PDA

View Full Version : Do you know where Belgravia is?

lio45
2014-09-13, 07:19 PM
This post on the first page of the Alabama thread made me curious to try this...

Same with Slovenia though, when I hear the name I think "Eastern European", so I know the general area.

So, the question is (mostly) meant for non-Europeans, and goes:

If I showed you a borderless map of Europe, would you be able to point to Belgravia? No cheating. :P

Here's a free hint which is information that I did possess at the time so it's only fair to share it: Belgrade is the current capital of Serbia and was capital of Yugoslavia for all of the country's near-century-long existence; it was also the capital of Serbia for a few hundred years in the middle ages. So, Slavic city, Eastern Europe.

More hints if needed... :P

nedz
2014-09-13, 07:29 PM
Yes, of course — but you've kind of given the answer away already.

Grinner
2014-09-13, 07:39 PM
'Fraid not. I can name most of the western European countries, including Luxembourg, but that's probably because of the several WW2 classes I've taken. I could probably pick out Greece and Albania, though. For the former, I'd attribute that to Greece being the subject of many 4x strategy games, and for the latter, I just like Albania's name.

Aedilred
2014-09-13, 07:52 PM
I do know where Belgravia is, although I'm disqualified as mentioned. Although even my instinct on first hearing it is to think of somewhere else, then correct myself.

Mutant Sheep
2014-09-13, 08:04 PM
Well, you specified non-Brits. So I'm going to assume the Belgrade thing is either a misdirect or a hint as to ethnic neighborhood. ...*tries to think if Britain even has a comparable ethnic hodgepodge of town culture*

Its prolly some England-Londoney Serbian immigrii neighborhood. *points to southern England in a vague manner, hopes it isn't in Scotland*

lio45
2014-09-13, 08:04 PM
Yes, of course — but you've kind of given the answer away already.

Edit: Actually, you're kinda right. I should change the OP.

Terraoblivion
2014-09-13, 08:07 PM
If it is in fact around Belgrade as the name and your hint suggests, I could point out the general area at least. And by general area I mean that I could probably hit within Serbia and definitely within the former Yugoslavia.

Edit: And I can say that I did not, in fact, know where it was, even though I've been within walking distance several times.

lio45
2014-09-13, 08:09 PM
If it is in fact around Belgrade as the name and your hint suggests...

FYI, my hint is just a way to make sure the people reading the OP possess the same kind of (misleading) info I did when I first heard that name... ;)

Brother Oni
2014-09-13, 08:11 PM
Its prolly some England-Londoney Serbian immigrii neighborhood. *points to southern England in a vague manner, hopes it isn't in Scotland*

Surprisingly, the London district of Belgravia is named for the Viscount Belgrave (better known as the Duke of Westminister) who used to own large chunks of it, and not for the country: link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgravia).

lio45
2014-09-13, 08:16 PM
Although even my instinct on first hearing it is to think of somewhere else, then correct myself.

So if you heard on the radio from BBC News that pro-Russian rebels who appear to be backed by Russian military equipment have seized control of Belgravia and that Putin is claiming he had nothing to do with it, your instinct on first hearing might be something like "meh, business as usual over there..."? ;) :P

Do know that it's even worse for us non-Londoners :)

Grinner
2014-09-13, 08:30 PM
FYI, my hint is just a way to make sure the people reading the OP possess the same kind of (misleading) info I did when I first heard that name... ;)

Well, hey, you got us. (I'm glad it wasn't just the American that fell for it, though.)

Mauve Shirt
2014-09-13, 08:33 PM
Belgravia is a district in London. Anyone who's seen Sherlock knows this.

Terraoblivion
2014-09-13, 08:34 PM
Well, hey, you got us. (I'm glad it wasn't just the American that fell for it, though.)

I was thinking of Belgrade before I even saw the hint. It kind of is the obvious place to think about.

A Rainy Knight
2014-09-13, 08:55 PM
For what it's worth, I ended up in the right ballpark thanks to the fact that I can't keep Belgrade and Belfast straight in my head.

Nilehus
2014-09-13, 09:03 PM
... Of course I could! Without checking Google Maps or anything! Who couldn't?

Was that too strong? Nah, perfect.

Ifni
2014-09-13, 09:03 PM
Heh. I guessed it was in Britain based on the initial wording of the question (aimed at non-Brits, fake clue about Belgrade), but I didn't know the answer off-hand.

(I'm Australian, currently living in the US.)

Aedilred
2014-09-13, 09:07 PM
So if you heard on the radio from BBC News that pro-Russian rebels who appear to be backed by Russian military equipment have seized control of Belgravia and that Putin is claiming he had nothing to do with it, your instinct on first hearing might be something like "meh, business as usual over there..."? ;) :P

Do know that it's even worse for us non-Londoners :)
It might well be, for about ten seconds...

And hey! I'm not a Londoner, I just live here :smalltongue:

Terraoblivion
2014-09-13, 09:10 PM
Heh. I guessed it was in Britain based on the initial wording of the question (aimed at non-Brits, fake clue about Belgrade), but I didn't know the answer off-hand.

(I'm Australian, currently living in the US.)

I figured that it was important in some beloved British cultural icon or another. And Belgravia could easily be the region that Belgrade is in, with the difference being a grammatical variant meaning of Belgrade or the opposite, I don't speak Serbian.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-13, 09:13 PM
Sheriff: Please don't restart locked threads.