View Full Version : To chameleon or not to chameleon, that is the question.

iTreeby
2014-09-13, 08:08 PM
I am currently playing a level thirteen changeling. I took rogue for the first 8 levels (with a racial substitution for taking ten on most socials) into warshaper 5 (i realize flashmorph isn't really worth the level, I'm not super attached to the fifth level).where do I go from here? more rogue levels? I saw the Prc Chameleon, it seems like it would help me maintain my cover better plus it seems like a cool way to pick up a funky casting list plus i might be able to retrain to rogue5/chameleon4/warshaper5 when i level up, but i'm not sure the casting is worth the lost sneak attack.

the party consists of a vanilla druid, an archery ranger, a half dragon sorcerer, a cleric of boccob, "sir" Duncan the smashy warhulk spiked chain user, and myself.

hath the playground any advice on what weird Chameleon spells overlap in super cool ways, or perhaps another PRC? thanks y'all.

Jack_Simth
2014-09-13, 09:20 PM
The Chameleon is one of those PrC's that's usually either two-level dip at some point or a full ten levels as early as possible.

As a two-level dip, it's wonderful for the floating feat, a small number of low-level utility spells, and a small boost to your role of choice for the day.
As a ten-level comittment, it makes for a wonderful dispeller (CL 20 at level 15) or a backup for whatever the party happens to be lacking.

Yes, there are some nifty tricks you can pull with chameleon - mostly centering around the class's ability to pull spells from ANY list, and thus being able to use spells early because they're a lower level spell on an obscure list somewhere (e.g., Heal as a 5th level spell thanks to the Adept) - and it'll fit your apparent target role (social face) fairly well.

bekeleven
2014-09-14, 07:12 AM
Chameleon is a fun class because the optimization level covers the entire board. It can pump a fighter into a better fighter, or build a full caster taking down wizards. It requires a few specific tricks to get 9th level spells, so most people play it as the solid caster/trickster it was built to be.

Still, it supports nearly every build that doesn't start as a full caster. Factotum is my favored entry.

So to answer your question, chameleon.