PDA

View Full Version : Good gish PrCs for paladins?

atemu1234
2014-09-13, 08:43 PM
Namely for Sorcerer/Paladins.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-13, 09:06 PM
Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8 is the ideal build. If you deviate from that at all you'll either not get 9th level spells or you'll not get a +16 BAB by 20th level.

You'll want to take Ancestral Relic (BoED) and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224). If you can't put sanctified spells on that (BoED) such as (Greater) Luminous Armor, then you'll need to spend a feat on Arcane Preparation (CA) so you can prepare and cast spells, which gives you automatic access to sanctified spells. This is because (Greater) Luminous Armor is the only abjuration spell that provides an armor bonus to your AC, and thus benefits from Abjurant Champion.

Make the character an Illumian from Races of Destiny if possible, with the Naenhoon runeword, and pick up Persistent Spell. This will allow you to spend turn undead uses from Sacred Exorcist to persist two Sorcerer spells per day (Wraithstrike, Draconic Polymorph, Bite of the Werebear, Greater/Superior Invisibility, etc.), since Divine Metamagic can only be used with divine spells post-errata.

Edit: Don't even consider Battle Sorcerer or Stalwart Sorcerer, both give you extremely temporary benefits in exchange for an entire career of severely gimped spellcasting. Neither one is ever worth it unless you're making an ill-advised single-classed Sorcerer.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-13, 09:13 PM
Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8 is the ideal build. If you deviate from that at all you'll either not get 9th level spells or you'll not get a +16 BAB by 20th level.

You'll want to take Ancestral Relic (BoED) and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224). If you can't put sanctified spells on that (BoED) such as (Greater) Luminous Armor, then you'll need to spend a feat on Arcane Preparation (CA) so you can prepare and cast spells, which gives you automatic access to sanctified spells. This is because (Greater) Luminous Armor is the only abjuration spell that provides an armor bonus to your AC, and thus benefits from Abjurant Champion.

Make the character an Illumian from Races of Destiny if possible, with the Naenhoon runeword, and pick up Persistent Spell. This will allow you to spend turn undead uses from Sacred Exorcist to persist two Sorcerer spells per day (Wraithstrike, Draconic Polymorph, Bite of the Werebear, Greater/Superior Invisibility, etc.), since Divine Metamagic can only be used with divine spells post-errata.

Edit: Don't even consider Battle Sorcerer or Stalwart Sorcerer, both give you extremely temporary benefits in exchange for an entire career of severely gimped spellcasting. Neither one is ever worth it unless you're making an ill-advised single-classed Sorcerer.

Biff's advice is pretty spot on, so you definitely should follow it if your DM allows, however I have a minor nitpick, (Greater) Luminous Armour isn't the only abjuration spells that provides and armour bonus, Armour of Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/armorOfDarkness.htm) Also gives amour bonus, though now that I compared them head to head, the sanctified spells are strictly better.

DarkSonic1337
2014-09-13, 09:33 PM
....Armor of Darkness provides a deflection bonus, not an armor bonus.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-13, 09:34 PM
Biff's advice is pretty spot on, so you definitely should follow it if your DM allows, however I have a minor nitpick, (Greater) Luminous Armour isn't the only abjuration spells that provides and armour bonus, Armour of Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/armorOfDarkness.htm) Also gives amour bonus, though now that I compared them head to head, the sanctified spells are strictly better.

"it grants the recipient a +3 deflection bonus to Armor Class plus an additional +1 for every four caster levels (maximum bonus +8)."

Abjurant Champion's Abjurant Armor class feature only benefits armor and shield bonuses, not deflection bonuses.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-13, 09:49 PM
>_< Don't mind me... I can't read

Blackhawk748
2014-09-13, 09:56 PM
Also dont forget about Shield, first level spell that gives a shield bonus to AC which will be increased by Abjurant Champion