PDA

View Full Version : Surviving Evil : Post Apocalypse

ArlEammon
2014-09-12, 08:15 PM
The Refuge, a large Mansion, combined with a large rest area, a motel, and several score community houses and cabins in the mountains of Colorado are peaceful enough to give someone the impression that they aren't in a world that has just began to enter the Twilight of Humanity. The Refuge Town possesses a few people, a handful or more in each house, and the Mansion is astounding, large enough to hold several Refuge Towns worth of population in it's rooms comfortably. The owner of the house hold, Henry Jeff Charleson was the richest man in the world by the time the Apocalypse fell on the world. It wasn't in the form of Nuclear War, Terrorism or Nationalism . . . It was something that tore governments apart, something that drove the wise men and reasonable folk in the world insane.

No one knew what caused it, they only knew that it was worse than any Zombie Apocalypse, and any Alien Invasion that had ever been shown on film. . . Adolph Hitler was a Dictator, he needed his men to carry out his evil schemes, his Final Solution, his Blitzkrieg's and horrific experiments. . . therein lay the problem. Evil grew in American and every other society in the world. People began to just. . . kill, rape, maim and eat each other. . . it started in in the 2010's. A wild man began to eat a homeless victim's face off. . . he would only respond to police's orders to back off with growls, like a rabid dog. . . the homeless man survived, probably with mental scars, and was saved by police, but by the 2040's. . . there was no order in the world.

People began to form savage, primitive tribes. . . for no explanation that anyone had ever managed to give, people became evil. Grandma's could poison their grandchildren, mothers could place their newborn children in ovens, and numerous other atrocities grew so bad, that no order remained. For some mystical reason, no biological outbreaks, and no mass warfare came of this. . . People who still had their Humanity in-tact, and their moral values in place, wondered why this was. The truth is, such weapons had began to just fail in effectiveness, meaning, they stopped working, at all. One of the few small mercies of the Age of Hell.

Refuge Town had a process for people entering it permanently as a resident. There was a place of run down buildings and a working rest area farther down the mountain. . . it wasn't as comfortable as Refuge Town, but it also had it's own security, and people trying to maintain security and protect the people trying to get in the higher town. One of the most comfortable places to be in the lower Town was the motel. People thought to be unstable or psychotic like the rest of the outside world was flatly turned away. Sometimes with minor encouragements to take care of themselves until they were allowed to come back, a few supplies could be given, bottled water, and provisions, etcetera.

Henry Jeff Charleson
"Well then, I'm Henry Jeff Charleson. . . I'm glad that we've had another peaceful, lawful day in Charleson, safe from the chaos that is no doubt raging outside the local mountain areas and our less safe, but still civilized neighbors. I've directed electric power to all nearby towns, not a single community within a three hundred mile radius of this mountain is without power, and we've formed a sort of federation with all of our friends out there. We provide food, and they basically provide us with other services. Sometimes in the form of resources we can't get ourselves in this high mountain, and other times in foods we can't grow here, or even as mercenary pay. I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be thrown back to the Colonial Era in the 21st century, especially in such a Nightmarish Way. We all remember that day, in the December 30th, 2041, when the last of our great nation of America's sovereignty was finally on the receiving end of fatal blows. There weren't no law and order in the entire country anymore small towns, or maybe a certain number of large city blocks out of entire city's like New Yorks were about as large of a community that could gather with enough safety to work as a stabilized civil institution. Gangs and radical terrorist religionists, as well as racist militias fought over the ruins of the White House. The WHITE HOUSE friends! I remember a time when such a thing like this was literally unimaginable, but you know what they say, sometimes the visionary is the sickest mind among us. Anyway, in several days, it will be 2048. Red is the color of our Lord in the Manger today, it's Christmas, the day and the night of angels of mercy and joy. There may be very few if any community as happy as we are in Charleson tonight. God Bless you all and good night."

Henry Jeff Charleson had called several people to work. There was a Vacation Resort on the same mountain, in sort of an off limits zone. He was ready to send his employees and volunteers to visit the Resort in order to expand his territory. More living space that could be fortified and made safe for Human occupation would be appreciated. In fact, Lowtown was being surrounded with hundreds of new recruits who all seemed promising.

drack
2014-09-12, 08:36 PM
Little Frog yawned quietly into the back of his hand. Truth be told, he was chronically depressed these days. If there was no fun in killing where was there fun to be had? He got the faintest bemusement from watching how humanity had fallen and how everyone suffered for it, but overall there was just nothing to live for beyond his next meal... at least with this job his next meal was bound to be a big and extravagant one. And so he stood among the crowd, a bent backed old man with a kind smile on his face nodding to everyone he recognized. Old habits were hardest to kill as they say. If anything he seemed quite merry as he strolled further into the crowd. Dimly he wondered if any of them would be any good at this line of work.

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-12, 09:22 PM
Alistair smiled, standing in the front row as he fraternized with the surrounding people, telling stories and showing his friendly smile. But when they returned with their experiences and opinions they all ways spoke of how pleasant life was now compared to what they'd been through, and how great a time they were having. But he saw through the lies, and the elated faces, and he despised them. He hated the liars standing next to him, but he put up with them for a time. Until he couldn't last any long in the crowd, not with all of the self deception. They told themselves they were pure, or happy, or safe; they were not, and the more they thought it, the more disgusted he became. So after a while he excused himself and walked towards the back, hands in his pockets, and engaging only in the most brief small talk as he tried to get out of the throng of people.

drack
2014-09-12, 09:37 PM
Strangely enough Little Frog saw someone leaving. Smiling he approached the lad. "What is it m' boy, not enough metal in yer spine to join us in clearing up these wastes?"

Elbeyon
2014-09-12, 11:41 PM
Teeth grinding the air between them as the speech came to a close; the short, half-messy head of hair above shifted side to side looking for Algar Maxwell. He was the no nonsense kinda guy that gave none when it came to politics, even better than Cande when it came to ignoring them. Past half the crowd when he's spotted, she waves over the taller townsfolk and gives a shout to get his attention. His clipboard thumping against his shoulder, a habit he had when he was starting to get impatient, by the time she pushes through the crowd. He was just the person she wanted to be able to ask about the vacation resort.

"Hey, loved the speech." Knowing he'd ignore that one she continued on without stopping, "When are the others and you assembling the groups for the vacation resort?" Done walking she took a stand. The job certainly wouldn't have a lack of volunteers. Between people looking to scout out the new homes before everyone else and the more scavenger-prone minds he'd be supersaturated with people. She didn't really care about that. She wanted a look at the new place and the people that were going to be moving in. "Give me a group of new basetown residents whenever you do. This many new people at once and I no longer know half the population." He knew she thought this many people joining the towns at once was a bad idea, and he knew given the opportunity to turn them away she'd accept as many as possible.

ArlEammon
2014-09-13, 08:24 AM
"Oh, not many if any will be from Lowtown, or Basetown, or whatever we're calling it now. But there's still plenty of others from Refuge. Richard here, no last name due to Amnesia, is apparently a Special Forces member of the old US Military Forces. I found some of his data files, and everything is scrambled. His Psyche Profile, blood type, and other general information was unscathed, but it's odd that his name, and family information was all with the appearance of watered down ink. He is very fit though, and filled with genetic augmentations that make him perfect for the job. There are some other Ex Military men, Survivalists, etcetera all filling in."

"Life signs indicate some animal life, domesticated animal life as well as feral beasts in the area. Felines, Canines, Avians and such. Oh, and I found one Man who has claimed to have scouted the area already. He says that he's been taking medication since before societal collapse, and he was unable to conclusively prove everything, but he says that he may have found stashes of medicine in the Infirmaries in the place."

"If anyone is willing to do other work and not this specific assignment, I have some other important tasks also."

Sose96
2014-09-13, 09:02 AM
Vladimir considers this scouting mission, or whatever it may be. And then heads towards the man whom gave the speech. "Hey uh, can i assist with this scouting mission of sorts?"

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-13, 09:03 AM
Strangely enough Little Frog saw someone leaving. Smiling he approached the lad. "What is it m' boy, not enough metal in yer spine to join us in clearing up these wastes?"

Alistair raised an eyebrow and turned to face the stranger,

"Hello there mr?

Alistair left the question hanging as he weighed his options. He could simply walk away, but his intuition told him not to, he knew he could take advantage of this situation.

"I am by no means "spineless" I merely need some fresh air.

He then thought to himself,

Ive never met anyone who would say that, and I also dont have any metal in my body."

ArlEammon
2014-09-13, 09:19 AM
"Ah yes. Vladimir. You most certainly can. There's also a ghost town nearby. It only has four families in it left out of the three thousand people there used to be there. We don't need any scouting or searching the area for the place but we would appreciate some man power for repairs, and perhaps some scavenging. The Town of High Rock is a weird place. It's a place that was home to a weird Cult, many Survivalists used to come from there, and the people were kicked each other out. Only the current residents who stayed out of the trouble managed to keep their homes. In short, what I'm saying is, although most goods we could use are certainly gone, there are still some areas we couldn't get to before that have sealed provisions for our people to use, including, but not limited to food and sanitary supplies."

Sose96
2014-09-13, 09:47 AM
Vladimir ponders his options, raises a confused eyebrow at the other man, and then makes up his mind. "Ok."

drack
2014-09-13, 09:59 AM
Alistair raised an eyebrow and turned to face the stranger,

"Hello there mr?

Alistair left the question hanging as he weighed his options. He could simply walk away, but his intuition told him not to, he knew he could take advantage of this situation.

"I am by no means "spineless" I merely need some fresh air.

He then thought to himself,

Ive never met anyone who would say that, and I also dont have any metal in my body."

"Ah, my apologies, I suppose it is an old world saying, I'm Frank, though these days people just call me Little Frog on account of the bad back and all." The old man empathetical rubs his back which is bent in such a way as to almost appear as a hunch. He'd tried going by Frank before, a commonplace name, but in this unusual new world it seemed people were going by whatever they felt like these days so he'd adopted a simpler name if somewhat less commonplace.

"It's just that I'd hate to think we'd have even one less brave soul with us to explore the undertown, are you perhaps thinking of looking elsewhere to make your daily buck?"

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-13, 10:45 AM
"Ah, my apologies, I suppose it is an old world saying, I'm Frank, though these days people just call me Little Frog on account of the bad back and all." The old man empathetical rubs his back which is bent in such a way as to almost appear as a hunch. He'd tried going by Frank before, a commonplace name, but in this unusual new world it seemed people were going by whatever they felt like these days so he'd adopted a simpler name if somewhat less commonplace.

"It's just that I'd hate to think we'd have even one less brave soul with us to explore the undertown, are you perhaps thinking of looking elsewhere to make your daily buck?"

"The option didnt really cross my mind until now."

He paused for a moment, seemingly contemplating to himself.

"I would like to explore with you, but the dangers are great. You may not be prepared."

This "little frog" had Alistair's attention now, it had been so long sense he'd left the clinic. He'd only come to the speech because he thought it'd be an interesting change of pace, but now he knew what he wanted to to. The filth that wasnt allowed into the city was left to rot in it's shadow, and he would purge this filth from the world. Fire by fire, death by death.

"Then again, I dont get to leave the clinic very often, i'd love to go."

ArlEammon
2014-09-13, 12:05 PM
"Well um, the dangers aren't necessarily that great." Henry chimed. "They could be. Animals, maybe snakes could maul you, but it's not likely anyone homicidal would be against us when the Refuge is so close by."

drack
2014-09-13, 12:14 PM
"The option didnt really cross my mind until now."

He paused for a moment, seemingly contemplating to himself.

"I would like to explore with you, but the dangers are great. You may not be prepared."

This "little frog" had Alistair's attention now, it had been so long sense he'd left the clinic. He'd only come to the speech because he thought it'd be an interesting change of pace, but now he knew what he wanted to to. The filth that wasnt allowed into the city was left to rot in it's shadow, and he would purge this filth from the world. Fire by fire, death by death.

"Then again, I dont get to leave the clinic very often, i'd love to go."

"Well I may not be prepared, but I've been scavenging for a few years, so I've at least got some idea what's out there. In any case I'd be glad to have you, my back's not what it used to be so far as hauling heavy supplies..." In truth Little Frog really didn't want company. at the very least they'd probably expect him to act as a cripple for the whole journey, why his shoulders might still be stiff from the last time that happened... Still he didn't want the town marking him as one of those homicidal...

"Well um, the dangers aren't necessarily that great." Henry chimed. "They could be. Animals, maybe snakes could maul you, but it's not likely anyone homicidal would be against us when the Refuge is so close by."

"Oh no my friend, you mustn't understate the dangers! I've seen folks sprain their ankles or get trapped underneath rubble, even stuck on a second floor when a staircase collapsed! It's just a shame I always got to them too late..." Well perhaps he'd strolled on by when he heard them screaming for help on the third day, but who would blame him, do you know how hard it is to deal with frightened people when you've already put enough effort into helping them that killing them after all isn't so great an option?

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-13, 12:21 PM
"Well I may not be prepared, but I've been scavenging for a few years, so I've at least got some idea what's out there. In any case I'd be glad to have you, my back's not what it used to be so far as hauling heavy supplies..." In truth Little Frog really didn't want company. at the very least they'd probably expect him to act as a cripple for the whole journey, why his shoulders might still be stiff from the last time that happened... Still he didn't want the town marking him as one of those homicidal...

"Oh no my friend, you mustn't understate the dangers! I've seen folks sprain their ankles or get trapped underneath rubble, even stuck on a second floor when a staircase collapsed! It's just a shame I always got to them too late..." Well perhaps he'd strolled on by when he heard them screaming for help on the third day, but who would blame him, do you know how hard it is to deal with frightened people when you've already put enough effort into helping them that killing them after all isn't so great an option?

Alistair gave a sarcastic smile,

"I must differ to your superiour experience, I am however a doctor; and I think I could fix your back quite easily."

He gave a more genuine grin, he did love helping people, and this "frank" seemed decent enough.

"I work a clinic in lowtown, you should stop by on the way to the underscape."

drack
2014-09-13, 12:46 PM
"Ah, a doctor! Now isn't that a rare skill in this day and age... Then you'd be able to identify which medical supplies are of any use to the town?" This truly was surprising. Dimly Little Frog wondered to himself whether the doctor had been trained before or after the Apocalypse...

ArlEammon
2014-09-13, 12:54 PM
"Eh, it's been six years since societal collapse, that usually isn't long enough for buildings to just collapse. It isn't like we're still stuck with early 21st century and late 20th century architecture. But you may be partially right anyway. With certain things happening no one is around to preserve the buildings of their old shiny quality. I'm sure you all are confused why I'm choosing some of you, since I've heard some of you look anxious and quite inconfident about this job, and truth be known, I know some of you around here more than I know other people in Refuge. I"m entrusting you with my grand daughter, Carina. She's very adamant about going on this job, and since Hell will come before she leaves the Mountains under my watch, I'm letting her go out to her first real working job today."

"This could be your pay tickets for a raise, ladies and gentlemen." He smiled. "Okay, now there is one particular concern I have with this job, and that is the potential for their security systems to give us trouble. The power is off, but they have some back up restore, and while it won't get in our way, necessarily, it can be a bad racket for your eardrums. Take some ear plugs."

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-13, 01:08 PM
"Eh, it's been six years since societal collapse, that usually isn't long enough for buildings to just collapse. It isn't like we're still stuck with early 21st century and late 20th century architecture. But you may be partially right anyway. With certain things happening no one is around to preserve the buildings of their old shiny quality. I'm sure you all are confused why I'm choosing some of you, since I've heard some of you look anxious and quite inconfident about this job, and truth be known, I know some of you around here more than I know other people in Refuge. I"m entrusting you with my grand daughter, Carina. She's very adamant about going on this job, and since Hell will come before she leaves the Mountains under my watch, I'm letting her go out to her first real working job today."

"This could be your pay tickets for a raise, ladies and gentlemen." He smiled. "Okay, now there is one particular concern I have with this job, and that is the potential for their security systems to give us trouble. The power is off, but they have some back up restore, and while it won't get in our way, necessarily, it can be a bad racket for your eardrums. Take some ear plugs."

"I will, thank you."

Alistair firmly shakes Henry's hand.

I have some supplies ill need to grab before we go, I do believe that if your confident that theres no danger we'll be fine; but it never hurts to be prepared.

drack
2014-09-13, 01:11 PM

Little Frog shakes his head gently. "No, you see there were some folks with explosives running through the town earlier that day. I'm sure you understand." Looking doubtfully at the ear plugs he adds "I'll also tell you from first hand experience those things don't help much at all, so I'll pass."

Sose96
2014-09-13, 03:13 PM

Vladimir considers the dangers of having these rather strange individuals on their own or with small groups. "I'd best tag along, make sure nobody has any arguments or scraps."

Conski McGoo
2014-09-13, 03:45 PM
Ladolf appears slowly out of the shadows, his face still carrying the chalk marks of his recent prayer session. He had missed the speech and by the looks of things, the recruitment party. Salt remained his priority however, and Ladolf's prayers had taken even longer since the dream.

Tomahawk flutters his wings gently and settles on Ladolfs shoulder. It stands straighter as Ladolf nears Henry Charlesone.

Sorry I missed the speech Henry...

He looks around, the pigeon also eyes the crowd, as if looking for something unseen.

A lot of people here, I don't like it. Look, I've been hearing 'round the group that Carina is damn determined to go and get herself killed, with all these other people around, I think I might tag along, make sure nothing happens to the lass. Can't trust no one these days. I can get my gear together now if you wish, unless you have other plans for me?

ArlEammon
2014-09-13, 06:32 PM
"Go ahead sir." He nodded. "I have many people tagging along with you guys. The Resort is the size of a town all by it'self. It's rather remarkable that I never though to have our town partially built in it in the first place. I guess I just decided to follow some old societal laws that never exist by not doing so."

Sose96
2014-09-17, 12:24 PM
"Go ahead sir." He nodded. "I have many people tagging along with you guys. The Resort is the size of a town all by it'self. It's rather remarkable that I never though to have our town partially built in it in the first place. I guess I just decided to follow some old societal laws that never exist by not doing so."

Vladimir thinks over the size of the resort and decides on his goals. "Perhaps it will have some kind of security office? could be worth looking for."

ArlEammon
2014-09-18, 08:30 PM
"Oh yes, definitely. . . feel free to bring over medical supplies. . . Tell us whatever you people run into, okay? Meanwhile, others will be doing different tasks, which are either just as important, or at least important."

((Expect a minimum of four posts before making it to the Resort).