PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dat Sublime Chord shenanigans

.Zero
2014-09-12, 08:03 PM
I have some questions.

If I'm correct a Bard 1/Wizard 8/ Sublime Chord 10 has three separate caster levels, which SC sets to 18.
Now we add a level of Spellthief and Master Spellthief and everything goes to 72.

Now, let's forget a moment about PrCs prerequisites and take something like Bard1/Wizard5/Chameleon10/Sublime Chord 4/Spellthief1, with Master Spellthief.

1) Is the Chameleon cl affected by the SC craziness? If so, should this build have a cl 36 for arcane spells? If not, should the cl for arcane spells be 47?

2) Is it possible to add the SC's spells per day to the Chameleon's spellcasting? And in general, can PrCs progress Chameleon spellcasting?

3) Does caster level booster count towards the SC's ability to increase caster level? I mean, if the first build has an orange ioun stone and a bead of karma, does the total caster level be 92?

4) Say, you are bard 1/wizard 8/ SC 1/ Spellthief 1 and you add your SC level to wizard. Now i take 9 levels in another random full-casting PrC, progressing Sublime Chord. Does the added level of that PrC contribute to the cl shenanigans? Is the build's final cl 54?

Thanks.

.Zero
2014-09-13, 10:33 AM
Oh come on guys, i once made a thread that reached three pages in less that 20 hours and no one posted here yet? I'm sure you can do better that this.

Anyway, i made an error: i wrote that SC advances Wizard level as if it is a full casting PrC. i meant to say that it adds to Wizard caster level to determine its own caster level and all arcane classes caster level.
Hope that's clear now.

.Zero
2014-09-15, 03:30 PM
It seems i have to up this thread again, well, here i am, up!

5) Does items that boost caster level count towards determining your caster level for feats and/or classes? I mean, if i have an orange ioun stone and my cl is 3, am i considered to be cl 4. and allowed to take Extra Slot?

evangaline
2014-09-15, 03:52 PM
It seems i have to up this thread again, well, here i am, up!

5) Does items that boost caster level count towards determining your caster level for feats and/or classes? I mean, if i have an orange ioun stone and my cl is 3, am i considered to be cl 4. and allowed to take Extra Slot?

Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells.

You cast spells as a Xth level bard, and an Yth level wizard. Your caster level for arcane spells equals X+Y+spellthief level. I must admit that I did not know of this cheese, but seems truely powerful. Keep in mind this only works when bards cast arcane spells (I do not have my phb near me, but it does seem logical for them to be arcane casters).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-15, 03:58 PM
It doesn't work that way. Both Sublime Chord and Master Spellthief use a replacement effect, which only considers your effective class levels for determining spells/day and highest level spells, not your caster levels.

"A sublime chord’s caster level for both her sublime chord spells and the spells she gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding her sublime chord level to her level in another arcane spellcasting class."

"Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells."

You add together your class levels in spellcasting classes and replace your current caster level with that total. The two abilities have no favorable interaction, whichever one you apply last completely replaces the effect of whichever one you apply first.

.Zero
2014-09-15, 04:22 PM
Biffoniacus, are you referring to this whole thing? I have to say that my questions are based on this thread
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/45421/how-are-caster-levels-determined-in-concert-with-the-feat-master-spellthief

So, is everything wrote there completely incorrect?

Anyway, my last question is somewhat independent from SC caster level shenanigans, but i'd like to know if things like orange ioun stone let qualify a wizard 3 for Extra Slot

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-15, 04:55 PM
Biffoniacus, are you referring to this whole thing? I have to say that my questions are based on this thread
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/45421/how-are-caster-levels-determined-in-concert-with-the-feat-master-spellthief

So, is everything wrote there completely incorrect?

Anyway, my last question is somewhat independent from SC caster level shenanigans, but i'd like to know if things like orange ioun stone let qualify a wizard 3 for Extra Slot

I'm pretty sure at least most of what's written there is incorrect. Classes that add other classes together to determine your caster level are not the same thing as adding another class to your current caster level. None of those actually add a bonus to your caster level, they each make a calculation and replace whatever your caster level would have been with their own total. There are ways to get an abnormally high caster level (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246510-Theurgic-Specalist-and-Necromancy-why-has-nobody-caught-onto-this/page2#56), but you cannot combine multiple effects that replace your caster level with a calculated value.

Regarding your last question, yes your current caster level is used to determine whether or not you meet prerequisites, whether via Practiced Spellcaster or Master Spellthief or a Ring of Arcane Might or any other effect that modifies your caster level.