PDA

View Full Version : DM Help No one expects the Inquisition (Setting Help Wanted)

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-09-12, 10:23 PM
Alright so I wanted to run a campaign or at least write up a campaign that focuses on the well the inquisition of arcane spellcasters.

No 9th level Arcane classes exist in this setting (No Sorcerer or Wizard)

The settings have the churches with their Clerics, Anti-/Paladins, Oracles, and Inquisitors waging war against those of the Arcane casters. The churches have been systematically getting ride of those who practice the arcane magic schools. The Mage Colleges are shut down and the students rounded up and locked away in Anti-Magic field prisons with their magical books and supplies denied to them.

The gods are split between supporting this cause as most arcane casters can trace their roots to evil bloodlines and so forth or just fear or what those Arcane casters might do should they get more powerful. The gods who stand against this aid the arcane casters in subtle ways such as messing with divination spells to help mask and hide the arcane casters when needed (DM fiat)

The party would be composed of likely all Arcane casters with maybe a few rebellious divine spellcasters who's chosen gods support the arcane casters.
I am thinking Summoners, Bards, and Magus for Arcane casters and Rangers, Druids, Rogue Inquisitors, Clerics, Paladins of gods who support the cause.

But I am not sure on details, can someone help me come up with interesting plot hooks and perhaps noteworthy villains.

Grayson01
2014-09-13, 06:07 PM
On plot twist is that the BIG BAD behind the whole arcane inquisition is a high level wizard or Sorc. I think Sorc is a better idea, killing off all the other arcane threats to high power. Maybe even a mystic Thurge if you don't wanna go to OP with it. That's all I can think of for now. Have you thought about adding in the fixed listed arcane casters, Dread Necro, Beguiler, War Mage?

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-14, 01:36 AM
The Deryni series of novels by Katherine Kurtz is one of my favourite, set in a world where arcane spellcasters (divine magic doesn't exist) are a persecuted human subrace (except for nobility, who claim their magical abilities are divine favour). The persecution isn't quite as intense as what you describe (unless they dare to sneak into the priesthood, in which case they're burnt at the stake if discovered).

Might give you a few ideas, I dunno.

Kol Korran
2014-09-14, 10:35 AM
My suggestion is to first start to flesh out the setting around this struggle more, and as the details and flavor of the campaign starts to flesh out, ideas will come, emerge, and coalesce. If you wish, I'm willing to try and work on this with you. I've planned something... a bit similar back in the days.

If you don't know the answer, then give it some time, think it over. if you still can't come up with something, then just make a decision, and build the rest around it. Putting a bit of a random element into the campaign can benefit it greatly.

Some starting questions:
- Why do the persecution exist? What is problematic with arcane casters? Try to give a good answer, but one open to interpretation. Try not to make to "cliche evil", but something with some appeal to it.
- Who are the main forces behind the inquisition? Choose at least three, and try to have them somewhat different (Not three religions) And make sure they do not work seemlesly together. An imperfect enemy, one with weaknesses, is one the party can counter and move against.
- How long has the inquisition been going on? Is it in it's early stages? Full control of the continent? In between? Decide the exact extent.
- What resources does the forces of the inquisition have? Don't make them limitless. They can be extensive, but have limits. Otherwise it's impossible for the party to evade them.
- Who opposes the inquisition? Make at least two powers, and again- not too similar.
- What special means does the inquisition have to combat arcanists? These should be unique to the campaign. (In my idea for example, there were paladins who'se every feature that was "evil" was transformed to "opposing casters"- Smite arcanists for example.
- Which forces do not side with the inquisition or the opposite side? Why? Again, try and create 2-3. These usually need to be less detailed.

These are things to start with. Other ideas will evolve from them.

Val666
2014-09-14, 11:26 AM
The campaign Im running right now have a similar event as a first act (3 acts). There's a revolutionary army that chases spellcasters (not only arcane but whatever). They use artifacts to extract spell slots from casters and have prisons that shape to the caster "weakness". In the end, the leader of such organitzation is working for a Far Realm being, which is a psionic creature that despises arcane and divine casting. The players of this campaign are both a wizard and a cleric, so they have been heavily affected by the situation. As I said, this is the first act of the campaign, involving low to mid levels (1-8 or 9) Then sime other stuff for act 2 and the invasion of the Far Realms on act 3.