PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Hierarchy of races

Strigon
2014-09-13, 03:38 PM
Okay, so I'm currently working on a world in which all of the races are under one central authority, and have differing positions within the world. It works on a hierarchy system, by which races are placed according to their (In the order of importance):
Ability to coexist
Intelligence/wisdom
Magical aptitude
Martial aptitude/strength
Skill (be it crafting, smithing, performing... whatever.)
My idea for this is to have the dragons be the nobles, with the golden dragons and great wyrms of other types occupying the top tier, while ogres and orcs would largely serve as a disposable working class. My main issue is that I'm having an issue with a) finding enough races to populate a hierarchy (though I haven't been searching long, admittedly), and b) determining exactly where everything falls in this system.
So, if you would be willing to direct my attention to any sentient races which would fit in, or even suggest places each could go, I would be immensely grateful.

Extra fluff:
I'm thinking of using a point value system for each of the criteria, then summing the values to determine where each falls.

It's not impossible for individuals to move up/down in the hierarchy; they need only be rich or skilled enough (in various tasks) to be useful in the place above them. Or, they could be moved down as part of a punishment for crime.

Lesser dragons (or unskilled dragons) would likely be the heads of small cities, or occupy positions of similar authority. Higher-ups might be generals, lords, heads of large cities, or even kings.

The entire world (aside from small, poor, unaffiliated colonies, or underground networks) is ruled by a very powerful, indescribably ancient, golden great wyrm.

With dragons being the most influential members of society, artifacts which are meant to control/combat them are, understandably, very illegal. Of course, that also gives way to a very lucrative black market...

(Yes, I have just cracked open the draconomicon for the first time, was it that obvious?)

madmaxx
2014-09-13, 03:53 PM
Ho,

I think the easiest way is to search the Monster Manual (pdf) for 'as characters'. Every monster that has such an entry is a playable race and as such usually sentient. For example Doppelgangers, Orcs, Drow, Minotaurs etc.

Alternatively, you could search for creatures with an intelligence of 3 or above, or search for 'languages', which should hit on basically all creatures with more than 3 int.

nedz
2014-09-13, 06:59 PM
Class > Race for this sort of stuff, and anyone can take levels in any class.

Strigon
2014-09-14, 07:02 AM
Class > Race for this sort of stuff, and anyone can take levels in any class.

I plan on having classes be more of an individual thing, which can raise a person to higher heights, but not necessarily the thing that determines everyone's place in society.