PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Would this break the warlock?

gooddragon1
2014-09-13, 12:24 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Insaniac
2014-09-13, 01:21 PM
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Resistance to damage is not a warlock's biggest problem, it just worsens the problem of not doing enough damage to be worthwhile. By the time you get vitriolic blast, unless you're a glaivelock or hellfire warlock, your eldritch blast simply doesn't provide enough dice. Allowing it to partially bypass immunities and resistances doesn't add that much. And even if you are one of the two, you're still not dealing an ubercharger's damage.

Chronos
2014-09-13, 01:39 PM
It wouldn't break the warlock, but you would want to make sure that you word the feat so that it only benefits warlocks, since it would break a lot of other classes.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-13, 01:40 PM
I agree, NO, but it does help mitigate the resist issue, and actually makes taking the thing worth it. Otherwise there really is no reason to use anything other than your basic blast as its force instead of a resistible energy type.

gooddragon1
2014-09-13, 01:41 PM
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Resistance to damage is not a warlock's biggest problem, it just worsens the problem of not doing enough damage to be worthwhile. By the time you get vitriolic blast, unless you're a glaivelock or hellfire warlock, your eldritch blast simply doesn't provide enough dice. Allowing it to partially bypass immunities and resistances doesn't add that much. And even if you are one of the two, you're still not dealing an ubercharger's damage.

Thanks, just checking before making a homebrew post.

It wouldn't break the warlock, but you would want to make sure that you word the feat so that it only benefits warlocks, since it would break a lot of other classes.

I was going to have it work for any Su, Sp, or Ex ability but okay.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-13, 02:03 PM

Could you elaborate on that? Because i can't really see how it would break anything. Any real spellcaster can already do the same thing with Energy Substitution and Searing Spell/Piercing Cold. If he actually bothers with blasting and doesn't just use a force spell, that is.
The same enhancement for acid damage is arguably less valuable because acid resistance/immunity is much rarer.

Snowbluff
2014-09-13, 03:36 PM
You can homebrew an MM system that uses the existing for the warlock to do this.

OH MAN THAT SOUNDS AWESOME IF YOU DON"T DO IT I WILL

Shinken
2014-09-13, 10:14 PM
I just wanted to point out that Warlocks can add Energy Substitution to Vitriolic Blast.

The Ravensong
2014-09-14, 12:30 AM
I just wanted to point out that Warlocks can add Energy Substitution to Vitriolic Blast.

And it can be and invisible energy substituted Vitrolic Blast.