PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Prestige Monk [PEACH]

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-13, 07:15 PM
The zen master of unarmed combat is a very common character archetype, and no two depictions of it are exactly the same. Thus, the monk class, redone as a prestige class to accommodate a variety of character backgrounds.

Hit die: d8. Skills: 4+Int/level. Class skills: same as Monk base class.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Unarmored Speed Bonus

Unarmed Strike, Flurry of Blows (1 attack, -2 penalty), Slow Fall, AC Bonus
+0 ft.

Evasion, Zen Mastery (AC)
+5 ft.

Purity of Mind, Uncanny Dodge, Ki Strike (Magic)
+10 ft.

Purity of Body (Disease), Flurry of Blows (1 attack, -1 penalty)
+10 ft.

Rapid Flurry, Zen Mastery (Attack/Damage)
+15 ft.

Purity of Soul, Ki Strike (Cold Iron, Silver)
+20 ft.

Flurry of Blows (2 attacks, -1 penalty)
+20 ft.

Purity of Body (Poison), Zen Mastery (Skills)
+25 ft.

Improved Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Ki Strike (Adamantine)
+30 ft.

Slow Fall (any distance), Flurry of Blows (2 attacks, no penalty)
+30 ft.

Alignment: Any nonchaotic
Skills: Climb 4 ranks, Jump 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple
Special: A character with levels in the Monk base class (PHB 39) cannot take levels in the Prestige Monk prestige class, and vice versa.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
A prestige monk gains proficiency with the cestus/hand wraps (see below), kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham. These weapons are special monk weapons; whenever the phrase "special monk weapons" appears in the description of a class feature, feat, spell, or other element of rules text, it refers to all of the above weapons. They gain no proficiency with any other weapons, or with armor or shields.

Unarmed Strike (Ex):
A prestige monk's unarmed strikes can deliver blows of nearly inhuman force. A prestige monk determines the damage dealt by their unarmed strikes based on their character level; see table 1-2. All unarmed strikes delivered by a prestige monk deal damage equal to the normal damage dice plus the prestige monk's Strength modifier, ignoring damage penalties for offhand attacks. When a prestige monk attacks with a special monk weapon other the cestus/hand wraps, the weapon deals the damage based on the prestige monk's character level, indicated on table 1-2. This damage can be lethal or nonlethal at the prestige monk's discretion, with no penalties on attack rolls for either.

The prestige monk can make unarmed strikes with any part of their body that could readily be used as a striking surface. For example, kicks, elbow strikes, headbutts, and shoulder slams are all appropriate unarmed striking methods, but a prestige monk cannot use body parts that are not exposed (such as the stomach or lungs), nor can they use exterior parts of the body that would be impractical for use as weapons (such as the tongue or the small of the back). What body parts are and are not acceptable for making unarmed strikes is up to each DM to determine for themselves on a case-by-case basis. A prestige monk using a Cestus or Hand Wraps must have the appropriate hand(s) free to use them for making unarmed strikes (for example, they

A prestige monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons (such as the magic fang and magic weapon spells).

Flurry of Blows (Ex):
As long as a prestige monk is unarmored, they may strike with a flurry of blows as a full attack action. They may make an extra attack at their highest base attack bonus, but all attacks they make until the start of their next turn (including those taken during a flurry of blows) take a -2 penalty to hit. At 4th level, this penalty is lessened to -1. At 7th level, two extra attacks may be made instead of one. At 10th level, there is not penalty to attack rolls due to using a flurry of blows. All attacks made during a flurry of blows must be made using unarmed strikes and/or special monk weapons. Each end of a quarterstaff counts as one weapon for the purposes of a flurry of blows. All weapons used during a flurry of blows deal damage equal to their normal damage dice + the prestige monk's Strength modifier.

Slow Fall (Ex):
A prestige monk can reduce the rate at which they fall if they have a nearby wall to brace against. As long as they are within arm's reach of a wall and capable of touching the wall, they may treat the fall as if it were 10 feet shorter per class level (for example, a sixth-level prestige monk treats all falls as if they were 60 feet shorter); in addition, they always land on their feet unless they choose to do so. If a prestige monk is within reach of more than one wall (such as in an inside corner, a narrow crevasse, or a vertical chimney), multiply the falling distance they would normally ignore by the number of walls they can reach to determine the amount of falling distance they ignore (thus, a fourth-level prestige monk within reach of two walls reduces the effective distance from a fall by 80 feet).

A 10th-level prestige monk can ignore any and all damage that a fall would deal as long as they are able to reach one or more walls. In addition, a 10th-level prestige monk can make a Climb check at any point during the fall to catch themselves, and can begin climbing upwards on their next action. The DC for this check is 5 higher than the normal DC for ascending the surface that is within arm's reach (thus, to catch themselves on a brick wall, a 10th-level prestige monk would need to make a DC 30 Climb check).

As an added benefit, a prestige monk receives a +5 competence bonus to Climb checks made when descending a surface, can take 10 on those climb checks even if stress and distractions would normally prevent them from doing so, and they can descend surfaces at normal speed without penalty.

AC Bonus (Ex):
A prestige monk adds one-half their class level, rounded up, as an untyped bonus to their armor class as long as they are unarmored and carrying no more than a light load. They lose this bonus when they are immobilized or helpless, when they wear any armor, when they carry a shield, or when they carry a medium or heavy load.

Unarmored Speed Bonus (Ex):
A prestige monk's base land speed increases by the amount shown in table 1-1. This speed increase is lost whenever a monk is wearing armor or carrying more than a light load, but is regained when neither of those conditions apply.

Evasion (Ex):
As the Rogue class feature, see PHB page 50.

Zen Mastery (Ex):
A prestige monk of 2nd level or higher adds their Wisdom bonus (if any) as an insight bonus to their Armor Class. They lose this bonus when they are immobilized or helpless, when they wear any armor, when they carry a shield, or when they carry a medium or heavy load.

A prestige monk of 5th level or higher may apply their Wisdom modifier instead of their Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls made with unarmed strikes or special monk weapons.

A prestige monk of 8th level of higher adds their Wisdom bonus (if any) as an insight bonus to any Strength- or Dexterity-based skill checks and ability checks.

Purity of Mind (Ex):
A prestige monk of 3rd level or higher adds their class level as an untyped bonus to saving throws made against mind-affecting spells, or effects.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
As the rogue class feature, see PHB page 50.

Ki Strike (Su):
At 3rd level, a prestige monk's fists (and feet, and forehead, and all other striking surfaces on their body) are imbued with truly superhuman power. Their unarmed strikes count as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, with an effective enhancement bonus equal to one-half the prestige monk's class level rounded down. This enhancement bonus does not apply to attack and damage rolls; it is only used for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

At 6th level, a prestige monk's unarmed strikes also count as both cold iron and silver for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

At 9th level, a prestige monk's unarmed strikes also count as adamantine for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Purity of Body (Ex):
At 5th level, a prestige monk gains control over their body’s immune system. They gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases (such as mummy rot and lycanthropy).

At 8th level, a prestige monk is in such firm control of their own metabolism that they gain immunity to poisons of all kinds. In addition, they gain immunity to magical diseases as well as normal diseases.

Rapid Flurry (Ex):
A prestige monk of 5th level or higher can, as a full-round action, move up to their speed and make a full attack at the end of their movement, as long as the full attack made is a flurry of blows.

Purity of Soul (Su):
A prestige monk of 6th level or higher gains spell resistance equal to 15+the prestige monk's class level+the prestige monk's Wisdom modifier. This spell resistance can be raised and/or lowered as a free action. When a monk would be rendered incapacitated or unconscious, they can as a free action denote any number of individuals who may ignore their spell resistance when casting spells with the (harmless) descriptor. When the prestige monk is no longer incapacitated or unconscious, the denoted individuals must resume either attempting to overcome the prestige monk's spell resistance or convincing the prestige monk to lower their spell resistance in order to receive a spell.

Improved Evasion (Ex):
As the rogue class feature, see PHB page 51.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
As the rogue class feature, see PHB page 50.
If a character with levels in Prestige Monk later enters a prestige class that progresses non-prestige monk abilities (such as Flurry of Blows), they may advance their prestige monk abilities instead. For every two levels gained in a prestige class that advances non-prestige monk abilities (regardless of which non-prestige monk abilities that prestige class advances), a character is treated as having gained a level of prestige monk for the purposes of their Flurry of Blows ability, their AC bonus, their unarmored speed bonus, and their Slow Fall distance.

For example, a character with 5 levels of Prestige Monk and 10 levels of Tattooed Monk (which progress the unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonuses of the non-prestige monk) would have the Flurry of Blows, AC bonus, unarmored speed bonus, and Slow Fall distance of a 10th-level prestige monk.

Character Level
Unarmed Strike and Quarterstaff Damage
Kama, Nunchaku, and Siangham Damage*
Sai Damage*
Shuriken Damage*

4th-8th
1d8
1d6
1d4
1d3

9th-12th
2d6
1d8
1d6
1d4

13th-16th
2d8
2d6
1d8
1d6

17th-20th
2d12
2d8
2d6
1d8

*These damage values only apply to attacks made while unarmored and only during a round in which the prestige monk wielding these weapons only attacks with special monk weapons and/or unarmed strikes.

The Cestus and Hand Wraps are identical in all ways other than name or appearance. Each deals damage equal to the wielding character's unarmed strike damage; in addition, a character using a Cestus or Hand Wraps may treat them as unarmed strikes or as manufactured weapons at their own discretion. For example, they may be used during a prestige monk's flurry of blows to deal damage equal to the prestige monk's normal unarmed strike, but they may also have weapon enchantments placed on them. A pair of Cestuses, or a pair of Hand Wraps, must be enchanted as one weapon.
9-13-2014: Uploaded to forums.
9-16-2014: Changed BAB from Average to Good.
9-16-2014: Increased unarmed damage/monk weapon damage progression; made tables all pretty-like.
9-27-2014: Removed the accidental second instance of Purity of Soul from the class table.
12-2-2014: Added the Ki Strike ability.
12-3-2014: Added the "Special: Other Prestige Classes" sidebar.

atemu1234
2014-09-15, 03:17 PM
I rather like it, but it needs another boost to unarmed strike to be worth something.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-15, 03:28 PM
I rather like it, but it needs another boost to unarmed strike to be worth something.

Thank you!

Do you mean another boost damage-wise, or in some other way? I thought adding the Cestus/Hand Wraps (which essentially let the monk get weapon enchantments on their unarmed strikes without shelling out for an amulet of natural attacks, and while keeping their neck slot open) would be enough to keep their damage up; maybe not as high up as the average übercharger, but not as low as the base class monk's damage often is.

atemu1234
2014-09-15, 05:09 PM
Thank you!

Do you mean another boost damage-wise, or in some other way? I thought adding the Cestus/Hand Wraps (which essentially let the monk get weapon enchantments on their unarmed strikes without shelling out for an amulet of natural attacks, and while keeping their neck slot open) would be enough to keep their damage up; maybe not as high up as the average übercharger, but not as low as the base class monk's damage often is.

The wraps are good (in fact, I made something similar for unarmed-strikers in my games with brass knuckles (made out of materials other than brass, of course) but a boost in damage, as well as a boost in damage per level (it's a little bit on the weak side, progression-wise) that a boost is in order.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-15, 06:44 PM
The wraps are good (in fact, I made something similar for unarmed-strikers in my games with brass knuckles (made out of materials other than brass, of course) but a boost in damage, as well as a boost in damage per level (it's a little bit on the weak side, progression-wise) that a boost is in order.

Maybe I should speed up the unarmed damage progression, so that base unarmed strikes deal 1d8 at levels 4-6, 1d10 at 7-9, 2d6 at 10-12, 2d8 at 13-15, 2d10 at 16-18, and 2d12 (or 4d6) at 19-20? Something along those lines?

atemu1234
2014-09-15, 08:28 PM
Maybe I should speed up the unarmed damage progression, so that base unarmed strikes deal 1d8 at levels 4-6, 1d10 at 7-9, 2d6 at 10-12, 2d8 at 13-15, 2d10 at 16-18, and 2d12 (or 4d6) at 19-20? Something along those lines?

Go with classic size progressions for the dice. I'd say 1d6 for 1-4, 1d8 for 5-8, 2d6 for 9-12, 2d8 for 13-16, and 4d6 at 17+. Maybe provide an epic progression, too.

jamieth
2014-09-15, 11:38 PM
One nice thing from PF monk you might consider: while Flurrying, monk levels are treated as full-BAB. (I mean, medium BAB hurts prestige monk a bit less, since he only loses 3 BAB as opposed to 5, but still)

Vhaidara
2014-09-16, 07:16 AM
1. Make it full BAB, please. I think everyone agrees that was the biggest problem with Monk
2. Wis to hit and damage, please.
3. Prestigious Base Classes are 15 levels, not 10

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-16, 12:09 PM
1. Make it full BAB, please. I think everyone agrees that was the biggest problem with Monk
2. Wis to hit and damage, please.
3. Prestigious Base Classes are 15 levels, not 10

1. Will do, now that I've gotten two opinions on it.
2. Already done. From the original post:
A prestige monk of 5th level or higher may apply their Wisdom modifier instead of their Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls made with unarmed strikes or special monk weapons.Unless you think they should get both Wisdom AND Strength to attack and damage? I could add that as a capstone, possibly.
3. Despite its name, this isn't meant to fit into the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger variant system; it's a stand-alone prestige class. There's at least one point in the description (in the Requirements, I think) that I say that anyone with levels in base Monk can't take levels in Prestige Monk, to avoid doubling up on FoB/Wis to AC/whatever. Making someone take 15 levels in monk to get the good stuff is just cruel. But then, I could keep it mostly as-is and then add more stuff, like a third flurry attack... I'll think about it.

Teapot Salty
2014-09-16, 04:25 PM
I'm gonna point out, and I speak from experience, is that if you are trained with both sticks and fists, the stick is going to be more dangerous. Perhaps if the damage was added to the original base damage of the weapons?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-16, 05:04 PM
I'm gonna point out, and I speak from experience, is that if you are trained with both sticks and fists, the stick is going to be more dangerous. Perhaps if the damage was added to the original base damage of the weapons?

Hm. The normal monk doesn't deal extra damage with monk weapons; no matter their level a quarterstaff always deals 1d6. I guess I for some reason wanted to keep that implied encouragement of normal unarmed strike use. However, some of the monk weapons also have other stuff (can be used to trip, give bonuses to disarm, can be thrown), so I felt it would be fair for those to deal slightly less damage. Maybe I'll make the quarterstaff match base UAS damage, but that's sorta what the Cestus/Hand Wraps are for.

Go with classic size progressions for the dice. I'd say 1d6 for 1-4, 1d8 for 5-8, 2d6 for 9-12, 2d8 for 13-16, and 4d6 at 17+. Maybe provide an epic progression, too.

ETA: Did this, but at 17+ it's 2d12. 4d6 just looks... wrong for some reason. And the d12 doesn't get enough love anyways. No epic progression yet, unsure if I'll include it. Superior Unarmed Strike, after all, doesn't have an epic progression. Maybe an Epic Unarmed Strike feat?

atemu1234
2014-09-17, 07:10 AM
Hm. The normal monk doesn't deal extra damage with monk weapons; no matter their level a quarterstaff always deals 1d6. I guess I for some reason wanted to keep that implied encouragement of normal unarmed strike use. However, some of the monk weapons also have other stuff (can be used to trip, give bonuses to disarm, can be thrown), so I felt it would be fair for those to deal slightly less damage. Maybe I'll make the quarterstaff match base UAS damage, but that's sorta what the Cestus/Hand Wraps are for.

ETA: Did this, but at 17+ it's 2d12. 4d6 just looks... wrong for some reason. And the d12 doesn't get enough love anyways. No epic progression yet, unsure if I'll include it. Superior Unarmed Strike, after all, doesn't have an epic progression. Maybe an Epic Unarmed Strike feat?

Actually, it's one of the things I didn't like about Superior Unarmed Strike. Along with a few houserules about that feat I made, giving it an epic progression was one of them.

So far this class looks like a decent PrC for a Neutral/Lawful Rogue to go into, to be honest. Also, I didn't specifically look, but you shouldn't make there be a "no-multiclassing-again-ever" clause. Monks are made for multiclassing.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-17, 08:09 AM
Actually, it's one of the things I didn't like about Superior Unarmed Strike. Along with a few houserules about that feat I made, giving it an epic progression was one of them.

So far this class looks like a decent PrC for a Neutral/Lawful Rogue to go into, to be honest. Also, I didn't specifically look, but you shouldn't make there be a "no-multiclassing-again-ever" clause. Monks are made for multiclassing.

Oh, don't worry, I left the "no-multiclassing" clause out. I'll consider an epic progression for unarmed damage, but I'm not sure how high it should go or how fast it should be.

And yeah, this class is intended to be a short dip for martial types who want to fight unarmed, or a full 10 levels of goodness for sneaky types who want the same thing. Level 4 is supposed to be the dipping breakpoint. Levels 1-3 gets you:

Bonus to unarmed damage (scales with character level, not class level)
Flurry of Blows 1 extra attack/-2 to hit
Ability to ignore 30 feet of falling distance (60 if adjacent to two walls, nice for sliding down corners)
Evasion
Wisdom to AC, and an additional untyped +2
+3 on saves vs. mind-affecting
Uncanny Dodge

And then those who want can keep going for the rest of the goodies (wisdom to attack/damage, immunity to disease/poison, spell resistance that's actually usable, improved evasion/uncanny dodge, ability to move+flurry, and two flurry attacks at no penalty).

Speaking of the higher-level goodies, what do you all think of the Purity of Soul and Rapid Flurry abilities? PoS is, obviously, a revamp of the monk's crap SR ability to make it useful, and to give them more free stuff for having high wisdom. Rapid Flurry is sort of new, though. I wanted them to be something other than full attack turrets, but giving them pounce wouldn't really fit with the fluff (IMO at least), so I compromised with a single move+flurry (which, if they stay in the class until at least 9th level, can still get them as much movement as any normal character's charge would).

Amnoriath
2014-09-17, 09:46 AM

No need for that, an unarmed strike is a natural attack so its base damage can be increased rather easily even with just core material.

aleucard
2014-09-17, 01:46 PM
How does this thing interact with Effective Monk Level boosters like the Monk's Belt and assorted Monk Progression PrC's? Maybe add an Epic Progression for the relevant stuff if someone's THAT devoted to the concept, it's not like the Monk bonuses are all that massive compared to some of the other horrific **** that a PrC could provide even to a melee type, but still.

Really, though, one of my favorite things about this class? You can be non-Lawful, thus all the monk/barbarian combinations that some lunatics have come up with (for instance, Bear Warrior to tell Jack Black to shut the @#$% up and show them all how a Kung Fu Panda is REALLY done) immediately become valid. Bless your insane little heart. :smallbiggrin:

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-17, 02:08 PM
How does this thing interact with Effective Monk Level boosters like the Monk's Belt and assorted Monk Progression PrC's? Maybe add an Epic Progression for the relevant stuff if someone's THAT devoted to the concept, it's not like the Monk bonuses are all that massive compared to some of the other horrific **** that a PrC could provide even to a melee type, but still.

I should add something resolving this. Maybe a character with Prestige Monk levels adds the bonus from Monk's Belt/another PrC to their Prestige Monk level, while a character with normal Monk levels (or one without levels for either) applies the bonuses to their base monk levels?

Really, though, one of my favorite things about this class? You can be non-Lawful, thus all the monk/barbarian combinations that some lunatics have come up with (for instance, Bear Warrior to tell Jack Black to shut the @#$% up and show them all how a Kung Fu Panda is REALLY done) immediately become valid. Bless your insane little heart. :smallbiggrin:

Thank you! I'm glad somebody noticed. How about a Bard/Monk with Dragonfire Inspiration?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 04:22 PM
Bumping for further commentary, because I can't think of any improvements to make. Is it good as-is? Is there something I should add/remove? What do you think of the PrC as a whole?

atemu1234
2014-09-27, 12:31 PM
Bumping for further commentary, because I can't think of any improvements to make. Is it good as-is? Is there something I should add/remove? What do you think of the PrC as a whole?

I like it. I've been annoyed with the horribleness that seems to consume the class itself, this PrC is 10x better.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-30, 11:54 PM
Bumping to see if anyone else has thoughts to contribute to this. I may be posting one or two sample builds sometime, so suggestions as to what those should be would be nice.

AOKost
2014-12-02, 11:34 PM
I would love to see this progress much further. An increase in damage over time as has already been done, but moreso. Maybe treat it as increasing the size of a weapon to help determine values. As much as I enjoy the 2d12, 4d6, to 5d6, 6d6, etc... Just a thought.

Figuring out other thing's that would increase with this progression besides AC Bonus, and Magic Resistance will be easy enough, but other aspects might not be. Will this prestige monk start gaining Ki strikes that overcome some forms of damage reduction? Or will it gain other benefits from other Monk Prestige classes?

I can't wait to see how this developes! Please keep progressing! I will give any suggestions I can or help in any way I can to advance this!

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-02, 11:53 PM
I would love to see this progress much further. An increase in damage over time as has already been done, but moreso. Maybe treat it as increasing the size of a weapon to help determine values. As much as I enjoy the 2d12, 4d6, to 5d6, 6d6, etc... Just a thought.

I'm a bit leery about increasing weapon size because a common tactic with Monk is to increase size anyways, and damage increases don't scale evenly with size increases. It could get a bit out of hand, so I think I'll leave unarmed damage as it is.

Figuring out other thing's that would increase with this progression besides AC Bonus, and Magic Resistance will be easy enough, but other aspects might not be. Will this prestige monk start gaining Ki strikes that overcome some forms of damage reduction? Or will it gain other benefits from other Monk Prestige classes?

I thought about Ki Strikes, but I've already added the Cestus/Hand Wraps, so I think I'll just leave those in as a way for unarmed strikes to overcome magic-based DR. You have a good point about adamantine and other special materials; maybe should I add a Ki Strike ability that overcomes those? Possibly Magic at 3, Cold Iron/Silver at 6, and Adamantine at 9?

I can't wait to see how this developes! Please keep progressing! I will give any suggestions I can or help in any way I can to advance this!

Thanks! I like what I've done with this a lot better than I like the original monk class, hopefully I can convince future DMs to let me use it.

AOKost
2014-12-03, 12:26 AM
I do know what you mean by increasing size for weapon damage, it was just an idea. My main thought for the Ki strike suggestion was more for the materials sutch as adamantine, silver, cold iron, lawful, etc., as I figured you had intended the cestus to overcome magic already, but that could also overcome special materials I guess...

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-03, 12:28 AM
I do know what you mean by increasing size for weapon damage, it was just an idea. My main thought for the Ki strike suggestion was more for the materials sutch as adamantine, silver, cold iron, lawful, etc., as I figured you had intended the cestus to overcome magic already, but that could also overcome special materials I guess...

Not really. Hard to have, say, adamantine hand wraps. They'd be kind of a non-removable item...

I'll add /magic, /cold iron, /silver, and /adamantine to the class progression. Martials should get nice things.

AOKost
2014-12-03, 08:22 AM
I completely agree with you, martials should get nice things. Monks have always been a bit left out on that aspect due to their good saves, and lack of ability to wear armor... This class goes a long way to helping with that!

Have you thought about taking anything from regular Monk Prestige Classes? So far, everything is from basic monk...

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-03, 05:40 PM
Have you thought about taking anything from regular Monk Prestige Classes? So far, everything is from basic monk...

Not really. There are enough of those (Tattooed Monk, Fist of Zuoken, Cloud Anchorite, Drunken Master, Disciple of the Word, etc) that trying to incorporate those abilities as well would be too cluttered. I'll add some rules for progressing from Prestige Monk into one of those, though. Maybe something where any other classes that progress non-prestige monk abilities also progress prestige monk abilities at half the rate? Since the prestige monk abilities scale about twice as fast, I think that seems fair. Then you could have builds that are X 5/Prestige Monk 5/Monk PrC 10, and they still get the flurry of blows, AC bonus, speed bonus, and slow fall distance of a 10th-level prestige monk.