PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Caster-style Binder

Kazyan
2014-09-12, 07:36 PM
Binders are pretty good at melee, but I've also seen "caster" Binders mentioned. How do those work, exactly, before 10th level when you can just bind Zceryll?

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-12, 07:46 PM
They don't. Well they don't work very well as a pure binder.

You can go early entry into Anima Mage which definitely helps early game binder casters as it gives them actual spells to cast. But that probably isn't what you were asking for.

Early game (3rd level) focolar is actually a decent blaster as 3d6 damage at will is still good at that level. So going with Focolar for 3-6th level is probably your best bet if you don't want to melee it up.

7th level is kinda harsh as you don't have two vestiges yet and you don't have that many stand alone options. I might suggest just binding Beur and be a healbot for a level. You could also go for http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a Astaroth for suggestion + nauseation cone.

For 8th-9th there are a bit more options. You could go any mix of the previous vestiges or go something like Geryon and Balam for 4d6 gaze attack to everyone within 30ft but then you kinda run out of steam as you don't have much else to do with your actions.

I would suggest investing in some UMD and having some wands to help you out. Craft some yourself with Astaroth if you need to.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-12, 10:06 PM
Getting from lvl 1 to 3 Amon isnt a terrible choice as the line isnt terrible for that level, Aym isnt terribad either as the Halo of Fire can tide you over until you get Focalor, when the fun begins.

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-13, 06:44 AM
Getting from lvl 1 to 3 Amon isnt a terrible choice as the line isnt terrible for that level, Aym isnt terribad either as the Halo of Fire can tide you over until you get Focalor, when the fun begins.

Agreed, I just play 90% of my campaigns at 3+ so I don't have much experience down in those levels :smalltongue: