Dragon’s Grace
At 11th level, you can enter a meditative stance that gives you advantage to Dexterity (Acrobatics), Strength (Athletics), or Wisdom (Perception) checks. This lasts for a single round, and you can use this a number of times per day equal to 8 + your Wisdom modifier.

Dragon’s Breath
At 17th level, you can use your action to channel your ki to make a breath weapon attack, dealing damage from the damage type you chose with Stance of the Dragon’s Strength. This damage is a 60 foot cone, and deals 8d8 damage. This ability costs 8 ki points to use.

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 07:37 PM
Oath of the Dragon

Oath of the Dragon
The Oath of the Dragon comes from an old tale that few believe is true. The tale tells that when an ancient metallic dragon passes from the world, his last whispers are of a name who’d adopt his soul and cherish it as a friend that gives knowledge and wisdom to those that use it, and a tool to fight against the enemies of Bahumat. The Oath for Chromatic dragons are usually driven by an impossible revenge or a task that tests the paladin’s devotion to Tiamat.

Tenets of the Dragons
The tenets of this Oath are simple, yet encompass all of dragonkind as well as dragon blooded. This oath emphasizes the power of dragons, whether showing the kindness of the metallics or the greed of the chromatics, and how to handle it without any concerns of law or chaos.
Dragons are Power. Through your teachings, others should learn how to respect the draconic glory, but it doesn’t have to be through intimidation.
Shelter Power When it is not Needed. Where they are predatory, dangerous, and powerful, dragons can also be kind, peaceful, and wise. Your actions follow that.
Dragons have Knowledge. Ignorance is one thing that is not allowed from this Oath, learning all one can from dragons that you meet. This may cause suspicion at best when you are communing with a dragon, but to you, it’s beneficial for all.

Mostly, this Oath allows you to make your own rules, although you are not allowed to discredit a dragon’s power or knowledge.

Oath of Dragons Spells
Paladin Level Spells
3rd Chromatic Orb, Detect Life
5th Darkvision, Enlarge/Reduce
9th Dispel Magic, Protection from Energy
13th Polymorph, Wall of Fire
17th Cone of Cold, Telekinesis

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Dragon’s Strength. You can use your Channel Divinity to invoke a dragon’s strength. As a bonus Action, you can add you proficiency bonus to your melee damage rolls. Also, when you hit with this melee attack, you can push the target up to 15 feet away.
Dragon Sense. You can use your Channel Divinity to invoke a dragon’s senses. As a bonus action, you can gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks. Also, you can detect any magic until the end of your next turn.

Aura of Dragon’s Presence
Beginning at 7th level, your draconic spirit allows you to strike fear as it did when it was alive. Every enemy within 15 feet of you must succeed at a Wisdom saving throw. If it failed, the creature is frightened for 1d6 rounds.
At 18th level, this aura’s range increases to within 30 feet.

Dragon’s Sorcery
Starting at 15th level, the dragon teaches you arcane secrets that will help you on your journey. You can now prepare Sorcerer spells with your Paladin spell slots.

Draconic Champion
At 20th level, you have gained some features of the dragon you serve. You might have scales of the specific color that you serve or dragon-like eyes.
Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
* You gain 20 temporary hit points.
* Whenever you cast a spell (whether a paladin spell or sorcerer spell of the same level) that has the casting time of 1 action, you can cast it as a bonus action instead.
* Your Dragon’s presence increases to 60 feet, and the duration of being frightened is increased to 2d6 rounds.
Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 07:38 PM
Pact of the Dragon

The Dragon
Your patron is a dragon, whether chromatic, metallic, crystalline, or even all of them; you have made a pact with the primal idea of the dragon. Your personality has faint twitches where you act like a dragon, but it is minor enough for others to think of it as a personality quirk.
Beings of these sort don’t have names, for each represent the dragons themselves.

Expanded Spell List
The dragons allow you to access your arcane secrets, expanding your choices when you learn warlock spells. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Dragon Expanded Spell List
Spell Level Spells
1st Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb
2nd Darkvision, Enlarge/Reduce
3rd Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt
4th Ice Storm, Wall of Fire
5th Cone of Cold, Telekinesis

Dragon’s Sorcery
Starting at 1st level, the dragons let you delve into their arcane powers. You can learn and prepare spells from the Sorcerer spell list.

Dragon’s Dash
Starting at 6th level, you can seem to move incredibly fast due to momentum added by spectral dragon’s wings. As an action, you can add 10 feet to your speed until the end of your next turn. Also, you gain resistance to damage taken from falling until the end of your next turn.

Dragon’s Resistance
Starting at 10th level, you can choose one of the following damage types when you finish a short or long rest: Fire, Frost, Lightning, Poison, or Acid. You gain resistance to that damage type you choose a different one with this feature.

Draconic Flight
Starting at 14th level, you can spend a full action to move through the sky with a fly speed equal to your base speed. If you do not land at the end of your turn, you fall.

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 07:39 PM
You may now respond with your advice/ideas/criticism.
Let the Draconic revolution begin!!!

Ralcos
2014-09-12, 10:27 PM
No feedback?
Is it REALLY that good? I know that something isn't balanced, ESPECIALLY since I'm new to homebrewing for 5e.

Reshy
2014-09-12, 11:12 PM
Honestly 5e's so new that there's barely any point in adding such things because everyone's still learning the system.

Starcofski
2014-09-12, 11:12 PM
No feedback?
Is it REALLY that good? I know that something isn't balanced, ESPECIALLY since I'm new to homebrewing for 5e.

You might want to try a little patience; some threads never receive any attention.

I will give some feedback on the Domain (relevant to my interests and experience):
1) Potent Spellcasting seems kinda off to me; why just cantrips? And/or why only bonus damage?
2) Power of Dragons seems rather strong in a smart player's hands, and has a high skill floor. It appears to be a good capstone, but with no experience in the high levels yet I can't speak for it's balance.
3) I question whether Enlarge/Reduce and Polymorph are a good fit, both on a cleric and as a dragon-devotee.

DiBastet
2014-09-12, 11:36 PM
Don't forget to look at the 5e Dragonfire Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369033-Homebrew-Dragonfire-Adept-for-5e-PEACH)

Ammutseba
2015-05-21, 07:43 PM
Pact of the Dragon
Dragon’s Dash
Starting at 6th level, you can seem to move incredibly fast due to momentum added by spectral dragon’s wings. As an action, you can add 10 feet to your speed until the end of your next turn. Also, you gain resistance to damage taken from falling until the end of your next turn.

Pretty weak for a 6th level perk. Maybe this should be a bonus action, instead. Otherwise, with a speed of 30, I'll move 40 feet in a round with this ability, as compared to stock Dashing, which moves me 60. Additionally, that fall resistance is often only good if I know I'm going to be falling during this round. If I have superior initiative, and someone knocks me off a ledge after my turn, this does nothing for me. Was that intentional?