PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help mie build the super fey friend( warlock/druid)

Chelios
2014-09-13, 03:47 AM
I want to play the a warlock archfey pact and a moon druid.. i need to be the scout/explorer of the party. Hel me build this guy.

Yorrin
2014-09-13, 07:39 AM
Well, you've got several options for where to split the two classes.

Warlock 17/Druid 3- You function mostly as a warlock with wildshape and a handful of druid spells
Warlock 14/Druid 6- Similar to the above, you get Dark Delirium and some tougher wildshape options
Warlock 12/Druid 8- You give up Dark Delirium, but gain the ability to use creatures with fly speed.
Warlock 10/Druid 10- Similar to above but with the added benefit of elemental shapes
Warlock 6/Druid 14- Now you're more of a Druid with your handful of cool warlock-y abilities
Warlock 3/Druid 17- Fully Druid with just a dip in for tome/chain/blade

So a lot depends on what all you want to get out of each class. Keep in mind that with the non-syngergistic stats that your casting on one or both sides wont have very high DCs and/or accuracy.

D1ng
2014-09-14, 08:01 AM
I suddenly have the image of a druid 2 / warlock 3 that transforms into a bear, then summons his pact blade and gets proficiency in it... could be hilarious.

More seriously, Druid / Warlock doesn't have that many synergies I can immediately think of (Pact magic can't be cast when wild shaped, many of the archfey pact spells are already on the warlock spell list etc) but is v cool thematically. For scouting you could either just get your familiar to do it, or use master of many forms / wild shape to turn into whatever animal or humanoid is most appropriate to go unnoticed.

A few synergies I can see that you might want to consider:

- Take two levels of druid first, giving you better proficiency and bear form at lvl 2 - this gives you a big spike in power that mitigates the slower progression of power when taking the next 2 levels of warlock
- Armor of shadows invocation could be useful for giving your low-AC wild shapes mage armor as i think it transfers over when you transform. Disguise self (mask of many faces invocation) could also transfer over and both a) fits the fluff of "i can transform into anything" and b) it could be hilarious to play a disguised bear.
- You could make a quite nice summoner by keeping a 50/50 split of the two classes and using your warlock spell slots to cast conjure woodland beings / conjure animal every fight. Conjure woodland beings can be abused to get 8 pixies which can cast polymorph, sleep and various other nasty spells and fits in nicely with the fey theme (and they could play with your pact of the chain familiar in their spare time)
- Use armor of agathys on yourself (cast with a higher level druid slot) before you wild shape, it doesn't require concentration, the THP will make your wild shape go further and you'll typically get hit alot so it will dish out damage rapidly.
- Concentrate on hex before you enter wild shape, lasts for ages and can improve your damage significantly (esp with the two attacks bear form gives you before anyone else)
- Hit Druid 10 asap and you can pretty much max out on wild shape power by always transforming into an elemental. Wind elemental nets you lots of resistances, can speak and fly, and with mage armor you can get its AC to 18. Resistance will also double your mileage with armor of agathys.
- Taking Warlock 3 at 5th level you could grab pact of the blade and retrain the lvl 2 invocation to thirsting blade, getting an extra attack (which could be useful for some forms, but not sure how it meshes with multi-attack... if the monster manual comes out with a CR2-3 monster with a single, very strong attack this could be amazing)
- Pact of the chain can get you a sprite that will follow you around and use the help action to grant you advantage, and could easily be used to fullfill the scout role better than you yourself probably can. With the right invocation you can speak through your sprite when otherwise incapable (because transformed)
- The beast speak invocation would be fluffy, though it kind of replicates what you can do already

So personally I'd go Druid 2 / Warlock 2 / Druid 8 and then decide which class to pursue from there...
Druid 17 / Warlock 3 for 9th level spells. Druid 10 / Warlock 10 for repeated summoning of allies whilst having a powerful combat form to fall back on.

However I should point out that, Sorcerer 7 / Warlock could be more mechanically viable, with the archfey pact giving you some low level druid spells (such as faerie fire) you could use the polymorph spell to give you that druid feeling... (twinned polymorph yourself and a party member into T-rexes or giant apes).