PDA

View Full Version : The Fete of Frights [IC]

Hazuki
2014-09-13, 11:10 AM
The Fete of Frights

When morning came, Ponyville became abuzz with talk of the visitor in their dreams, and of the Fete of Frights foretold to appear not long after. Many were excited, simply pleased to have something fresh and hopefully non-harmful coming to town, and with the promise of frights that weren't written or actually threatening to nom their bones. Others were absolutely outraged at the implied invasion of their privacy, claiming that the Princesses should have done something about it...before promptly being silenced by people pointing out that ponies who messed up their own dream-advertisement probably weren't going to be a threat. And others were too hungover to care either way.

As the day grew longer and longer, and there was still no sight of anypony setting up tents or attractions, some of the more bored ponies even began to suspect that it was all a hoax, or a prank, intended to unsettle them for a day or two. These ponies were the ones most surprised when a grand collection of trees along the outskirts of Ponyville suddenly dissipated into nothing but air to reveal a mass of tents that had been hiding within the illusion. Sat beneath the setting sun, domed tents, pointy tents, wooden stands and colorful lights, pretty ponies, dress-up ponies, and even a minotaur or two, were gathered amongst a single sign that stretched over the height of the tallest tree, and it read "The Fete of Frights".

Were the apparent materialization of an enter circus not enough, it was at that moment that a little, familiar voice whispered right into the ear of every resident of Ponyville.

"You didn't think I was kidding, did you?"

By the time that the Fete of Frights had arrived, Ace was tucked away in the back room of The Open Book bookstore, sharing drinks with a caramel-maned mare who donned the store-logo'd apron. Just as the whisper echoed across their ears, the Pegasus leaned all the way over the table to peak up over the window, before shrugging her shoulders and looking over to the Changeling.

"I guess the Fete's here." She commented, then settled back into her seat and let her eyes rest on the stallion sitting opposite her. "But I've still got an hour on my shift. I'll meet you there once I'm done; try not to get lynched while I'm gone, y'hear?"

With their momentary farewells uttered, Ace headed away from The Open Book and was gifted with the melodic beauty of Skeleton Key chewing out one of her customers. "No, I don't have any information on the Fete of Frights! They arrived ten seconds ago! Just walk outside!" The rest of the walk to the Fete of Frights was accompanied by somewhat less pleasant company, as the Changeling was blessed with frequent wary looks even as many residents of Ponyville rushed towards the Fete and clogged up the streets, eager to get their tickets before anypony else.

It was after about ten minutes of waiting in line for the foot-traffic jam to finally make its way to the gathering of tents, that Ace spotted another entrance far to the side, where a few other stragglers had wandered to and managed to avoid the majority of the wait. That entrance, guarded by a well-dressed unicorn and a burly minotaur, gave the Changeling his admittance stamp with only a few furrowed brows, and soon he was inside.

A few tents surround Ace as he glances around. By far the largest tent, a domed structure that seems to be woven out of Starlight sits with a few ponies wandering inside, with no more garish a sign than a simple wooden stake buried in the ground, bearing the words "Starlit Charm. Necromancy. 20 Bits." Off to the corner of that tent sits a crimson tent, quite cozy as it sat between two bushes, with magical script elegantly placed all along the side. "Interview a vampire! Only 5 Bits!" And finally, among the trio of tents, there is a stone fountain surrounded by tables adorned with glasses. On a sign sitting beside a slight Earth Pony stallion, the words "Fountain of Doubt" are scrawled.

The whisper came to Cherry Bomb just as he was clocking off of the Ponyville Weather Patrol for the day, the building sitting upon a ground-tethered cloud giving him a fantastic view of the suddenly-appearing Fete of Frights. He's just about to step out of the building when he hears the distinctive whistle of Captain True Believer, the athletically built Pegasus having marched into the Weather Patrol Headquarters just a few minutes prior and gathering the attention of every Patrolman gathered.

"Alright, everypony. I know you're all expecting some leeway tonight, with the Fete in town, and you're going to get it. I'm not going to force any of you to work for what's supposedly a once-in-a-lifetime event." True Believer told them all, her voice booming and authoritative, in no small part to the enchanted Captain's Badge that she proudly donned upon her beret. "Nopony is expected to work tonight. But remember that you're Patrolponies, whether you're wearing the badge or not. I expect all of you to uphold the values of our work. Show integrity. Show honor. Show compassion. And this will be a great night for everypony."

With the end of True Believer's little speech, a few of the gathered Patrolponies cheered, and a few whoops could be heard outside from the Patrolponies currently on duty. Just as Cherry Bomb believed he could step outside of the Headquarters and head to the fair, his path was suddenly stepped across my Captain True Believer. "And no explosions, Cherry Bomb. Not even accidental ones." She added as a final warning to the stallion, before flashing him a smile and departing the tethered cloud for the Fete of Frights.

After stopping at home to drop off his work gear, Cherry was free to have a fun night at the fete! Soaring through the air, the wind blowing cool in his air, it seems like a day's work has kept the sky clear and there'll be almost no aberrant weather to deal with. Indeed, even flying a little higher along his path to the Fete gifts the stallion with only a gentle breeze. It's as he's soaring that his eyes come to rest on the giant sign that almost mounts the fete, stretching across one end in the other and bearing its title in deeply-engraved wood.

But then he spots something. right on the edge of the sign, sitting on the top of the hundred-feet-tall sign, is a speck of white and purple that seems to wobble to and fro. Flying a little closer, Cherry bomb can see that it's a little filly, a blank flank even, with a hefty backpack slung over her shoulders as she wobbles with each step over the sign. Flying a little closer, Cherry even manages to spot the fact that the filly isn't wearing the distinctive scarf that all members of the Fete of Frights seem to be wearing...and she's a unicorn. The fact of her horn becomes ever more important as the filly shivers under a gust of wind, her steps uncertain as she tilts over the edge...

The day was a fairly standard one for Sojourner, besides the gossiping about the Fete of Frights that were going about town. Poking occassionaly at the Everfree Forest, looking around for any magical items that happen to have come into town, and waiting for the new edition of Daring Do's latest book to arrive at The Open Book, the stallion's lust for adventure is sated only be the possibility of an anomaly appearing in Ponyville that night.

After a long day of moving around, Sojourner was prepared to return to The Insomniac's Dream, an inn that hosted him for cheap prices throughout his stay in Ponyville, when the whisper came and everypony knew that The Fete of Frights was in town, just waiting over the horizon. Even were he prepared to sit down for dinner, the Dreamer Family who owned the Inn were already putting on their jackets and preparing to head for the Fete, certain that many treats would be available to them upon arrival.

After a lon walk, and a fair amount of waiting in line, Sojourner finally manages to get into the Fete of Frights through the main entrance, where he lays his eyes upon a collection of three separate tents. One, large and green, sits with a sign outside that bears the name "Turner Tables' Harrowing, 10 Bits", which has quite the line to get into, most of them quite interested in meeting the mare who'd invited them to the Fete to begin with. Yet another tent, this one somewhat larger and rendered with a crimson hue offers the prospect of getting to examine examples of all kinds of unusual creatures from over the world, whether dragon teeth or Windigo essence, the sign says "Museum of Oddities - 5 Bits".

The final tent, open-faced and bearing many tables stocked with labeled glass bottles, seems to have something more of a commotion taking place, as a distraught stallion seems to be raising his voice at the grey-cloaked merchant, whose face is sinking quite visibly under the yelling of the pony. The evidence of the dispute seems quite clear within just a few moments of watching, as a discarded glass bottle sits at the stallion's hooves, the stallion's mane has turned entirely into tentacles, and a nearby sign reads "Aberrant Physiology! 25 Bits a Bottle!" The stallion doesn't seem to be getting any more complacent with the merchant's meek offers, and a nearby guard seems like she's going to march towards the tent very soon if things don't calm down.

"There should be a warning on the label! But there's nothing! Do you think it's funny to trick people into becoming monsters?! How am I meant to go to work like this?! I demand my money back for your faulty product! Your lies! All of you, tricksters and charlatans!"

DigoDragon
2014-09-13, 12:38 PM
Ace Gambit

The fountain grabbed Ace's curiosity. Did they build that here? The changeling walked over to get a close look at the stone object. "I wonder what flavor 'doubt' is?" he pondered aloud to himself.

Hazuki
2014-09-13, 12:43 PM
The fountain was hexagonal in shape, each side equidistant in measure with a circular basin inside, the bottom of which Ace could see clearly through the water, or whatever liquid it was. Reaching out from the center of the fountain was a simple pillar of plainly-hewn stone, which led up to a similarly-styled basin, with little holes drilled through that let the water fall in many tiny waterfalls.

"Why not try some?" The skinny stallion to the side of the fountain suggested, his gaunt face perking up in a slight smile as he watched the stranger's curiosity. "Only two bits a glass."

DigoDragon
2014-09-13, 02:55 PM
Ace

The changeling's curiosity got the better of him. "Well, okay. I'll try it." He paid the two bits from his little satchel and magically lifted one of the glasses to fill with the... whatever this liquid was. If it was just water he was going to feel pretty foalish. He put the glass to his lips and took a sip.

Hazuki
2014-09-13, 02:59 PM
As Ace put the glass to his lips and drank the first sip of it, he felt...nothing. Maybe it wasn't a fountain of doubt, after all. The stallion standing nearby pocketed the two bits and smiled expectantly at the changeling.

DigoDragon
2014-09-13, 07:54 PM
"Hmm," Ace thought to himself. He decided perhaps drinking the whole thing was required. Against his better judgement, he gulped down the rest of the liquid. Ace wiped his lips and set the glass down on the table.

Hazuki
2014-09-14, 08:43 AM
Ace felt just as he had before. The glass empty, the stallion smiling, and the fountain flowing.

DigoDragon
2014-09-14, 09:15 AM
Ace

"I think the doubt is that there isn't anything to this fountain drink," Ace said with a bit of disappointment. "Then again, I did assume instead of asking, so... guess this one was all me." If he felt any more sheepish he'd probably turn into one.

"Well thanks for the refreshment, kind sir." Ace decided to go look around some more on the grounds.

Hazuki
2014-09-14, 03:57 PM
"Welcome." The stallion tipped his head to Ace and started to clean the glass with a clean rag, the telltale squeaking puncutating the Changeling's footsteps among the hustle and bustle that positively echoed throughout the Fete from the busier areas. The other two tents that he'd encountered still seemed to be open, but he could spot other paths that would lead to other areas of the Fete.

Hazuki
2014-09-14, 06:45 PM
Horsedotes

Horsedotes was given ample time to close up his store after the whisper of Turner Tables visited everypony in town, most of his customers, consisting of a select few with particular interests having rushed out of the store in order to visit the Fete and the numerous new pieces of magical paraphernalia that were sure to await them in the ragtag collection of tents. As he left his store, a brief rush of air let him know that the automated magical security system had locked it down for the night.

Luckily, the time spent closing up meant that the streets to the Fete of Frights were relatively clear, safe for the collection of ponies still lining up outside one of the gates to get inside. It was as Horsedotes was looking around, waiting for a chance to get inside the Fete, that he spotted something curious approaching the Fete. It seemed to be a pony, shrouded in heavy robes and a large hat, crawling along the ground from the nearest Ponyville home, quite stealthily indeed, as they seemed to be making their way towards one of the raised barriers that prevented unregistered entry into the Fete.

DigoDragon
2014-09-14, 07:42 PM
Ace

The changeling decided to wander around a bit more before poking into another tent. Ace decided to try a path to the left and venture farther into the festivities.

Observation:
[roll0]
+3 Mind

Total: 5

igordragonian
2014-09-15, 12:19 AM
Horsedotes

Horsedotes almost exploded with excitement. Go! GO already! he was thinking, as the customers left his shop. "Oh, come on! I can’t miss this!" he muttered to himself, leaving the shop messier, than her started to get it ready for close.
He grabbed a saddlebag with note, and ancient earrings with forgotten purpose. As present for Table Turner! Well, at list he believed he putted a note and earrings. However, he could find out later, he putted something else.

He hummed to himself. His eyes widened with curiosity. "Sweet empress Cadenzia Miamore!" he mutters to himself. He started to whistle dramatically, following him with eyes, while standing in line.
That would be glorious day to remember!

Noctemwolf
2014-09-15, 01:45 AM
Sojourner looked about the fair, eyes opened wide as he tried to take in everything around him. So many places to explore, sights to see.... This fair was certainly turning out to be more than expected. Beyond that, he was highly interested in the Illusionary magic that had been hiding the fair; Illusion was a bit of a hobby of his, more so than other types of magic.

his ears perked up as he gets closer to a small argument taking place between the Aberrant tent Merchant and the Cthulhu pony. His ears pined back before straightening again as he approached.

"What kind of potions are these?" he asked nonchalantly, hoping to bring himself into the conversation and maybe help out a little.

can I study the pony or the potions and see if I know anything about what's going on? I plan on making a spell depending on what's going on to see if I can break up the fight.

Regalus
2014-09-15, 08:05 AM
Cherry Bomb had the decency to offer up a sheepish smile once True Believer had given her extra warning to him, "No worries mam, Ah promise not blow up anythin' Ah don't need to," he acquiesced with playful tone and earnest grin, keeping his own excitement in check until after the two parted ways.

It was no secrete that all of Ponyville was all abuzz about their newest arrivals, especially after their noteworthy introduction not long ago, and Cherry Bomb was no exception. After all, if they were willing to use magic that impressive for just advertisement one could only imagine was the troupe had in store for the night's events; if he was lucky, he might even find some among their number he might be able to talk shop with. Certainly such well traveled ponies would have great things to share! All in all, this held the promise of being a night to remember.

Though that potential manifested much faster, and quite differently, than the pegasus had expected; he had barely reached the troupe's grounds before spotting a unicorn filly of all things about to fall of a sign! "Whoa there!" he called out urgently as he sped towards the filly, picking up a light gale to help him reach the filly in the hopes of keeping her from falling over the edge...or hopefully make it easier for him to catch her if he reaches her too late.

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 09:27 AM
Ace

Ace's not-particularly-noteworthy skills of perception decided to take him for a little bit of a tour around the backs of the tents, away from the pre-arranged paths, before they finally settled on just letting him wander where he wanted to. Indeed, it was after the short few moments of being lost that he spotted the path along with a partially opened tent along the way; about twice his height and thin. He had to walk past it to get back to the pathways through the fete, at least, and so he did...

It was as he passed and peeked into the tent that he spotted an Earth Pony mare half-draped in a cloak, who span round at the footsteps and let out a screech. "Gah!" She cried out, tugging the cloak around herself and giving Ace a flash of the distinctive scarf that all members of the Fete of Frights are wearing. "What are you doing here?!"

Horsedotes

Horsedotes got a few askew glances as he yelled and started whistling for no reason, before everypony got back to their business of waiting in line for the Fete. The line was getting smaller and smaller, and he'd be within the Fete soon enough.

Sojourner

With just a spark of magic and a keen eye, Sojourner was able to identify most of the effects of the potions. They seemed to be transfigurative potions, imbued with magic that would alter the physical form of the drinker with a specific mutation, courtesy of the ingredients used. Indeed, they seemed to be quite advanced, as a set of capsules was laid into the base of the bottle, each of them magically rigged to the rim; when the drinker put their lips to it to drink, the pill designed for their race would release, while the others would become inert, thus allowing the potion to affect all different kinds of ponies with that small catalyst.

"C-Cosmetic potio-" The slight mare behind the counter began, but she was predictably cut off by the stallion with tentacle-hair and an angry scowl drawn across his face.

"LIES! They are potions of LIES!" He span his head around to look at Sojourner, his expression softening slightly at the sight of a pony who didn't work at the Fete. It was in that moment that Sojourner recognized him as Scorching Invective, a stallion who didn't frequently interact with other ponies thanks to his duties as a cartographer, but who was a friend of the Dreamer Family who'd been hosting Sojourner for the duration of his stay. Thanks to this, the unicorn had actually heard that he was originally to work under Mayor Mare. It came as quite a shock to everypony when he was given a career change, and he refused to speak of why.

Cherry Bomb

The filly positively leaped into the air upon being detected by Cherry Bomb and his yell, legs flailing in the air as she sought purchase somewhere and only succeeded in landing with a more compromised position than before. It was lucky for the both of them, then, that even Cherry Bomb's wings seemed to be pumping with excitement for the Fete, and easily manipulated every inch of the wind with every little flap they made. The crimson stallion was elegantly sheathed in wind as he darted towards the mare, the bursts of air so elegant that they even seemed to stabilize her position upon the sign.

She gave him quite the unimpressed look as he darted over, her little lips formed into a pout that lost some of its effectiveness, considering how she wibbled and wobbled atop the sign.

http://i.imgur.com/M7u0gES.png

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 11:30 AM
Ace

"Sorry about that," Ace apologized. "Despite my usual appearance I don't mean to startle out-of-towners. I was just familiarizing myself with your fanciful Fete of Frights and found myself... well not quite lost, but I was wandering without aim." Ace just couldn't think of a good synonym for lost that began with F.

"What service or product do you offer here?"

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 11:47 AM
The mare stared at Ace for a few moments longer, hooves patting herself down until she looked somewhat less startled. "I see." She turned in the tent to face the Changeling properly, eyes flickering over his chitinous form for a few moments before she met his eyes. "This is a changing booth. It offers the service of letting one change clothes away from prying eyes."

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 01:42 PM
Ace's smile slowly contracted into a little 'o' shape. "Ah... so it is... yes, well, pardon my intrusion. I'll, uh, leave you to your privacy." He quickly turned around and continued on his way back to the main path. The possibility of getting lynched before Key arrived was not one that Ace thought of taking seriously until now.

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 02:06 PM
"Have a pleasant evening." The mare wished Ace, though her voice wasn't particularly affable, as she watched him leave along another path. Luckily for the stallion, he ended up back in the Fete of Frights proper, beneath one of the massive posts that made up the sign hanging far above his head. Surrounding him was another set of three tents, each with their own sign, and a larger collection of ponies sampling the delights they offered.

One was an open tent, its front spread open to reveal the collection of tables and handily-wrapped up lengths of crystal. A single crystal pony was sitting behind the tables, a bright smile on his lips and a positively glorious sheen to his amber mane, as he saw over his Stall of Spritestones. "Yessiree, these stones will serve all your writing needs from your cradle to your coffin! Need to leave a message just for your loved one? Buy a pink Spritestone and you can share your sweet-nothings away from any peepers! Need to warn your fillies away from a hole in the ground? Orange'll catch their eye and keep your holes filly-free, with none of that garish red tape!" And on he went, extolling the virtues of his writing utensils.

The second tent was small and fairly enclosed, with a mural painted on its side that seemed to represent a dragon of fairly large size, curled up and snoozing. There was even a few puffs of smoke emerging from its closed maw, and the rumbling sound of snoring, as a few ponies lined up outside. The sign above it read The Dragon's Maw - Because who doesn't want to experience being eaten by a dragon?

Unfortunately for the other two tents set up in that portion, most of the guests seemed interested in the largest tent in the trio; a large doorway to enter through, but a simple enchantment was placed over it to prevent anypony from seeing anything but fog from the outside. Above the simple doorway was a sign that read The Unchangeling. From just a few moments of being in the vicinity, a few filly-squeals and swiftly-fleeing ponies could be perceived.

Regalus
2014-09-15, 02:44 PM
"That was a close one! Are you okay?" he stated chipperly with a small grin, trying to keep any strong winds from disturbing the unbalanced young filly as he reached out to her; hoping to give the filly something to hold unto inorder for her to balance herself, "What're ya doin' all the way up here any way, if ya don't mind me askin'?"

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 02:48 PM
Cherry Bomb

The filly glanced at Cherry Bomb's outstretched hoof and left the Pegasus hanging as she adjusted the hefty pack adorning her shoulders. "I'm fine. I was trying to get into the fete and look at all the neat things they have." She said quite proudly, before her voice got a little quieter. "But, uh...my gadget went a bit wrong...but everything's fine. Here. Now. Don't rat on me, 'kay?"

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 03:22 PM
Ace

"Well this I got to see," Ace said to himself after one read of the sign 'The Unchangeling'. He trotted over and got in line for the event, wondering what exactly was inside that had frightened several of the previous visitors.

Regalus
2014-09-15, 03:31 PM
Undaunted, the pegasus lowered his hooves but remained ready to move if she lost her balance again,"Oh! Ya made that yourself? What's it do?" he asked the filly curiously, his interest piqued as he eyed the contraption on her back, "Though ah gotta ask, why not just go in through the front like everypony else?"

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 04:10 PM
Cherry Bomb

"It's not just one thing, silly!" The filly giggles at the Weather Patrolpony, rolling her eyes as she jostles the clinking clanking bag. "It's all my gadgets! And I can't go in with everypony else, 'cause then they'll know it was me who stole their stuff! Duh!"

Ace

Ace had to wait in line for a minute or two before he was up to the fog-filled entrance, quite a few ponies leaving with shaken looks on their faces, though whether that was thanks to the sight or the screeching little fillies, he couldn't be certain. At the entrance, he was asked for five bits before he was allowed entrance, then was allowed into the circular tent, along with the shadows that filled it.

The room itself was cool as the night, and almost as dark to, given the almost complete lack of lightsources for him to see by. He had to move through a few gathered groups of ponies, some of them whispering while others just watched in silence, their faces masked in shifting shadows. At the center of the room, he saw the top half of a cage as he made his way through the crowd; it was made of some kind of metal, the bars spread apart a fair distance, with the telltale shimmer of a forcefield between them, which gave him a clear line of sight to The Unchangeling.

A lanky creature stood inside the cage, its legs of abnormal length for any regular changeling, and covered in onyx chitin that seemed to crack and wheeze with each of the creature's snarling inhales. Two forelegs were braced against the invisible walls of its cage, tipped with claws that made the magic ripple with its touch. Its back legs were hunched beneath the creature as it sat, just as warped as its forelegs, but significantly more muscular. A second set of forelegs rested, or at least seemed to, before a closer inspection revealed no legs...but muscular tentacles that braced it against the ground with untold strength.

Its segmented torso was hunched over as it sat near the edge of its cage, mantled by a pair of blue-black wings, their gossamer length shuddering gently at the each whisper of the visiting ponies. Its tail, almost the length of one of its legs was long and ruffled, curled up beside its hindquarters. Then there was the creature's head, crested by a horn-topped crown of chitin that extended partway down its neck, its eyes tilted and of a curious teal hue, before they lead down to its maw. Bearing more than a simple jaw, two pincers extended from beneath its lower jaw, strong and sharp as they came to a halt just to the side of its extended fangs.

The Unchangeling's eyes were cast downwards, surrounded by the watching ponies, despite the occasional hiss or snarl as somepony wandered close to its cage. It was only as Ace got a good look at it that the creature went still, its eyes grazing over the other ponies and narrowing on the Changeling, its eyes narrowing upon him. Then the creature hissed, louder than it had before, and a long, slithering tongue lashed out of its mouth as it launched itself at the edge of its cage, wings unfurling and pincers scraping at the sizzling magic barrier.

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 06:10 PM
Ace

"Eep!" The changeling jumped back, startled by the creature's sudden aggression. Ace tried to recompose himself quickly, taking a step closer to the cage. "Well, I bet you are cranky because you're in a cage being stared at."

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 06:13 PM
The Unchangeling slowly slipped downwards along the wall of its cage, clawed legs unable to find purchase along the magically-imbued wall, though its eyes remained locked on him. When his words reached its ears, one of the creature's eyes twitched, and its horn suddenly began to pulse violently with unrestrained magic.

Noctemwolf
2014-09-15, 07:18 PM
Sojourner
With just a spark of magic and a keen eye, Sojourner was able to identify most of the effects of the potions. They seemed to be transfigurative potions, imbued with magic that would alter the physical form of the drinker with a specific mutation, courtesy of the ingredients used. Indeed, they seemed to be quite advanced, as a set of capsules was laid into the base of the bottle, each of them magically rigged to the rim; when the drinker put their lips to it to drink, the pill designed for their race would release, while the others would become inert, thus allowing the potion to affect all different kinds of ponies with that small catalyst.

"C-Cosmetic potio-" The slight mare behind the counter began, but she was predictably cut off by the stallion with tentacle-hair and an angry scowl drawn across his face.

"LIES! They are potions of LIES!" He span his head around to look at Sojourner, his expression softening slightly at the sight of a pony who didn't work at the Fete. It was in that moment that Sojourner recognized him as Scorching Invective, a stallion who didn't frequently interact with other ponies thanks to his duties as a cartographer, but who was a friend of the Dreamer Family who'd been hosting Sojourner for the duration of his stay. Thanks to this, the unicorn had actually heard that he was originally to work under Mayor Mare. It came as quite a shock to everypony when he was given a career change, and he refused to speak of why.

Sojourner gave a little laugh, looking at the potion with a small smile. "These are kind of interesting," he said, looking back over to the cthulhuized cartographer. "It's just a polymorphing potion." He looked over at the merchant mare. "How long does the potion last?" He asked her, honestly wondering if he should give one of the potions a try.

Hoping to try and decrease the tension between the two with Sojourner's Small talk, as well as find a solution both ponies will be happy with.
[roll0] I assume +2 for heart, +3 if it uses Mind: so either 10 or 11

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 07:27 PM
Ace

"Wait, please calm down!" Ace pleaded. "Maybe I can help you get out of the cage? I'm sure you're a rational being and we can work this out peacefully!"

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 07:33 PM
Horsedotes

The crawling pony disappeared from the crystal pony's sight by the time he got the entrance proper, his foreleg being stamped for entry with a painless magic sigil before he was allowed entrance. As he looked about the area made available to him, he saw a few curious tents set up. One was plain but wide, home to Handsome Barrow, the unkillable stallion. Another was the Tent of Curious Music, home to many magical instruments with unique properties for whomever played them. And the last was The Memory Box, a tent that allowed ponies to rent memories from ponies all over the world.

Sojourner

I'll let you keep that roll for the duration of this interaction, but its result won't come in yet, as I don't feel those few words are quite enough to calm the situation entirely.

"Permanen-"

"Permanent, you see?! And there are no warnings on the labels!" Scorching yelled abruptly, taking a deep breath after the outburst that even he didn't seem to anticipate coming so quickly.

"Permanent, but dispellable." The mare behind the table finished her sentence while the older stallion took his time to catch his breath. She apparently dared not elaborate, but Sojourner knew enough about magic to know that any Unicorn could cast a simple dispelling charm, and could spot a small collection of dispelling potions just in the corner of the tent.

Ace

The ponies that had been surrounding the cage upon Ace's arrival all seem to have taken a few steps back, or ran away entirely, after the creature's snarling and leaping at the borders of its confinement. One of the Fete ponies who was standing at the entrance and handing out tickets peeked their head in, gave a shrug of their shoulders, and went back to selling their tickets. Apparently, of the remaining ponies, none of them cared enough to attempt to dissuade the Changeling from his course of action.

The Unchangeling's horn seemed to dim at Ace's words, though its eyes remained firmly fixed on him. For the moment, it just breathed heavily, staring at the Changeling and waiting.

Noctemwolf
2014-09-15, 08:32 PM
Sojourner

I'll let you keep that roll for the duration of this interaction, but its result won't come in yet, as I don't feel those few words are quite enough to calm the situation entirely.

"Permanen-"

"Permanent, you see?! And there are no warnings on the labels!" Scorching yelled abruptly, taking a deep breath after the outburst that even he didn't seem to anticipate coming so quickly.

"Permanent, but dispellable." The mare behind the table finished her sentence while the older stallion took his time to catch his breath. She apparently dared not elaborate, but Sojourner knew enough about magic to know that any Unicorn could cast a simple dispelling charm, and could spot a small collection of dispelling potions just in the corner of the tent.

"Exactly," Sojourner affirmed with a firm nod of his head. "Easily dispelled."
Sojourner couldn't quite say Scorching was wrong with his thought- after all, needing a dispelling potion to get rid of the transformation on his own seemed dishonest to him on the merchants part- But he was still overreacting to his appearance change. Soj' honestly thought it hilarious.

"She has a few dispel potions back there to take care of it, but if you like, I can do it for you as well if you don't care for the tentacles," Sojourner said, trying to hide a small smile and keep himself from laughing. "how much for one of these, by the way?" he asked curiously. "The same one he had."

Dispel Polymorph
Target: Individual (+1)
Range: Contact (+1)
Duration: Immediate (+1)
Effect: Diminish (+1)
Subject: Body and Magic (+2)

Used to change a creature back into its original shape if it's been affected by a polymorph effect, diminishing and eliminating the effect entirely.

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 08:41 PM
"I'll believe it when I see it!" Scorching bellowed almost as loudly as he could without yelling, his eyes quite wide indeed and his hooves positively digging into the ground with his stubborn outrage at the effect of the potion. His tentacle-mane even seemed to waggle to and fro with each over-enunciated consonant he formed.

The merchant mare cleared her throat, shifting behind the table so that she was partially blocked from the older stallion's line of sight. "Twenty five bits, Sir."

'Tis approved.

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 08:50 PM
Ace

"Who's in charge of this show?" Ace called out, looking around to find someone who worked the Fete. "I want to know what this being's living conditions are like because it looks like he, or she, is living a miserable life in a cage!"

Ace calmed down a bit, still looking around. "Ironically, I was told to expect fear and scares and this is one of them by proxy. To be caged like an animal." He shuddered at the thought.

Noctemwolf
2014-09-15, 08:54 PM
"I'll believe it when I see it!" Scorching bellowed almost as loudly as he could without yelling, his eyes quite wide indeed and his hooves positively digging into the ground with his stubborn outrage at the effect of the potion. His tentacle-mane even seemed to waggle to and fro with each over-enunciated consonant he formed.

The merchant mare cleared her throat, shifting behind the table so that she was partially blocked from the older stallion's line of sight. "Twenty five bits, Sir."

'Tis approved.

A-alright, calm down, just stand still," Sojourner said, ears folded back slightly as he stumbled over his words. He came forward, horn glowing green as he tapped it on Scorching's head.

[roll0] +3 [10]

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 09:03 PM
Ace

The pony standing just outside of the tent let out an audible sigh, even through the fog, as Ace yelled out for somepony's aid or conversation. After a few words given to the ponies still lined up, he trotted in with a puffed up chest and looked at the few ponies that remained in the room with Ace. "Alright, everypony out while I deal with the Changeling. Speed up now, you never know what they'll do when they're angry." He told them coolly, and they each gave Ace a frightened look before hustling out of the tent.

"Now. What was it you wanted? The boss is Madame Skriva, and I don't want to hassle her just because you felt like being a drama queen." He asked of Ace, his face looking slightly irked and ready to roll his eyes at whatever it was the Changeling was going to say. The Unchangeling backed away slightly in its cage, bowing its head to the ground and breaking eye contact with the stallion.

Sojourner

The spell worked with only minor difficulty on Sojourner's part, the magic washing over the older stallion and shifting his head of tentacles with a gentle pop, and he was back to his lustrous mane of grey hair. He glowered at the unicorn for a moment, glanced at his reflection in one of the bottles, then gave an awkward cough.

"Right. Uh. Thank you..." He stood there in silence for a moment before shuffling off, quite deflated.

Regalus
2014-09-15, 09:22 PM
"Soooo, ya wanna go in their to swipe everypony's stuff then?" he inquires with a raised brow, unsure if he had heared her properly or not.

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 09:24 PM
Cherry Bomb

"Right!" The filly grinned enthusiastically. Then looked down, then back up. "I mean. Maybe. What's it to you?"

Regalus
2014-09-15, 09:39 PM
"Well I'm sorta curious 'botu why you'd wanna swipe stuff tonight, when you've got a bag full of gadgets, and these folks are only staying here for the night. Ya can swipe stuff any day of the week, but these guy's won't be 'round half that long. So shouldn't ya try enjoying'em while ya can?" he inquired with earnest curiosity, seemingly unphased by the filly's proclamation.

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 09:42 PM
"Nono, you don't get it, Mister." The filly gave a slight shake of her head, purple curls bouncing up and down in the gentle breeze that Cherry Bomb had conjured. "These ponies are gonna have stuff that I can't steal from anypony else. I mean, have you seen Mayor Mare's bedroom? There's just gross lady things in there. But these ponies," She gave an unsteady wave of her hoof at the Fete below. "Have neat, new things! I saw a pony that looked like a bug! I want some of that!"

Regalus
2014-09-15, 10:00 PM
"Ya know, lots of the stuff they have is pretty dangerous; so if ya swipe the wrong thing ya might end up in some pretty hot waters, 'specially if they find out you swiped from'em after wards. So if ya want some neat stuff, why not just buy some of the stuff their sellin'; that way ya won't have to worry about swipin' the wrong thing, and havin' it blow up in your face," he reasoned, trying to get the filly to err on the side of caution. "Ah mean, you say Mrs Table's right; they've got stuff that let's ya dream walk sure, but that just means they've got tons of dangerous stuff too. Like what if ya take a potion that let's ya dreamwalk, but ya don't know ya need somepony to wake you up by smellin' onions or something; or otherwise you're get stuck like that. Or if you grab the wrong charm bracelet, and end up gettin' turned into a newt for your trouble,"

"Those folks might be peddlin' wonders of straight of a dream; but that means they can be right nightmares if ya let the wrong one loose,"

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 10:07 PM
The filly stared at Cherry Bomb throughout his little speech, her face seeming quite bored at the beginning of it, though it slowly began to shift as it became quite clear that he wasn't going to stop. By the end of his explanation, her face was downcast, and her eyes were just slightly watery.

"Aww, gee, Mister..." She sniffled at the air, looking anywhere but at the Pegasus' eyes. "I didn't ever think about it that way, but...I don't have any bits to go around anyway..." She carefully adjusted the sack of gadgets on her back. "I cobble t'gether most of my stuff and don't live with nopony...I sleep in Sweet Apple Acres most o' the time and I've only got a bit o' magic t'stay fed and such..." She looked up at the patrolpony with big, watery eyes, her sweet little voice pleading. "P-Please Mister, I'll do right if ye'll just buy me some of that stuff..."

DigoDragon
2014-09-15, 10:10 PM
Ace

"Look, it's just that... This poor unchangelings is so unhappy being locked up in that cage," Ace explained. "Do you know what it's like getting stares and watching folks walk around you the long way 'cause you look different. Have you asked this poor being about its feelings?"

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 10:14 PM
Ace

The stallion stared at Ace for a few moments, then glanced over at the Unchangeling, before looking back. His brow twisted into a gentle frown before he gave a shake of his head. "No. 'Cause I'm normal. But let me ask you something, mate; do you know what an Unchangeling is? It's easy to go around with a bleeding heart, but unless y'know what you're talking about, it isn't going to get you anywhere."

Noctemwolf
2014-09-15, 11:50 PM
Ace

The pony standing just outside of the tent let out an audible sigh, even through the fog, as Ace yelled out for somepony's aid or conversation. After a few words given to the ponies still lined up, he trotted in with a puffed up chest and looked at the few ponies that remained in the room with Ace. "Alright, everypony out while I deal with the Changeling. Speed up now, you never know what they'll do when they're angry." He told them coolly, and they each gave Ace a frightened look before hustling out of the tent.

"Now. What was it you wanted? The boss is Madame Skriva, and I don't want to hassle her just because you felt like being a drama queen." He asked of Ace, his face looking slightly irked and ready to roll his eyes at whatever it was the Changeling was going to say. The Unchangeling backed away slightly in its cage, bowing its head to the ground and breaking eye contact with the stallion.

Sojourner

The spell worked with only minor difficulty on Sojourner's part, the magic washing over the older stallion and shifting his head of tentacles with a gentle pop, and he was back to his lustrous mane of grey hair. He glowered at the unicorn for a moment, glanced at his reflection in one of the bottles, then gave an awkward cough.

"Right. Uh. Thank you..." He stood there in silence for a moment before shuffling off, quite deflated.

Sojourner smiled wide. "Anytime," he says, before turning back to the merchant. "So, twenty five bits you say?" he asks to make sure as he hands over the right amount.

I will have spent willpower to power the spell.

Hazuki
2014-09-15, 11:55 PM
Sojourner

"Twenty five bits." The slight mare behind the table confirmed with a nod of her head, a slight smile spread across her lips as she accepted and counted them up. "And thank you. If you don't mind indulging a merchant a little more, why do you want the tentacl-y hair? Even I think that's one of the less interesting ones."

Noctemwolf
2014-09-16, 12:41 AM
Sojourner

"Twenty five bits." The slight mare behind the table confirmed with a nod of her head, a slight smile spread across her lips as she accepted and counted them up. "And thank you. If you don't mind indulging a merchant a little more, why do you want the tentacl-y hair? Even I think that's one of the less interesting ones."

"Oh? there are others? What kinds do you have?" Sojourner asked, his smile a little wider as he perused through. "I'm just curious, that's all. it could be kind of fun for a while, who knows?"

igordragonian
2014-09-16, 06:15 AM
Horsedotes

He waited in the line. It was so hard to wait!
Horsedotes eyed the mysteriouse pony, waiting for him to act.

DigoDragon
2014-09-16, 07:42 AM
Ace

"Yes, of course," Ace confidently replied. "They are... a... like he is. A type of changeling, I think?"

Hazuki
2014-09-16, 08:23 AM
Sojourner

"Well..." The merchant took in a deep breath. "There's pincers, chitin, tails, mouths, fangs, claws, scales, slime glands, feelers with riders, horns, chameleon, lengtheners, eyes, noses, udders, antlers, stingers, plating, antennae, vestigial wings, spores, pheromones, tentacles, inksacs, mandibles, gills, fins, symbiotes, and more."

Ace

"Obviously." The stallion drawled. "From what I've been told, they're what happens when momma and papa changeling aren't compatible. Stress, too much changin', or they just plain don't like each other...they stop makin' bugs like you and start makin' freaks like her. And your ruler's the one that kicks them out, 'cause they don't have a proper Changeling mind and can't change. It's a freak even by the standards of your kin, and you'd be right to doubt there's anything but an animal between those eyes."

DigoDragon
2014-09-16, 09:48 AM
Ace

"Oh, a she. Okay, but... she just... I mean I feel like she understood me. Surely there's more intelligence than an animal? Isn't there?" Ace was starting to doubt himself that he could help this poor creature out.

Hazuki
2014-09-16, 10:15 AM
"Ever had a dog? Or some kind of pet? Animals can learn plenty of words by being around ponies." The stallion gave a light sigh. "Listen, mate, I get what you're sayin'. But that thing's an animal, pure an' simple. An' it's safer stayin' locked up in that cage, for it and for everypony around here."

DigoDragon
2014-09-16, 10:42 AM
Ace

The changeling gave the creature one last look before admitting defeat. "You're probably right. Sorry I got so worked up about it." He left the exhibit and looked for a suitable place to sit a minute. Ace doubted he was having much fun here at the Fete, not after making an ass of himself at the unchangeling tent. And the little embarrassing moment at the changing tent. He guessed that the Fountain of Doubt was actually working now. Well that's one out of three at least!

Perhaps Ace was going about this place too blindly. Maybe if he was with somepony he knew, he'd enjoy the Fete more? That was an idea! After all, so many ponies were already here, there had to be somepony around who would hang out with him. Ace perked up a tiny bit and flapped his iridescent wings. He hovered slightly above the crowds, looking for someone he recognized.

Noctemwolf
2014-09-16, 02:15 PM
Sojourner

"Well..." The merchant took in a deep breath. "There's pincers, chitin, tails, mouths, fangs, claws, scales, slime glands, feelers with riders, horns, chameleon, lengtheners, eyes, noses, udders, antlers, stingers, plating, antennae, vestigial wings, spores, pheromones, tentacles, inksacs, mandibles, gills, fins, symbiotes, and more."

"hmmm..." He thought about it for a few minutes, looking between all the different ones. "Actually, scales would be kind of cool.... One potion with the scales, please." He asked.

Hazuki
2014-09-16, 02:37 PM
Ace

A few of the Pegasi guards tilted their heads up as they spotted Ace hovering above the crowds, and he managed to spot the pony who'd talked him out of the Unchangeling tent was returning to his post, another line already forming to visit the creature. He managed to spot plenty of other ponies who he'd seen around Ponyville, the size of the town and living there making such an inevitability, but not many with whom he had a particularly pleasant relationship with.

It seemed as though getting lost, spending some time at the Fountain of Doubt, taking some time to get to the Fete, and lining up for the Unchangeling and the following confrontation, benefited him slightly, as his big buggy eyes found themselves upon Skeleton Key. Approaching from the same entrance as him, the one to the Fountain of Doubt, the Pegasus' caramel hair was held back in a pretty white headband, and her muscular legs were carrying her past the gate at a lazy pace.

Sojourner

"Here you go, Sir." The mare beamed at Sojourner as she handed him one of the bottles, the clear white label distinctly inked with the word "Scales". The bottle was about half the size of a hoof, made of glass, while the liquid inside was a dark crimson with the consistency of water. "It's safe as a daisy and much tastier. Enjoy the rest of the Fete!"

Noctemwolf
2014-09-16, 02:43 PM
Sojourner

"Here you go, Sir." The mare beamed at Sojourner as she handed him one of the bottles, the clear white label distinctly inked with the word "Scales". The bottle was about half the size of a hoof, made of glass, while the liquid inside was a dark crimson with the consistency of water. "It's safe as a daisy and much tastier. Enjoy the rest of the Fete!"

"Thanks!" He replies with a smile before moving away from the booth, drinking his potion and looking around to see what other interesting places he might be able to visit. there was that Museum of Oddities, or Turner tables... Harrowing? He wasn't quite certain what that meant, but, maybe he could go there. It was a long line, but he was willing to wait, he thought, as he headed to the line for Turner Table's tent.

Hazuki
2014-09-16, 02:57 PM
The potion went down Sojourner's throat with relative ease, the gloriously sweet taste of strawberries blessing his tongue as he felt the gentle tingle of magic overtake him. They started in his stomach, as nothing but little sparks, but as moments went by, they began to expand, almost like little buzzing tentacles were reaching out from his stomach to stroke along his insides, push against his skin almost like he was a pony-sized womb. Then a deep shudder rippled through his spine, forcing him to lock his legs to keep from falling over, as a fresh wave of magic rolled over him from snout to flank, and his nice warm coat of fur felt significantly more firm. With a brief glance over himself, he saw that he was adorned with multitudes of crimson scales where his fur should have been.

DigoDragon
2014-09-16, 02:59 PM
Ace

The changeling flew over to meet with Key. He landed besides her and smiled. "I am really glad to see you!" Ace chirped happily. "This place is really confusing and that alone makes it a bit scary."

Noctemwolf
2014-09-16, 04:03 PM
"Sweet." Sojourner said, looking himself over. The potions effects had... Certainly felt strange, but the effect was worth it in his mind. "I'm almost like a dragon..." he stuck out his tongue, slightly disappointed it wasn't forked. "Aww... Maybe later." he said with a chuckle as he stood in line, waiting, ocassionally running a hoof along his new scales.

igordragonian
2014-09-16, 06:31 PM
Horsedotes

he blinked at the strange acts of the mysteriouse pony. Maybe he'l find him again later, and ask him about his actions.
"It's so exciting!" he squeals, starting to write in his... old notebook. In this notebook wasn't room for new writings. But it didnt stopped him, because he didnt noticed it yet.
After a minute he walking into the tent where he could borrow memories!
So much information from over all the world!

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 11:13 AM
Ace

Skeleton Key raised an eyebrow at suddenly being greeted from the heavens, but gave a slight smile when she noticed it was Ace. "Hey." She listened to his explanation and rolled her eyes. "Don't worry, Ace. I'll protect you from the scary navigation monster." She teased, glancing around at the signs that surrounded the trio of them. "What do you want to see first?"

Sojourner

The ponies waiting in line alongside Sojourner gave the stallion a few curious looks, as he stroked his own scales and spoke to himself, but not enough to actually move away from the line. After a fair few minutes of waiting, and managing to stay somewhat entertained by the noises that were coming from other parts of the Fete, he was finally allowed past the pony at the entrance to Turner Tables' tent.

Within a few steps, the scaled pony was embraced by luxurious organic incense that overwhelmed him for only a moment before becoming pleasantly subtle. Inside the tent, the atmosphere was quite dark indeed, with the only light being a few hovering little orbs of light that seemed to trail along the outermost edges of the floor, and casted their shadows against the ceiling of the tent. The floor was covered with a rich red carpet, along with a few scattered cushions, along with a low, but wide table that sat close to the back of the tent. A larger pillow, fit for sitting on, sat on one side.

On the other side of the table sat the very same pony that Sojourner had been visited by in the dream; Turner Tables, with her braided hair, her broken horn, and a deck of decorated cards sitting beside her right hoof.

"Hello," Turner slid her hoof across the face-down card of the deck, which shimmered slightly before flipping over and revealing a drawing of two ponies, of opposite colors, staring at each other. "Oh, that's hardly fair, is it? I can see that plain as day on your cutie mark." The mare chuckled and flipped another card from the top of a deck, revealing a pony clutching their head as they ran away from skeletons beneath an eclipse. "Ah, wonderful. Cowardice, the failure to live up to the standards set up by somepony, an excuse for why you can't match them, and the inevitable spiral of guilt that comes when you fail at the time you need it most."

"Do I have your interest yet?" She asked, but didn't wait for an answer. "Let's see who stands atop your spiral." She flipped over another card, which shimmered under her touch and revealed a pony with the lower body of a snake. "A liar. A mare with treacherous love that ultimately leads to destruction. How well do you know Compass Rose?" She chuckled once more, though it wasn't mocking...it came off like excitement, if anything, before she met Sojourner's eyes.

"Welcome to Harrowing. Where a pony learns the truth, even if they're too scared to accept it. Take a seat." She gestured to the pillow opposite her.

Horsedotes

A simple tent with a simple stallion waited inside the tent, surrounded by clear glass jars that seemed to contain flitting little fireflies. "What'd you like?" The gruff stallion asked, a heavy accent tinting his words.

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 12:16 PM
Ace

The changeling looked around. "Let's see, I tried the Fountain of Doubt. That was a disappointment. I think the 'doubt' comes in when you wonder if there was anything to it. The Unchangeling is... well it's bizarre and uncomfortable. I'll leave it at that. I haven't interviewed the vampire or tried the Necromancy, but the latter one is 20 bits. Not sure I want to blow that much money on it. Haven't gone to that side of the Fete either, I don't think." Ace pointed toward the less familiar side opposite where he was last wandering around.

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 12:21 PM
Ace

"Hmm." Skeleton Key looked around the trio of tents once more, then followed Ace's pointed hoof before she shrugged her wings and gave him a gentle pat on the shoulder. "You've mentioned that you want to learn a lot of magic, and the nohorn mentioned there are rewards for ponies who figure out the Fete's tricks. I'll buy you a trip to the Necromancer if it means you get a little closer to your life's goal." She paused. "I mean buying a ticket. Not killing you."

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 01:14 PM
Ace

The changeling chuckled a little. "Heh, yeah, the ticket," he repeated. "Well, thank you Key. That's really nice of you. sure, let's go check it out!" Ace walk over with Key to the Necromancer's tent.

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 02:13 PM
"You're welcome." Key said without many further comments, walking along the side of the comparatively slender Changeling as they got to the large black tent that dominated the area. Inside, many cushions were set around the tent to give everypony in attendance a comfortable seat, as a gently glowing hourglass hung from the ceiling, the sand trickling down and counting down the time until the show would begin. Quite a few ponies were gathered, many of them chattering among themselves as the supposed star of the show sat on her own cushion at the front of the stage, watching the crowd and answering a few questions sent her way.

Starlit Charm seemed to be very tall indeed, with slender limbs that almost made it seem like she'd never walked anywhere, but one of the more magnificent unicorn horns that Ace had ever seen. Her fur was a pleasant midnight blue, while her mane was stark white and curly as it framed her elegant face. Her most distinctive feature was her eyes, almost entirely black, as they looked over the attending ponies.

http://i.imgur.com/x9jfoDx.png

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 03:28 PM
Ace

The changeling had a little bit of horn envy when he saw Starlit Charm. He was still trying to figure out what ponies would classify as 'pretty', but a long slender horn for spellcasting seemed pretty statuesque to him. Ace glanced upwards to his own short, curved horn. Hmm, perhaps he was wrong about this place and the 20 bits would be worth the experience. He sat quietly and attentive to see what secrets Starlit was willing to share.

igordragonian
2014-09-17, 05:30 PM
"What I'd like?" Horsedotes repeating with charmed tone.
He looks like filly in candy shop. "mmm... wow. How about... you tell me, HOW do you collect memories? It's a fantastic feat!"

Noctemwolf
2014-09-17, 06:23 PM
Sojourner

The ponies waiting in line alongside Sojourner gave the stallion a few curious looks as he stroked his own scales and spoke to himself, but not enough to actually move away from the line. After a fair few minutes of waiting, and managing to stay somewhat entertained by the noises that were coming from other parts of the Fete, he was finally allowed past the pony at the entrance to Turner Tables' tent.

Within a few steps, the scaled pony was embraced by luxurious organic incense that overwhelmed him for only a moment before becoming pleasantly subtle. Inside the tent, the atmosphere was quite dark indeed, with the only light being a few hovering little orbs of light that seemed to trail along the outermost edges of the floor, and casted their shadows against the ceiling of the tent. The floor was covered with a rich red carpet, along with a few scattered cushions, along with a low, but wide table that sat close to the back of the tent. A larger pillow, fit for sitting on, sat on one side.

On the other side of the table sat the very same pony that Sojourner had been visited by in the dream; Turner Tables, with her braided hair, her broken horn, and a deck of decorated cards sitting beside her right hoof.

"Hello," Turner slid her hoof across the face-down card of the deck, which shimmered slightly before flipping over and revealing a drawing of two ponies, of opposite colors, staring at each other. "Oh, that's hardly fair, is it? I can see that plain as day on your cutie mark." The mare chuckled and flipped another card from the top of a deck, revealing a pony clutching their head as they ran away from skeletons beneath an eclipse. "Ah, wonderful. Cowardice, the failure to live up to the standards set up by somepony, an excuse for why you can't match them, and the inevitable spiral of guilt that comes when you fail at the time you need it most."

"Do I have your interest yet?" She asked, but didn't wait for an answer. "Let's see who stands atop your spiral." She flipped over another card, which shimmered under her touch and revealed a pony with the lower body of a snake. "A liar. A mare with treacherous love that ultimately leads to destruction. How well do you know Compass Rose?" She chuckled once more, though it wasn't mocking...it came off like excitement, if anything, before she met Sojourner's eyes.

"Welcome to Harrowing. Where a pony learns the truth, even if they're too scared to accept it. Take a seat." She gestured to the pillow opposite her.

Sojourner's smile faltered as Turner Table's harrowing continued, moving through an array of emotions; First some level of amusement as she flipped the first card, moving toward her. Confusion and some level of fear as his steps faltered with her second card. Finally standing stock still as Turner spoke his mother's name.

He wasn't quite sure how to answer her...

"How do you know my mother? I've never really heard of you until today..." he asked in a quiet voice, some vein of curiosity still running through his words. He almost wanted to turn around right now and leave the tent, but at the same time... She had definitely caught his interest.

He wasn't sure which one was the better choice.

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 06:57 PM
Ace

"So." Starlit's voice was soft, but cold, as it echoed across the croud with the ease of any experienced public speaker. "Who here has experience with necromantic magic?" She asked, and not a single hoof in the audience was raised. There was some slight rustling as Skeleton Key settled in beside Ace, her unimpressed look settling on the unicorn. "Unsurprising. Who here has experience with animation - of tools, toys, and so on?" That time, a few hooves did shoot up, and she gave a nod of her head. "And are any of you willing to come up here, to assist and confirm that what I'm doing is not merely extravagant animation?" Once again, the audience was hesitant.

Horsedotes

"You take a head thinking of a memory. You cast a spell on it. You transfer the spell to a potion. The potion gestates into a wisp with only that memory." The stallion answered plainly. "You catch the wisp in a jar. Then you touch the jar and get the memory...temporarily."

Sojourner

"The cards told me. Well, sort of. Well, not really. The cards are just a focus for my Harrowing, which is how I know your mother." Turner explained with a smile on her face, as she watched the uncertainty play out across the stallion's face. "But tell you more? I can't! It's bad for business if anypony else knows how to Harrow, don't you think? But you're more than welcome to continue being Harrowed. It's what you paid for!"

Noctemwolf
2014-09-17, 07:07 PM
Sojourner

"The cards told me. Well, sort of. Well, not really. The cards are just a focus for my Harrowing, which is how I know your mother." Turner explained with a smile on her face, as she watched the uncertainty play out across the stallion's face. "But tell you more? I can't! It's bad for business if anypony else knows how to Harrow, don't you think? But you're more than welcome to continue being Harrowed. It's what you paid for!"

"Might as well get my bit's worth, huh?" He said with a nervous smile, following her words and sitting on the pillow opposite her, but definitely wary.

Can I make a roll to see if I know much of anything about the type of magic she's using? [roll0] so [11]

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 07:22 PM
"I find Harrowing to be a somewhat more enjoyable experience if you ask the questions. I'd hate to bring up trauma for you...unless you ask for it, of course." Turner flashed another grin at the sitting unicorn, as she slid the three drawn cards a little further across the table, so she had room to draw more. "What would you like to know?"

Harrowing is an incredibly obscure form of magic, with a select few ponies in history who are noted to have known about it. And those that have guarded that knowledge securely. Unfortunately, it seem as though Sojourner can't recall anything else about Harrowing.

Noctemwolf
2014-09-17, 07:42 PM
"I find Harrowing to be a somewhat more enjoyable experience if you ask the questions. I'd hate to bring up trauma for you...unless you ask for it, of course." Turner flashed another grin at the sitting unicorn, as she slid the three drawn cards a little further across the table, so she had room to draw more. "What would you like to know?"

Harrowing is an incredibly obscure form of magic, with a select few ponies in history who are noted to have known about it. And those that have guarded that knowledge securely. Unfortunately, it seem as though Sojourner can't recall anything else about Harrowing.

Sojourner looked down at the cards, thinking for a moment over what she'd said, looking at the cards, particularly the snake bottom pony...

"I would think I knew my mother fairly well... An explorer, always out on some new adventure, but she loved us, especially when she was home," He said, looking between the cards again before looking over to Turner. "She was a lot like Daring Do from those adventure stories..."

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 07:56 PM
"I'm not hearing a question, dear..." Turner commented, her hooves folding over one another on top of the table.

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 07:59 PM
Ace

"And are any of you willing to come up here, to assist and confirm that what I'm doing is not merely extravagant animation?"

Ace put up his hoof, quite interested in getting a close view of the magic this mare was going to perform. "I am very willing," he said happily.

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 08:14 PM
Ace

A great weight seemed to be lifted off of the shoulders of the audience as Ace volunteered, the mare on the stage shifting her gaze over to the Changeling and eyeing him for a few moments. "Very well. Come to the stage, Changeling, tell me your name, and your magical background." Starlit instructed him. With that, she got to her hooves and whistled over her shoulder. Once the whistle finished, a dove flew up from beneath the stage, a sack held between its claws that it soon placed beside her.

"Be careful." Skeleton Key urged Ace in a whisper, her face locked in its almost-perpetual frown.

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 08:22 PM
Ace

The changeling nodded once to Key and then flew over the audience to land by Starlit. He beamed. "I am Ace Gambit, and as a changeling magic is in my blood. Besides the ability my kind is known for, I know some illusions and effects," he said, feeling a bit proud (and confident) of his abilities.

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 08:48 PM
"Then I expect you're more than comfortable with casting your own magic detection spell." Starlit replied, as the audience went just a little more silent when the stage was occupied by both a Changeling and an unusual unicorn. She whistled once more, and the dove perched upon her shoulder. "Cast one now, and tell me what you see."

No need to make your own spell for this, if you don't want to. I'll assume it has effects similar to the All-Purpose Artifact-Poker. Open the spoiler depending on the result of your Magic roll.

The most immediate thing that Ace can detect is that the dove has a far greater magical aura than any dove should. Indeed, further examination reveals that the dove's aura seems to match that of an Earth Pony, not a dove. The same magic that infuses an Earth Pony's bones seems to rest within the muscles of the dove...something that Ace knows is impossible, as only an Earth Pony spirit, or that of an Alicorn, can possess that exact magic

Looking past the lone Earth Pony spirit that seems to be bound to the dove, Ace can detect that none of the innate magic of a dove remains. Instead, there seems to be some kind of binding enchantment cast upon the dove, one that keeps a constant pull on the spirit that's infusing the rest of its form. It's similar to regular animation, in that it has its base in binding an aspect of magic to the desired object, but far more complex. Inded, normally animation involves the caster attaching a sticky part of their own magic, their own power to an object, but this enchantment is not nearly so generous. All it seems to do is attach, restrain, and bind.

The color of this magic is black.

Digging even deeper into the magic bound to the dove, Ace can see that the enchantment has echoes of something beyond the Earth Pony magic and the necromantic binding. It's among the purest aspects of magic, in that it's a singular emotion, that seems to have been the catalyst for the binding enchantment's existence. The thing that allowed it to be cast, and so powerfully, to begin with. In this case, it's a bittersweet joy.

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 09:30 PM
Ace

"Sure thing!" Ace said with a little flair. He lowered his horn a bit and concentrated to pull forth the magic around him into a detection spell.

Spellcasting Roll~
Spellcasting: [roll0]
+3 Mind

Total: 9 (So close!)

(What's the casting cost?)
(Blaster caster roll: [roll1])

Cost reduced from 8 to 5, paying using Will.

The changeling looks around. He focused on the dove. "I see... I can see an aura around your dove, miss. A strong one, like... earth pony strong. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Its aura is like an earth pony."

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 09:52 PM
"That's because she is an Earth Pony." Starlit stated with cool confidence. "More specifically, she is the corpse of a dove imbued with the spirit of an Earth Pony. Her heart does not beat, her blood does not flow, yet she moves. If she could speak, she would surely do so." A few gasps were heard in the crowd, and more than a few dissenting whisperers.

"But nopony can be certain. I will demonstrate how deceased this dove is. Lay on the cushion, wings spread." Starlit instructed the dove, which proceeded to do just that. The unicorn retrieved a sharp-edged knife from her mane and held it aloft with magic, trotting up to the side of the cushion and gazing at the dove. In those few moments, Ace's paying close attention seemed to pay off, as he noticed numerous little things that less perceptive ponies might not have.

With a very subtle movement of her lips, Starlit whispered to the dove. "Forgive me." There was the slightest of tears in her eyes, which were soon blinked away, and the little dove responded with a brief nod of its head. The unicorn drove the tip of the blade into the dove's stomach and slid it downwards, slicing it open. The changeling could see the dove wince, but its talons clenching as though restraining a cry of pain, and then its stomach was open, to reveal the complete lack of guts inside. There was only its skeleton and skin.

Quite a few of the ponies in the audience went silent at this, quite convinced of the bird's authenticity. "Prove that you are able to function." Starlit declared, and the dove did just that, its wincing passed entirely as it flitted up into the air, flapping its wings and hovering with relative ease. "Now you see that I've demonstrated proof of my necromantic abilities, you likely think me a sadist. The pain was momentary, I assure you." She gave a wave of her horn, as it pulsed briefly black before a similar aura surrounded the dove's split belly, and closed the sliced skin with nary a mark remaining.

"Any questions, Ace?"

That last spell was simply a mending spell, which do not work on living creatures, and is most often used on dresses, furniture, and other inanimate objects.

DigoDragon
2014-09-17, 10:00 PM
Ace

The changeling had a hard time taking his eyes off the dove. "So, the bird's body is just skin, feathers, and bone... but it feels pain. Can the earth pony feel any other emotions?"

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 10:12 PM
"Of course. In this case, the spirit has been bound fully sapient. In other cases, it's possible to simply use the spirit for energy, or to use non-sapient creatures to bind to bodies."

igordragonian
2014-09-18, 12:15 AM
Horsedotes

"It's amazing!" he saying with excitment. "Wow! So... do you got here, some intresting memories?!" he asking looking around.
he stops. "Oh. Excuse me." he bowing. "My name is Horsedotes the world researcher. What it your?" he asking politly.

DigoDragon
2014-09-18, 06:58 AM
Ace

The changeling couldn't help but momentarily ponder the implication of 'zombie food'. Though an attempt to test that idea right now was probably not a smart one, so he didn't bring the idea up. "Amazing. So, do you know this former pony? Is she or he okay with being in a dove's body?"

Hazuki
2014-09-18, 12:46 PM
Horsedotes

"I'm the Memory Merchant. Be sure to remember that." The stallion answered, as he idly looked around the tent and leaned back in his chair. "I've got memories of all kinds of creatures. What'd you be interested in?"

Ace

"Yes. Yes. But I'd prefer that we keep the conversation to academia, however flattering your interest in my personal business is." Starlit answered, fixing Ace with a stare.

DigoDragon
2014-09-18, 01:19 PM
Ace

"Okay, then how long does the binding magic last?" Ace said, switching topic without missing a beat. "Do you have to maintain it, or does it feed off some ambient source to keep going?"

Hazuki
2014-09-18, 01:32 PM
"The magic is as permanent as you or I. So long as the spirit is there, and the form can contain it, the magic will persist." Starlit explained, as she lifted the sack with a black aura and emptied its contents, which seemed to be the complete skeleton of an Earth Pony, most of the bones having been scattered around during its transport. Quite a few of the members of the audience groaned or averted their eyes as the skeletal corpse appeared on stage.

"Necromancy requires a spirit, whether you're reviving a bird or a dragon. While my assistant has an Earth Pony spirit, doing so often requires unsavory methods to acquire said spirit to begin with. Fortunately for most budding necromancers, animal spirits are in abundance, and far more easily tamed. Their simple needs and desires make binding their spirit a simple task." She explained to the audience, then looked back to Ace. "Would you like to assist in binding a spirit to this skeleton?"

DigoDragon
2014-09-18, 02:02 PM
Ace

The changeling was enthralled with the opportunity to experience such an interesting form of magic. "Yes, I would be honored to assist!" he said eagerly. "What do you wish me to do?"

Noctemwolf
2014-09-18, 03:07 PM
"I'm not hearing a question, dear..." Turner commented, her hooves folding over one another on top of the table.

"Um..." He wasn't sure if there was anything he wanted to know, or if he even believed that any of this was believable to begin with. Even if it was just for fun, it would probably bring up bad memories... But that card with the half snake pony was still trailing in his memory, still staring at him up from the table.

"Was my mother who she said she was...?" he asked. "Was she an explorer? I've seen all the books she had."

igordragonian
2014-09-18, 05:13 PM
"Well..." he tapping his chin. "How about... your memories!? It must be something facinating!"
he nodding excitingly. "OK?" asking.

Hazuki
2014-09-18, 06:58 PM
Ace

"I believe that thinking of an animal would be suitable, and providing some raw magical energy." Starlit explained, trotting along the stage to stand beside the eager Changeling. "I will be able to refine the raw energy into what is necessary for necromancy to take effect, and the animal you choose is the spirit we shall bind to the skeleton." With that, the mare proceeded with the ritual in which they binded an animal of Ace's choosing to the skeleton of the pony. His aid in the ritual is quite helpful indeed, allowing it to be completed slightly more quickly than the mare expected, and soon the skeleton was walking around under the commands of the unicorn.

With that, Ace was allowed to stay on stage for the rest of the show, where he even learned to pick up a few of the tricks that he'd seen Starlit performing. Nothing too beyond what he already knew, but something beneficial, at least, and he had a somewhat broader knowledge of Necromancy than he walked in with. By the time the show was to come to a close, the spirits were all freed from their bones, save for the dove, and the tent was closed as Starlit retreated to the back room to recover her expended magical energy.

Key was waiting outside the tent by the time Ace left, giving an unimpressed look to the tent until he approached, at which point, she smiled just a little.

"That was creepy. What does she have against doves?" The Pegasus asked, her wings ruffling ever so slightly.

Sojourner

"I believe she was, but let's consult the cards..." Turner answered, her expression settling into a somewhat more solemn one as she turned the next card over her hoof, and laid it over the bottom half of the half-snake card. It depicted a murky swamp, with a lone hoof rising from the waters, as wisps of magic floated in the air. "They tell me that she led with a demon's lantern. Traps and subtlety, a beacon donned by the cunning, and one she'd be unlikely to bear if she wasn't an adventurer. Indeed, I believe Compass Rose's tales are true...but not as true as she wants them to be. I believe she's a mare of passion, perhaps too great for those around her to match..."

Horsedotes

"...no. You can't have my memories. Only what's on display." The Memory Merchant tapped his hoof against the top of one of the many jars laid out around him.

DigoDragon
2014-09-18, 08:03 PM
Ace

"That was creepy. What does she have against doves?"

"I wonder who the pony was?" Ace added, "But that was an awesome show! Key, thank you so much for taking me! I owe you big time! I think I learned something from that. About binding and animating... amazing!" The changeling was nearly buzzing with glee and quite happy to have bumped into Key. The Fete was certainly not so bad with someone you know.

"Care to interview a vampire? Or maybe get eaten by a dragon? I think it's not a real dragon, but with this place you never know."

Noctemwolf
2014-09-18, 11:41 PM
Sojourner

"I believe she was, but let's consult the cards..." Turner answered, her expression settling into a somewhat more solemn one as she turned the next card over her hoof, and laid it over the bottom half of the half-snake card. It depicted a murky swamp, with a lone hoof rising from the waters, as wisps of magic floated in the air. "They tell me that she led with a demon's lantern. Traps and subtlety, a beacon donned by the cunning, and one she'd be unlikely to bear if she wasn't an adventurer. Indeed, I believe Compass Rose's tales are true...but not as true as she wants them to be. I believe she's a mare of passion, perhaps too great for those around her to match...".

Sojourner was quiet for a moment. He was honestly a little lost with her talk of a deamon's lantern and beacons. His head was a little swirly from listening to her."Not as true as she wants them to be, a mare of passion, but. What does that mean?"

igordragonian
2014-09-19, 01:45 AM
"Ohh... that a shame. Oh well." He just picking randomly one of the jars.
"What should I do now?" Horsedotes asks.

Hazuki
2014-09-20, 11:53 AM
Ace

"I'm glad you learned something good." Skeleton Key replied with her usual almost-but-not-quite-there enthusiasm, smiling at the excited changeling with a quirk of her lips. "And I don't want to visit a tent yet. There's something I want to do first. Wait here?" The Pegasus asked with a tilt of her head, her hoof raised as though to walk back towards the Necromancer's tent.

Sojourner

"Well, you're no fun with frivolity." Turner rolled her eyes and smirked at the scaled unicorn. "I mean that she left out facts. Things happened, ponies with her, that weren't told in her stories; she wasn't lying, but she wasn't telling the whole truth. As for a mare of passion, I mean that she sought out her goal more than anypony else. That passion allowed her to survive where others couldn't, whether it was a simple will to live, or cunning in the moment, and she often allowed other ponies to get swept up in that passion."

Horsedotes

"Ideally, you'd pay first."

DigoDragon
2014-09-20, 01:04 PM
Ace

"Okay, I'll stay put!" Ace replied. He sat down and looked around the Fete to see what would be good to try next when Key got back.

Hazuki
2014-09-20, 01:19 PM
Ace

Flying up a bit to get a better view as Key trotted off along the edge of the tent, Ace could see a fair few more areas of the Fete opened up. There was the Spritestone tent, the Museum of Oddities, the Aberration Physiology Tent, Turner Tables' Harrowing tent, the Curious Music tent, the Memory Box, and Handsome Barrow's tent, along with all the others he'd seen previously. And he saw the fanciest tent of them all sitting at the center of the Fete, lined with silks, that quite clearly denoted that it belonged to Madame Skriva. Other parts of the Fete lingered beyond his view.

By the time he'd descended to the ground, Skeleton Key was walking back towards him from Starlit's tent, her footfalls steady as ever, but her eyes a little vacant.

DigoDragon
2014-09-20, 03:17 PM
Ace

The changeling cocked his head to the side. "You alright key? You look a little... spaced?"

Noctemwolf
2014-09-20, 03:44 PM
Sojourner

"Well, you're no fun with frivolity." Turner rolled her eyes and smirked at the scaled unicorn. "I mean that she left out facts. Things happened, ponies with her, that weren't told in her stories; she wasn't lying, but she wasn't telling the whole truth. As for a mare of passion, I mean that she sought out her goal more than anypony else. That passion allowed her to survive where others couldn't, whether it was a simple will to live, or cunning in the moment, and she often allowed other ponies to get swept up in that passion."

"Oh..." He said, suddenly a little embarrassed. "Right. Makes sense.

It certainly did make sense. It was a little unsettling, but he was still glad his mother wasn't a liar. Then again, he wasn't sure how much trust he put into this Harrowing. Sure he knew a little about divination, but this didn't quite seem like it was right.

"These cards say some interesting things."

I guess, leaves the tent after this? I'm sorry Guess I'm not quite sure how to have Sojourner act

igordragonian
2014-09-20, 05:49 PM
"Umm.. well of course!" he saying, pulling his wallet out of his saddle bag. "Here you go." giving him the bits.

Hazuki
2014-09-20, 06:17 PM
Ace

Key gave a shake of her head at Ace's question, slowly turning her gaze to him. "Yes. I just went to the little filly's room, Ace." She raised an eyebrow at the Changeling. As she said it, something didn't seem quite right...like there was something off with how she spoke the words, as though they weren't an organic response. They lacked a certain surly je ne sais quoi that was so integral to the mare.

Sojourner

"Indeed. They're not as much fun as real ponies, though." Turner replied, her smile never quite leaving her face. "Goodbye, I take it? I hope I've performed well. Just go to Madame Skriva if you have any complaints."

Horsedotes

After collecting the bits, the Memory Merchant allowed Horsedotes to touch the jar. There was a tingle in his head as it was filled with a particular memory of swimming through a deep lake, his form a lot stronger and sleeker than that of a mere pony. Not much happened in the memory itself, but it was far more exotic than any experience the crystal pony had ever had personally.

DigoDragon
2014-09-20, 06:51 PM
Ace (Google Translate FTW)

"Yes. I just went to the little filly's room, Ace."

The changeling rarely questioned his coworker, but something nagged him this time about the way Key said that. He decided to keep an eye on her for a while and see if he could investigate his doubts a bit deeper.

"Ah, sorry. So, any particular tent you'd like to see, or do you want to just look around for a while?" Ace asked with a smile.

Hazuki
2014-09-20, 07:15 PM
Ace

The Pegasus gave a shrug of her wings, her caramel eyes looking over the remaining trio of tents before meeting the Changeling's eyes. "Look around, I guess. Find something a little less creepy." She started walking towards one of the exits. "Maybe pick up some new things for the store."

DigoDragon
2014-09-20, 08:07 PM
Ace

"How about something with a little more action to it?" Ace suggested. "There's a neat attraction I saw earlier called The Unchangeling. It's got a decent line to it so it must be pretty good, but I won't spoil anything. You have to see it to believe it." The changeling led the way over to that tent.

Hazuki
2014-09-20, 08:29 PM
"Sounds fair." Skeleton Key trotted along beside Ace as he led her to the line leading to the Unchangeling. "Hope there isn't too much action. You seemed unnerved when we arrived." She commented, as they waited in the decent-length line to The Unchangeling, and the few squeals coming from inside the tent. This would be the chance for Ace to change before meeting the stallion who ran the joint.

DigoDragon
2014-09-20, 10:47 PM
Ace

"Ah," the changeling said softly. With a flick of his tail, he concentrated his thoughts on his alternate form. He felt his body shudder a bit as the magic flashed through him like a wave of green spicy heat. An instant later, he was now in his unicorn form.

Roll for ability cost~
4 - Splitting 2/2 on Fort/Will

Hazuki
2014-09-21, 12:23 AM
After a brief encounter with the stallion manning the door, and the exchange of a few more bits, the pair of ponies was allowed inside the tent of The Unchangeling. Its position was unchanged from the last time Ace saw it. The creature simply sat and stared at its visitors, watching them and occasionally snarling. It didn't seem to have any reaction to his or Skeleton Key's arrival.

DigoDragon
2014-09-21, 07:29 AM
Ace remained near the back of the crowd, studying Key for a bit. No unusual reaction from the Unchangeling could mean that whatever was odd with Key was something deeper down. Ace came up with a couple other ideas, but he didn't want to try them in this tent. He was going to find a tent that was relevant to Key's interests.

Hazuki
2014-09-21, 12:58 PM
After departing the tent and searching for a while, Ace and Key found a pleasant little tent on the far side of the Fete. It sold little grimoires that summarized each tent in the place, often with a small sample. They seemed to contain titbits of information about the subject, along with numerous others, such as a small collection of odd creatures' body parts. Key seemed to be examining a booklet on Handsome Barrow.

DigoDragon
2014-09-21, 01:12 PM
Ace

The disguised changeling wandered several feet away, pretending to look interested in something. He decided to try that analyzing spell he picked up from the necromancer on Key, hoping she was distracted well enough to not notice.

Spellcasting~
[roll0]
Mind: +3

Total: 10

Blaster Caster: [roll1]
(Spending 0/3 on Fort/Will for cost)

Current Values~
Fort: 28/30
Will: 35/45

Hazuki
2014-09-21, 01:21 PM
Ace's spell went off without a hitch, as everything around him suddenly became filtered through magic. Besides a few of the books possessing latent spells, he could spot a lingering spell on Skeleton Key. With just a few moments of study, he could tell that it was a spell used to enthrall, and it possessed the familiar black aura of Starlit Charm.

DigoDragon
2014-09-21, 01:28 PM
Ace [Unicorn Disguise On]

The changeling was a bit confused by the result. However it confirmed his suspicion that something was off with Key... or rather in this case something was on with her. A spell to be precise! Once the spell effect ended Ace casuall walked over to look at the booklet Key was reading.

"So whatcha got there? Someplace interesting to go see?" he asked.

Hazuki
2014-09-21, 01:33 PM
"Maybe. Not getting hurt sounds like it would be useful." Key replied. She twisted around and flashed the book at her disguised companion. "But I doubt they'd let us brawl. And they wouldn't teach me if they did."

I'm not good at stallions, okay?
http://i.imgur.com/ERlvPrr.png

DigoDragon
2014-09-21, 02:04 PM

"Brawl? What do you mean, like an arena here in the Fete?" Ace asked. He looked at the booklet to see what it had written on this Handsome Barrow fellow.

igordragonian
2014-09-22, 10:17 AM
Ace

Key gave a shake of her head at Ace's question, slowly turning her gaze to him. "Yes. I just went to the little filly's room, Ace." She raised an eyebrow at the Changeling. As she said it, something didn't seem quite right...like there was something off with how she spoke the words, as though they weren't an organic response. They lacked a certain surly je ne sais quoi that was so integral to the mare.

Sojourner

"Indeed. They're not as much fun as real ponies, though." Turner replied, her smile never quite leaving her face. "Goodbye, I take it? I hope I've performed well. Just go to Madame Skriva if you have any complaints."

Horsedotes

After collecting the bits, the Memory Merchant allowed Horsedotes to touch the jar. There was a tingle in his head as it was filled with a particular memory of swimming through a deep lake, his form a lot stronger and sleeker than that of a mere pony. Not much happened in the memory itself, but it was far more exotic than any experience the crystal pony had ever had personally.

Horsedotes.

His eyes swirling, with his whole body. "This is amazing!!!" He tell, and starting to write like wild berserker in his notebook.
"Where did you come from?! I need to know your whole story!| he hopping in his place with excitment.

Hazuki
2014-09-22, 01:18 PM
"No, with Handsome Barrow." Key flashed the booklet in front of Ace's face once more. "There isn't one. But I want to know how he doesn't get hurt. And trying to hurt him is the best way to do it. But that's not allowed, I bet. See?"

DigoDragon
2014-09-22, 01:41 PM

The changeling took a second look. "Oh, you mean the stallion is unhurtable... um, well why don't we go check it out and see for ourselves?" Ace asked. "Maybe you'll think of some sneaky way to hurt him. If, that's what the point is of his act."

Hazuki
2014-09-22, 01:45 PM
"A sneaky way to hurt him..." Skeleton Key mused, passing some of her bits to the merchant and tucking the booklet into her mane. "Wouldn't that be your kind of thing?"

DigoDragon
2014-09-22, 02:08 PM

"Maybe it is," Ace replied with a little smirk, "But you won't know unless you see it for yourself." The cheeky changeling offers to lead the way over to Handsome Barrow's tent.

Hazuki
2014-09-23, 12:22 PM
"I suppose. We know he can't do any worse than you." Key gave Ace a playful jab on the shoulder before flitting her wings and gliding upwards. After a short flight and the sight of a few Weatherpatrolponies giggling to themselves as they carried a box of Spritestones, the pair landed just outside the tent of Handsome Barrow. A few ponies were leaving with snacks in their hooves, quite a few stallions blushing.

It took only a few steps inside the tent to see why. Handsome Barrow himself stood atop a stage in the center of the room, his smile rogeuish as ever when a blast of magic shot right through his ribcage, tearing a hole through it, before it closed right back up. He drank from his glass of water and shot a wink back at the Unicorn who'd done it.

"That one almost tickled."

DigoDragon
2014-09-23, 12:53 PM
Ace

Ace dropped his land-bound disguise to fly with Key over to the tent. Upon witnessing Barrow getting blasted and healing like it was nothing, the changelings nearly dropped his jaw on the floor. "By the queen's crown, how in the world did...?" Now that was some trick! Ace looked for a pair of seats close to the action.

"What do you think, Key?" he asked his friend. "Magic didn't faze him, but I wonder if he can stand up to a good old-fashioned pegasus headlock?"

Hazuki
2014-09-23, 01:09 PM
"Hmm." Key pursed her lips as the unicorn traveled the trot of shame out of the tent. "A headlock is a submission hold, Ace. It'd just cause pain, unless...hmm." She took a seat beside the Changeling and stared as the next challenger stepped up. "We should figure out the trick. How can we do that?"

DigoDragon
2014-09-23, 01:47 PM
Ace

The changeling looked around the tent. "Well... maybe there's something with the stage he's on. Like some hidden spell being used on him. Perhaps if we get him off the stage, we could find out if that's his secret. I could try scanning it for magic as well."

Hazuki
2014-09-23, 02:53 PM
"I could start brawling you. Get you in a headlock and they won't see you casting the spell. Might attract the Barrow's attention." Key suggested, cracking her hooves. "...just don't cry this time."

DigoDragon
2014-09-24, 09:40 AM
Ace

Ace frowned a bit at the 'don't cry' part. "I wasn't ready those times," he said defensively. Ace took a defensive stance against Key, and prepared his spell. He also braced for the headlock he believed he was about to receive. "Let's do this."

Spellcasting

[roll0]
+3 Mind

Total: 7

Blaster Caster reduction: [roll1]
Paying cost: 2/2 from Fort/Will

Stealth, if prudent/allowed/required to disguise the casting action:
[roll2]
+2 Body

Total: 10

Noctemwolf
2014-09-25, 02:03 PM
Sojourner

"Yes, well, Thank you, Table Turners..." Sojourner answered, standing up slowly and making his leave of the tent.

Hazuki
2014-09-26, 12:57 PM
Ace

"Like this!" Skeleton Key announced, somewhat more loudly than a regular speaking voice, as she leaped from her seat and wrapped up Ace's head in a firm headlock. Not too tight, but about the same strength of their play fighting. She seemed to successfully block the Changeling's view with the bulk of her form, allowing him to cast the spell as a few of the other audience members shuffled away from the commotion.

"Whoa now, what is it that's gotten these two lovely patrons rattled up?" Barrow commented from the stage, a smirk on his lips as he approached the edge of it. It was at that point that Ace's spell was successfully cast. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like there were any effects besides those he knew of on Skeleton Key. Not at the moment, at least.

Skeleton Key glanced down, eyes narrowed until the glow around Ace's horn disappeared before she let him go. "Showing him my plan." She answered simply.

"Well, that's wildly unfair. Just for that, I'm going to let him go first." Barrow turned his gaze to the Changeling, lip curled up into a bit of a smirk. "Come on up, Changeling. See if you can land a hit on Handsome Barrow."

Sojourner

"Turner Tables." The unicorn corrected. As Sojourner left the tent, he was greeted with a familiar, but slightly less hectic sight, of the tents he'd first spotted and paths leading to other segments of the Fete.

DigoDragon
2014-09-26, 03:20 PM
Ace

Ace was glad that Barrow noticed them fairly quickly, as he had never been able to break out of Key's headlock before. Unfortunately, Ace wasn't sure how he could fight this Handsome Barrow pony. Well, he seemed decent looking. At least, Ace guessed so. He always had trouble understanding pony looks.

"Alright, so the name of the game is to hurt you?" Ace asked Barrow. "Any limitations to what kind of attacks I can use?"

Noctemwolf
2014-09-29, 04:26 AM
Sojourner

"Turner Tables." The unicorn corrected. As Sojourner left the tent, he was greeted with a familiar, but slightly less hectic sight, of the tents he'd first spotted and paths leading to other segments of the Fete.

"oh, yes, sorry, Miss Tables," Sojourner said with an apologetic smile as he left the tent.

That had certainly been a strange experience, but now that he was outside, it already seemed a distant memory. He had never put much faith in fortune telling, anyway. I mean, there was no way his mother had let ponies die. Right? At least, that's the way he'd interpreted her meaning. But then again, one could hardly know, with how vague it had all seemed, even when she'd tried to make it clear to him.

He looked around, feeling the scales prickle slighty and giggling, remembering the new form he had. It was kind of cool, he thought at least. He decided to wander a bit and see a few more of the sights, something to distract, and maybe forget the silly fortune telling. Something memorable, something to tell everyone, something to write about.

Hazuki
2014-10-02, 06:56 PM
Ace

Handsome Barrow smirked as Ace stepped up to the stage, a few of the ponies inching forwards in their seats to get a better view as the changeling stepped up. "You can target anything but my pride." He challenged, swishing his head to the side and allowing his glorious mane to flutter about gracefully.

Sojourner

It seemed that whoever ran the Fete had a sense of humor, as Sojourner's wish was answered swiftly. Within a few moments of thinking about what he might encounter, a yell echoes across the Fete, getting closer and closer to him. Assorted yelling of guards, a few of them near him rushing by according to some unspoken command, and the smashing of glass all alerted him to something.

"RAH RAH FIGHT THE POWER!" The smashing of glass against the ground. "YOU CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL!" The sound of lots of ponies tumbling over, getting quite close now. "HELP! HELP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED!" It's at this point that Sojourner spots a cloaked figure leaping clean over Turner Tables' tent, a trail of Fete goods trailing behind them, along with a few Pegasi guards and blasts of magic.

DigoDragon
2014-10-02, 08:18 PM
Ace

"Okay, so no pride," The changeling muttered. A pity, that was his first idea. He had no idea what kind of moves would really work on the big guy, so Ace decided to just fly at him with the intent to shove him off the stage. Though, in his mind he was pretty sure he'd just bounce off this stallion.

Roll!
[roll0]
+2 Body

Total: 8

Hazuki
2014-10-02, 08:25 PM
Handsome Barrow simply stood there and watched with a friendly smile on his face, as Ace's sudden leap took him through the air and slammed him into the side of the burly stallion. He simply stood there, solid as a rock, and watched with a smile as the Changeling slid down his side and to the ground.

"Handsome Barrow: Performer, casanova, and insecticide." The stallion himself commented, to a few chuckles in the audience.

DigoDragon
2014-10-02, 08:56 PM
Ace

"WhAt a lOusy pLace to pUt a wAll," Ace muttered dizzily. He stumbled back up to his hooves. "One more go... maybe... maybe I can lift ya and... drop you on your head or something." He put he hooves around the stallions barrel and tried to pick him up, flapping his wings for extra lift.

Roll~
[roll0]
+2 Body

Total: 4

(LOL! Sucktacular roll! Should be amusing)

Hazuki
2014-10-02, 09:01 PM
Handsome Barrow simply stands there as Ace wraps his hooves around his barrel and attempts to lift him up, straining and batting his wings furiously in an attempt to get the stallion off of the ground. Once it's clear that the Changeling isn't going to get anywhere, he smirks.

"I normally charge extra for this."

DigoDragon
2014-10-02, 09:22 PM
Ace

Ace blushed a bit (if such a thing was possible in a changeling). "Ah. Err, I wasn't trying to pick you up in... in that way... not that you're not a nice fellow... I'm sure you are... err, right. I think I'm done here." He sat down by Key and let out a huff. "It's like trying to wrestle a brick house. Either he's really that strong or I'm a wet noodle."

Hazuki
2014-10-02, 09:32 PM
Handsome Barrow just chuckles and lets Ace leave the stage, Skeleton Key looking over Ace when he returns with little more than a slight tilt of her head. "The answer is yes." She tells him, before getting to her feet and cricking her neck. "My turn." She says, and in the blink of an eye, she's darted from her seat and is hurtling towards Handsome Barrow. The stallion barely has time to start talking before her hoof has landed in his jaw, and he's sent stumbling a few steps backwards.

(I forgot to roll it in the OOC, so I rolled it off-site.)

When Key's hoof slams into Barrow's jaw, Ace's keen eyes notice than the stallion's reaction is surprisingly elastic for an earth pony. Indeed, it goes a little too far before settling back into place.

DigoDragon
2014-10-02, 09:46 PM
Ace

"Woo! Go Key!" Ace cheered. The changeling waved his hooves like this was a wrestling match, rooting for his pegasus friend. He calmed down on the shouting after a minute, remembering that Key had the weird aura earlier that Ace still hadn't figured out. Well, at least Key was doing better than he was against Barrow.

Hazuki
2014-10-02, 09:51 PM
Key's follow-up is far less impressive, being a simple left hook that easily bounces off of Barrow's cheek.

"An excellent start. But, as they say, sequels are rarely as good as the first." The stallion intones, smiling once more. Key licks her lips, fluffs her wings, then rears back...

[roll0]

And leaps forward, using her wings to guide her right over the top of Barrow's head. She takes a firm hold of his neck then darts upwards, carrying him up into the sky and shearing a hole through the top of the tent. Before anybody can scramble to get a better look at what's happening, there's a yell as the stallion comes hurtling down through the hole again and slams against the stage, bouncing a few times before her comes to rest with a grunt.

Once more, Barrow seems significantly more bouncy than he should be when he collides with the ground. Like there were no bones in him, nothing but fluid to absorb the shock. And almost as swiftly, he starts to get back to his feet, unbruised and muscles flexing.

DigoDragon
2014-10-02, 10:08 PM
Ace

The changeling was taken aback at Barrow's impossible survival. However, the way he looked like he was just fluid? Ace had an idea and wanted to try it out.

If allowed to cast this:
Ace wants to cast Freeze Ray (from the Canterlot Archives).

[roll0]
+3 Mind

Total: 12

Blaster Caster [roll1]
Will spend 1 Fort for the attempt

Hazuki
2014-10-03, 08:33 AM
The bolt of ice hurtles through the air and slams right into Handsome Barrow's chest. A crust of ice crawls all over his burly body and freezes him stiff where he stands, encased in ice. Skeleton Key flies back down through the hole, apparently prepared to go for another hit, but stops, hovering in the air with a slight tilt of her head at the frozen performer. It takes a good few moments longer than normal for the freezing spell to thaw, which earns a few congratulations from ponies sitting near him.

Still, when it thaws, Handsome Barrow shrugs at the Changeling. "You're close..but no cigar." Still hovering above the stallion, Key looks over to Ace with a questioning eyebrow.

When the spell hit, its potency didn't seem affected by Barrow's physiology any more than Ace's great skill. Indeed, it hit him like it would any flesh and blood pony.

DigoDragon
2014-10-03, 09:38 AM
Ace

"You're close..but no cigar."

"Thank you, but I don't smoke," Ace said with a grin, "But I wonder if you do?" The changeling performed a quick flourish of his hooves and this time tried to set Barrow on fire.

Spell Casting~
[roll0]
+3 Mind

Total: 8

Fire Bolt
Target: Individual
Range: Seen
Duration: Immediate
Effect: Forge
Subject: Energy, Heat
Spell Level: 7 (Easy, DT 5)
Description: The caster hurls a small ball of flame, hitting the target and setting it on fire.

Hazuki
2014-10-03, 09:54 AM
The ball of fire coats Handsome Barrow from head to hoof, setting his fur ablaze. Ace's keen eyes can just about make out how, beneath the flames and between his strands of fur, a set of rocky scales suddenly seem to form and rise up, until they're up to the very tips of his fur and there's nothing left for the flame to burn. Then, they disappear.

"I prefer to think of myself as flaming." Handsome Barrow comments, his fur only slightly singed.

DigoDragon
2014-10-03, 10:39 AM
Ace

"I prefer to think of myself as flaming."

"Well you're certainly not an ordinary pony," Ace replies as he curiously hops up on the stage. "At least, no pony that I've ever seen. However, you seem to be able to control the composition of your body, changing it in whatever way you see fit to protect yourself from damage. When Key socked you in the jaw, you made your jaw rubbery roll with her blow. Getting dropped from the sky? I bet you liquefied your bones to absorb the impact. And just now I'm sure that I saw you grow fire-resistant scales to protect you from my flames. That's your secret! We cannot hurt you because you can reshape your body to mitigate the damage. How close am I now?"

Hazuki
2014-10-03, 10:53 AM
Handsome Barrow chuckled as Ace hopped onto the stage, listening patiently to his explanation of his view of things and still smiling as he got to the end. "Well, I cannot help but compliment your observational skills. Touche." He bowed his head to the Changeling. "But I am afraid you're only partway there. You have yet to announce your theory on how altering my physiology is accomplished."

DigoDragon
2014-10-03, 12:30 PM
Ace

"But I am afraid you're only partway there. You have yet to announce your theory on how altering my physiology is accomplished."

"I admit that your talent is an enigma," Ace said as he thought about the possibilities. "So let me think this through. You have a mastery over shaping your own body without need to completely become another creature or cast a spell. So, I'd rule out you to be a changeling or unicorn in disguise. You can mimic dragon scales and... Hmm, my theory is that you are a type of Mimicker."

Hazuki
2014-10-03, 12:50 PM
"You were right the first time..." Handsome Barrow replies, smiling at Ace as his form seems to shimmer. In but a few moments, his fur has drifted away and his form becomes chitinous, although also significantly burlier than the average Changeling. It seems that his name is far from a misnomer, however, bearing the typical Changeling traits that would make one handsome. He extends a holed hoof around Ace's neck and gives him a should-hug. "Comrade."

A few of the ponies in the crowd seem significantly more worried now that there are two Changelings on stage, some of them even fleeing the room, although Key just stays hovering above the pair, expressionless.

DigoDragon
2014-10-03, 01:18 PM
Ace

Ace was quite surprised at Barrow's reveal. He had a sheepish smile and accepted the hug graciously. "Wow, you... you really surprised me. I would have never thought of that. Thank you for showing me the possibilities, Barrow." Ace was not thinking of applications of advanced shapeshifting and how that could be really useful (like maybe winning a wrestling match against Key for once). However, he noticed the crowd's apprehension, taking him only a moment to figure out why.

"Um, I think two changelings in one place is twice what your audience is comfortable with. Maybe I should let you continue your show? I promise not to give away your secret."

Hazuki
2014-10-03, 02:05 PM
"Good idea." Barrow chuckled once more and shifted back into his earth pony persona. "And thanks. Not that I'll be here past the night, but..." He whistled to one of the guards, who nodded and reached into their cloak, before tossing a small black box over to Ace. "Open it in private, then give what's inside to Madame Skriva. You forgot the prizes for figuring this out." He flashed another grin at Ace, then looked up at Key. "Don't forgot to join him. I figure you played just as much a part in this."

"Yeah." Key flew down and landed beside Ace. "He's smart."

DigoDragon
2014-10-03, 02:21 PM
Ace

Ace felt a bit warm and fuzzy hearing Key's compliment, even if they're usually a bit sarcastic-sounding. But Ace was used to that and really didn't mind it at all. He put the box in his saddlebag and stepped outside the tent, looking around the Fete for the next sight to see. "So, where to next? I think there's a fortune teller around somewhere. Want to get your future read?"

Noctemwolf
2014-10-04, 03:45 AM
Sojourner

It seemed that whoever ran the Fete had a sense of humor, as Sojourner's wish was answered swiftly. Within a few moments of thinking about what he might encounter, a yell echoes across the Fete, getting closer and closer to him. Assorted yelling of guards, a few of them near him rushing by according to some unspoken command, and the smashing of glass all alerted him to something.

"RAH RAH FIGHT THE POWER!" The smashing of glass against the ground. "YOU CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL!" The sound of lots of ponies tumbling over, getting quite close now. "HELP! HELP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED!" It's at this point that Sojourner spots a cloaked figure leaping clean over Turner Tables' tent, a trail of Fete goods trailing behind them, along with a few Pegasi guards and blasts of magic.

"w-what?"

Sojourner stood still as he watched the cloaked figure jump OVER the tent, followed by an angry couple of guard. He was frightened for just a short moment, but then, he found himself, curious. It was almost like his wish had been granted...

He wasn't able to help himself, and took off after this strange cloaked figure, following behind the guards to see what would happen, and who knew? Maybe he would even be the one to catch this masked vigilante. That would be exciting, wouldn't it?

Quite the, Adventure...

He picked up his pace as he let a small smile work across his face.

Hazuki
2014-10-04, 01:15 PM
Ace

"I already know." Skeleton Key replied, already trotting towards the tent of Turner Tables. "Punching and taxes"

Sojourner

"Ain't nopony gonna bring me down!" The cloaked pony continued with her taunts. Landing with a bit of a tumble, they were soon back on their hooves and darting between tents. "Nopony backs me into a corner!" They leaped up onto an Earth Pony's back and dived into the Aberrant Physiology store, where they slammed into the merchant and sweeped a handful of goods into their bag. "Hasta la vista, pony!" They reached into their cloak and tossed a grey orb into the ground as the guards were getting ready to charge.

A Pegasi had just arrived, wings batting to drive away the sudden smokescreen, but the cloaked figure was gone. The guards reacted with some measure of confusion, a few already moving into action to secure the area, while a lone Minotaur wandered behind the Abberant Physiology tent.

"I am the dangan!" The voice rang out once more, and the minotaur could be seen getting flung back out into the bulk of the fete. "And that." The cloaked figure trotted out of the tents. "Ain't." They pointed a hoof at the minotaur. "No." A pair of sunglasses pulled out from their cloak. "Bull." They slid the sunglasses onto their shadow-concealed face and a great cry erupted from above the fete.

"YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

DigoDragon
2014-10-04, 01:59 PM
Ace

The changeling trotted along with his friend. "But wouldn't you like a change in the routine once in a while? To do something different? Unique? Out of character?"

Hazuki
2014-10-04, 02:07 PM
Ace

"I do things when you're not around." Skeleton Key defended herself with a wing-shrug, looking over at Ace as they joined the line. "Lots of ponies do things in the dark."

DigoDragon
2014-10-04, 02:27 PM
Ace

"In the dark, really? I would have thought it be hard to see," Ace said. "Well, guess you could feel around with your wings so you're not bumping into stuff. I could get you some candles if you want. Then you can do stuff with a little light to see by."

Hazuki
2014-10-04, 04:15 PM
"Dear diary. Changelings do not understand metaphors." Skeleton Key replied, deadpan.

DigoDragon
2014-10-04, 04:48 PM
Ace

Ace tipped his head a bit to the left, trying to think of what he missed, but the changeling couldn't think of anything. He didn't see many ponies doing things out at night so... maybe he'd have to stay up later sometime? "I guess I don't," Ace whispered back, giving up for now.

Hazuki
2014-10-04, 04:50 PM
Skeleton Key smirked ever so slightly at Ace's whispered reply, reaching over and giving him a one-hooved hug over the shoulder.

Hazuki
2014-10-05, 11:56 AM
After a short wait in line, Skeleton Key and Ace were allowed to enter the tent together.

Within a few steps, the pony and Changeling duo were embraced by luxurious organic incense that overwhelmed them for only a moment before becoming pleasantly subtle. Inside the tent, the atmosphere was quite dark indeed, with the only light being a few hovering little orbs of light that seemed to trail along the outermost edges of the floor, and casted their shadows against the ceiling of the tent. The floor was covered with a rich red carpet, along with a few scattered cushions, along with a low, but wide table that sat close to the back of the tent. A larger pillow, fit for sitting on, sat on one side.

"Ah, a duo. I was hoping there'd be a challenge tonight, and since I don't believe Princess Luna responded to my letters..." Turner greeted them with a smile, then gestured to the pillows opposite her. "Let's see who's first..." She turned the card on the top of the deck over her hoof, revealing an image of what seems to be a desert; far away in the center of which is a fountain crafted in the shape of a pony. "The desert. An unhospitable environment, a place where hardship is abounds, one cannot strive without support, and if one doesn't find it...is likely to find a cruel and lonely death from starvation. Sounds fitting for a Changeling in Ponyville, doesn't it?" Her eyes flickered over to Ace.

"And your salvation.." She turned her head to Skeleton Key, then, with her other hoof, Turner Tables fliped over the next card in the deck, which shimmered before revealing an image of angry ponies, wielding torches and pitchforks as they charged across the card. "An uprising. Somepony with great strength, too much, becoming overwhelmed by it, so much so they're wrapped up in something far bigger than themselves. By their choice, who can say? Well, that's what I hope to reveal."

"The name is Turner Tables." She slid each card to the center of the table, The Desert for Ace, and The Uprising for Skeleton Key. "And I'm here to reveal your salvation...or dispel your mirage. Any questions?"

DigoDragon
2014-10-05, 01:03 PM
"And I'm here to reveal your salvation...or dispel your mirage. Any questions?"

Ace

The scraggly bits of 'mane' on the back of Ace's neck felt prickly. He didn't like the sound of the cards shown. 'Desert'. 'Uprising'. Ace took a couple seconds to think of what to ask first. "Can the overwhelming strength be controlled?"

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 10:18 AM
"Oh, I rather doubt it. There are many things greater than just one pony...and this just happens to be one of them." Turner Tables smiled and leaned back in her seat, apparently quite content with her predictions. "But if you're uncomfortable with the impossible, it can be avoided. But that requires opening one's eyes, and who does that on a whim? No, it most often involves a twenty minute debacle, or two, before anypony's problems can be solved."

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 10:21 AM
Ace

The changeling perked up a bit. "Oh? Key says I'm good at debacles. I think they're more just misunderstandings, but yeah," Ace explained, "What kind of trouble would the desert need to be in to open his eyes?"

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 10:25 AM
"That depends. If it's been avoiding you for so long, do you really want to discover it? Or...rather, does the problem want you to find it?" Turner quirked an eyebrow at Ace. Beside Ace, Skeleton Key folded her forelegs and settled her eyes on the two cards that had been drawn.

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 10:47 AM
Ace

"Well, as you said, I'm a changeling in Ponyville," Ace answered politely. "Problems and I seem to meet quite often. I'm curious to know why a problem would ever try to avoid me."

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 10:55 AM
"Imagine a world where you injure a pony. Injure them bad. So bad they'll never be able to walk again. Maybe it was an accident, or you were very angry, or you were forced to, or you even just thought it was a good idea. Then imagine that you have a chance to get away with it. You do what you can to help the pony you hurt, but you don't have to tell your family. It's honest, certainly, but would telling them really make things better? Making them distrust you? Making them worry about if they might have caused it? Parents fearing they've given birth to a nasty piece of pony? Siblings, fretting over if they'd do the same? And the stigma that would come, when their friends find out, and those you care for start losing good parts of their life because of something you did."

"Guilt. That is a reason for a problem avoiding you. Combined with paranoia, it could be what destroys a pony from the inside out. And it could be happening right under your nose." Turner smirked. "Or invisible breezies. Take your pick."

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 11:16 AM
Ace

The changeling rubbed a foreleg absentmindedly. Did it feel a bit colder in here? Several thoughts crossed his mind, one being that as a changeling he could relate to hurting ponies by accident. The other being far more scary-- the dark aura Ace saw around Key earlier was like the auras he saw in the necromancer's show. What if Turner was referring to Key being the one hurt badly? The changeling was starting to understand why he felt cold. It was worry for his best friend.

"Well, what if I still want to find out? Even if it only makes things worse, I'd want to know the truth," Ace said, though there was hesitation in his voice. "I know that might sound silly for a changeling to say, but what if this accident is repeatable. I wouldn't want it to happen again."

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 11:57 AM
"I'm afraid that's not something I can share. Giving hints and implications is the extent of how much I'm willing to share...mostly because it avoids me getting punched in the face by angry patrons. But asking those who can? That is a profitable venture." Turner replied coolly.

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 12:41 PM
Ace

Ace was crestfallen that he could only receive hints to his questions. "Okay, well is anything else you can hint at about the mirage... or the salvation?" He looked to Key to see if she had a question.

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 01:23 PM
"We'll need another card for that question, Ace Gambit." Turner smiled and slid the next card off of the top of the deck, placing it over the Uprising card. It shows a beautiful mask, being slid to the side to reveal the Changeling, clad in pretty jewelry, who wore it. "Oh, well isn't this embarrassing? Forgive me; I didn't make the cards." She chuckled. "This is the Courtesan. She represents the superficiality of social niceties; when one has to withhold a thought, or a feeling, for the fear of social pressure around them. Because that is all a pony wants; the illusion that everything around them is fine. That the Courtesan loves and cherishes them, even if only for those few moments."

"But, in truth, the Courtesan is just there for her pay, her patron for satiation. What started it all was not an accident; how they begun that path was a choice. The Courtesan represents the duality of their choice. They are the patron, who lusted for something by their own choice. The Uprising represents the strength that overwhelmed them, once they displayed that lust. And then the Courtesan comes in as herself; displaying a pretty face, a veil to hide behind. For her safety, for the pleasure of her patrons." Turner paused. "In summary, you are the patron. The problem is the Courtesan. The Courtesan is also your water. So you must ask yourself..."

Turner flipped another card over, and laid it upon the Desert. It depicted two ponies, one made of fire, the other water, and a filly of smoke held between their arms. "Marriage. Will you drink from the mirage, the courtesan's mask? The Courtesan wants you to, and it will keep you happy. But it will not fill you. Or will you remove the mask, and drink from your salvation? It will be a struggle...but ultimately more satisfying in the end. Your marriage can be prosperous, or ruinous. And only you can decide which."

Then, she looked expectantly towards Skeleton Key, anticipating her question. Key stared at her for a short time, before finally speaking. "What's a Paladin?"

"They were sometimes known as 'The Twelve Peers'. Historically, they were the foremost members of Charlemane's court, although many of their most famous exploits are largely fictitious. Throughout the years, Paladin has become a more general term for any vaguely knight-like figure who possesses a code of ethics. The closest equivalent in modern Equestria is the royal guard, but they're understandably not what you're looking for."

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 02:28 PM
Ace

The changeling was surprised that Turner knew his name without being told. "How did you know my name was Ace? Are ponies... talking about me or something?"

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 02:30 PM
Turner holds up both her hooves, eyes wide. "Magic."

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 03:30 PM
Ace

The changeling gave a small smile. He accepted the answer at face value. His mind was too busy with the information Turner told him to question it. Marriage... must be one of those metaphors again. He wasn't too quick on those, but he was sure it wasn't literal. He thought about the two choices. It seemed to him it boiled down to leaving the problem alone and remain happily unaware, or reveal the problem and be better off, but possibly hurt.

Ace took in a deep breath. He couldn't think of a good question to ask that might give him more clues to his dilemma. He ended blurting out a dumb question instead. "Can a changeling's heart be broken? Like... I mean, in the same way a pony's can? Emotionally?"

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 04:02 PM
"I believe so." Turner answered, after a few moments of pondering. "I have met numerous ponies, and non-ponies alike, and I've yet to meet anyone who I believe is incapable of love. And if one can love, it follows that one can have one's heart broken. I wonder whether that's a blessing or a curse, hmm?"

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 06:29 PM
Ace

"Well, I guess pain let's you know you're... like... alive?" Ace's own heart was feeling a bit weak. He had ideas on the card reading and it worried him. "Uh... I think I'm out of relevant questions. Key, do you have any more?"

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 06:39 PM
Key shook her head and looked over to Ace. "No. I'm ready to leave."

DigoDragon
2014-10-06, 06:55 PM
Ace

"Alright then. Thank you, Turner. It's been a nice time actually," Ace said.

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 06:57 PM
"Bye bye. Remember to tip your waitresses." Turner replied, giving a wave of her hoof as she shuffled her harrow cards back into the deck. Skeleton Key seemed quite eager to get to her hooves and march out of the tent.

Noctemwolf
2014-10-06, 10:18 PM
Ace

"I already know." Skeleton Key replied, already trotting towards the tent of Turner Tables. "Punching and taxes"

Sojourner

"Ain't nopony gonna bring me down!" The cloaked pony continued with her taunts. Landing with a bit of a tumble, they were soon back on their hooves and darting between tents. "Nopony backs me into a corner!" They leaped up onto an Earth Pony's back and dived into the Aberrant Physiology store, where they slammed into the merchant and sweeped a handful of goods into their bag. "Hasta la vista, pony!" They reached into their cloak and tossed a grey orb into the ground as the guards were getting ready to charge.

A Pegasi had just arrived, wings batting to drive away the sudden smokescreen, but the cloaked figure was gone. The guards reacted with some measure of confusion, a few already moving into action to secure the area, while a lone Minotaur wandered behind the Abberant Physiology tent.

"I am the dangan!" The voice rang out once more, and the minotaur could be seen getting flung back out into the bulk of the fete. "And that." The cloaked figure trotted out of the tents. "Ain't." They pointed a hoof at the minotaur. "No." A pair of sunglasses pulled out from their cloak. "Bull." They slid the sunglasses onto their shadow-concealed face and a great cry erupted from above the fete.

"YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Sojourner stayed back, watching to see how events would unfold. Who was this strange pony nicking good from the faire? Why was she being chased? And what was with the strange catchphrases and unusual magic? He was intrigued.

"what's happening here?" he asks the nearest guard, watching this strange pony with some excitement. efore waiting for an answer, he calls out.

"who are you?

I'm just being silly in not having him act. I went back and looked over what I said about him; mediator of disputes, a wants to be adventurer. This kind of thing should excite him and draw him in, not make him scared and drawn in. I make him act too much like me; so I've got his goals figured out. A wants to be adventurer, wants to make the world 'balanced' by mediating disputes, and wants to end up being a great author and writer. Easy enough to work this out.

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 07:08 AM
Ace

The changelings stretched his hooves when they exited the tent. "Why the interest in Paladins?" he asked Key.

Hazuki
2014-10-07, 07:32 AM
Sojourner

"I am the night!" The cloaked figure responded to the unicorn's inquiry with a dramatic wave of their hoof, while the guards advanced. Far above the fete, atop the sign that overshadowed all of it, Sojourner could spot a bolt of lightning hurtle into the pony who'd yelled in celebration and sent them hurtling towards the ground. "Oh...fiddlesticks." The figure remarked, watching as a nearby Pegasus guard took flight to catch what was quite clearly a falling filly with a hefty bag thrown over her shoulder.

Ace

"I like Paladins." Skeleton Key shrugged, as she sought out the nearest path to a convenience stand. "They're strong. Brave. Help ponies. I like that."

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 07:42 AM
Ace

Ace nodded as he followed along. "Hmm, makes sense since you have those qualities as well."

Hazuki
2014-10-07, 07:44 AM
Skeleton Key's head flashed to Ace with possibly the most confused face he'd ever seen on her. At least, compared to the surliness that normally covered it. "Since when?"

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 07:53 AM
"Since when?"

Ace smiled. "Well, you're strong, one of the braver ponies I know, and if you didn't help me get that job at the bookstore, where would I be?" he explained. "That sounds like paladin qualities to me."

Hazuki
2014-10-07, 07:59 AM
"Well." Key paused for a few moments, and the very slightest tinge of pink took to the muscular mare's cheeks. "Thanks." She ducked her head just a little bit as they arrived at a stall marked All Flavor Apple Bobbing. She handed over a couple of bits and nabbed a red apple from the water. After crunching for a few moments, she glared at the fruit. "All flavor my flank. This one tastes like an apple."

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 08:12 AM
Ace

"Maybe each apple is a different flavor?" Ace hypothesized. "I mean, if you tasted every flavor in just one apple, that would be... odd I think." He paid two bits and attempted to grab an apple out of the bucket.

Hazuki
2014-10-07, 08:17 AM
"Apple is a boring flavor." Skeleton Key huffed, tossing her apple into the nearby bucket as Ace bit into his apple. It tasted distinctly of burned meat, and his Changeling empathy allowed him to know that, whatever animal it came from was very happy in its final moments.

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 08:40 AM
Ace

The changeling's wings flittered a moment from the surprising flavor. "This one's like burned meat," he said to Key as soon as he swallowed his bite. "But like, the animal was happy before getting burned. It's definitely not an apple flavor." He offered up the side of his apple without the bite mark.

Hazuki
2014-10-07, 08:44 AM
Skeleton Key nodded and leaned over, taking a bite out of the apple. She winced ever so slightly as she chewed into the flesh of it. "How do they make these? I can't taste happiness."

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 09:31 AM
"How do they make these? I can't taste happiness."

Ace

"Well, tasting emotions might be harder if you're not a changeling," Ace stated, "But how do they make these? Well, considering the sights I've seen around, I wouldn't be surprised if this apple was meat at some point before getting changed by magic." The changeling then scrunched his nose a bit, pondering what he just said. It didn't sound so far-fetched thinking about it some more.

"Or maybe I'll be slightly surprised."

Hazuki
2014-10-07, 12:20 PM
"That's gross." Skeleton Key said simply, then handed the apple back to Ace and stared at the night sky for a few moments. "You don't believe what that crook said, right?"

~

Adelaide

Adelaide's day at work was somewhat different, compared to the regular reception she got from the inhabitants of Ponyville. There were far fewer accidents involving broken fridges, and far more that involved whether she knew anything about the upcoming Fete of Frights. Whether they thought she was actually involved, being an exotic resident skilled with technology, or might have heard of them before, she didn't get a chance to work unless she wanted to close down her workshop. There was even some hassle as the evening fast-approached, with a little gang of foals sneaking in and inspecting her gear, but they soon ran off as soon as they were spotted.

When the invitation finally came, a whispered message from Turner Tables herself, into the ear of every inhabitant of Ponyville, it was quite clear that the Fete was real; and it was waiting for everypony, just outside of town. After locking up her store and flying up, she managed to get a great view of the newly-arrived Fete, as well as the hordes of citizens that were headed towards it. It was a large collection of tents, set up near a bunch of trees, with the grandest sitting in the center. There were multiple entrances to the Fete, with guards bearing red scarves who stood all around the entrances, and even some of the tents inside. Standing tall above the Fete was a massive wooden sign, bearing the words 'The Fete of Frights' engraved into it.

With the sun setting, and the skies mostly clear of traffic, the Griffon had an excellent opportunity to fly forth and join the Fete without much hassle. A problem only arose when she flew down to one of the less-used entrances and was greeted with the sight of one Pegasus guard. When she approached to purchase permission to enter the Fete, he held up his hoof for a moment.

"Forgive me, m'am. Just need to check something." The black-maned Pegasus asked of her, a fairly deep accent affecting his voice. "Madame Lynch. Are...metal arms normally a part of griffon culture? Madame." He spoke, clearly enunciating his voice to make it as clear as possible.

His scarf suddenly replied with a feminine voice. "Madame who? Who are you calling Madame?"

"Madame. I'm not calling you Madame, just calling to ask about griffons. Madame." A few moments of silence passed, and he stared at his scarf. "Madame. Are you there? Madame." A few more moments passed, and he frowned, then looked back to Adelaide. "Uhh. Sorry about this, Madame. Not quite used to this kind of tech."

DigoDragon
2014-10-07, 12:29 PM
"You don't believe what that crook said, right?"

Ace

"I- I don't want to," Ace replied as he stared at his meat-flavored apple. The changeling shuffled his hooves. "But, It made me worry. About you."

Derjuin
2014-10-07, 02:35 PM
A few more moments passed, and he frowned, then looked back to Adelaide. "Uhh. Sorry about this, Madame. Not quite used to this kind of tech."

"Heh. S'alright," Adelaide shrugs nonchalantly, showing off the range of motion on her arm, the servomechanisms within it whirring gently. "And nah, y'won't see a lot'a griffons with stuff like this. Made it m'self, actually," she says, 'flexing' the arm. "Speakin'o'which, I probably oughtta clean up the schematics fer once..."

She looked up to the sign and then to tents beyond, making a waving movement with her left talon. "So what's up with all this magical menagerie? You ponies just kinda travel around and show off yer skills and such? S'an admirable way t'keep yer traditions alive."

Noctemwolf
2014-10-07, 07:19 PM
Sojourner

"I am the night!" The cloaked figure responded to the unicorn's inquiry with a dramatic wave of their hoof, while the guards advanced. Far above the fete, atop the sign that overshadowed all of it, Sojourner could spot a bolt of lightning hurtle into the pony who'd yelled in celebration and sent them hurtling towards the ground. "Oh...fiddlesticks." The figure remarked, watching as a nearby Pegasus guard took flight to catch what was quite clearly a falling filly with a hefty bag thrown over her shoulder.

Sojourner was ready to help in whatever way he could, hoping the Pegasus would catch the young filly, wna d was ready just in case he missed.

"Thieves?" he wondered aloud.

Hazuki
2014-10-08, 03:19 PM
Ace

"About me?" Key watched the shuffling Changeling with a raised eyebrow.

Adelaide

As soon as Adelaide finished speaking, a voice through the scarf started talking again. "Wait, is that a griffon on the other side of this? I didn't expect to find a Griffon here! Say hi to her for me!" A moment of silence. "Geroff, Lug, not in business hours." A giggle. "But I'm on the scaaarf..."

The Pegasus blushed and covered the speaker of his scarf with a hoof, smiling as he admired the craftsmanship of Adelaide's mechanical arm. "Madame. That should stop her, or stop interrupting, or..." He coughed. "I'm afraid I'm not part of the act myself, but that's the idea, m'am. Ma... Mistress Skriva started it all a while ago; a very talented zebra, if I ever met one. Good heart, too, which you wouldn't expect from most people with those kinds of talents. You'd probably fit in yourself, if you don't mind me saying such." He gave an appreciative nod towards Adelaide's arm.

Sojourner

The guard swiftly managed to catch the falling filly and darted down towards where the cloaked figure stood, slowly becoming surrounded by guards. The filly was quite evidently knocked out cold, with a white coat and multi-shaded purple mane, she had a big stack of gear attached to her back.

"We're rebels, we're saints!" The cloaked figure continued, though their voice lacked some of its luster as they looked over at the unconscious filly. "Foolish fools! I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled!" They announced, then grabbed no less than five different bottles from the Aberrant Physiology loot they'd stolen, and pulled them up to their lips. "Let go of the filly!" They tipped the bottles up, the liquid almost spilled enough to start dripping into their concealed lips. "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!"

DigoDragon
2014-10-08, 03:29 PM

Ace

The changeling stepped a bit closer to speak in a lower tone. "Tell me truthfully, when we first left the necromancer's show, you said you needed to do something and went back to Starlit's tent. Did you really just go to visit the little filly's room?"

Hazuki
2014-10-08, 03:39 PM
"...no." Skeleton Key admitted after a few moments of silence, though her voice remained steady.

DigoDragon
2014-10-08, 03:52 PM
Ace

"So, what did you do exactly?" Ace asked.

Hazuki
2014-10-08, 03:56 PM
"Nothing, in the end. She seemed fishy, so I wanted to check out what she had behind the stage. What she was doing. That kind of thing." Skeleton Key responded, looking Ace dead in the eyes as she spoke. "I found a place to look inside and decided it wasn't worth it. That's all."

DigoDragon
2014-10-08, 05:11 PM
Ace

"Oh... well did anyone see you? Or did you say anything to someone there?"

Hazuki
2014-10-08, 05:53 PM
"Not that I know of."

Derjuin
2014-10-08, 06:59 PM
Adelaide

"Heh, s'that Miss Skriva on th'... uh, scarf? Tell'er I said 'hey' as well." As the pegasus guard looks over her arm, Adelaide feels her pride swell just a bit. "Sounds like she's a fine enough pony ...er, zebra? C'never keep 'em straight... Anyway. 'Bout me gettin' in - didja need somethin' from me? Bits'r somethin?"

DigoDragon
2014-10-08, 07:02 PM
Ace

The changeling wibbled a bit, trying to think of some way to explain what he saw earlier. "Key... You know how the necromancer had me cast a detection spell so that I could see... the magic she was using on the dove? Well, it was this... dark aura around it. And... well later in the bookstore I was playing with the spell again and I... saw that same aura around you."

The last part came out rather soft, and Ace felt a bit of a lump in his throat.

Hazuki
2014-10-09, 12:08 PM
Adelaide

"Oh, oh, by Tartarus, no." The Pegasus remarked with no shortage of shock and horror in his eyes. "That's Lynch; our resident cultural expert and oddjob mare. Mistress Skriva is far more dignified. And you'll just need to hand over ten bits, then I'll give you something that will let you come in and out as much as you please. Until we leave, of course."" He offered her a smile.

Ace

Skeleton Key stared at Ace for a few long moments. She stood stock still, the gears in her brain practically audible as she pondered what he'd told her. When she finally spoke, it started with a sigh. "Well. What did it do?"

DigoDragon
2014-10-09, 12:30 PM
Ace

"Well, nothing yet I don't think," Ace quietly answered, "But I don't know why it would be on you unless the necromancer put it there to... make you suggestible for some task or to keep you away from her secrets. Whatever it's for, it might not be good."

Derjuin
2014-10-10, 12:12 AM
Adelaide

"Hah! I see. Hey, s'not too bad, ten bits." She reaches under her wing and fidgets for a minute before producing a few of the gold coins. "Er, gimme a sec," she grumbles, ruffling through the other. With a jingle, she manages to collect the ten bits needed and holds them out to the pegasus. "Where would ya send me first, if I was lookin' t'admire all yer mystical magical work?"

Noctemwolf
2014-10-10, 12:43 AM
Ace

Adelaide

As soon as Adelaide finished speaking, a voice through the scarf started talking again. "Wait, is that a griffon on the other side of this? I didn't expect to find a Griffon here! Say hi to her for me!" A moment of silence. "Geroff, Lug, not in business hours." A giggle. "But I'm on the scaaarf..."

The Pegasus blushed and covered the speaker of his scarf with a hoof, smiling as he admired the craftsmanship of Adelaide's mechanical arm. "Madame. That should stop her, or stop interrupting, or..." He coughed. "I'm afraid I'm not part of the act myself, but that's the idea, m'am. Ma... Mistress Skriva started it all a while ago; a very talented zebra, if I ever met one. Good heart, too, which you wouldn't expect from most people with those kinds of talents. You'd probably fit in yourself, if you don't mind me saying such." He gave an appreciative nod towards Adelaide's arm.

Sojourner

The guard swiftly managed to catch the falling filly and darted down towards where the cloaked figure stood, slowly becoming surrounded by guards. The filly was quite evidently knocked out cold, with a white coat and multi-shaded purple mane, she had a big stack of gear attached to her back.

"We're rebels, we're saints!" The cloaked figure continued, though their voice lacked some of its luster as they looked over at the unconscious filly. "Foolish fools! I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled!" They announced, then grabbed no less than five different bottles from the Aberrant Physiology loot they'd stolen, and pulled them up to their lips. "Let go of the filly!" They tipped the bottles up, the liquid almost spilled enough to start dripping into their concealed lips. "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!"

Sojourner was suddenly alarmed. Those potions would definitely not be good if she tried to drink them all at once.

"hey, calm down, sir, miss, pony, that's definitely not a good idea to do!" he called out, taking a few steps forward and holding out a hoof in warning.

Diplomacy roll to convince her to hopefully not drink the potions.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

highest two: [3] +2 total: [5]

edit: ... well **** XD

Hazuki
2014-10-11, 09:59 AM
Ace

"Then what do I do?" Skeleton Key whispered back. "I can't buck magic."

Adelaide

The Pegasus waited patiently for Adelaide to hand over the bits, accepting them with a smile and marking her with permission to enter the Fete. "Would it be cliche of me to say...everything?" He asked. "But for a griffon like you, I'd say Spritestones. They're these chunks of chalk that let you tag things with messages. They're just a dot until you tap the chalk to them again, then you get all the information you wrote before. Handy for cleaning up schematics, and keeping track of what you need to do."

Sojourner

"Imma do it!" The cloaked figure continued, barely shaken by Sojourner's plea. The guards around him started to look a little more nervous, even the Pegasi cradling the filly.

"Don't you do it!" One of the guards helping the minotaur up pleaded.

"Imma do it!"

"Don't you do it!"

The cloaked figure stared at the guard, then Sojourner, then the filly. "...Imma do it." They lifted the bottles up to their lips and started chugging.

DigoDragon
2014-10-11, 10:22 AM

Ace tried to think. "Well maybe... maybe there's somepony in this place who could help?" He looked around for any ideas that might point him in a good direction to start.

Mind check to think of somewhere or someone we could go to see about dispelling this~
[roll0]
+3 Mind

Total: 7

Noctemwolf
2014-10-13, 02:07 AM
Ace

Adelaide

The Pegasus waited patiently for Adelaide to hand over the bits, accepting them with a smile and marking her with permission to enter the Fete. "Would it be cliche of me to say...everything?" He asked. "But for a griffon like you, I'd say Spritestones. They're these chunks of chalk that let you tag things with messages. They're just a dot until you tap the chalk to them again, then you get all the information you wrote before. Handy for cleaning up schematics, and keeping track of what you need to do."

Sojourner

"Imma do it!" The cloaked figure continued, barely shaken by Sojourner's plea. The guards around him started to look a little more nervous, even the Pegasi cradling the filly.

"Don't you do it!" One of the guards helping the minotaur up pleaded.

"Imma do it!"

"Don't you do it!"

The cloaked figure stared at the guard, then Sojourner, then the filly. "...Imma do it." They lifted the bottles up to their lips and started chugging.

Sojourner watched in horror, hoping nothing overly bad would happen to the poor mare.

Derjuin
2014-10-13, 02:23 AM
Adelaide

"Really!" Adelaide's eyes go wide. The thought of keeping all of her notes and edits and scratches in a single magical dot made her shudder a bit. How much cleaner her blueprints could be! "Ya point the way fer me t'these 'spritestone' things? Surprised'ey're not hot stuff 'round here,"

Hazuki
2014-10-14, 01:49 PM
Ace

There are numerous guards who are of a magic-using race that would be able to help Ace. There also happens to be Handsome Barrow, who, as a Changeling, is able to use magic as a unicorn.

Adelaide

"I think most ponies would want something more spectacular. Necromancy, spirit-swapping, monsters from beyond the reaches of Equestria...spectacle over practicality, if you know what I mean." The Pegasus smiled at Adelaide, then gave her directions to the Spritestone tent. "I have to say, your enthusiasm is appreciated. I'm half-tempted to lend you my discount."

Sojourner

The pony finishes downing each of the potions, the glasses falling harmlessly to the grassy ground. They let out a groan as the potion works its way through them, face shifting from a little frown, to a deeper grimace, to a little smile, to a very big smile, another grimace, then a little smile. The cloak suddenly rushes off of their body as a series of transformations wash over them. Their legs suddenly turn clawed, their unicorn horn shrinks down to a stub, their tail grows longer and hardens into a point. Then a horde of tentacles rushes out from each of their sides, followed by an increase in size that puts them at about the height of an alicorn.

DigoDragon
2014-10-15, 07:37 AM
There are numerous guards who are of a magic-using race that would be able to help Ace. There also happens to be Handsome Barrow, who, as a Changeling, is able to use magic as a unicorn.

Ace

"Well, let's ask Barrow. Since he works here maybe he's heard of this before and can give us some advice." Ace led the way back over to Handsome Barrow's tent, and checked to see if he was in the middle of a show.

Derjuin
2014-10-15, 11:39 PM
"I think most ponies would want something more spectacular. Necromancy, spirit-swapping, monsters from beyond the reaches of Equestria...spectacle over practicality, if you know what I mean." The Pegasus smiled at Adelaide, then gave her directions to the Spritestone tent. "I have to say, your enthusiasm is appreciated. I'm half-tempted to lend you my discount."

Adelaide

"Yeah, I can see yer av'rage erryday pony lookin' for somethin' showy like that, I dunno 'bout that necromancy though." Adelaide goes over the directions again in her mind, looking for the path that would be laid out before her. "T'me these spritestones're pretty spectacular, but I guess ya could say I'm a bit peculiar. S'what a lotta folks say anyway, heheh."

When the guard mentions offering his discount to her, Adelaide blinks several times in surprise. "Y'do that for me? Be totes sweet of ya, but ya don't hafta." she says, fluffing her wings up.

Noctemwolf
2014-10-16, 05:00 PM
Ace

Adelaide

Sojourner

The pony finishes downing each of the potions, the glasses falling harmlessly to the grassy ground. They let out a groan as the potion works its way through them, face shifting from a little frown, to a deeper grimace, to a little smile, to a very big smile, another grimace, then a little smile. The cloak suddenly rushes off of their body as a series of transformations wash over them. Their legs suddenly turn clawed, their unicorn horn shrinks down to a stub, their tail grows longer and hardens into a point. Then a horde of tentacles rushes out from each of their sides, followed by an increase in size that puts them at about the height of an alicorn.

He almost felt a little... Cheated. It didn't seem to have been as bad as he thought; more like all the potions started working on her simultaneously. Not that she still wasn't an eyesore at this point.

Not that idea's weren't already running through his head. This certainly seemed like a workable premise, though he would probably have to exaggerate a little...

"Um, are you, okay?" he asked, taking a few steps forward with a look of concern.

Hazuki
2014-10-22, 10:20 AM
Ace

Skeleton Key nodded and didn't say anything on the trip back to Barrow's tent, though she did send a few suspicious glances down the faux-alleys made up by the Fete's various tents and laid-out dirt paths. He'd just finished a show by the time they arrived, and was taking a drink of water beside the stage.

~

Adelaide

The Pegasus smiled just a little more at Adelaide and nodded. "Well, not many have a friendly chat with the guards - especially not when we almost confiscate their limbs." He said, nodding his head towards her arm.

~

Sojourner

The be-tantacled filly didn't seem to want anything to do with Sojourner as he stepped up with her, instead lashing out with one of her tentacles at the Pegasus holding the other filly, then snatching her out of the air while her others flurried against the other gathered guards.

DigoDragon
2014-10-22, 11:30 AM
Ace

Mr. Barrow. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

"Excuse me, Mister Barrow?" Ace asks as he walks up to the handsome stallion. "My best friend here has a bit of a dilemma and maybe you could offer us some insight on it." The changeling gestures to the space around Key.

"Key here seems to have acquired a... a dark aura of magic that seems to have come from the Necromancer." Ace hushed his tone a bit, not wanting anyone outside Key and Barrow to hear him easily. "Allegedly. We aren't sure how to get rid of it or what it could even mean. Last thing I want is for Key to be hurt by this, but alas, my magical skills to deal with it are rudimentary. Perhaps you have can help us with this? At least some advice or insight would be most welcomed."

Hazuki
2014-10-22, 11:41 AM
Ace

Handsome Barrow greets the pair with a charming smile, listening patiently to Ace's explanation, but his face takes on the slightest frown as he listens to her dilemma. "Well, that sure sounds like Starlit - the mare's a little paranoid about her stuff. Let me just take a look-see." He smiles, shifting back to his Changeling form now that he's out of sight of any patrons, and casting a spell that makes his eyes that much more luminescent. "Yeah, looks like Starlit's work to me. Nothing to worry about, though - probably just something to keep ponies away from snooping around. I can take a crack at dispelling it, if you fancy it, but no guarantees it'll work."

DigoDragon
2014-10-22, 12:38 PM
Ace

The changeling nodded. "I would totally owe you a big one if you could give it a try," Ace replied.

Hazuki
2014-10-22, 01:23 PM
Barrow lowered his horn. "Might sting." He warned Key, before blue magic leaped from the tip of his horn and around Key's head for a moment. In a surprisingly potent surge of magic, Key shook her head and blinked.

"I...hmm. Remember seeing her now. Spotted me peeking in and told me to get out before I could do a thing." Key mentioned, looking over at Ace.

DigoDragon
2014-10-22, 02:20 PM
"I...hmm. Remember seeing her now. Spotted me peeking in and told me to get out before I could do a thing." Key mentioned, looking over at Ace.

Ace smiled a bit. "Ah-ha, so maybe that's when she hex'd you to keep out of her business," the changelings aid. "Which is... well, I thought part of the idea of this place was figuring out the tricks, but I guess she is an exception or something."

"Thank you so much, Barrow!" Ace said, turning to the big changeling. "I really am grateful for your help!"

Hazuki
2014-10-22, 02:23 PM
Barrow chuckles at Ace's comment. "Getting caught means you've not done a good job, though, aye?" He grins. "And you're welcome. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Fete!"

DigoDragon
2014-10-23, 07:20 AM
Ace

The changeling nods happily and turns to Key. "I'm glad that aura is taken care of. Let's be a little more careful sneaking into other pony's business."

Derjuin
2014-10-23, 01:13 PM
Adelaide

"Pfeheheh, nah, s'all cool. Surprised, though, usually th'ponies around here'll talk t'anyone, given the chance," Adelaide shrugs, then beats her wings to lift off. "Thanks fer the directions. Nice chattin' with ya, too! Ciao," she says, waving a quick good-bye to the guard and flapping noisily in the direction of the chalk-magic-things.

Noctemwolf
2014-10-23, 04:05 PM
Sojourner

The be-tantacled filly didn't seem to want anything to do with Sojourner as he stepped up with her, instead lashing out with one of her tentacles at the Pegasus holding the other filly, then snatching her out of the air while her others flurried against the other gathered guards.

"Not the, talkative type I see," He said, thinking for a second before shrugging. "Worth a shot," he said as his horn began to glow green.

casting
Dispel Polymorph
Target: Individual (+1)
Range: Contact (+1)
Duration: Immediate (+1)
Effect: Diminish (+1)
Subject: Body and Magic (+2)

Used to change a creature back into its original shape if it's been affected by a polymorph effect, diminishing and eliminating the effect entirely.

To remove the polymorph from the pony.

2d6 +3 []

Spending from my Willpower.

Fortitude: 20/20
Willpower: 28/40

Hazuki
2014-10-23, 04:11 PM
Sojourner

Unfortunately for the scaled stallion, his spell washed over the mutated filly. It was before she could react, and it did reverse one of her transformations, but it was only one; her horn grew back to a size that matched her new form, now protruding from her forehead all long and elegantly.

Adelaide

Adelaide soon found the stall, manned by one pony and not many patrons, with all kinds of collared spritestones lined up in packed, in glass cases, and even a particularly big Jumbo Spritestone that sat in a large case in front of the stall's owner.

Ace

Skeleton Key gave a nod of her head. "Implying we won't stop, just get better at it."

DigoDragon
2014-10-23, 07:24 PM
Skeleton Key gave a nod of her head. "Implying we won't stop, just get better at it."

"You know me so well," Ace replied with a grin.

Noctemwolf
2014-10-26, 05:46 AM
Sojourner

Unfortunately for the scaled stallion, his spell washed over the mutated filly. It was before she could react, and it did reverse one of her transformations, but it was only one; her horn grew back to a size that matched her new form, now protruding from her forehead all long and elegantly.

Adelaide

Adelaide soon found the stall, manned by one pony and not many patrons, with all kinds of collared spritestones lined up in packed, in glass cases, and even a particularly big Jumbo Spritestone that sat in a large case in front of the stall's owner.

Ace

"That didn't work as well as I'd hoped," Sojourner said with some amount of disappointment. He would need to work on that...

He decided to try again. If the potions didn't change back, the pony would be stuck like that, and he was fairly certain not many would want to stay looking like that for the rest of their lives.

[roll0] + 3 [13]

again using willpower.

Derjuin
2014-10-30, 01:34 AM
Adelaide

"Oohooo," Adelaide whistles, pressing her face gently against the case for the Jumbo Spritestone. "These're spritestones, yeah? I heard a buncha good things'bout these li'l gals," she says, shifting her gaze over to the regular-sized stones. D'ya give demonstrations?" She looks to the stall owner, her head tilted sideways.

DigoDragon
2014-10-30, 07:35 AM
Ace

"Perhaps what we could do is one of us distract her somehow while the other goes sneaking around?"