PDA

View Full Version : Permanency Play

CryptbornAkryea
2014-09-13, 03:16 AM
If you could choose a single spell to Permanency on a character what spell would you choose and on what character?

Let's assume that the Permanency list of spells has been somehow expanded to include whatever spell you want.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-13, 06:47 AM
Shapechange. Doesn't matter what character, the answer is Shapechange.

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-13, 06:49 AM
Shapechange. Doesn't matter what character, the answer is Shapechange.

Agreed, shapechange wins hands down.

Other OP options: Greater Consumptive Field, Time Stop

Options I would actually chose: Stormrage, Sadisim, Freezing Glance

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-13, 07:14 AM
Body outside Body

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-13, 07:16 AM
Oh timeless body would also be a pretty good one if psionics is allowed. Still not as good as shape change.

Krobar
2014-09-13, 08:14 AM
Shapechange. Without a doubt.

Segev
2014-09-13, 08:16 AM
I would actually say that Time Stop would be a BAD choice, because you'd never get to interact with the rest of the world again.

Nousos
2014-09-13, 01:47 PM
I would actually say that Time Stop would be a BAD choice, because you'd never get to interact with the rest of the world again.

After you have used the free time to secure a perfect future for yourself and solved all of life's mysteries you feel like, just enter an antimagic field to undo the spell.

Segev
2014-09-13, 02:08 PM
After you have used the free time to secure a perfect future for yourself and solved all of life's mysteries you feel like, just enter an antimagic field to undo the spell.

AMF only suppresses it; you'd be vulnerable to all the anti-AMF shenanigans with no magical protections of your own, OR you'd be outside of time.

Nousos
2014-09-13, 02:32 PM
Just use the AMF to pass time and let everything you set up play out, theres no need to be in a combat area where you would be threatened while in the AMF. Once you are finally tired of manipulating the multiverse to your benefit you can dispel it. (it may take lots of time to get the umd skill or spellcasting ability to do so if you didn't already have it but you have all that you need)

Edit-the AMF actually wouldn't work, as I noticed the spell time stop simply states you cannot enter an area protected by an antimagic field, so there is no way to use it to suppress it unless you count casting it on yourself as working since you aren't technically entering it.

Void Star
2014-09-13, 02:45 PM
Arcane Spellsurge, mainly because of awesome flavour.

Hamste
2014-09-13, 02:50 PM
Couldn't you just dispel it after you were done? Sure you would never get it back but with infinite time you should be more than prepared.

Jormengand
2014-09-13, 04:20 PM
Antimagic field. On a martial character.

Hey, no-one said it had to be on a spellcaster! :smalltongue:

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-13, 04:26 PM

It sounds like a good idea. Then you realize you're pretty much screwed without magic items after level 5 at the latest. Maybe a little later on a ToB character, but not much.

Divide by Zero
2014-09-13, 04:26 PM

Until you get picked off by anything that can fly (faster than you, if you have mundane flight) and has a ranged attack, of course :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2014-09-13, 04:37 PM
Until you get picked off by anything that can fly (faster than you, if you have mundane flight) and has a ranged attack, of course :smalltongue:

That's very nice, unless I happen to be an archer. :smalltongue:

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-13, 04:48 PM
That's very nice, unless I happen to be an archer. :smalltongue:

An archer with a non-magical bow and ammunition isn't exactly a big threat. You're pretty much neutralized by anything with DR 10/magic. Your to-hit lags behind because you lack an enhancement bonus on your weapon and on your Dexterity. So does your damage even with a composite bow. Your weapon has no special abilities. Your AC is atrocious. Your other defenses like miss chances, death ward, tactical teleportation etc. are nonexistant, because they rely on magic.

Fact is most monsters are a lot more suited to fight within an AMF. You're a squishy little meatback with a few pointy sticks. Magic is the great equalizer, even for martials.
It's the reason VoP is so bad, and you won't even have that in an AMF.

aleucard
2014-09-13, 05:51 PM
How about a version of AMF that doesn't affect anything the character enhanced with one doesn't want it to, as long as they're touching the thing in question? Spells cast by the guy would still fizzle as normal without that one thing that lets casters ignore AMF's, but people reliant on magic items would be golden.

KerlanRayne
2014-09-13, 08:58 PM
An archer would work in an AMF but it would be a lot more expensive. He would have to buy enchanted arrows since they would become magical again once they left the AMF.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-13, 11:38 PM
It sounds like a good idea. Then you realize you're pretty much screwed without magic items after level 5 at the latest. Maybe a little later on a ToB character, but not much.

A Selective AMF then. Problem solved.

Jormengand
2014-09-14, 08:21 AM
Yeah, selective spell works.

"You want your magic to work? You're gonna have to grapple me. Yeah, good luck with that."

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-14, 08:42 AM
Yeah, selective spell works.

"You want your magic to work? You're gonna have to grapple me. Yeah, good luck with that."

You still have to get within 10ft of them, which any non-gish will avoid as SOP. Instantaneous conjurations are pretty good anyway so most spellcasters will probably have a few prepared, too.

Not to say that persistent selective AMF is bad. But it's not quite the ultimate defense you portray it as either. That and using it is just asking to be hit with Disjunction, which you probably don't want.

SimonMoon6
2014-09-14, 11:17 AM
Let's assume that the Permanency list of spells has been somehow expanded to include whatever spell you want.

Even instantaneous ones? Could I have a permanent Fireball? Or, better yet, Holy Word?