PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales Stealing plot for your game?

GoblinGilmartin
2014-09-13, 05:46 PM
So, I wrote a blog post today about stealing things from other media wholesale to put in your game and sneak past players. For me, my personal favorite instances of this were A. Stealing an entire dungeon from a freddi-fish game, and B. Working in the Graverobber from Repo! into my game.

DMs, what are some of your proudest moments of taking a plot, a character or a location from another piece of fiction and sneaking it past your group?

comicshorse
2014-09-13, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure this counts as it's pretty obscure but a lot of the LA Underworld and the Changelings involved in it in my 'Changeling the Lost' game are taken form a comic called 'Whisper'

Coidzor
2014-09-13, 06:11 PM
So, I wrote a blog post today about stealing things from other media wholesale to put in your game and sneak past players. For me, my personal favorite instances of this were A. Stealing an entire dungeon from a freddi-fish game, and B. Working in the Graverobber from Repo! into my game.

I have to ask... Were you inspired to do this by Lucahjin's playthrough of at least two of the games in that series?

DMs, what are some of your proudest moments of taking a plot, a character or a location from another piece of fiction and sneaking it past your group?

Right now the only thing that comes to mind is the landscramble between the European powers in the age of colonization and the rush for Africa, which weren't exactly fictional.

And is more of a backdrop of the setting sort of thing.

Thrudd
2014-09-13, 06:51 PM
I once roughly borrowed the plots from "Five Deadly Venoms" and "Kid with the Golden Arm" for two different one shot Feng Shui games. I didn't completely sneak the Venoms past, one of my players recognized it (I didn't think anyone in the group knew the Shaw Bros. movies that well).

St Fan
2014-09-13, 06:53 PM
Well, I wouldn't call it "sneaking past" because I was pretty open about it, but I've used several gamebooks as straight D&D 2nd edition adventures. It was usually for a solo player, so it worked very well. Sure, I usually cheated a bit, not following the storyline rigidly, to either avoid the player dying stupidly, or on the other hand to make sure the challenge was sufficient.

Most notably, I've done this way the Lone Wolf book The Cauldron of Fear from beginning to end, with minimal setting adjustment.

Oh yes, I remember now, I've also turned Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom into an adventure, again quite faithfully, for AD&D. The plane ride was turned into giant eagle ride, if my memory is good (or was it a dragon?). The player hadn't seen the movie yet, so it worked.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-09-13, 06:58 PM
I have to ask... Were you inspired to do this by Lucahjin's playthrough of at least two of the games in that series?

T'was not. I played those games all the time as a kid, and I just had the idea to do so, based on the ancient passages and gem puzzle.. I downloaded FF3 and clocked how long it took me to get to the end. Two minutes. When I got to the end, I mapped out on grid paper which rooms were connected and how, then I made a map.

TheThan
2014-09-13, 07:07 PM
Not so much a plot but a character.

For a iron kingdoms game I created a NPC; specifically a Llaelese noble of dubious reputation. His home base had been moved to Corvis ahead of the Khadorian invasion of Llael (suggesting he has either impeccable timing or that he knew the invasion was coming). This guy had his fingers in everything, he had connections to the Llaelese resistance, was mixed up with the Kayazy and a ton of other stuff. He was basically a gangster and a major part of the campaign.

In order to show how corrupt this guy was I made him grossly obese. Almost every time the party had dealings with him he was eating. I mean he had a feast laid out in front of him. He drank expensive wine, would take a bite off a piece of food and throw the rest away, that sort of stuff. I gave him a pretty “slave girl” to hang off of him; I even gave him a weasely majordomo to introduce people to him.

It wasn’t until one of my players referred to him as Jabba that it dawned on me. I had nearly strait up copied Jabba the Hutt.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-09-13, 07:34 PM
Not so much a plot but a character.

For a iron kingdoms game I created a NPC; specifically a Llaelese noble of dubious reputation. His home base had been moved to Corvis ahead of the Khadorian invasion of Llael (suggesting he has either impeccable timing or that he knew the invasion was coming). This guy had his fingers in everything, he had connections to the Llaelese resistance, was mixed up with the Kayazy and a ton of other stuff. He was basically a gangster and a major part of the campaign.

In order to show how corrupt this guy was I made him grossly obese. Almost every time the party had dealings with him he was eating. I mean he had a feast laid out in front of him. He drank expensive wine, would take a bite of a piece of food and throw the rest away, that sort of stuff. I gave him a pretty “slave girl” to hang off of him; I even gave him a weasely majordomo to introduce people to him.

It wasn’t until one of my players referred to him as Jabba that I dawned on me. I had nearly strait up copied Jabba the Hutt.

Love it. How did you handle it after that?

TheThan
2014-09-13, 07:45 PM
Love it. How did you handle it after that?

I actually head-desked because I didn’t realize that I copied Jabba, and I’m the starwars nerd.

after this stunning realization I had the “slave girl” take over his organization after he choked to death on a chicken bone. She was Ordic and secretly part of the King Baird’s spy network.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-09-13, 07:49 PM
I actually head-desked because I didn’t realize that I copied Jabba, and I’m the starwars nerd.

after this stunning realization I had the “slave girl” take over his organization after he choked to death on a chicken bone. She was Ordic and secretly part of the King Baird’s spy network.

Smoooth. Very smooth.

DiBastet
2014-09-13, 07:56 PM
Wow, so much. Entire plot arcs from obscure ps1 rpgs, that most of my players never heard about, adventures from old dungeon magazines and images from movies. But specially magic items. I have a big file with magic item descriptions from lots of games; dragon age, witcher, castlevania, breath of fire... most times my players find an item with a cool, interesting story, it's from a game, and they never realize it. (Like Heirsplitter, a dwarven axe that became magical because of its story, being the axe of a noble that killed many other in glorious battle but that was later taken in battle by an opponent that used to cleave open the noble's head. Some time later his noble sister dropped the axe down a mine shaft and it hit in the head a young noble in a lower level, also cleaving his head. The axe was deemed cursed and long forgotten. In my games it caused extra damage against highborn people)

TheThan
2014-09-13, 08:06 PM
Smoooth. Very smooth.

It actually made sense; the party had never seen the guy without the girl. So I decided she was present for every major dealing this guy had with people, so she knew everything.

TheEmerged
2014-09-13, 08:38 PM
Oh Dear God yes, I've done this.

My "crowning moment" of this has to be during the Alternity campaign (our second longest-running). It's a science fiction campaign where the PC's run a franchise of a mercenary megacorporation. The "awesome twist" the players figured out quickly is that it was actually the far future of a fantasy campaign we'd done once upon a time (pun intended) and now each of the major races from that campaign were on separate planets just reaching the point of space travel.

Well, one of the races (Wood Elves) that was initially thought to be missing turned out to just be highly isolationist and the PC's took a job to try and break the ice \ open up real contact with them. They landed to find that grass\trees\environment was garishly colored, with different elves (the odd names) wearing outfits of the same color, speaking about how they loved Friend Planet, and living in some kind of weird caste system that the players were trying to figure out when I saw the light go on in one of the player's eyes. Followed immediately by a facepalm. "TheEmerged, you didn't."

I had. The Wood Elf planet was essentially the Alpha Complex. From Paranoia(tm).

That's one of two or three times the gamer group threatened to kill me :smallbiggrin:

============================

The current campaign is named Sky High, after the Disney movie of the same name, and like my signature says the name ain't the only thing I borrowed. The students in the class the PC's are in include...

Shino (a direct lift), Pain (renamed PushPull and brought more in line with the power level), and Hinata (leavened with Psylocke of the X-men and named "Bah Ne" like a character from the old Jem cartoon) from the Naruto world.

Drummer & Jakita (and originally Elijah Snow) from the Planetary comic.

Forearm and Strobe, villains from the X-men group The MLF (Mutant Liberation Front).

"Ylsa", a pretty direct translation of Elsa from Frozen (one of the players is a pre-teen girl, this was pretty much demanded) who replaced Elijah Snow

Goose, a direct lift from the old Galaxy Rangers cartoon.

GloriaGal (with a different power set) and Trixie from an obscure TV show called "The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam!"

Rapier, essentially the Queen of Swords (a female Zorro knockoff).

Shield, essentially a female Captain America one-off (main difference being that she can share her defenses instead of throwing said shield).

Clutch, a merger of the character from the earlier issues of the 80's GIJoe comic with the "motorcycle mecha" from the third act of the Robotech cartoon.

AFOB - Arms Fall Off Boy, a joke character from the Legion of Superheroes comic, played straight. No really, I started out going "How can I make this a legitimate power?" and went from there.

Sphere (a female) is actually a merger of a non-speaking extra from the Sky High movie itself merged with Bouncing Boy from the Legion of Superheroes. The game is in HERO System, and the "Bouncing Boy" is a known semi-exploit in that system. Mr. Boyd is a one-off of the Mr. Boy from the Sky High movie as well.

Tyler Marlocke from the PS238 comic. Additionally, I merged the boy that can turn anything into food from PS238's Rainmaker Program with Matter Eater Lad from the Legion of Superheroes to create "MEL". Zodon from PS238 is merged with a couple similar mad scientists types & took the name of Medula from the Sky High movie.

...and many others, including characters from previous superheroic campaigns we've run. Heck the PC's include a character loosely based on Doctor Who and a character who might be described as the child of Gambit (X-Men) and Claire (Heroes). There are many adult NPC's in the world that the PC's haven't met yet that are one-offs and direct lifts from the Avengers & JLA (Warbird, AKA Captain\ MS Marvel, for example, is Tyler Marlocke's mom here).

valadil
2014-09-13, 08:50 PM
Fight Club. One player wanted to play a crazy character so I gave him a pet Tyler Durden. Took the party the entire game to figure it out.

TheThan
2014-09-14, 01:00 AM
Fight Club. One player wanted to play a crazy character so I gave him a pet Tyler Durden. Took the party the entire game to figure it out.

That's actually pretty clever. I'll have to remember to do the same should someone try to create a crazy character. It's been years since i've seen fight club, but we don't talk about fight club.

runeghost
2014-09-14, 01:30 AM
I ran a successful Shadowrun game where I stole the plot from the Three Musketeers wholesale. Feuding corps replaced France and England, corporate espionage replaced romance, prototype Diamond Chips replaced the Diamond Necklace. NPCs were lifted practically straight across - The Red Bishop as the string-pulling head of security for one corp, the amoral mercenary Lady Winter, and, of course, Duke of Buckingham George Villiers as himself (the Villiers family runs one of Shadowrun's canon megacorps).

The players had fun (naturally they were, without knowing it, the Musketeers), but never had a clue that I was stealing the plot.

Totema
2014-09-14, 01:40 AM
For the game I'm currently writing up, I'm basically stealing the entire ending to Final Fantasy II. The BBEG is actually banking on the party killing him, so that his ghostly spirit can rise up to take over the Lower Planes and return again as a powerful archdemon.

GoblinGilmartin
2014-09-14, 04:36 AM
I ran a successful Shadowrun game where I stole the plot from the Three Musketeers wholesale. Feuding corps replaced France and England, corporate espionage replaced romance, prototype Diamond Chips replaced the Diamond Necklace. NPCs were lifted practically straight across - The Red Bishop as the string-pulling head of security for one corp, the amoral mercenary Lady Winter, and, of course, Duke of Buckingham George Villiers as himself (the Villiers family runs one of Shadowrun's canon megacorps).

The players had fun (naturally they were, without knowing it, the Musketeers), but never had a clue that I was stealing the plot.

*clap**clap**clap**clap*

Yora
2014-09-14, 05:00 AM
Pretty much everything I do is based on seeing something and thinking I could do better.

Almost all of my setting is made that way.

However particularly cool is my idea for the next big adventure after the current one, which is based on the Feros level from Mass Effect, with an aboleth and a snakeman sorcerer.

Gettles
2014-09-14, 05:28 AM
I've lifted Ankh-Morpork wholesale from Discworld and then threw Dr. Dinosaur from Atomic Robo in there for good measure. I had plans to incorporate an Abolith as a Forever from the Ayreon albums but it never happened. That was fun.

But pretty much everything I've ever run or played has been blatantly stolen. Sometimes I even both to file off the serial number.

LibraryOgre
2014-09-14, 04:24 PM
I stole the beginning sequence (in the mining colony) from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords for a Savage Worlds: Mass Effect game.

Coidzor
2014-09-14, 05:58 PM
I stole the beginning sequence (in the mining colony) from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords for a Savage Worlds: Mass Effect game.

Ooo~ How did you handle HK-50?

LibraryOgre
2014-09-14, 07:22 PM
Ooo~ How did you handle HK-50?

Never fully developed it. Mostly the general "You wake up in a dead space station."

DigoDragon
2014-09-14, 08:18 PM
I ran a Shadowrun mission where the PCs were hired to solve a murder mystery at an old mansion. The players didn't figure out until near the end that I had, in fact, stolen not only the plot to the game board Clue, but stole the layout of the mansion from Kill Doctor Lucky. I even mixed it up a bit where some of the NPCs (and yes I shamelessly kept a lot of the original names like Sergeant Gray, Scarlet, Col. mustard, etc.) did actively try to kill Dr. Lucky, but had failed.

In the end, the PCs finally deduced correctly that doctor's own dog killed him, having been a werewolf kind of monstrosity.

Rakaydos
2014-09-16, 07:27 PM
I keep meaning to map out Luigi's Mansion (for game cube) and use it as a dungeon map.

I did put Daniel Leary and Adel Mundy (With the Lightnings, by David Drake) in my Star Wars: Age of Rebelion game as imperial defectors.

Totema
2014-09-16, 07:43 PM
I keep meaning to map out Luigi's Mansion (for game cube) and use it as a dungeon map.

Ohh... That sounds delightful. I would love to run that dungeon. :smallsmile:

veti
2014-09-18, 06:38 PM
True story, which I made the basis for a campaign:

In 1598, a pair of English adventurer/merchant/would-be diplomats arrived at the court of the Shah of Persia, with the aim of (a) getting rich, and (b) stirring up the Persians against the Turks, who were at that time threatening the very heart of Europe. The Shah was all for it - the Persians never needed much stirring to attack the Turks - and employed them as mercenaries to teach his army the arts of modern artillery, before dispatching them as emissaries to the most important courts of Europe to try to unite the Christian powers in a crusade against the Turks.

(For context, you need to understand that this was 300 years after the last crusade, and the Christian powers had been fully occupied fighting each other for much of the past century. It'd be like someone today saying "why don't we get a bunch of people together and go grow tobacco in Virginia, I hear there's good profit to be made there".)

The Englishmen spent the next 3 years travelling all over Europe, trying very hard to hobnob with the great and powerful wherever they went, and of course utterly failed to produce any kind of "crusade".

My campaign didn't work out quite the same way... To this day, I'm not sure whether the real life or the campaign version unfolded into the more unlikely adventure.

BioCharge
2014-09-19, 06:15 AM
It's not so much plot, but again some characters. I'm running a modified 3.5/Pathfinder hybrid in a custom setting using the Necromorphs from Dead Space as primary enemies as well as making the main antagonist be very similar to Dr. Challus Mercer from the first game. I was also pretty honest about it with a pair of my players who had recognized it, but the others had no clue.

BWR
2014-09-19, 06:52 AM
I steal plots and characters and elements all over the place. That's not counting adventures and ideas from one game I've hammered into another (like running a bunch of Traveller scenarios for Dragonstar).
- Ringworld for Dragonstar. It ended badly. This was years ago and my gf still bitches about occasionally.
- Dead Space for a Star Wars game. This one ended ok. Jedi have a slight advantage over an engineer
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia for an Oriental Adventures game. This one was ok.

TomPliss
2014-09-19, 07:34 AM
Don't tell me you don't want to base a city on the City of Ember (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kjcmfXZ6hHk/Tef56bw7_6I/AAAAAAAABOQ/P9PxYNtV6hA/s1600/02_matte_COE_01__dmp.jpg).

Wraith
2014-09-19, 07:53 AM
This is my standard go-to tactic for running a one-shot adventure! :smalltongue:

Most recently I ran a quick Vampire: The Masquerade game, and the local 40-story building that hosts the Princes' Elysium became the setting for the plot from Die Hard. I didn't tell the players, just let them in, gave them an office to sit and wait in, and then unleashed the Sabbat 'terrorists'. :smallbiggrin:

SLA Industries became The Raid. A fight in Feng Shui became the junkyard scene from Superman III. Dark Heresy became Yojimbo. It's as much fun to run, as it is waiting to see how long it takes the players to realise what you're doing (and to date, none of mine have until after the fact... :smallwink: )

Jay R
2014-09-19, 08:16 AM
Not a plot, but I've stolen a location. I spent several years going to Philmont Scout Ranch, including two years as a Ranger, so I know the trails and camps quite well. In two campaigns I have used that location. It has the advantage that when the players ask for most information about the area, I don't have to make it up; I remember it.

I didn't invent where the dungeon emerges; I know exactly where the Contention mine is. Miner's Park is clearly a good forest park for elves, and Baldy Mountain is a thriving dwarf community. I even included the bones of a dragon who flew into the mountain on a stormy night, right where the plane crash was.

(Also, the Rangers in that area all wear green outfits.)

lytokk
2014-09-19, 09:00 AM
Use the tooth of time at all? Only been there once but I remember being told we need to wake up before sunrise to watch the sun come up while on the tooth.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-09-19, 09:22 AM
I once used the Weeping Angels, the Vashta Nerada, the Silents, the Empty Child, and the Isolus in a Fae-centric World of Darkness campaign. Oh, and the cracks in the wall from Season 5. With tweaks, of course. The whole campaign wound up being very involved, here's the recap (http://playerside.blogspot.com/search/label/unspent). Looking back, I'm still a bit floored at how it tied together.

The Metaplot
There was an imprisoned Fae Lord whose intradimensional prison was cracking. He was reaching out and feeding into individuals with unfulfilled desires in order to widen those cracks.

Weeping Angels: an old Church, where the statues were possessed by the Glamour-empowered ghost of a little girl who had been buried in the churchyard. The child had been illegitimate, despised by the town, and murdered because of it. Ergo? "Don't look at me!" The statues couldn't move when people were looking at them, because of the shame the child had felt from the town.
The Empty Child & the Isolus: stealing also from The Orphanage here, it was a child wearing a burlap sack on his head, walking around and asking "Are you my mommy?" The child was also sketching people in crayon, and thus trapping them in drawings. Come to find out, the child's face was hideously distorted, because he was a half-hobgoblin. His mother, traumatized, had neglected him.
Vashta Nerada: one of the Changelings who the players befriended had shadow-based abilities. When she was captured by the Fae Lord, she turned into a menacing shadow-being in the local theater.
Cracks in the Wall: this was straightforward enough: the cracks in the Fae Lord's prison were manifesting all across time, in various places in this one town. One of the party members got halfway stuck in one because of a backstabbing Changeling (who wanted to find a way INTO the prison to kill the Fae Lord).
The Silents: throughout this all, one of the party members had been receiving mysterious notes in her own handwriting. We found out that this was because one of her allies had been partially trapped in the Fae Lord's prison. He was able to witness events as they unfolded (and in the future), and tried reaching out through cracks to warn that character. She forgot ever seeing him, but wrote down his warnings.

Oh, and when the prison started to crack wide open, I took liberal inspiration from Paprika.

Jay R
2014-09-19, 10:17 AM
Use the tooth of time at all? Only been there once but I remember being told we need to wake up before sunrise to watch the sun come up while on the tooth.

Of course. In my first game, there was a time/space nexus on top of the Tooth of Time. It served both to provide any monster I wanted (a Vulcan away team, once), but also as an oracle. Four miles to the west, at Shaefer's Pass, the spring was magical, and served as a healing potion (but only there - if you took water with you, it was just water.) Down below, a mile south and 1,800 feet down, was an abandoned fort (the stockade) and down the creek a little was a very small settlement of three families (Badger Camp).

About ten miles to the south, one group met an older man named Christopher who had retired and built a home there. He was extremely knowledgeable about the wilderness. None of them recognized Christopher (Kit) Carson - located at Kit Carson's actual home.

As I say, the advantage is that I know this land.

In my current game, they will soon see it, and it will serve as a landmark. I won't reveal here what they might find up there.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-09-19, 10:32 AM
Don't know if this counts, but I once ran a Judge Dredd scenario that was basically a sequel to the "Executioner" storyline (for those that don't know it, it's about a woman, who was once a cadet Judge but was expelled from the Academy of Justice for fraternising with a man who then became her husband, killing mobsters who her husband had owed money to and had subsequently killed himself, then committing suicide by cop by walking into the Judge's gunfire after she'd killed her last target).

The only bad point was that while our resident comic book fan recognised what was going on (he did have some help - I quickly recreated the original's calling card and handed it over just before a quick break in play), but didn't remember any of the story, so I didn't get to use all the work I'd done obfuscating the killer :

the original Executioner's now adult daughter

Nobot
2014-09-19, 11:06 AM
I once used the plots from Alien and Aliens; replacing the alien creature with a parasite that took control of its host making it a zombie/alien hybrid adventure. Not very original, but all players really wanted to play a game like that. It ended up great!

Velaryon
2014-09-19, 06:02 PM
What I do most often is steal names from books or video games that I think my players won't recognize. The Suikoden games were a gold mine, as were the Song of Ice and Fire books before the TV show came along.

As for characters and plot ideas, I've had the party attacked by Robin Hood and his Merry Men, who were lying in wait on the road to rob adventurers of their money to distribute among the common folk. Once they realized what I was doing, the players (grudgingly) chose not to kill him and in fact donated to Sir Robin's cause.

In my currently dormant Forgotten Realms campaign, Tethyr is currently affected by a heat wave/drought brought on by an item I swiped from one of the Wheel of Time books. It's powerful enough to override control weather spells and the party hasn't yet figured out what's causing the problem or how to stop it.

One time my party took a mission from a venerable gnome wizard who I didn't realize til after the fact had an awful lot in common with Yoda, right down to having an unusual speech pattern (he mixed up past, present, and future tense all the time).

Talentless
2014-09-20, 04:16 AM
Played a Ranger with Leadership once whose entire backstory was basically ripped from Beauty and the Beast.

Gaston as the Ranger, except a good guy with the Beast as a Bugbear Cleric whoKilled the girl while Gaston was scaling the cliff after surviving the long fall.

Was rather fun when everyone else finally got a hold of the backstory and realized that I took a Disney Fairy Tale and played the premise completely straight.

Harbinger
2014-09-20, 02:34 PM

That game, and that sequence specifically, is one of my most fondly remembered gaming moments. I lift bits of it all the time. I also shamelessly ripped off the underwater research station from the first game, with Dominated researchers and a mind flayer rather than crazy selkath and the giant shark. Later on in that same game I had an antagonist who was essentially a toned down combination of Darth Sion and SCP-106 (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-106).

They were also prosecuted for showing feelings by a Judge Worm, which of course I ripped from Pink Floyd's The Wall.

LibraryOgre
2014-09-20, 03:43 PM
That game, and that sequence specifically, is one of my most fondly remembered gaming moments. I lift bits of it all the time. I also shamelessly ripped off the underwater research station from the first game, with Dominated researchers and a mind flayer rather than crazy selkath and the giant shark. Later on in that same game I had an antagonist who was essentially a toned down combination of Darth Sion and SCP-106 (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-106).

They were also prosecuted for showing feelings by a Judge Worm, which of course I ripped from Pink Floyd's The Wall.

For fondest computer game memories, I've made good use of Quest for Glory 1: So you want to be a hero.

Strigon
2014-09-20, 08:55 PM
Well, let's see...
I've used several seasons of Supernatural, a couple plot arcs from Red vs. Blue, I've done the same thing as someone else here, using the beginning of KotOR II as a plot hook...
Took some jobs straight out of Firefly, just modified for a D&D setting (The Train Job became a caravan raid)...

OOH! One of my favourites was completely ripping off Sheogorath, and then giving him the powers of Gabriel (back to Supernatural). He didn't put them in alternate realities, but he did mess with them an awful lot, including using the Deck of Many Things, which none of my PC's had ever encountered before, so that was fun...

I've used a couple of SilverClawShift's campaigns (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?116836-The-SilverClawShift-Campaign-Archives), slightly modified for my casual-bordering-on-the-incompetent gaming group. (Not trying to be rude; it's just they're mostly in it for the wacky things that happen, not so much for the deep and compelling world.)

Also, despite my promises not to, I may have taken a couple episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
That is, after censoring all of the blatant lessons about friendship, and adding a couple more evil encounters.

Also,

You've just fueled another one of my dungeons, thanks!

Edit:

... I also shamelessly ripped off the underwater research station from the first game, with Dominated researchers and a mind flayer rather than crazy selkath and the giant shark. ... I had an antagonist who was essentially a toned down combination of Darth Sion and SCP-106.

Now I have to replay the entire original game, just to see if I missed any other goldmines like this one. (Spoiler alert: I can tell you right now I did).

Also, I never even considered SCP's as antagonists... or magical items...
It's going to be a brave new world for my PCs!

GoblinGilmartin
2014-09-20, 11:10 PM
Yeah, SCPs are a goldmine of things ripe for adding to a game.